Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Size: One Size|Color: Navy|Change

on March 31, 2010
I love umbrellas (which is a good thing since I live in San Francisco.) This one is not only huge, but quite elegant too. Most large umbrellas have a straight handle which is a bit more comfortable to hold but doesn't make them good to walk with closed. The curved wood handle on this one make it very cane-like when closed and it hangs from an arm quite neatly too. Having 16 spokes rather than the now standard 8 makes it look like something from the 20's so this would be a great choice for taking to work or to the opera. I haven't had a chance to use it more than a couple of times but it seems to be well made and I expect it to last a few years.
on November 18, 2010
Very solid umbrella. The extra ribs make it very sturdy in the wind, even though its large size could have made it susceptible to bowing or flipping. Feels like a true gentleman's umbrella.

By far the coolest feature is the teflon woven into the fabric. Rain beads up on the umbrella, and when you shake it off before going inside, it ends up almost completely dry.

The only small gripe would be that it should have some kind of a metal tip or cap at the end of the wooden point. I tend to use it like a cane when it's closed, and I think the wooden tip may get worn over time.

UPDATE:

I should have done this a while ago, but I am updating my review from 5 stars to 4. As I suspected in my original review, the wood tip did not hold up. It completely cracked and fell off, exposing a plain, unattractive metal nub. Of course, it still works just fine for its intended purpose.
on August 14, 2010
I have had one of these for so many years I have forgotten when I bought it. It finally needs replacing. It has been a great umbrella for my wife and me. We can both walk under it in the rain and not get wet. Even though it does not have wind vents or double canopy, it has handled well in wind. I also like the wood handle. It works well to hang over my arm when closed. So I am considering replacing it with a new one; it seems to be the same. It certainly is a classic.
Follow up: Our new umbrella arrived, and then it stopped raining! It was several weeks before the rain came again. We have used the new umbrella once, and if anything, it is better than the old one. Time will tell. I prefer the blue fabric to the black. This is a great umbrella!
on July 22, 2014
It's hard to tell In the pictures, but one of them shows the umbrella at an angle and it looks like it has a lot of segments or spines, which gives this umbrella a unique look. It looks kind of like a parasol. It's very big, standing height is 40", just over my hip. One of the reasons I chose this one over others is the wood detail on the end and the handle, which I'm pleased with, though the handle feels a little heavy.
review image
on April 17, 2012
I purchased four of these umbrellas for my vacation home in October of 2011. They look good in an umbrella rack by the door. I used one for the first time April 2012 (6 months after purchase) and the handle has split in several places along the grain, I checked the rest and another has the same issue. I am unable to return them due to store policy. . These were expensive but cheaply made - do not purchase.
on June 17, 2011
I received the umbrella 6/16 and found it to be fantastic; literally less than 24 hours later, the wooden cap at the end of the umbrella cracked in half. It was not used as a cane or support, nor was it carried. I would expect this from a cheaper umbrella, but for the price of this piece, I expected a higher quality product.
on October 11, 2011
This umbrella is a total waste of money. It literally broke the first time I tried to use it. The piece you press to open the umbrella just broke off!! I'd rate this umbrella zero stars if I could.
on March 17, 2011
I was very impressed with both the size and quality of this umbrella. The extra spines make is exceedingly solid-feeling, and the opening / closing mechanism also feels high quality. I wanted a large umbrella,since I walk to work, but one that wasn't bright or tacky looking like golf umbrellas often are. This one fit the bill. I had it out in a slight breeze and it was fine, but I don't have any experience to share about how it will behave in high winds. It might be a handful due to it's size.
on December 12, 2014
Advertised as sizable -- and it is. The umbrella appears to be well made. It is relatively light and easy to hold, open and close. The shaft is durable and comfortably long as one would expect in a "doorman umbrella." It is too long for use as a cane and is not advertised as such. The ribs appear to be substantial.

If it doesn't shed water and/or blows apart in a wind I'll adjust this review in future.
on December 2, 2014
I've used a walking stick as appropriate for some 40 years. I possess several sticks and canes as well as some fine umbrellas. I ordered my Leighton's Doorman Umbrella after research that included reading the reviews of this and other umbrellas. I noted that some of the reviews indicated that the tip of the staff was unsuitable for use as a walking stick. Because I frequently use my umbrellas as canes, I purchased a box (6 for $1.96) of EastPoint press-on cue tips and ferrules at our local WalMart. As a preventive measure, I pressed one on the tip of the umbrella shaft and covered it with ¾ inch black electrical tape. I am entirely satisfied with my Leighton's Doorman Umbrella and I do use it as a walking stick.