5.0 out of 5 stars Leica M battery - good for about 400 exposures
Not much to say about the M battery. There are a couple of "generic" batteries for the M, personally I don't understand why anyone with a $5000 camera would think about saving $20 and risk less than 100% compatibility with the camera.

Published on February 14, 2009 by Bo Lorentzen

1.0 out of 5 stars It died on me...
Ordered this in July 30. It just won't charge anymore. Am returning it. It has Russian markings and has 1860mah rating on it.

Come on Leica. For a premium brand, don't associate yourself with inferior supply sources. You need to strengthen your quality control. For a $124 battery, am sure you can invest in better QC.
Published on September 5, 2012 by Hardright

5.0 out of 5 stars Leica M battery - good for about 400 exposures, February 14, 2009
This review is from: Leica 14464 Lithium-ion Battery for the M8 Digital Rangefinder Camera (Camera)

I have never managed to use more than 2 batteries in one day, each get about 350-400 exposures with average image review on the screen.

This is maybe the worlds smallest camera battery. you can easily have two in a jeans pocket without even noticing.

One could wonder why its not bigger, personally I prefer changing memory card more often than 400 images,mostly out of my own irrational fear of the card going corrupt and loosing a days worth of images.. changing the battery at the same time is not a big deal.

Bottom line... if you are a digital M owner, just do it.

1.0 out of 5 stars It died on me..., September 5, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy generic batteries for your M., December 4, 2010
Hengyi Hu (New York City) - See all my reviews
I've tried the power2000 battery, and bought 4 other batteries shipped to me from China. besides compatibility, they don't hold their charge beyond 4-5 cycles. So save your money, get the real deal, and don't worry about whether or not your batteries will work on your next trip!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately all of the generic batteries die after a short time--I have 5-6 of the knockoffs all dead in less than 3 months, March 3, 2014
These Leica branded batteries are expensive and in all of my other brands of cameras I use generic batteries without a problem. I don't know if there is a chip embedded in the Leica brand battery or some special hardware or firmware or something in them that isn't getting replicated properly by the knockoff companies but *something* is different. I read reviews like this by others and always scoffed at them as being from some Leica apologist who was brand-loyal and insisted on overpaying for batteries.

Now I'm that guy on my leica cameras. I have an M240 as well and I'm only buying the outrageously priced Leica brand batteries because after buying a half dozen fakes I could have just bought 2 "real" batteries and been better off.

I now function with 4 "real" Leica batteries in my Monochrom and 2 soon to be 3 Leica branded batteries in my M240.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, it is for Leica, one of a kind, what else could I say?, September 12, 2013
well, I bought a M9, so its battery was claimed to be on the light side. I need a replacement.

Though there are OEM options, I decided to spend the extra for the Leica brand.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works in an M9 too, btw, January 6, 2012
A. Doherty "unclearconcept" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Works great. The battery came with Russian writing, which I read about elsewhere online. Some speculated that this was a counterfeit product, but based on research it appears a change in the manufacturing source and limited production in China / Japan caused a shift in supply. I'm not sure on the full facts of this information but the battery holds a charge fine and I have had no problems at all.

Still too expensive for a battery.

2.0 out of 5 stars Authentic Leica Product?, October 22, 2011
I received my M8/9 Leica replacement battery on time. But upon opening the package, I noticed a couple things that caused me to question the authenticity.
The original battery that came with my M9 was rated at 1800mAh. This battery was rated at 1860mAh.
Packaging says M8. Odd that the older model camera battery would be coupled with a higher capacity battery.
Second, the writing on the battery's back is in Russian.
Third, the battery while packaged in Leica branded packaging, was crudely packed in cheap bubble wrap.
So I really have no idea if I was sold an authentic Leica battery, or a cheap knock-off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Leica needs a better battery, January 17, 2010
While better than the non-leica batteries that go dry in a flash these Leica batteries are still way below par compared to other batteries for cameras like Canon and Nikon. My canon battery powers the screen, shutter, light meter, and powers the lens autofocus and image stabilization on a larger camera and stay charged WAY, WAY longer. While Leica is a dream camera and I love it dearly the batteries need major improvement. I would have hoped that the M9 would have had a new larger battery with a better charge. To go on any real excursion I need at least 2-3 of these. If you will be shooting all day 2-3 is a must. It is possible to drain a battery in one evening of heavy shooting and downloading.

Many will tell you, all these fancy tricks like taking out the memory card and connecting it to the computer directly, lowering LCD brightness and such. The simple fact is that the battery is way below par for a company as high end as Leica. My Canon 5D M2 can shoot easily twice as long. And don't tell me that the Canon battery is bigger. Leica could have easily added 1/4 inch to the bottom of the cam or carefully designed the empty space to include a bigger battery. Even a heavy bulky battery pack bottom attachment would be cool. Canon and Leica all make cams that have large bottoms for heavy shooting.

Bottom line. If you shoot more than just a few dozen casual shots in an outing you will want 2-3 of these just to be safe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 26, 2014
top quality

5.0 out of 5 stars A camera of this caliber ..., July 2, 2011
... should have a battery to match. If you can afford the body and any lenses, you can afford the spare batteries. Buy a few, throw them in your back, and happy shooting.