4.0 out of 5 stars Something new
I fell in love with this laptop, from the first moment I saw it, this IdeaPad has a nice design and offers great power in a nice package.

The screen tilts all the way back, using the keyboard as the base. Excellent for watching videos or simply using it as a touchscreen pc. Kind of reminds me of an All-In-One PC http://amzn.to/1uGNW7q

Its incredibly...
Published 7 months ago by Christian F.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Product - Worth a buy
- would have given 3.5 stars of possible
- if you are looking for a super-slim laptop that weighs next to nothing then look elsewhere. This one while not abnormally bulky, is not the thinnest or the lightest laptop.

Published 7 months ago by aguy

4.0 out of 5 stars Something new, June 4, 2014
Christian F. (Caracas, Venezuela) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 15 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Ultrabook (59401418) Black (Personal Computers)

Its incredibly thin, under 0.9 inches tall with the lid closed. As an UltraBook it must meet the performance specifications from intel, those are if you don't know them:

* Ultra Responsive (Good CPU + GPU)
* Screen sharing (Wireless Display, touchscreen)
* Natural Interactions (Voice Control)
* Instantly Available (wake in under 3sec)
* Battery Life
- At least 7 days standby mode
- At least 8 hrs with Windows 8 in idle mode
- At least 6 hrs with HD Video Playback
* Thin and stylish

So, if there's the word ultrabook in the title you know its good and complies with all the previous.

The screen is a standard resolution 1366 x 768 with 10 point touchscreen, The processor an Haswell i7 Ultra Low Voltage processor, the only way to achieve those battery times. Due to Hyperthreading, the two cores can handle up to four threads in parallel. The base speed is 1.8 GHz, and can increase to 3.0 GHz through Turbo Boost.

It comes maxed out at 8GB ram, it can't support any more, but that's enough for mostly every task you can through at it. Another important thing you should know is that out of the 3 USB ports, only 1 is USB 3.0. It also comes with Bluetooth 4.0

Windows 8.1 is preloaded and runs smooth and lagfree, and with the touchscreen you will feel right at home.

Now for the parts that I didn't like so much:

* No VGA/DVI port, so I wont be able to use my monitor without an adapter http://amzn.to/1t3wOUM
* Only 500GB at a slow 5200rpm, updated mines to the 840 EVO http://amzn.to/1F1zslC

This is an excellent valued laptop, if you can afford it, go ahead and buy it, you wont regret it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Product - Worth a buy, June 7, 2014
- would have given 3.5 stars of possible

- its quite stylish . Its color scheme is really eye-catching: The cover is clad in a matte black finish, while the sides are coated in gray

- it contains a host of connectivity options, including three USB ports, an HDMI output, an SD card reader, and an ethernet jack. Also of note is Lenovo's power input, which charges the Flex very quickly.

- The touchscreen is a slight disappointment, however. With a resolution of 1366 x 768 stretched across a 15-inch panel, the image isn't as sharp as I would like .

- apart from that nothing can beat the robustness of a lenovo laptop. I am a very rough handler of my gadgets and lenovo is on top of my list among all in terms of survival from fall, scratches, water etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop With a Few Drawbacks, July 31, 2014
What's Great:

I love the price of the laptop. You'd be hard pressed to find another touchscreen laptop with a hybrid hard drive and an i7 processor at this price point.

To anyone questioning the functionality of a touchscreen on a laptop: It's wonderful, if not a must with windows 8 and 8.1. It makes navigating a lot more straightforward and a lot less time consuming.

Windows 8.1 has some really nice features. It has a desktop, like any other laptop, but also has many useful apps. Among my favorite apps is the news app (which pulls news reports from many different publications and is highly customizable to your preferences) and the finance app (where you can read financial news, get stock quotes, and view your online trading accounts)
*note that my laptop came pre-loaded with windows 8, which has many of the same features, but the 8.1 update was free and took maybe 10 minutes to install.

Being able to run 2 applications at once in split screen is nice, and the screen is big enough for one to be able to still see both applications well.

Another nice feature is lenovo's facial recognition software. I feel more secure in public being able to log into my laptop using my face rather than typing in a password. I have experimented with my family, and the laptop does not open to faces that have not been registered in the computer.

What Isn't so Great:

Battery life is less than satisfactory. I have read reviews saying that you could get 4 hours out of a single charge, but I have yet to do this. Lowering screen brightness might help, but that brings me to the second problem...

Screen brightness is lacking. Even on its highest setting, visibility outside is a struggle.

Another minor issue is the hard drive, The solid state drive makes the computer snappy starting up, but as far as a can tell, you can't store anything else on it, which leaves you using the traditional hard drive for everything else.

A couple apps that came pre-installed didn't work, but I was able to find free replacements for them on the Microsoft store.

There isn't a cd/dvd reader, but one can be bought for less than $40.

One last thing that should be talked about is accessories. If you buy this laptop, you should be aware that it will not fit in most 15.6 in laptop bags/backpacks/cases. This isn't a big deal, but I would recommend you order a bag/backpack/case that is made for 17 inch laptops. Additionally, if your planning on ordering an external battery, be sure that the manufacturer specifies that it fits lenovo laptops. I ordered one that "fits most laptops" and had to return it.

Conclusion: If you are in the market for a laptop under $700 with some serious power and are willing to tote the charger or an extra battery around, you should strongly consider this laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop!, July 30, 2014
Reviewista (Tri Cities, WA USA) - See all my reviews
My laptop buying venture was a bit rocky at first, but I finally found this little piece of Awesome.

I've used the flex option just to say I did it, but I don't intend on using it often -- it's more of a gimmick than anything. Though, that's not why I bought this laptop.

Pros:
This was a breeze to set up
It's quiet
Doesn't heat up more than lukewarm
Keys are responsive
Very light weight
Didn't have to get rid of a bunch of crapware
Very very fast loading pages (I was impressed)
Audio is good
streaming HD videos no problems

Cons:
The only con I have found which hasn't presented an issue yet is that the keyboard isn't backlit. It's not really a con, so much as a "ah it doesn't have back-lighting".... Trust me this laptop is well worth the money!

*I haven't had the problem with the dark screen like some reviews mentioned or the pulsing dim/bright screen.

*Even though I have several touch screen devices and it's natural to use the touchscreen, I find that on this laptop I barely use it. Though it's responsive and solid.

Overall, I'm completely content with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo Rocks, June 13, 2014
Everything about this unit is great. Like the speed with the series 7 processor.Sound is excellent. However there is 1 flaw. The battery life is not 5 hours. Had to plug up while writing this.. otherwise it works fine. just keep charger nearby.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good all around laptop, June 28, 2014
While it is not the most powerful of laptops it is very good value for the price. Even though I did not need the tablet functions, they work well and do not get in the way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, July 11, 2014
It's a budget computer very good value for money. So far, it's perfect for my kid using for the school work. Battery life is good. It's a little bit hassle to have a DVD or CD because it doesn't have DVD-ROM. But who use DVD recently?!

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Computer EVER!!!!, November 18, 2014
P's Mom "Jamila" (Saint Charles, IL) - See all my reviews
Run away from this computer! It is the single worst purchase we have ever made. We have not even owned this 6 months and we had to have it sent back the manufacturer to replace the hard drive and the motherboard due to rebooting errors. The window updates constantly tried to update and it would not work. Even with the other fixes we still having issues with windows updating every time you use it - it does it multiple times and restarts multiple times taking about 15-30 minutes to start up! They told us we would have to pay $150 to get a fix. Now it has stopped recognizing our wifi and erroring that our modem is erroring even though our phones and kindle have wifi working just fine. I also will say the screenbrightness and battery are terrible. Donot lusten to the good reviews and run from this piece of junk!!! Spend the money and buy an apple. I am so sad we decided to take the risk and didnt:(

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, June 23, 2014
Much better than what I expected. It's a light and slim one. Extremely quick to to boot up. It takes around 10 secs to boot.
Battery lasts almost 5 hrs.
Performance is great.
Does not heat up
Cons
Hard drive is small at 500 gb
No DVD drive.

Overall a great laptop for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and good laptop - bit large/ heavy and low resolution, July 27, 2014
user1 (Bellevue, WA United States) - See all my reviews
It is pretty neat.

Slightly large like all 15.6" laptops and isnt as light but is OK.

While all the specs look awesome - core i7, 8gb ram etc. i wonder why Lenovo had a resolution isn't 1080p. The resolution 1366 x 768 is a disappointment to me.

I ordered this before realizing it is 1366x768p. Amazon had already shipped it before I cancelled it. Then, I didn't open the box for a week thinking I would return it. But when I called them about returning it, they said, they would have 20% restocking fee though I did not open the amazon box that contains the lenovo box of the laptop.

So, instead of losing 20% on it, I started using it.

I wish to give it a 3.5 stars because of low resolution and 1366x768 slightly large size.

Otherwise, it's nice - very comfortable keyboard, layout, multiple ports, HDMI, Flex.

You may not have many Core i7 options for 650 price.

Finally - I am upset with amazon that I will look for other places to buy things.