5.0 out of 5 stars Wherein we learn the Hulk dislikes walls
I'm a sucker for a good Lego game, and fortunately pretty much all of the Traveler's Tales Lego games have been quite good. I'm pleased to report that this is no exception.

Published 11 months ago by Chris Swanson

3.0 out of 5 stars Love to play it, hate to play it
I preordered the game and am just now getting around to actually sitting down an playing it. It's a fun game with bit of funny fluff that you really don't see in the comics or even the movies. Much more kid friendly to be sure, and I don't mind that one bit. I love playing through as all the different characters and just hearing what they've got to say.

I also...
Published 9 months ago by VooDoo

5.0 out of 5 stars Wherein we learn the Hulk dislikes walls, October 22, 2013
This review is from: Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (Video Game)

Yes,it's more smashing objects, completing missions, smashing objects, unlocking characters, smashing objects, collecting studs (for the curious, this time you get "True Believer" because of course you do), and smashing even more objects. It's a formula that works, and if this game lacks any sense of real innovation (though there are actually times when it benefits you to have the Hulk turn into Bruce Banner), it makes up for that with a good sense of fun.

In the game, our heroes deal with Doctor Doom and Loki, who have teamed up to recover Cosmic Bricks left by the Silver Surfer. Within the first mission and cut scenes thereafter, you see not only those three characters, but also Sandman, the Abomination, the Hulk, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Maria Hill, Agent Coulson, Nick Fury, Captain America and Mister Fantastic.

The game is good clean fun, and suitable for ages six and up, roughly. The violence is far less than what you'd get with the average kids cartoon, and the puzzles may baffle the youngest players, but the older ones will do just fine.

I'm overall extremely pleased with this game. TT continues to prove that they really "get" the various franchises they work with and that they understand what makes Lego so much fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars As fantastic as Batman 2 (and probably even better), October 23, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (Video Game)
I'm a fan of Marvel (and D.C) super heroes and Lego and I didn't think TT Games could come up with a better game than Batman 2. I was so wrong. lego Marvel Super Heroes is as fantastic as Batman 2. It has every imaginable Marvel super hero. Ever since I've watched The Avengers, I've been wanting a game where all the Super Heroes unite and TT Games provides me with that in the form of mini Lego super heroes!

I'm a few hours into the game, and so far my six-year-old nephew and I are loving it! Normally, he hates playing any game by himself and nags me to play with him. For the first time, he played it without me. I honestly gawked at him and told him to wait for me, since I also wanted to play it. He didn't wait.

The graphics look absolutely gorgeous and this game has all the charm and personality like the other Lego titles. It's very child-friendly and has mild, cartoonish violence. You play a plethora of super heroes all in one game. My inner-child is over the moon! You start off with the Hulk and Iron Man and then you're later joined by Spidey. I thoroughly enjoyed making the ground shake with my massive thumps and throwing cars and massive objects into the air while playing as The Hulk. It was also fun transforming into Bruce Banner and then transforming into the Hulk (whenever you wish) while pressing the Triangle Button. My nephew had a blast flying through the air as Iron Man and checking out his powers.

You're introduced to a new set of super heroes with each upcoming mission. Each Super Hero has a unique power, so even though there is button mashing, you get to explore and use that power. Captain America can put out and walk through fire, while Mister Fantastic Four could glide and turn into objects (much like The Green Lantern in Batman 2) and the Black Widow could turn invisible. My nephew kept on hogging Spidey because his abilities are and I quote, "awesome." Each Super Hero works with another in order to perform puzzles and bypass certain obstacles. Each mission ends with a boss fight( a villainous, iconic character - which was fun). The variety of super heroes with their unique powers will keep even the most restless person engaged. I haven't even gotten around to collecting the bricks yet, and I'm already having a blast! Like Gotham City, the New York hub looks beautiful and massive. There is a lot of detail put into it. You get a mini-map with a holographic guide (which can also be enlarged).

Unfortunately, just like every other Lego title I've played, there are some glitches in this game where you can get stuck and have to quit the game and start over. (So far it's only happened to me just once.) But other than that, if you have enjoyed previous Lego titles, then buy this! This is among the best Lego games I've ever played (and I've played every single title)!

3.0 out of 5 stars Love to play it, hate to play it, November 28, 2013
This review is from: Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (Video Game)

I also hate having to play the game, especially when it glitches. And it does glitch. Very badly at least once per session. Sometimes two or three times and that's when I have to shut off the system and walk away. The game tends to lock up when transitioning between scenes and nothing less than a hard restart will fix it.

Another problem I've had is with losing characters in spots that I can't retrieve them from. The only way to get them out of it is to switch to another character and hope you don't need the stuck one to do anything. Usually once you're far enough away they will magically appear next to you, but I've had to restart a level a few times because it doesn't work. It's a less noticeable problem in free play than it is in story mode.

The game also suffers from lopsided training. You're walked through how a few character's actions will help you progress with the game. Coulson points out some things for you and onscreen tips appear. Problem is, it doesn't actually end. You keep getting the same tips on an endless repeat as if you haven't already learned them, and when you start unlocking other characters they don't get the same treatment. You just have to experiment with them to find out how to use them, and that's fine but it'd be nice if I could play through a level and not be reminded every five seconds that only web slingers can pull certain objects down. Maybe an option to turn the tips off? Just a thought here.

The triangle button is overloaded as well on some characters. The ones who have two forms like Hulk, Venom, and Spiderman (these are the ones it's most obvious to me on) use the triangle button to transform. The problem is that button is also use to bring up the character selection screen in freeplay and is used to switch between partners. I've been stuck in a loop with Venom and Hulk trying to get the selection screen up and failing too often for my pride to let this problem slide. One or more of these actions could have easily been put on another button.

And, finally, skipping scenes! There needs to be more of it. Especially after you've played through in story mode and are revisiting levels to get the minikits or to save Stan. I don't need to go through the story again and again and again! Allow me the option to skip it, please. I know it's possible. The option comes up every once in a while, and I just wish it'd be available more. As it is, I have a book next to me when I play for something else to do while I wait to play.

It's a lot of complaints for a game that I do love to play, but these are problems that prevent me from giving the game a higher rating. I could go on about the bulky controls for vehicles and the absolute lack of explanation on how to buy characters once you've unlocked them. Or the lack of explanation on many things really. Or about the lack of a key in the map that lets you know what all those symbols really mean. I could, but those are all kinda minor compared to the other problems. It's a great, fun game. I just wish it weren't so annoying to play sometimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love Marvel + Lego = You're going to love this game!, October 23, 2013
This review is from: Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (Video Game)
So far, I've played a few hours of this game, it's pretty AWESOME! The puzzles in the LEGO games are almost always solved by matching the right power to the right problem, and the Marvel take on this mechanic is particularly inventive. Take LEGO Marvel Super Heroes offers an original storyline in which Nick Fury calls upon heroes spanning the Marvel Universe to save Earth from such threats as the vengeance of Loki and the hunger of Galactus, Devourer of the Worlds. Black Widow for example. She, like Invisible Woman, can spoof security cameras, but Widow also has the acrobatic skill of Captain America, which enables her to access remote areas of the levels, and the brains of Tony Stark, which lets her use certain consoles that would be off limits to other heroes. Throw in a gun, and you've got a very useful character made up of a number of different power sets. Storm and Thor, for instance, can both use electricity to power up stations, but Thor can smash open walls while Storm can put out fires. Even though there are only maybe a couple dozen powers to share among them all, the various combinations of powers ensures that no one feels entirely redundant.

2.0 out of 5 stars Oh my god the glitches!!!!, December 21, 2013
This review is from: Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (Video Game)
I'm a HUGE marvel fan and I really wanted to love this game, it started out so well and suddenly as I was playing the game froze, had to restart my whole system because of this. Then while in the middle of a boss fight, the game wouldn't allow the fight to progress. I was fighting for ten minutes and was wondering why it wouldn't progress, so I paused it and looked on YouTube to see how the fight was supposed to go and realized that the game glitched out and wouldn't allow the boss fight to continue past a certain point, it just was stuck with me getting blitzed by the boss and the minions and would not progress the fight. So instead of letting me start again from where i saved (at the beginning of the boss fight) I now had to start the whole level over again....REALLY?! How stupid is that? Who designed this game?

They seriously need to patch this game, I'm an adult and I got frustrated with this game so I can only imagine what will happen when friends of mine who purchased this for their children for Christmas are going to experience. I'm going to call them all and warn them to be prepared for this because this will make some kids cry and mad at what should've been a fun smooth experience.

In closing until it's patched purchase at your own risk (especially if for children).

4.0 out of 5 stars Great game but kinda glitchy, November 16, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (Video Game)
We were really excited to get this game. My kids have loved all the Lego PS3 games (star wars, Batman, Indiana Jones, etc) so we preordered this one for my son's birthday. The general game is great and very similar to the other games. You can even create your own characters with super powers. But it locks up All. The. Time. Sometimes the character gets stuck and there's no way out. Sometimes it just freezes. At one point, all my son's progress disappeared. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for when it happens. My boys get incredibly frustrated. I really wish they would review the game and fix the problems.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but buggy., February 25, 2014
This review is from: Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (Video Game)
I was really looking forward to this game, being a big Lego adventures and Marvel superhero fan. That lasted about 10 minutes until the game froze. Have been playing it a lot, and it freezes about a third of the time. Beware

3.0 out of 5 stars Multi-layered, fun to play, but horrible freezing and glitches, February 23, 2014
This review is from: Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (Video Game)
I loved being able to play as my favorite Marvel characters (including Coulson), and it's multi-layered enough to guarantee, literally, days of fun. You get to help citizens and SHIELD agents with their little problems, explore every nook and cranny of NYC to your heart's content. and save the world, too. There's plenty of trophies to achieve, side missions to complete, and a sea of Marvel characters to unlock through the game, so watch out, all you OCD gamers. :) I finished the main storyline but my stats show my progress is barely 25%. Wow! Looks like there's plenty more to explore and do!

The actual storyline took me about a week playing off and on to complete. Could have been quicker but the game kept freezing and freezing and freezing as I played.

Freezing up -- that's my biggest complaint. As if the programmers were trying to tell me my PS3's processor couldn't handle all the action that was happening on the screen. It happened usually during the climax of each level when you're mashing your controller's buttons like crazy and the head villain is hurling all sorts of debris at you. I get it, high CPU output required or whatever for all the action happening, but the game is for the PS3 and it was ridiculously annoying and inconvenient having to restart my machine and losing my progress. I had to replay certain levels over and over again, until I learned to sacrifice by not being aggressive in picking up coins or attacking henchmen and just doing the bare essentials required to finish the battle. Missed a few True Believer statuses, but that was the only way I could keep the game from freezing up.

I encountered a couple of glitches along the way, like characters getting stuck in random places and characters disappearing while you were playing a level so you had to restart the game.

Graphics are inconsistent. Random lines would appear during gameplay, making it look like the characters are puppets on diagonal strings. And occasionally you'll run into areas where sections of NYC haven't been rendered properly. But these don't freeze up the game. These poor graphics hinder visibility, but at least they won't force you to reboot the game.

There's a slight learning curve with controls and special abilities of each character, but the gameplay isn't so intensive or dire that it causes players to panic. Especially at the beginning levels and certainly while wandering about NYC, you can get accustomed to controlling your characters and gain confidence. The entire game is untimed, too, and no one really dies so that takes a lot of the pressure off. I can see even lower elementary school kids get a hang of the game and pick up some critical thinking or deductive skills along the way. Also, even as new characters are added, you notice much of their functions (web-slinging, fire, invisibility, flying, etc.) are similar to characters you've already mastered (identical, really), so there's really not much of a learning curve after the first few levels.

One awesome feature is the ability to play single or multi-player at any time during the same game profile. I started the game with another player on the couch side-by-side, but turns out they got too busy to go the distance with me and dropped out. I was pleasantly surprised to discover the game continued without them, but kept the option available for them to join back in should they want to. Fantastic!

Plenty of walkthroughs, hints, and cheats available on the web.

2.0 out of 5 stars There is a great game buried under serious usability problems, February 7, 2014
This review is from: Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (Video Game)
Lego Marvel Superheroes represents a great step backward from Lego Batman 2. The flight mechanics are hilariously counter-intuitive. My 6-year-old could fly all over Gotham City, but with this game the number of frustrated "Daddy, can you just do it"s is staggering.

Whoever decided it was a good idea to return to the days when you couldn't skip cut-scenes, ESPECIALLY when replaying levels in free play, should be sentenced to 5-years of playing nothing but Duke Nukem Forever.

To top it all off, my two-year-old and I just wiped out the save game file accidentally when we chose not to load it. This game warns you every time you're about to lose 5 minutes of unsaved progress, but when you're about to lose weeks worth of father-daughter effort, there's no warning or fail-safe at all.

These three major issues and a handful of smaller ones really mar a great story and otherwise fun game. Wait until it's in the five dollar bin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game for kids, February 23, 2014
This review is from: Lego: Marvel Super Heroes (Video Game)
when I got a ps3, I was looking for a kid friendly game that I could play with my kids.( 5 and 7 year old) .
They loved it. As an adult, I find it enjoyable to play it with them, even though it is not a very challenging game.
Even though it is easy, it is still very entertaining. The number of characters is ridiculous(a lot), and the fact that different characters have different abilities is pretty awesome. Some can fly, some shoot fire/lazers, some can move objects using telekinesis. Playing in story mode you will need to use different characters to solve a particular puzzle. The dialog is funny and overall it is a very polished game.

Lego: Marvel Super Heroes
Lego: Marvel Super Heroes by Warner Home Video - Games (PlayStation 3)
$29.99