Published on March 22, 2011 by Andy Goin

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on June 18, 2011 by Paul Burney

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've enjoyed the previous entries, you'll enjoy this title, March 22, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lego Star Wars III: the Clone Wars - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars is a very strong entry into the world of LEGO based video games and mixes a bit of what is found in early titles along with some of the better gameplay enhancements made to the more recent titles. It's got the tried and true Star Wars based action, humor, adventure, puzzles, and more found in the first game and they've really taken it to the next level with some of the new features. The area that is essentially your "hub" area is a mix of the first Star Wars game with a central area, but you unlock new guys and other things by walking around the level and interacting with them ala the more recent LEGO titles.

Pros:
- The new Jedi moves are a blast and the array of vehicles, monsters, turrets, and other things you can control this time around is fun. They've taken what was fun about the first LEGO Star Wars series and built upon that and improved it.
- We found the controls to be improved in areas, especially for the flying missions. Otherwise, it's like hopping on a bike with this game, most of the controls are kept in-tact and are spot on.
- The levels themselves seem to feature larger, more grand battles, more involving puzzles, and at times, you even find your characters in completely different areas. When playing co-op this means you'll sometimes find yourself working through puzzles and fighting baddies while your friend solves a puzzle or whatnot as you both achieve your individual goals. This plays out very well in a split-screen manner.
- Which brings us to the wonderful implementation of the split-screen cam as seen in more recent LEGO based games. The original Star Wars kept both characters on the same screen whereas TWC here splits the screen if you split up seamlessly. (Say that three times quickly) It's a cool effect that takes place if you or your coop friend take off by themselves, the screen splits smoothly with a rotating split so you can always seen which way you need to go to get back to your partner. When you do get closer, the screens come back together and the split seam dissappears so you can both enjoy the wider view. It's very nice being able to stick around collecting things or just exploring a bit while your friend is doing his thing also.
- The graphics are great for the Wii although there is a bit of slowdown in the more open, large battles, but it's nothing that brings down the fun. There is no question that he PS3 and 360 versions are going to look more impressive that the Wii version. Overall though, the game is on par, if not better with some new effects over the original and that's satisfying.
- Lots of interactivity. There's a nice amount of stuff to fiddle with, build, force, hop on or in, and otherwise interact with. The secrets are in, True Jedi is in, buying new characters, secrets, all of that is in.

Cons:
- No real cons although we have not tried much else than the SP Story mode so far.

At this point, we really enjoy the game and recommend it to anyone that enjoyed the first LEGO Star Wars game or anyone looking for a very fun coop romp through the land of Star Wars: The Clone Wars built in LEGOs.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 10 year old son is blown away by it!, March 23, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought the Wii version of Lego Star Wars III for my 10 year old son. He has enjoyed every other version of the Lego Star Wars games and was eager to get the one and try it out. I ordered this for him for release day delivery and let him know I wanted to hang out and watch him play it as he gave me feedback about what he thought of it. (So I could do a review for others. I enjoy video games as well and know how helpful it can be knowing if a game is any good.)

I sat with him as he played and asked his thoughts on what he does and doesn't like about the game, but all I heard for about 3 hours was "WOW mom look at THIS!!!". He was blown away by this game and said it was more fun than any of the other versions he had ever played. I asked him if there was anything about the game he didn't like, he said not at all.

Something I noticed is the game had interesting new graphics. The colors and design almost looked as though they added a bit more realistic looking texture to things like walls and floors. It's as though they've added just a touch of realistic textures to buildings and structures. The colors are still extremely vivid, but they have now given even more depth to the playing environment.

So far one of his favorite aspects is being able to play as a Lego Clone. Some of the areas he explored had a very 3D-4D Mario Galaxy feel to them as well. Parts of the game seem to jump off the screen.

While he has just begun to explore everything this game has to offer, he is already ecstatic about everything he has seen and has given it his seal as one of the best games hes ever played. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars this is awesome!!!, April 12, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
i am speaking from complete geekdom... this game rocks!!! i like the other lego games and thought this was like to others so of course i am going to get it... i was flat out wrong about it being just like the other games... LST3 is HUGE!!! and there are aspects that feel like classic warcraft...

i play with my 5 year old son and use the 2 player option... i am able to do the more important mission stuff and he can run around saying "i'm winning daddy!"

this is truly an awesome game...

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 18, 2011
Paul Burney "Dad of two" (Athol, MA United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I really, really, really wanted to like this game. My 8-year-old daughter and I are huge Star Wars fans and played Lego Star Wars (I and II) on PS2 for hours on end. When we found out that Lego Star Wars III was comging out for Wii, we pre-ordered it and couldn't wait to get started. Unfortunately, our enthusiasm fell off sharply after playing it for a while. There are many reasons for this, but here are some of the primary ones:

- Unnecessary complexity. They've added "additional force powers," but that usually means puzzles where you have to use the force to arrange things. This however, is not easy to do and it winds up taking so long that my daughter just wants to turn off the game.

- Unintuitive battle. There are a lot of "clever" battles where you need different characters to do different things but sometimes it's just ridiculous. There's a monster near Grevious' lair that you have to have two characters hold down, then have a third character jump on to attack. I would never have figured it out without a video walkthrough site.

- It's too dark. It's not the subject matter, it's just literally too dark in the game. It's as though the developers' brightness settings were out of whack when they developed the game. It's often hard to make out the details and to figure out what you're doing.

- The split screen doesn't work well. Yes, the earlier games had difficulties where players sometimes got left behind because both couldn't fit on the screen, but the new split screen views just don't work well. It seems you always wish you could see just on the other side of that dividing line. It would be nice to be able to turn it off completely rathter than just choosing horizontal, vertical, or dynamic.

- Stories aren't interesting. This isn't the game designers' fault because the stories in the Clone Wars cartoon just aren't as compelling as those from the movie series. Instead of going from scene to scene, you feel like you're grinding through the same room you were just in before.

The end result is a game that is just isn't very fun, at least for our family. There are other interesting features in the game, such as a RTS type version of the game where you capture your opponent's bases, but I wish the main part of the game itself provided better play. :-/

3.0 out of 5 stars More violent than previous Lego Star Wars games, August 31, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Please take heed to the reviews that note this game is more violent than the original Lego Star Wars game, which my 8 yr old son owns and loves. I think if my son were an only child, I might be more okay with him keeping this game but given he's the oldest of 4 kids, it prompted me to buy him 2 other games and trade in this game. This is based on the tv series which is darker anyway. So the opening level has the jedis in a big gladiator amphitheater just slashing away at hundreds of droids that break apart. My wife and I weren't so thrilled with just the mindless killing but that's not too horrible since they're just legos and break apart. But I found myself confused about what to do besides killing everything in sight (and I've played lots of video games in my life). After you beat the level, the movie shows Jenga Fett getting slashed by a light saber and then his helmet flying through the air... That kinda broke the deal for us. As a guy, I think this game would be a lot of fun. As a dad of young kids, I think this game has truly earned a age 10+ rating (which we ignored with the previous Lego Star Wars games).

5.0 out of 5 stars This game is AWESOME!!!, March 23, 2011
A Kid's Review
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My mom bought this game for me right when it came out and I played it for a
hour and had already found a new favorite video game.It has great graphics,unique battle scenes, and much much more!
I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, I can do 2 player, March 26, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Me and my brother played the first 2 lego Star Wars games, but in 2 player mode we would always end up arguing with each other and then eventually making our characters kill each other. Now with the clone wars, there are several parts in the game where we can play 2 separate missions at the same time. And even when we are on the same same mission with each other, we no longer have screen restrictions, our screen will automatically split into 2 even screens.

Also, Lego Star Wars 3 has tons of new features. Lightsaber throwing, wall cutting, gold and silver objects, new cannons and vehicles with different weapons, and force targeting bring the game into the endless Star Wars possibilities right away. Plus, the cut scenes are more Hilarious. I would definitely encourage you to buy this game, It is probably the best Lego Star Wars game that has been made of all 3. I can't wait to see if they come out with a Lego Star Wars 4.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, June 1, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Before I bought this, I read a lot of the reviews here. I saw mostly positives, but some negatives. The negative reviewers seemed to mostly go on and on about how complex the game is. "Sure whatever," I thought to myself. "Those people are just 80-year old grandmas who don't even know anything about video games." Boy, was I wrong!

First off, let me be clear. I'm a big fan of the first two Lego Star Wars trilogies, plus the Indiano Jones Lego game. I've also played Lego Batman. Those games are AWESOME. My two kids and I love them, especially the Star Wars ones. So with Lego Clone Wars, I hoped we would have just as much fun. But the game isn't fun.

The original Star Wars Lego games are a blast. They are relatively easy. You fight your way through areas, do a few simple puzzles every now and then, and unlock guys. If that's what you are expecting with Clone Wars, let me disavow you of that notion right now!

In this game, they have SERIOUSLY upped the difficulty level. The gameplay mechanics have also been made significantly more complex. The puzzles have all become a lot harder too. Gone is anything easy to figure out. I'm a veteran gamer, and even I was struggle to figure out what to do next in this game, even on the beginning levels!

Also, level objectives are now much more vague. Oftentimes, we couldn't even figure out where we were supposed to go or what we were supposed to do. This has made the game more challenging, but not in a good way. It has made things confusing. I chalk this up to bad game design.

Another thing I don't like is the "busy-ness" of the graphics. The other Lego games have clean, simple graphics. Where most of the things you see are made out of Legos. Here, it is not the case. Everything has been replaced with more realistic-looking graphics, like something you might see out of Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III or Battlefront. The Lego characters interact in this realistic-looking environment, and the effect is really jarring.

Something else I hate in this game are the bosses. The bosses in the other Star Wars games are relatively easy affairs. Fun to play, especially for kids. Not in this game! The very first boss we fought, it took us about half an hour to beat. In Clone Wars, you don't just fight bosses. You have to do multiple varying things to beat them. The whole time we were playing, I just kept thinking to myself, "You have GOT to be kidding me!" I mean, what the heck are we playing here? Ninja Gaiden???

All this may be okay for a teenager. But it is not suitable for little kids at all. There is NO WAY a kid will be able to play these games on their own. You'll have to do everything for them.

I am really disappointed, overall. In an attempt to add depth and complexity to the game, the programmers forgot who the game is for: kids. They may be patting themselves on the back for their cleverness, but I think it stinks.

In conclusion, if your kids are Star Wars freaks and just have to have this game, then by all means, buy it. But it may not be the game you expect. Don't say you haven't been warned!

4.0 out of 5 stars Some Improvements, Some Disappointments...., April 8, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Lego Star Wars III was highly anticipated by my son and me. We enjoyed playing the Complete Saga, and this latest edition held up to that. A large cast of characters, new maneuvers to perform, large scale battles, and the episodes follow the Clone Wars TV shows perfectly. From a flavor standpoint, I really liked how the lightsaber swings are faster and do not stop after three strokes (like in the first two games). Plus each character does not have the same sword strokes- the game developers added a bit of variety which I also really appreciated. The clones all have different uses: some have rocket launchers; some, droid poppers; and the commanders can organize squads to attack a certain target. And of course, the clones with the repeating (Gattling) blaster! My favorite levels are the large battles, where my son and I can get fight on either side of the battlefield and accomplish what we would like to get done. The split- screen can be confusing at times, but overall I do think it is a needed change.
However, there are things about this game that are very aggravating. First is the glitches. These mainly happen during two player games, but it has happened several times already that make me question the game design. Triggered events sometimes do not occur like they are supposed to. Items that are supposed to be moved by the Force do not move, despite the different placements and angles my character is facing. One level, (Destroy Malevolence) my son was waiting for me to catch up to him (he was in the ship's bridge). He was wandering around the bridge destroying battle droids. Finally I go on the lift to take me up to the bridge. When the screen came back, BOTH of our characters were in the elevator, and both were unable to get out. So after playing the level for 20 minutes, and getting very ticked at what is supposed to be fun, we had to exit the level.
One other part that is a slight irritant is the new way to use the Force: the player now has to direct where things go. Sounds cool, right? Well, I wish they did not make the so EXACT with moving pieces around. For example, on the Duel of the Droids level, you have to build R2- D2. My son, who is five, spent 10 minutes tryng to manuever the pieces together JUST RIGHT. The top of the dome was the worst, though: the top of the dome had to be place PERFECTLY on the drum of R2's body. Even off by centimeter caused it to be incomplete. Again, very aggravating (and painful to watch).
Overall, I am enjoying Lego Star Wars III. I find it helful to play through the levels first, so as to determine which would be good and not too frustrating for my son and me to play on. I am just very sad to be faced with such crippling glitches.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Video Game Review of: LEGO Star Wars III The Clone Wars, May 27, 2011
A Kid's Review
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The name of the video game is Lego Star Wars the Clone Wars. Lego Star Wars the Clone Wars is about doing missions and capturing evil people. Bad things are if you die you lose all your coins. Good things are if you die you come back. Why? Because you are a Lego person in the game. I have two favorite parts. My first favorite part is buying characters. My second favorite part is capturing evil people. William says, "Lego Star Wars the Clone Wars is awesome." I say it is magnificent. I recommend William will like this video game. Why? Because he said he likes every Star Wars the Clone War Lego video game. The reason why I like it is because I am a big fan. Why? Because I like Star Wars and it is cool. You can find this video game at Target in the video game isle. But you have to have a Wii. I give this video game 5/5 clone trooper helmets.
-Rhys, 2nd Grader