4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice
Published 20 months ago by R. Seto

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to keep it
Got it this afternoon, and typing on it.

It feels really nice, beats my expectation. It is nice looking, thin and light (compared to my 6 pounds E430). It is fast enough for my need - programing, web browsing, watching video, editing picture etc. The display is better than expectation too, even readable under direct sun when set it to highest brightness...
Published 18 months ago by Spencer

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice, April 23, 2013
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad U310 13.3-Inch Touchscreen Ultrabook (Graphite Gray) (Personal Computers)
Got for $599 last week from another vendor. First Lenovo and I am happy with purchase and tech support. First one received did have dead pixel on arrival but vendor instantly sent me a replacement with next day Saturday delivery. This is an upgrade from my 4years old Samsung netbook which served me very well. I find the u310 touch to be very fast, screen is very nice and clear after making fine adjustments, track pad very smooth after making fine adjustments, touch screen a nice addition. Did not have any dropped WIFI connection and have found operational distance to be good. Very nice build and like the aluminum outer shell.

Windows 8 must be given a chance. Like everyone else and based on bad reviews I did not want to give it a try and was going to install Windows 7 the next day. After playing with it for a day I realized that it is not as bad as everyone that didn't give it a try had stated. It was like having a touch pad and laptop in one. Being that I don't have a touch pad anything this was nice for me as I can download apps from Microsoft and use them accordingly. It was just a matter of knowing where everything has been relocated to. God Mode is great addition to the OS allowing one location for all kinds of adjustments. Desktop was a bit frustrating at first as I did not know where everything was relocated to, especially the Start menu. After reading up on tricks and tips articles there are third party software that adds Start menu back to desktop. I installed Start8 and now desktop works just like Windows 7. All my old software that worked on Windows 7 work just as well or better on Windows 8. Very happy with my purchase. Only reason I did not give it 5 stars is that I had to adjust quite a few settings to make it work to my liking.

30 Days Update -

Having used my u310 Touch for 30 days now I'm enjoying Windows 8. The option of having a tablet apps platform is very welcomed. It is like having 2 devices in one. The live windows in the apps are nice but bear in mind it will keep your ram running at 50% and draw on battery power. You can turn off the apps live windows.

The touch screen is very responsive and smooth. I have 2 iPads in the family and the u310's touchscreen is comparable. Although I have used it occasionally it is a nice option to have.

Desktop is working great with installation of Start8, I don't miss Windows 7 at all. Lenovo tech support has been great. I had a few more kinks to get out and all it needed was driver updates. I called Lenovo tech support and they took care of the needed updates for me. I had an Acer before purchasing the Lenovo and when I called about an issue the Acer tech support just instructed me to go to their website and download & install the latest drivers.

The 2 drivers needing updates for me are the Mouse/Touchpad and Lenovo Power Management. Mouse/Touchpad was getting stuck when I right click & hold down to highlight or to activate scroll bar. Driver update corrected the problems.

Battery life for me is averaging 4.5-5 hours. Not great but not too bad.

Speakers are nice and loud enough for my needs. I have not had volume turned up more than 50% setting. Computer speakers are what they are and I never expect to listen to room filling music sound from them. The Acer I returned was so "tinny" that it hurt to hear sound from them.

No problems at all with wifi connections.

Processor is fast and smooth. When warranty is up I will upgrade to 8gig ram.

Although a lot of tweaks to get this ultrabook to perform to my preferences I am still very much enjoying it and for me it's a keeper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid touchscreen laptop, May 27, 2013
James Daniel (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I've nothing to complain about with this purchase, which is saying something, indeed. Once upon a time, you had to pay high prices for the power to support a multimedia and gaming platform, and I tend to buy very high-powered laptops over the years as a rule, because I cannot stand the performance of machines that are designed to be energy efficient and preserve battery life. While this isn't on the level of getting an overclocked i7 desktop with the latest Nvidia graphics card and liquid cooling ... let me put it this way: it's so efficient it doesn't need the cooling. For comparison, this is replacing an old 2006 Vaio laptop of mine that runs XP (not one of my high-powered machines, but one that I had converted for multimedia use). Merely playing a lot of youtube videos on that old Vaio would cause that machine to run so remarkably hot that it was painful to touch. This Lenovo, however, stays very cool for the entire duration of playing movies or games. W/r to games, unless you're playing the most demanding games (e.g., Skyrim or SWTOR with the highest details and options set), you likely won't notice any performance issues, either.

The real attraction of this laptop, however, is its touchscreen. I was unwilling to purchase a Windows 8 laptop without a touchscreen mostly because Windows 8 -begs- for touchscreen capability, as the mouse/keyboard alternatives aren't exactly intuitive. This is a nice, small, light laptop that does just about everything you might ever ask of it (outside of the most performance-demanding video games), and has full touchscreen capability with all of the Windows 8 touchscreen-enabled apps ready to go. Add Office 365 and VPN, and it fulfills work, play, email, video needs.

It's interesting what they leave off, to keep it small and light: it has no CD/DVD drive. Once upon a time, CD technology was fast and light and way more efficient than the alternatives. Now, it's far more economical to stream videos on the fly, or download games online services, instead of buying several CDs or DVDs to install/play. Technology is still leaping ahead, folks, in spite of the current economy, and this is a remarkably frugal means to get the latest tech and play with it.

For the record, this is the 3rd laptop I've bought from Amazon, and I find shopping for laptops this way to be far superior to checking out whatever happens to be in stock at local stores. The detail in the description and reviews is more than enough to determine whether it is a good purchase. I'm used to being disappointed. I expect disappointment. I was always disappointed with store-purchased laptops. Amazon-purchased laptops haven't disappointed me yet.

The only issues that I might imagine anyone having with this laptop are that it's Windows 8, and the UI is very touchscreen-oriented. If you aren't used to the new OS or touchscreens, it can be a bit of a leap from Windows 7 with mouse and keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop for the price, April 30, 2013
I recently was in the market for a laptop for school, as my old macbook's days are numbered. I originally was looking to get a macbook pro, but after doing some research and looking around I landed on this Lenovo Ideapad. I really like the build quailty, it feels very sturdy and has a refined look. The touchscreen is also a must for Windows 8, it comes in handy quite often. It boots up extremely fast, and runs very cool. I also saved about $600 over the Macbook pro, so I was very pleased. For the price, you can get a Lenovo Ideapad and a new iPad instead of just a macbook, can't really beat that.

Pros:
Touchscreen
i5 processor-very fast
Runs cool
Great battery life: I get about 5 hours watching video, and 8 hours doing surfing or typing documents.
Very thin and light

Cons:
Screen does get fingerprints, guess that's to be expected though.
As with all new laptops, has a good amount of bloatware. I got rid of most of it, and it does run even faster now.

Not sure why I keep reading about the wireless issues? Mine has been great since I got it, not one issue. I heard they fixed this back in July of last year, with the introduction of the touch screen models.

In conclusion, this is a great laptop. It runs fast and cool, has an awesome touchscreen and has great battery life. For the price of only $599, it is hard to find anything even close to this laptop (believe me I have looked around). Lenovo is quality, and this laptop is no exception. I recommend this product to anyone wanting a nice light and thin laptop with great battery life. This is great for students!

3.0 out of 5 stars I really wanted to keep it, May 29, 2013
Got it this afternoon, and typing on it.

Touch screen is good, and very useful too.

But, wifi, what should I say, so disappointing.

When it closes to the wifi access points, it works great. But when moving far away, the download speed dramatically reduced, sometimes even disconnected.

Here is my test results comparing to other laptops (response time/download/upload, I tested 3 times each access points, exact same location)
1. HP DM4(i5): 43 ms/9.53M/1.35M
2. Lenovo Edge E420 (i3): 35 ms/10.02M/1.42M, similar for the other access point.
3. Lenovo Edge E430 (i7): 35 ms/10.56M/1.41M, similar for the other access point.
4. U310: 135 ms/0.89M/0.67M for one access point, 415 ms/0.14/0.36 for another access point and disconnected several times during testing.

I also tested it using a Airlink 101 wireless dangle, with it, I got more than 11M download speed.

I really love it, but can not accept the low wifi speed. I am thinking switch to another one and give Lenovo another chance.

BTW, this is made in April 2013.

Updated: I tried another one, similar results. I test against two wifi routers and all set to N/G combined. I updated drivers, and did all the tricks I can find from web. No go.

I tried a Yoga 13, got very good wifi reception. I think I may keep the Yoga.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad unit or poor build quality?, September 26, 2013
While the U310 ultrabook is beautiful to look at and is a pleasure to use, within two weeks of purchase, the laptop would shut down whenever one of us would rest our palm on the left side of the computer. We sent it back to Lenovo, and they replaced the motherboard. Upon return, the display started to separate from the case, deforming to create a gap of about 1/4 inch between the screen and the cover on the upper right corner when closing the unit. Annoying, but we needed the computer and did not want to send it back again. Last week, though, it began to randomly blue screen and then would not boot up. I am sending it back today for what they tell me is a bad SSD. In all, over two months of ownership, the laptop has worked for about two weeks.

Consumer ultrabooks are not built for abuse, and we know that, so we've been careful not to move it extensively (never just tossing it in a backpack or throwing it in the backseat. Based on other positive reviews, it may be that we just got a bad unit, but our experience has been extraordinarily negative. The Lenovo helpdesk seems designed to maximize the time spent on the phone to discourage calls. Even though we have case and serial numbers in hand, before every one of the multiple calls it takes to identify issues, we have to carefully spell out our name, provide call back numbers, and repeat the answers questions that one would think should be right at hand. Each call is handled as a new event, so there is no way to identify units that are simply lemons, and no means to get a replacement or other consideration for multiple issues with the same laptop. Some reps are more informed than others; we received three different sets of instructions for returning the laptop in three different calls, resulting in multiple trips to FedEx before they would accept the shipment.

The U310 costs less than other laptops with similar features, and our experience may explain why. Before buying any Lenovo, and outside of any consideration of features and price, you may want to research a recent decision by the Department of Defense to ban the purchase the company's computers...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ultrabook for the price range, July 12, 2013
Ive had this for about a week now, and this laptop is excellent for this price range. I searched quite thoroughly for laptops in the 500-700 dollar price range for class, and this was by far the best value. Keep in mind, this is not a gaming laptop. It seems to be able to run most lower end games fairly well, but that's not what i got it for. I use it for college and for programming.

Windows 8:
I want to start off with windows 8 since this was one of my major concerns, i had seen it before and was not overly enthusiastic. However, after having a chance to play with it and set it up my way, it is actually a pretty good. I can not imagine trying to use windows 8 without a touch screen, or at least touch pad gestures, but luckily this laptop has both. If you do get windows 8, i recommend taking the time to play with it instead of immediately installing the add-on that makes the desktop mode like windows 7.

Touchscreen:
The touchscreen is fairly nice, it does not have as much of a terrible glare as some other touch screens. It is crisp and responsive. It may smudge a bit, but this comes with touch screen territory.

Keyboard/Touchpad
This is my only real complaint, but i did not find it worth subtracting stars, especially for the value this laptop has presented for the price range(550$ at the time of purchase). The keyboard does in fact feel a bit cheap. They keys a spaced slightly too wide for my taste, and are not a "normal" size, but this is personal preference perhaps. I don't personally notice any flexing or bending as i type, just the spacing of the keys, it makes it kind of odd to apply the right amount of pressure, im sure i will get used to it though. I am typing on it right now. The touch pad has a good response, though the left and right buttons are part of the touch sensitive pad instead of being independent, previous laptops have been separate buttons. This has its draw backs as the mouse can shift when you right or left click depending on how your finger moves, but it also provides the benefit of a wider touch pad, and with the touch screen, i don't really care.

power/graphics:
its a low price ultra book, i did not expect a power house. It is powerful enough for what i need it for, school, programming, and moderate smaller gaming. The i5 ultra low voltage is good for battery life, but can still get stuff done.

Battery life:
fantastic, i can get upwards of 6 hours of light to moderate use on a full battery. great for class, just dim the screen, and try not to access the hard disk drive, it goes to sleep. also i find it worth mentioning as i like to when people bring up battery life. Lithium batteries are not like the old nickle-cadmium batteries. don't let it die , ever. If you do it actually harms maximum capacity. Let it drop below 20% once a week ideally and at least once a month, and below 75 percent once or twice a week, ideally as well. Yes this consumes lithium recharge cycles, but its important to do so for the health of the battery. most batteries have AT LEAST 1000 cycles, upwards of 3000 or 4000, and lithium cycles are not like the nickle cycles. If you charge 50% - 100% you have used a 1/2 of a charge cycle. And using 1-2 cycles a week is not bad at all, that will last you a while. The only reason i bring this up in such a way in a review is the fact the battery is NOT removable on this model without taking apart the case. so replacement is not as easy. Luckily for those concerned with battery life this does include a "Battery Health" mode which will only charge the laptop to 59% and alternate charging on and off, if you want the mode on that is.

Wireless:
This seems to be a major concern among other buyers. I will say that in the same room, or within a reasonable distance, i get fine signal strength on "Balanced" performance mode. If you run this in "High performance" maybe it will get a larger distance. The only time i have had an issue was when i was clear across a house and through several walls/objects. I'm not using this for games, so if it has a mild or even poor signal strength at these distances its not a major concern. And it was only at that location, so maybe a issue with that router. No issue at all in same room, or adjacent room( of router ).

Size/weight/durability:
The laptop is thin, lightweight, and feels durable and well built.

All in all a great value for the price.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fell APART within 2 months, November 16, 2013
This computer is AWFUL!!! My daughter has had this computer for 4 months and it is FALLING APART. The screen is coming apart from the lid. The wi-fi will not stay connected. What a waste of money. We have contacted the seller and they could care less. According to them, if it didn't fall apart within 30 days, it's not their problem. If you buy this computer, you are throwing your money out the window.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse Mistake I ever made, September 27, 2013
I bought this laptop because of it's size, weight and because it had a touch screen. It also had Windows 8 which is another story and not relevant here. The actual physical computer met all my expectations and I am very pleased. However, I bought this in the beginning of July (it was delivered 2 weeks later) and in the beginning of September the computer would not start up. When attempting to start the computer a blue screen appeared saying there was a problem and the system was gathering data and attempting to resolve. This continued to occur every time the computer went into sleep mode and/or I tried to start it up. I called Lenovo CS and they attempted to resolve it. It worked for about 4 days and then started the same error. I called again. They totally rebooted my system (I lost my purchased software, of course, although I had backed up my data files) and said it should work now. It worked one time and then repeated the same error. I called CS again and they said I would have to send it for repair. They will not replace it.
A word about Customer Service: while the service techs may speak English (more or less) they do not understand English. It is very difficult to explain any situation at all to them from the problems with the computer to issues regarding the return of the computer for repairs. For example: I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest FedEx drop off center is 60 miles away. I could not get that information across. It took half an hour just to have them tell me they would send FedEx to my door.
Bottom line this computer worked for about 45 days and Lenovo will not replace it. I have very little faith that they will repair it so it will work satisfactorily.
I have always had Dell products in the past and would have done so again except they did not have the small, light laptop I was looking for. More's the pity!

Edited:12/21/2013: Well I have had my laptop back for about 1 month now. It is partially fixed. As long as I do not let it go "to sleep" the issues have not reoccurred. However, if it goes to sleep when I attempt to start it up again, the system locks and has to recycle itself (same as before).

The latest problem is that the hinge holding the screen to the keyboard is now breaking apart. Lest you wonder I am a 66 year old female who uses the laptop about 20 hours a week while sitting on my couch. I haven't dropped it nor do I carry it anywhere unless it is securely strapped into a padded laptop case.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad I guess, unless you don't like using the wifi much, July 30, 2013
I thought the wifi issue everyone seems to be talking about wasn't going to be that big of a deal considering I'm only a room away from my router anyway. The thing is, it still had a hard time connecting even when most of my devices connect to the wifi perfectly. The laptop itself is great; it looks nice, works well for the most part, but the wifi hardware is just a deal breaker. This is supposed to be a portable system, not a system that needs to be connected to ethernet plug consistently. Everything else about the laptop is great though; really clean look, pretty good battery life, touch is a great addition with windows 8. If you don't mind being closer to the router or being slow when you're distant from it, it honestly is a pretty decent laptop overall though. I'm a student/light gamer

4.0 out of 5 stars Fix for Wifi Issues, September 4, 2013
Jess510 (SF Bay Area) - See all my reviews
Out of the box, I experienced the same wifi issues being widely reported about the 310/410 Lenovo Ultrabook devices. I was able to skirt the issue by going into the wifi card properties in control panel and disabling 802.11N. Device works like a champ now. Excellent value as a dedicated device for my son, who is a sophomore in high school. He really loves it, and I love the great value and excellent build quality. Windows 8 is a little clunky and weird at first, but if you get used to it and leverage some online resources, you can quickly get up to speed and you'll start to appreciate "some" aspects of windows 8.

Overall, I am happy with this purchase and my son is extremely happy and motivated to start learning how to get the most out of it.