4.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo G585 is a surprising laptop bargain
Windows Experience Index 3.3 (Determined by lowest subscore)

Processor: Calculations / sec 3.3
Memory (RAM): Memory operations / sec 5.3
Graphics: Desktop graphics performance 4.0
Gaming Graphics: 3D Gaming performance 5.6
Primary Hard Disc: Disc data txfr rate 5.8

HARDLY a dog for what it went for on Black Friday. I'm very...
Published 21 months ago by B. Clark

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away, horrible video/cpu performance
Published 20 months ago by Bobby McGee

4.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo G585 is a surprising laptop bargain, November 30, 2012
This review is from: Lenovo G585 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black Textured) (Personal Computers)
Windows Experience Index 3.3 (Determined by lowest subscore)

Processor: Calculations / sec 3.3
Memory (RAM): Memory operations / sec 5.3
Graphics: Desktop graphics performance 4.0
Gaming Graphics: 3D Gaming performance 5.6
Primary Hard Disc: Disc data txfr rate 5.8

HARDLY a dog for what it went for on Black Friday. I'm very satisfied with the performance thus far. It is also my first experience with Windows 8, but I'm picking up on it pretty quickly. The G585 is working very well with it. Sure, speed could always be increased, but I'm stepping out of an ACER netbook. Anything is going to feel like lightning to me.

Lenovo customer service is also second to none when it comes to hardware support.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away, horrible video/cpu performance, December 16, 2012
Like most of the reviews, I purchased this during the $200 lightning deal and thought it was a great bargain. I wanted a laptop that could handle simple word processing tasks and online video/music playback, primarily YouTube and other flash sites. This thing struggles worst than my older single core Pentium laptop with 1gb of ram. Did I get a defective unit? is this a Windows 8 issue? Well I thought it was Windows 8, I was wrong. Ive tried installing Windows 7 and Ubuntu, both show horrible CPU/video performance. I am not talking about 1080p video playback, it struggles on 360p videos on YouTube with no other applications running. At 720p, CPU usage spikes to 100% for the first 30seconds and remains steadily at 60-75% after. This is my first experience with an AMD APU processor, and would never consider buying a laptop with one again. My friends netbook with an Atom processor can handle flash, I am still unsure if my unit is defective.

Cons:
- unable to handle video playback without choppiness
- screen is too dim even at the highest setting (for my preference)
- single DIMM slot, Lenovo site states it has 2 :(
- comes with Windows 8 and no media backup or software to create a disk
- BIOS options are very limited, even for a laptop (no way to increase shared video size, also Windows 8 license references?)

Pros:
- can handle word processing
- good weight

Other:
It does indeed come with a 320GB drive, model: WD3200BPVT (this one WD Blue 320 GB Mobile Hard Drive: 2.5 Inch, 5400 RPM, SATA II, 8 MB Cache - WD3200BPVT). Windows 8 and the recovery partition, just take up a lot of space. Wanted to see if swapping out the drive for an SSD would help, helps a little. Going to try my luck with Lenovo support, but I have a feeling there is nothing wrong with the laptop itself, its just a very very slow CPU.

4.0 out of 5 stars I hate buying laptops, January 7, 2013
I always build my own desktops, and though I love the mobility of the laptop, I hate paying laptop prices knowing that I could have 5 times the computer for the same price if I built it myself. But, for the Black Friday price, this thing was a steal.

I really just wanted a laptop for word processing, browsing the web, and responding to email while I was on the go. I wanted to replace my netbook, which was barely running at that point, but knew that I wanted more screen real estate going forward. Given what I was using it for, anything that cost more than this was absurd. This, however, was agreeable.

To my surprise, though, it's not too shabby for gaming. I installed Steam and have been playing Torchlight II, and even beat Portal and Portal II over Christmas week without any hangups. On the default settings, of course. It's not a gaming rig, after all.

I also love that they included a full 10-key on the right hand side of the keyboard. I can't imagine having a laptop without this now. It's awesome.

I like the multi-touch trackpad overall. I've tried to fine tune the sensitivity, but it still seems to have a few quirks, which are annoying but not a deal breaker. It will often zoom when trying to perform two-finger scrolling. It will also often scroll in the wrong direction if you're trying to scroll a very short distance. There was a problem with it activating app switching when trying to navigate too far to the left of the trackpad. There's an option to reduce the area that will activate app switching (or turn it off completely if you prefer), so now it only switches apps when I start with my finger off of the trackpad and swipe in from the left, just like using a Windows 8 tablet. Two-finger scrolling doesn't work in parts of the Metro UI, which is annoying.

The only thing that really irritated me, and the same thing that irritates me about all laptops, is the bloatware. I expect them to be there, but in this instance, most of the applications that Lenovo pre-installed merely duplicated the features that were already included in Windows 8 by default. Completely useless, and then taking up my hard drive space to boot. For the price, I can't really complain about having to take an hour or so to hunt down all of the junk they installed to remove it, but if I'd paid full price, or the price of most other laptops, I'd have much less to say about this laptop that's positive. It's 2013. People know how to use computers, they know what software they use, and they don't think they're getting a better deal because you're shipping your products with "OMG! So much free stuffs!" It's time for manufacturers to start shipping with clean, unmodified installs of Windows. The hardware is cheap. Most of what I'm paying for is software licenses. Given that, I'd like to get the software I'm paying for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Laptop, November 28, 2012
Bought this on Black Friday. Good basic computer. Decent speakers and screen. Good value. Would recommend this laptop to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice laptop for a good price, January 15, 2013
Aaron Hall (Humble, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I got this for my Son for college. It meets his needs fine. Getting used to Windows 8. My only concern is that it shows as having an HDMI port, but it does not. Otherwise, it works good.

1.0 out of 5 stars Decent laptop -- lousy warranty support, August 16, 2013
Peter Geis (Mariposa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Below comments reflect my initial experience with this laptop, which worked fine for a while. However, in October, after about 2 months, the AC port (where you plug in the power adapter) broke. I sent it to Lenovo (they covered the shipping, but I had to pay $10 to the local FedEx place to package it) to fix under warranty. They sent me an email saying "Broken base cover on both side of the unit, alsoo DC port and USB port broken" and want $360 to fix it (about what I paid in the first place). I don't know why those pieces should be broken. We have taken the computer on two trips and put it in a computer case both times. I left the power adapter plugged in, so maybe it got pushed against the case, but the case is padded, and it must be pretty flimsy if being pushed in a padded case could break it. Even if I did something wrong, why should they want the price of the original computer to fix one power port? I won't buy from Lenovo again.

We bought this to have a computer for taking on vacations, mainly to connect with Internet and check Email. We wanted a relatively large (for a laptop) screen, which this offers, but after the monitors on our desktops at home with 1920 X 1080 resolution, it gets old dealing with the amount of vertical scrolling we need to see the same pages on the laptop.

The computer worked fine out of the box. We have Windows 8 on one of our home computers, so are used to it. I won't defend or attack it here, it's not the poor laptop's fault.

As some people noted, the touch pad seems very sensitive, windows keep popping up and actions occur which are not intended as we move our finger near the pad. I don't like touch pads anyhow, and solved the problem by buying a USB trackball that works fine. After a few days the laptop's display started suddenly dimming slightly for no apparent reason. A Google search revealed that by turning off something called ambient light awareness, the problem stopped.

We just got back from a four day vacation when this was our connection to the Internet, and it met our needs and expectations. The wireless connection had no problem finding our cabin's wireless (we also have wireless at home, which the computer found immediately). A lot of the time we were within reach of an electric outlet and could run via the AC adapter. When we needed to move and unplug the power, the battery took over no problem. We had the display brightness cranked up to the max, and it told us we had four hours of life when we first disconnected. Don't know if that is reasonable, but we never used the battery more than an hour and a half at a time.

We don't watch whole movies, but it handled videos acceptably. The speakers are pretty low end, but quite intelligible.

Assuming we don't run into failures in the future, this laptop is a good deal at the price (we paid $379, including tax, plus $24 for the trackball), for a secondary computer. I wouldn't choose it for my primary computer, though maybe it would be fine for kids.

2.0 out of 5 stars poor service, April 15, 2013
when i got my lenovo g585 it did not work. i contacted the seller and was told he was to busy to help me with the problem. so i had to take it to my own teck man who got it up and running for me no thanks to this seller. over all i had to replace the battery , it was faster and cheaper than sending it back. the laptop is great but the service was the worst.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop for good price, February 23, 2013
First off Great laptop. I've had it over 5 months now. The laptop looks professional and is kinda a Matte black on the front (looks really good). I use it for college and work processing mainly but haul it around in my backpack everywhere i go and has stood up very well especially for the price. Also watch videos, pandora, and youtube pretty much everyday. Everything loads up pretty quick and WIFI works very well and consistent. Five Stars because I've had no problems at all downloaded google chrome for internet. Oh one thing I dont really like is that the right shift key is a little smaller than other Lenovo laptops like the thinkpad but not a big deal. BOTTOM LINE: If you don't need a POWERHOUSE computer and download a ton of files for a thousand or more dollars and use a computer for researching online, movies, and word processing you cant go wrong with this one, and if it breaks your only out a smaller sum of money compared to other laptops.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for my purpose, December 7, 2012
I definitely have to say this is a good laptop for my purpose and the fact that it had only costed $199. I definitely needed one because my old laptop was falling apart, literally. It definitely feels lighter than my old laptop, but it also has less extra things like an HDMI port and bluetooth. I'll miss the Bluetooth feature, but fortunately I have a dongle for that when it comes to playing music with my Bluetooth speakers.

One of the things that I like about it is that is has a numeric keypad. My old laptop did not have that. However, though I do find myself having to readjust, because I was use to not having it.

This laptop seems to handle graphics very well. It can play my old games even better than my old computer. It's also very silent, I barely hear the fan.

I wished they made the touchpad wider, because I have a tendency to touch the left edge which will make it switch to another app. Other than that, I love it. However, I was confused why Amazon.com says it has 320GB of HD, when it only has a 250GB C: drive and 24.9GB D: drive.

2.0 out of 5 stars Windows eight issues or is it the PC?, November 28, 2012
Does not boot up properly. Sometimes it locks up with a black screen, And you are forced to remove the battery in order to get it going again. Anyone else having trouble? I see other complaints at bestbuy website and on a google search. I love the price and it is nice once it is booted up.

Lenovo G585 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black Textured)
Used & New from: $199.99