on June 27, 2014
I searched for a great length of time to find the best laptop that fit my needs: portability, gaming, school, and aesthetics.

I believe that this laptop I purchased meets all of these requirements exceedingly well. The build quality is solid, and the soft touch material is very comfortable to type on. As for portability, it is pretty lightweight considering it IS a gaming laptop with a 15.6" screen built in.

When you first get this laptop, expect a lot of bloatware to remove. For me, I just went ahead and did a clean re-install of Windows 8.1 and reinstalled the ones I needed. Conveniently for me, all of the drivers are included in another partitioned drive, so that made it easier. Although it was a pain to update the NVIDIA driver to the latest, it wasn't a very big deal. What I did was Youtube "Update your Lenovo Y50 NVIDIA Drivers" by uploader Bee Ho and follow his instructions. Smooth sailing after that.

Battery
-----
On average, I was able to achieve approximately 4 hours and 30 minutes with light usage, such as browsing the web, word processing and the like with power saving battery usage. Brightness down to one above the lowest setting. However, the battery performance while I was gaming dropped significantly. From 4:30 hours to a mere 2 hour battery life while playing games. My testing only included Portal 2, League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, and Path of Exile. However, I am not disappointed at all given this laptop's powerful hardware.

Keyboard
-----
The curved (red) backlit keyboard looks amazing especially with the black body surrounding it. The keys feel very satisfying to type on, and the keys are very well spaced out. However, my only gripe with the keyboard is the TINY Shift key, making me hit the up arrow key instead. However, it is very minor and I will get used to it. I wish Lenovo would have included a mute or music controls (it has only volume up/down) in the keyboard.

Display
-----
To my knowledge, this Y50 uses a TN matte panel display. As a result, I think the colors are a little bit washed, compared to my computer monitor. Despite this, the display is still decent, as it is full HD (1080p). The same images and games that appear on this screen make me think it is a higher quality compared to the monitor on my desktop, and is quite stunning. If this screen was an IPS display, it would have been perfect, but nonetheless a great screen anyway.

You can also spend an additional $90 to replace the display if the TN panel display is the only thing holding you back. An IPS display panel that is compatible with this Y50 is the LP156WF4(SP)(D1)by LG found at ([...]). You can choose a matte or glossy panel, depending on your own personal preference. The replacement process is shockingly easy to do as well, and there is even a YouTube video demonstrating the process, which can be found at ([...]). There's also a thread with more information and a list of compatible displays also, found on Notebook Review ([...]).

Trackpad
-----
One of the better trackpads I have used in a laptop since a long time. Although it isn't the best, finding a really good one is pretty hard. It looks sleek and is very smooth. The gestures work pretty well, even if there aren't that many. Pinch to zoom works pretty well, and two finger scroll is also pretty decent. I have not had any lags or freezes with the trackpad yet, so that is also very good. I believe this trackpad is suffice enough to work decently enough without a mouse, which for a laptop of this caliber, says a lot.

Audio
----
This laptop features a built-in sub-woofer located in the back. The sound quality of this machine is a lot better than what most laptops offer. Audio from this laptop is actually enjoyable, to the point where I don't find it necessary to plug in my speakers. I am not much of an audiophile but I know good sound when I hear it, and this laptop mostly delivers. A+.

Upgrade-ability
-----
The hard drive and RAM are relatively easy to upgrade as well. Huge bonus for this. On the back, you will see 12 Phillip head screws that you can unscrew to reveal the battery pack, RAM, and hard drive. The hard drive is held by 4 screws onto the caddy for easy replacement. The RAM sticks, as mentioned by the previous reviewer, is unfortunately a 2x4 (8GB) setup, which makes upgrading RAM to 16GB more expensive. Nonetheless, upgrading the hard drive to an SSD or RAM to 16GB is almost effortless. Definitely a bonus, +1.

Hard Drive
----
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider to buying a good SSD along with this laptop. This hard drive is the only thing bottlenecking this entire system. It's slow 5400 RPM can become really slow and makes programs start unreasonably slow. Restart and boot times can reach up to a minute or even more in length. Just unacceptable for a laptop whose other components are high quality. I personally went with a Samsung 840 EVO SSD (250GB). Boot times reduced drastically to 7-10 seconds and every program opens in under a second, which truly compliments the overall speed of the system.

Heat / Temperature
-----
After playing several hours of Watch Dogs with steady 40-50 FPS with High settings at Medium Textures, sometimes over 60 in some areas, the laptop never got hot to the point where it becomes concerning. The CPU never reached hotter than 77C over the course of over two hour constant gameplay. The (only) areas that get hot in this laptop are the JBL Branded Speaker area, as well as the hinge. Nowhere else on this laptop gets hot. The keyboard can get warm but not to any level of discomfort or enough to make you "sweat." Even after prolonged intense gaming, the laptop's fan noise was well controlled and was relatively quiet throughout. All of this plus the thin profile design of this laptop, deserves another A+ here.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 27, 2014
Just got mine in and immediately upgraded it to 16gb RAM and a Samsung Evo SSD.

The PC out of the box was nice, but once upgrade this thing is amazing. SSD makes the difference. the stock HDD is slow for the first few boots while it builds out the SSD portion with the needed files.

Few things to note for those interested. the machine DOES INCLUDE an external USB DVD+/-RW Drive. it is a rebranded LG GP60BN50. Also, this is an 8GB (2x4GB) system. Some of the videos online were showing a single 8GB chip but that is not how mine was. SSD and Ram upgrade is very simple. Remove 12 screws, plus 4 for the HDD caddy and 4 for the HDD itself.

Overall i am satisfied with the price I paid as the RAM and SSD i already had around from some work related items.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 10, 2014
As someone who has been using this laptop for all around purposes. I find this laptop perfect for all of them, but there are a few cons, but the pros of this laptop outweigh the cons, especially considering that many things like the screen, hard drive, and amount of RAM can be changed without too much trouble.

The Screen - In my opinion the screen isn't as bad as people make it out to be, yes the colors are a bit washed out but it is still a good enough screen to get by with and if I ever want to change it, there are plenty of YouTube videos showing how to do it and where to buy the new panel. Secondly the viewing angles aren't as great as a IPS panel but they are still not terrible. I can see everything just fine looking at it from a good bit off center.

The Speakers - The speakers on this laptop are great. They deliver clear sound as well as really loud sound. For me, at least, a comfortable level for the speakers where it isn't too loud or too quiet is at around 30-40% volume.

Battery - The battery life is decent I have been able to achieve 3-4 1/2 hours of battery life on average on day to day tasks like browsing the web and watching YouTube. But the battery recharges very quickly. For me it takes around 2-3 hours but there is a setting to charge the battery from dead to full in only 120 minutes.

Trackpad - the trackpad isnt that bad, for me it is good enough to use for times when I don't have a mouse available when I am on the go. But I did seem to be resting my palm on the trackpad when i was gaming which was annoying, however since the exterior of the laptop is a fingerprint magnet (which i will cover in a minture) I started to carry around a small microfiber cloth to clean it, I found that the cloth when placed over the trackpad for gaming works just fine as the trackpad doesn't detect anything.

Keyboard - The keyboard is overall pretty good, however on the right side of the keyboard the keys have gotten a bit squished together. Which means that I have had to adapt to the new keyboard as all the normal keys such as backspace and the enter key have been fit in between the number pad and keyboard. I do like the red back light keys that you can turn on and off whenever you please with two different light intensity settings, but I have noticed that, at least on my Y50, the keys in the middle of the keyboard like the "T" key does not get light up as much as the surrounding keys. The keyboard does have a bit of flex when you press down on it purposely, but under normal conditions it is not evident.

The Exterior - The exterior of this laptop has a very premium feel with the two way brushed metal. Which i learned very quickly picks up fingerprints very very quickly. The soft touch matte finish on the inside of the laptop also picks up smudges and fingerprints but not as easily. The only way I have found to clean off the exterior is with a micro fiber cleaning cloth, and going with the grain both ways which does the trick but takes about 5 minutes to do the whole cover.

Windows 8.1 - I know most people have a hatred for windows 8 but personally I don't think that it is that bad, but it does take a lot of getting used to coming from a windows 7 computer. However windows 8 has several built in features that I like, such as the free xbox music app, where you can play whatever song you want free of charge with a commercial every 5 songs or so, and the fitness app that come with windows 8 is a pretty cool feature as it allows for anyone to find workout routines and keep track on a diet. The one thing i don't really like about windows 8 is the fact that the "windows" key brings me to the tile view instead of the desktop, as well as everything being moved around from the spots they were in windows 7.

Gaming performance - The Nvidia GeForce 860M can play just about any game at a great frame rate on high to ultra settings. It does however produce a good bit of heat which is evident whenever I play an intense game, the WASD keys get a bit uncomfortably hot but looking at temperatures for gaming laptops the Y50 has a lower max temp than many of those only getting up to 80-85 degrees Celsius.

Side note - all the ports for connecting things are very tight and in the past week I've owned the laptop I have had to wiggle, anything i put into the ports, out. I did not experience terrible bloatware that slowed my computer to a stand still like reviews have said, yes there is bloatware but it isn't that bad and there are ways to remove it.

Overall, I would highly recommend this laptop to a friend who wants a mid to high end gaming laptop at a decent price. The combination of good processor and good graphics card all for hundreds of dollars less than laptops with similar specs. I also like knowing that I can easily change the RAM, change the hard drive to a SSD, or change the TN panel to an IPS panel whenever I want without much worry of messing up anything is definitely reassuring (and since the screws are just normal phillips head screws, no special tools are required). The camera quality is decent, just meant to be used for Skype or any other video service. I like the feel of the keys and the trackpad, the soft touch finish feels very premium and the keys have a nice feel to them. In closing this laptop is perfect for the gamer who also has other things they need a computer for, the Y50 has done everything I have asked it to do and then some, if you are considering this laptop I highly recommend it to you.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 22, 2014
Where to start? This laptop has quite a reputation should you Google it. The leading problem is the screen. I can't deny the screen has issues. The colors lack and unless you're viewing this straight on, one might confuse this beefy laptop for a entry level laptop.

Beyond the screen, which is amazingly easy to replace and takes less than 5 minutes. This laptop is one of the best mid-level laptops available. Like most I would replace the screen. Amazon offers an great replacement (AU OPTRONICS B156HAN01.1 LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 15.6" Full-HD DIODE) and you can search Youtube.com for easy to follow instructions. If you choose to stay with the default screen I would easily say the screen is not as bad as some have made it out to be. It's average at best. To say it's worse than that would simply be dramatic. Just be prepared to have the brightness turned up to 100.

Now that we are past the major issue with the laptop, we can get into the rest.
With an i7-4700HQ processor this laptop is fast. The benchmarks make this the second best CPU based on value and price. Shipping with 8 gigabytes of RAM is nice and most will not need to upgrade to 16 gb RAM unless they are doing Photoshop, video editing, or any other high resource programs.
The GTX 860m is a great video card. While not a high level card, the 860m brings power without lots of heat. Through my own experiences the left side of the keypad will get slightly warm, but not hot. While running Metro Last Light on ultra settings (1980 x 1080) I experienced no heat related issues as the venting and fan system is great. Similar to the Macbooks/Macbook Pros the exhaust is built under the screen.
While shipping with a very nice hybrid 1 terabyte drive, I upgraded mine with a 128 gb SSD for gaming. Should you choose to stay with the original HDD your performance might not be the best. The storage space and built-in 8 gb SSD make the hybrid drive really sing. The speed of the drive, 5200 rpm will cripple some experiences. The drives performance will increase with time as the SSD fills with commonly used files, but the overall speed might lead some to blame the laptop for occasional bottlenecks. For power user the HDD upgrade is a must, but very typical and easy fix.
The ease of opening and accessing the inside for upgrades should be noted. Upgrades will take 5 minutes or less.
Beyond the technical the Y50 is a beautiful fingerprint magnet. The brushed aluminum is gorgeous but retain fingerprints. The surface that houses the keyboard and touchpad is not as bad. The keyboard is very nice and the backlighting can really make this standout in a room. And if anyone in that room fails to notice they will be blasted by the sound as it is top tier. The JBL speakers and subwoofer are so nice, it may even change your opinion of laptop speakers. Truly a standout.
Battery life is average. With some changes to your configuration depending on situation I would say this laptop's run time can be really drawn out, but don't expect much beyond 4 hours without a recharge.

Since this is a Lenovo expect some bloatware. Nothing too annoying or crippling to uninstall but typical of Lenovo. The GPU will require an few updates as will Windows. So be sure to update your laptop before you begin "playing."

While not perfect the Lenovo Y50 is one of the best mid-level laptops available. A definite strong 8/10.
With a little extra time and investment (Screen and SSD) all the potential is unlocked. 10/10
on November 29, 2014
I got this laptop about two weeks ago and I was already a bit wary because of some of the things I'd heard. (Mostly that the screen might be a bit dodgy depending on the model and bottlenecks) After using it so far, I've come to the conclusion that for me personally, the screen is no big deal and I found it fine. However, there is a problem regarding the hardrive, which may just be bad luck and a defective product.

About two days ago, the laptop started making a repeated clicking noise which I can only assume is (from googling) apparently the hard drive and is supposed to happen, but it wans't before, so I'm not sure what to think. I figured I might have been crazy and it'd always been there, but now I'm convinced that probably wasn't the case. (The clicking is also on the wrong side from where the hard drive is) A day or so after that happened, I had multiple crashes of windows where it would freeze inexplicably and performance would slow to a crawl, task manager showing that there was 100% disc usage. Finally, after another freeze and a forced shutdown, I was greeted with an error informing me that the hard drive wasn't found and windows 8 wasn't able to boot.

So I look online, try one of the fixes and it works, once at least. I unplug, hold the power button for 15 seconds, replug in, enter bios, it shows the hardrive, Awesome, must have been a freak incident, right? Not quite. Windows boots, works for a while longer before running into the same problem. Force shutdown, whole song and dance repeats.

At this point, it's basically a 30/70% chance that it will successfully boot (and then freeze almost instantly as soon as I try to do anything on windows) or not find the hard drive at all. I'm currently in the process of debating whether to suck it up and buy a new hard drive and hope that fixes it, or I guess maybe ship it off for repairs, but there's clearly something wrong here when I've hardly used the thing and their is already a failure of this magnatude.

It's hard to say whether I just got unlucky or if this is common (this early, at least. I've seen a lot of people on forums listing similar problems, but they've had the laptop for much longer), so it's hard to know whether to reccomend or not, I figured it might just be worth telling people about this so they're prepared should the same thing happen to them.

Outside of the above, when it did work, I found no problems with it. Ran things fine, didn't get barely hot at all, I found the screen acceptable- my one complaint would be the keyboard which I had some issues getting used to, because I often found myself pressing the corners of keys only to have the input not be accepted. (Which is probably just a bad habbit I have from my previous Toshiba Satellite which has no problems with me doing so)

Hopefully it's just in need of a hard drive replacement and I can avoid having to send it off, but I honestly can't be sure at this point.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2014
Very good laptop, one thing to note is that this laptop is very thin and has a very discrete cooler, so it might get hot during gaming sessions, but overall it is very good for gaming and school work or pretty much any program you give it, thanks Lenovo!
on February 12, 2015
 After reading somewhat mixed reviews on this laptop I decided to give it a try. When I first received my Lenovo Y50 I was very excited to experience my very first "Gaming" laptop. I had no idea what I was in for. I guess I'll break it down in terms of pros and cons. I am somewhat tech savvy and can find my way around most computers pretty easily. I Owned my Lenovo Y50 for a little over a month before returning it. In this time I used my Lenovo for Gaming, Music, Videos, Social Media and whatever else I needed.

Here are the Pros:

Very nice casing: It has a aluminum feeling to it. (But it is definitely a fingerprint magnet like everyone has been saying)

Very speedy laptop: you can zip around your laptop very quickly and there were little to no hick ups in performance at all.

Gaming was okay: you could run most games that you would play on an Xbox 360 or a PS3 pretty good.

External DVD/CD Drive: It had came with a External DVD/CD drive that came in handy and was very easy to use!.

Now I will list the cons and my horrible experiences with this laptop
Cons:

Terrible display: I was coming from a Macbook Pro that wasn't even a "Full HD" display and the difference in screen quality was night and day.
The viewing angles are really bad, the color is very washed out looking.

Track Pad: The track pad was awful, it definitely took some time to get familiarized with it. Even when I had adjusted it, it was still pretty bad. I used a mouse for the first couple weeks of owning this laptop.

The Plastic Lining around the screen: Alright so when you first get the Lenovo Y50 they have the plastic film covering the lining around your screen, well when I had pulled that off a piece got stuck so I had to pick at it to get it off and after I accomplished that I had noticed a TERRIBLE scratch that was permanently stuck on the plastic lining around the screen, even after cleaning it with a microfiber cloth it still left terrible hairline scratch marks. Also dust likes to get stuck underneath the screen lining so that can be very frustrating as well.

The Notification Lights seeped out through the casing: So what I mean by this is that the notification lights that tell you that your computer is charging on the front of the laptop had a problem. The aluminum casing was not flush with the laptop so the light seeped through it. Very annoying and very irritating in low lighting areas. I tried to see if I could fix it but there was nothing I could do. So I figured I'd deal with it and cover up the lights with a little sticker.

The keyboard showed a glossy wear: So after owning this laptop for only about a month the space bar developed a slightly glossy wear to it. I feel like in only a month this shouldn't have happened that quickly. I bought a cover to use with it so I wouldn't create anymore wear but who wants to try and type with a rubber cover over your keyboard?.... NOT ME!.

and the FINAL con that made me decide to return this laptop......
The screen decided to start flickering......YEP! after only owning this laptop for a little over a month the screen decided to start flickering. Now let me be VERY CLEAR, I am extremely cautious with my electronics and I take VERY good care of them so there is NO reason why this should be happening in such a short time owning this laptop. I wouldn't have been so upset if this may have occurred within two years of owning this laptop but I have only had it for a little over a month and this problem started. I noticed it when I moved the screen of the laptop as far back as it could go while adjusting the screen for a better viewing angle. Out of no where the screen decided to start flickering. I was pretty upset and I have returned my Lenovo in hopes to get a full refund. You pay a good amount of money on something you expect it to at least last you a few years before you start to see any major problems. I am extremely upset with my purchase and after all these problems I realize that it's just not worth that amount of money for a product of this quality.
on December 2, 2014
This laptop is way more than I bargained for. Many people have complained about the screen in past reviews, but I have no problem whatsoever with it. My previous computer before this was a 2010 Macbook Pro, and I think this screen is just as good if not better than that.

The actual appearance of the laptop is a little bigger than I had originally thought which is not a bad thing at all. I could see however that it would be a bit bulky to carry to classes, or use on the go most of the time. I am using this as a desktop replacement so it doesn't leave the house too often. What shocked me was how thin this laptop actually is and how much power is actually packed into such a slim design.

I haven't done too many tasks so far besides some gaming, (Half Life 2 and League of Legends) but this computer has handled them both with stride.

I think the part that I am most pleasantly surprised by are the speakers, the added subwoofer on the bottom really brings any game you are playing to life, and honestly, I had to check behind me a few times to make sure the sound was actually coming from my computer.

Only downside so far about this laptop was the amount of bloatware that comes preinstalled with Windows 8.1, but honestly, that was a quick fix as any program I didn't want was easily uninstalled through the control panel.
on November 3, 2014
So far I'm very pleased with the computer. I do notice that out of the box it seems to hang but once I cleaned up the bloatware and got the computer customized it's way more snappy.

Here's a few things I want to point out.

The hard drive is a 1tb + 8gb hybrid. I wish they would've specified that, I would've ordered an ssd right away. I will replace soon.

The screen, as we know, isn't up to par. I only notice this while running programs in a window ie. Firefox, control panel, anything in a window. However once I turn on a game like dota 2 or shadow of Mordor it looks fantastic. Very crisp imo. It can run Dota maxed out. Shadow of Mordor though is on low quality but the game does not hang one bit and I don't have a spec of lag. Eventually I may plan on swapping the screen but it's not a priority.

I'm very pleased with the laptop. It's not heavy, looks sharp(even with finger prints)
on November 30, 2014
I have had my Lenovo y50 for about a month now. I purchased the laptop because my old ASUS X44H finally gave out on me. I have a desktop I built myself and I wanted a laptop that could play games on the go. I am also currently enrolled in college and needed a laptop that is portable and had decent battery life. I had looked around for an affordable gaming laptop which is near impossible. I decided to pull the trigger on this one and I couldn’t be happier. The backlit keyboard is beautiful and the build quality is very well done. The speakers blew me away as the amount of bass/treble they produce, having that subwoofer on the bottom really helps. My only cons about the Lenovo Y50 would be the heat dissipation, it gets very hot and kind of heats the entire laptop which can be annoying when you’re typing on the keyboard a lot while playing. However a cheap laptop cooling pad can fix that problem surprising well because the fan intake is on the bottom. Not to mention that’s what I get for choosing a super thin gaming laptop, how can you expect it to get rid of heat perfectly. Also the audio jacks really are not that great. Maybe it’s just the type of earphones I have but that’s not a big deal to me because I’ll just use my USB gaming headset.
Just to help you pull the trigger on this laptop and help you choose what you want. I also want to squash some of this hate generated on this laptop by the reviews. The Lenovo y50 right now is under one thousand dollars…... I know to most, including me, a thousand dollars is a lot but for gaming laptop that’s on the low end. Therefore do not expect it to be the ultimate gaming machine, if you want that go build a desktop or spend well over 2 grand for a laptop. The screen really isn’t that bad, I mean again it’s under 1k…. For an AFFORDABLE, PORTABLE, laptop it beats all. I put emphasis on affordable and portable because that’s what this laptop is, do not expect anymore. If you want to game occasionally on the go and need something affordable and portable this is your laptop. She looks great and runs great, also if you got the extra cash go for the i7 Intel. “Bigger the better”.