5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo Review
So far, very impressed. Fast, responsive. Like the non-top heavy lid. Keypad feel awesome, set up easy and complete walk through.
Published on September 15, 2012 by Trish

3.0 out of 5 stars But all that can be fixed...
The setup:
I normally use a Toshiba L755, which I love. However, due to circumstances nothing short of disastrous, it required repairs I couldn't manage myself. These took FOREVER. I needed a computer in a hurry, and my only option was to buy a new, inexpensive one. This is the model I chose.

The beginning:
When I opened the box, I was...
Published on September 18, 2012 by Farscape 1

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars But all that can be fixed..., September 18, 2012
This review is from: Lenovo G570 4334EAU 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
The setup:

The beginning:
When I opened the box, I was pleasantly surprised. The computer feels very well made, more so in fact than the Toshiba. First, I upgraded the memory to 8GB, which was easily done. I plugged it in, turned it on, and started the lengthy update process necessary to keep Windows happy. It completed without error. I then set about installing the software I planned to use, and expunging the bloatware, which was less than came with the L755. Heartened that this might mean there would be no teething problems, I then went to work.

The muddle:
Though not as fast, everything appeared well... at first. This did not last long.
I burn a lot of DVDs. Instructional videos, Youtube videos, home movies, work videos, etc. the quality of these is very important to me. Those I created with the G570 were a DISASTER. They locked up. They skipped. They refused to play. I was furious.
I thought Lenovo had been saving money, putting a cheap DVD burner in my machine. I upgraded to a Samsung SE-208BB, which was simple, as Lenovo clearly has thought about ease of service. This improved things a bit. Discs no longer refused to play or locked up. However, they still skipped. Fighting my desire to find a fireaxe, I then turned my attention to Windows.
I burn discs using Windows all the time. It's easy, fast, and the best programmes for burning are FREE. I know my software well, and knew I wasn't at fault. So, I started tweaking.
Nothing helped. Days and DOZENS of ruined discs later, I was far behind, and entertaining dire thoughts about 'bargain' equipment. Then I had an Idea.

The end <sort of>:
I upgraded the HDD to a 750GB WD Blue. This was easy. then I popped a Ubuntu 12.04 CD in the tray, and booted to CD. I whizzed through the Install/update cycle, added the equivalent programmes, held my breath, and set to work.
POOF! Problems solved! No skippy discs, no popups begging me to 'pleasepleaseplease buy our ', no 'reduced functionality' versions of software. All was right with the world!
Wait... why isn't the BATTERY charging?!

I GIVE UP <except I never do>
More when I figure out what the HELL is wrong this time.

UPDATE 25 Sep, 2012:
There IS a way to keep the battery at full charge in Ubuntu!
BEFORE YOU INSTALL UBUNTU!!!: Charge the battery fully, turn OFF all LENOVO ENERGY MANAGEMENT features, even those under the 'advanced' tab, then restart the computer. Leave the laptop plugged in whilst you install and update Ububntu. Restart the computer. It should now keep the battery topped up. At least, it has for me.
There remains NO WAY to burn an acceptable DVD under Windows7.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't count on tech support, October 29, 2012
I bought this laptop on May 2011. 5 months later the left hinge came apart. It was fixed under warranty. On October 2012 the left hinge came apart again even though this laptop is handled carefully. Local Lenovo lab says they can't do anything but fix it if I pay for it. Google revealed it is a known failure. Lenovo still refuses to fix it again. Cars are fixed under recall years after warranty expires. I expect Lenovo to do the same. Meanwhile, I offer not to buy Lenovo.
[...]
Lenovo G570 4334EAU 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo Review, September 15, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars COMMON HINGE PROBLEM- Go ahead google it, August 4, 2013
When I first purchased this laptop I was happy with it. It did everything I needed it to do without a problem. Was it top of the line? No but I didn't pay top of the line price so who cares? Then after about three months I noticed one of the sides coming up a little. Looking around I found one of the hinge screws had fallen out. Odd, but I just screwed it back in, no biggie. A week later, the same thing happens only this time the screw just slips out. I can't screw it back in. The other hinge screw is in so I'm just careful with opening and closing the laptop. One month later the OTHER SCREW slips out too! It can't just be screwed in either so now I can't open the laptop without basically tearing up the edges. I tried getting in contact with Lenovo and of course after being routed through India I was told to ship it at my own expense. Over $30 and a week for damn screws. If there was some sort of software problem or even a more complicated hardware problem I think I would be more forgiving, but hinges? Really? This is just shoddy workmanship. I am not bother with Lenovo ever again and you shouldn't either.

1.0 out of 5 stars Known Issue: Hinges break and screws fall out, February 19, 2013
I purchased the Lenovo G570 for my daughter to use in college. After reading several reviews, I thought it would be a great and affordable computer for her. Was I ever wrong! How I overlooked all the bad reviews, I don't know.

Go to the Lenovo forum at: [...] to see for yourself.

Essentially the problem is that repeated opening and closing of the lid causes internal parts to break. Many people have this occur within the first five months of owning the computer. My daughter treats her laptop gently and so it didn't start happening to her laptop until at about seven months.

Most people on the forum have had Lenovo refuse to repair it under warranty. The best solution I've read thus far is to disassemble the computer and then glue the hinges on with epoxy! We're still trying to figure out what to do.

Other than this problem, my daughter loves her laptop. However, if you don't intend to leave your laptop open all the time, I'd recommend you look elsewhere.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great... Until the HINGE pulled the case open!, February 10, 2013
Couldn't have been happier with the overall buying and setup experience of this PC. Came from amazon with a very clean operating setup, and lenovo's boot optimizer is an excellent feature.

Would have bought a 14" unit purely out of preference and habit, the offset touchpad and placement of ancilliary keys seems odd compared to every other PC we have.

...but that was all ok.. until the screen hinge levered the case of this PC open at the left rear corner as it sits in your lap. Really? It's called a laptop. People, you know, set them in their laps to type with the screen open. So, that hinge should be,, um, at least vaguely sturdy!! #fail.

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for stationary at-home use - falls apart with minimal use, January 26, 2013
QAWeb (Left Coast, Kalifornia) - See all my reviews
I bought mine from Amazon late Nobember 2011. It worked well.It did NOT have bluetooth but a good deal on price - UNTIL you load it with critical info. My work then provided another lapto so G570 was VERY SELDOM
used except for monthly bill paying, usually with external monitor. The point is that I lifted the hinged display MUCH LESS FREQUENTLY than any other laptop I use now at work or in the past. So MY PROBKEM may become YOUR problem in half the time?! No problems UNTIL one month AFTER the 12 month warranty. It seemed stiffer when opening and a second look discovered "raising and lowering the lid causes the case to flex open!"
According to Ibm's own website of customer forums from US and UK, it is enough to disloddge parts and break others. I am tempted to suggest EVERYONE who does not YET have this problem gently tighten each screw and apply locktite or enamel fingernail polish if it exists anymore! Amazon! Sell me a mod kit - I'll buy a couple for myself and a few friends !!
So a very good price point MAY COST YOU if you use it regularly as a laptop on your travels in town, and riskier still as your main tool traveling internationally. Qaweb

Addenda: hinges and plastic have only 90 day warranty if ibmforums are correct:

[...]

1.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo warrenty policies are anti-customer?, November 27, 2012
My first review and it's a bummer. Lenovo has a very efficient warrenty process, but alas I think it is there simply to make money....

We sent our 2 month old laptop in for warranty. It was in mint condition (no scratches, marks, or blemishes and never left my daughters bedroom) except for the fact that one evening the monitor failed. They quickly said the laptop was damaged by us, and thus it is not covered. I called back to get more information. They could give no basis for how they had this knowledge other than to say "our technology team says it looked cracked on the inside, and they are in charge". Remember, there were no marks at all on this machine. We do not know how/why it failed. I just know it stopped working. Apparently they are all-knowing. When I asked "don't you ever have a defective monitor?" The answer was "no... unless there are just a few bad pixels, it's always a customer damage/problem."

To add insult to injury, they want to charge me $300 to fix the laptop! Given this laptop only cost about $350, that seems outrageous! (Looking on Amazon, a replacement monitor is only $50, so it looks like that is the route I will need to take.)

Bottom line... don't buy Lenovo -- you are taking the risk that you'll be stuck with a defective machine and their warranty doesn't seem to count.

Update: The $300 charge to fix this machine only get's better! I've never replaced a screen on a laptop, but I'm handy and frugal, so I didn't want to waste any more money. I went ahead and spent 10 minutes on Amazon to find the right replacement screen to order. Found it $58 and it arrived at my house two days later. Watched a 5 minute video on web showing me how to take apart the screen of this Lenovo. Took about 40 minutes to swap out the screens. Total work time, less than one hour. Total cost (retail!) for the part - $58. So... let's do the quick math: assuming Lenovo is getting their parts at about 1/2 the price (say, $30), and since they shipped it back to me anyway (no extra cost for them there), and assuming they can replace that screen twice as quick as me since I've never done this before (the could probably do it in 20 minutes, but let's say 30) that means their per-hour rate is about $540/hour! Not bad for warranty work. Like I said, their process around warranty was great, but that seemed to have little to do with customer service and everything to do with simply getting more money from customers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product for the price., November 19, 2012
This is my 2nd Lenovo. My first one was G550. It runs good for the price and everyday use. I had it for 2 years and had absolutely NO problems doing day to day downloading and regular non-graphic intensive computing Hence, I invested in a 2nd machine. This computer runs faster and I have confidence in the brand. It is much faster if you increase the RAM to 8g.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, October 9, 2012
This product was ordered to replace an older Lenovo. It has been working great and performing above our expectations. The 4 GB of Ram and 320 GB harddrive are just right for our needs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Lenovo G570 4334EAU 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black)
Used & New from: $895.00