Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Leisurama Now: The Beach House for Everyone 1964-
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 8, 2008
This book can be appreciated for both its design aesthetics and its telling of Montauk history. Leisurama tells how people lived and continue to live in their environments, which are these pre-packaged homes. The fun part is the book's layout which jumps timelines and stories, comparing what was then and how it has transformed now. We need more than old radios or televisions or wood paneling to express the 60's and the generation of idealism. Which makes Leisurama a fun and strange book. There are too many things in this world that we will never know of because we lose interest and move on. Here we have an opportunity to obsess over the author's obsession and be part of a history that is still very much alive.
on June 30, 2008
I lived on eastern Long Island 50 years and never heard of Leisurama Homes till I saw a PBS tv special two years ago. I took a ride to Montauk and found this development very interesting. The book is nicely done with tons of color photos and alot of history which i like along with then and now photos. You can tell the author did the utmost in research for this book. Highly recommended.
on November 21, 2008
Can you imagine walking into Macy's in 1964 and buying a beach house? Already furnished and ready to go... what a concept! Before a friend brought this book to my attention I didn't know anything about the Leisurama project. After reading it I've got to say that for anyone interested in the history of architecture/planning and intrepid marketing ideas in the 20th century, this is a Must-Read/Must-Have book. It explores a nearly forgotten, yet ambitious, experimental enterprise in the 60s; sensitively explored by a true appreciator of the genius, the talent, and the flaws of the men who built it. Then it unfolds the the part you really want to know: what has become of the place in the 45 years since. (and whether the project succeeded or not is left up to you.)
This book is the perfect combination of well-researched, well-written history, clean, pleasing design and photography, and clever presentation. I wish all books were this satisfying. Like savoring a box of fine Belgian chocolates, it's just a real treat.
on April 27, 2013
a glimpse into how parts of Montauk was developed and how the leisurama shaped it.
anyone who loves Montauk or 20th century American culture will enjoy flipping through this book with lots of photos and some history as well.
on August 16, 2008
This book is fantastic, very thorough and well researched. The layout and design of the book
compliments the subject as well.

I first learned of Paul Sahre because he was in the same design program as me in college (Kent State University). I immediately became interested in his work because I enjoy to keep up with graduates of my future degree.

I recommend this book to whoever is interested in the Leisurama subject. I knew little about them prior to this book, and for me Sahre makes the topic come alive giving visual tours of the homes as well as a visual history.
on May 29, 2014
I was intrigued that someone wrote a book about these simple little "catalog" home from the 60's. The photos are amazing and the story of how they came to be, even MORE so.
VINE VOICEon July 11, 2013
It is a wonderful book. This deals with a time when you could buy a fully furnished home at Macy's!
To me, all of that was new and I only learned of it from a PBS documentary.
on June 3, 2016
Not very many pictures of the original Leisurama homes as I hoped for.
on July 5, 2008
Paul Sahre has done it again. This book is a visual tour de force and important contribution to the legacy of the Leisurama era. It is gorgeously designed, rigorously researched and a truly wonderful read.