Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on July 22, 2010
If you have an X1 you must get this optional view finder. The simple reason is that in bright sunlight or if you wear polarizing sunglasses you'll never be able to see the tiny LCD on the back of this camera. Having this view finder makes it possible to take photos in this sort of lighting or sun glasses situation.
on July 6, 2011
I am not sure if I should be happy with this viewfinder after using a Voigtlander viewfinder for my other Leica camera. There is really nothing special or outstanding about this expensive item except maybe its brand. I actually regretted buying it after trying it the first time. However, I decided to keep it just to match my X1. For those planning to buy a viewfinder for the X1, see the 35mm Voigtlander first. It is clearer and may even look better on the camera.
on October 4, 2010
I give it two stars as it gives this absurdly overpriced but fantastic camera what it should have had to begin with, namely an optical viewfinder.

However, this a ridiculous price for this product. I could justify it if there was a diopter control, but it is nothing more than an overpriced optical viewfinder that costs more than most point and shoot cameras that in the old days had the same quality optical viewfinder.

There is a sucker born every minute and I am one of them.

This product is not worth it.
66 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2013
Unlike the excellent Voigtlander 35mm, this Leica Viewfinder requires that one's eye is precisely in the middle of the glass. 90% of the viewfinder is out of focus. With the Voightlander, or even with the Panasonic glass viewfinders, more than 80% is in focus.

I don't mind that this viewfinder is expensive or that it it large. I mind that 90% of it in out of focus, which takes the pleasure away and delays framing the picture.
on November 22, 2013
Ouch. It's really expensive for what it is but if you have an X1 and you've tried using it (or any other camera with an LCD screen) outdoors in bright sunlight, you'll love this view finder. You can line up and take a shot in just second or two as opposed to having almost no idea what your framing is by trying to use the LCD screen. An absolute must have. I like it so much I use it all the time, including indoors. It totally makes the camera feel like an old school SLR or range finder. As you probably know, the auto-focus is a little slow on the X-1 but it is generally pretty accurate. Using this view finder in no way diminishes your ability to get good focus because the LCD isn't any better for that anyway. The only thing I don't like is that the really nice leather X-1 case does not accommodate this so I have to carry this separately and attach it each time I pull the camera out of the case. It's very easy to attach and is held firmly in place, but it's an extra step I find a little annoying. I suppose I should just get a different case but that's kind of a shame since the X-1 leather case is very nice. I have a tiny leather pouch that is just the right size for the view finder and has a velcro closure that I close around the hand strap so the view finder is almost always with the camera but the extra step of putting it on and off is just that - and extra step.

The framing is very accurate and the frame lines stand out very bright and crisp. I love it.
on August 11, 2011
This is the most expensive viewfinder for this class of camera on the market. In fact it is double the price of competitor items having far better performance. This is a nice piece of glass. How difficult would it have been to place a small dot in the middle so that if you were in spot metering mode you knew where to point the camera? When you are using this viewfinder the LCD is turned off and you have no information about what speed or aperture you are shooting at. Nor do you know what you're focusing on other than by guesswork. For 1/2 the price, Panasonic provides a viewfinder for its Lumix GF1 that does all of these things. What will Leica do when its traditional customers who like things as they were in the 30's are all passed away?
on April 22, 2012
Great accessory, specially if you are used to shoot looking thru a viewfinder instead of looking at the LCD screen. Mine was second hand but it's like new. I wouldn't use my Leica without it!
on December 27, 2013
Nicely made. Very clear, fine, full of light. Looks great with the camera, though not, perhaps, as much as the Voigtländer.

Arguably the best first accessory to get for your Leica X1.
on October 5, 2012
it's a really good view finder i ever use, can be used all-purpose as well as decorates my X1 like a professional one.
on July 20, 2010
When people see a little camera with an optical viewfinder in a leather case, it is interpreted as "old" ... Something that came out of the 1940s. Harmless. Charming.

If you want to draw attention to yourself then the cameras which are designed for sporting events of political conventions will do the trick. Even if then aren't seen, then they'll be heard. The X1 won't be heard and even when it is seen, it will pass understanding.

See 1 answered question