Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

on September 20, 2012
I did a good bit of research on laptops before making a purchase, went into stores, read reviews, etc. A few comments.

A number of people note how the screens are flexible, go into a store and try bending screens, all thin laptops are quite flexible. Seems odd to me too, but if everyones doing it, it must work.

I saw a few reviews about wireless problems with the u310, but saw many other good review so I disregarded. Don't disregard. There is a detailed summary at [...].

Seems to be that lenovo figured out the wifi was really bad, but kept selling units and just fixed it on the new ones. I bought my laptop on Sept 20, it was manufactured on May 28, the fix didn't come out until July 23... The date is printed at the bottom of the tag on the outside of the box, so if you buy in a store you can check.

In my case, the speed seemed not great to me, but the range was terrible. I got maybe 50 feet from the router before I lost signal. Even my phone (which I think has pretty bad reception for wifi) was better than that. I decided to go into work and see if I could pick up signal at my desk and couldn't ... back to the store we go. I read lots of reviews of 2-3 weeks for repairs and the problem not fixed, didn't sound like what I wanted to do with a brand new laptop.

Aside from the wifi issues, it was a great unit, solid build, really nice touchpad, good keyboard, screen was fine. I suppose some people might only use a machine at home, but for anyone that travels around, I think the wifi problems makes this machine a no-buy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2012
The first laptop I received was obviously defected. The bezel around the screen was unattached and the wireless card refused to work at all.

The replacement got off to a better start, however things ultimately ended up in a return and a refund. The body of the laptop is okay. Metal bottom and lid but the inside is plastic. The screen brightness is very low even at max settings and the colors are extremely washed out.

The deciding factor in returning the laptop came down to the wireless card. It just doesn't work correctly. I re installed windows, updated the drivers, upgraded to Windows 8 but nothing helped. It had problems connecting and when it did connect my speeds were horrible.

There are much better alternatives out there for your money. It's a shame, Lenovo used to be my go-to brand.

Do yourself a favor and spend a little bit more for an HP or even a DELL (can't believe I just recommended a Dell laptop).
on January 3, 2013
I ordered this laptop for my wife for xmas. It is going back after two days of light use. Take the warning that there are WiFi issues seriously. Amazon must have a bulk hold on the older models that still have this issue. Do yourself a favor and get something else.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2013
Wifi does not work ... period. What else is there to say? Lenovo should reimburse all purchasers of this flawed product.
on December 1, 2012
How I (try to) use it - note-taking for school, net browsing, listening to music, occasionally streaming movies

- It looks very nice, if not particularly original. (Cough, macbook clone, cough)
- It's light and portable.
- Speakers are decent, as laptop speakers go.
- Battery power is usually pretty good, and is excellent when not using wireless internet. (Not sure how wired internet affects it, sorry.)
- Price was good relative to the specs.
- Once it's up and running, it runs well in terms of how fast things load, plus it's never crashed or frozen.

Cons - the one big problem that would make me never buy a Lenovo again:
After just 2-3 months, the machine sometimes can't be powered up. Charges fine, works perfectly when it's on. But let it hibernate or shut it down, and it sometimes won't turn back on for hours of trying. Then, randomly, it'll work again. After the second stressful day of this happening (with a few days of normal operation in between), I changed all my settings so as to just turn off the screen, but leave the system running. Called Lenovo, and will be sending it back after the Fall semester is finished in a couple weeks. Will update on how that goes. UPDATE (1/26/13) - Slow process, but success! Lenovo sent me a box, I sent it back with the computer in it, they replaced the motherboard and sent it back. Shipping was not slow, but the cost was covered. First day using it again, seems to be alright. Hopefully won't have to update this again!

Cons - other little things that always bugged me:
- DISPLAY - It's just off, for lack of a better word. While using it to take notes on PDFs during lectures, for example, my colors appear slightly distorted compared to my classmates' screens. Annoying for classes like histology, and I'd imagine for any art/graphics work, too. Another example, watching movies - always find myself adjusting the screen in order to fix either washed out lights, or darks that are indistinguishable.

- TOUCHPAD - I have small hands, and even I tend to hit the GIANT touchpad while typing, moving my cursor to some other place. There's a hotkey to turn of the touchpad, but turning it on and off every time I want to stop and start typing is annoying, so I've mostly learned to hold my hands up.
- Trying to right click by hitting the bottom right of the touchpad often gives me a left click. For being so huge of a touchpad, the area dedicated to right clicks is tiny.
- Scrolling with the touchpad works by moving two fingers together. Zoom is by moving two fingers together/apart. When I'm trying to scroll, I often end up zooming. Zoom is super sensitive, too, tough to make slight adjustments, so I end up just using keyboard shortcuts.

- BATTERY/BODY DESIGN - The battery is sealed up INSIDE the cutesy, minimalist, case. Annoying when you want to do a hard reset. Or if you want to carry a spare battery. Exasperating when the Lenovo support tech says, "OK, try taking the battery out?" I CAN'T without probably voiding my warranty, but thanks. Really inspires confidence about how well the phone techs know the product.

My Sony from 2005 is running strong, if a little noisy and slow compared to this new Lenovo. Should've just bought another one of those...
on August 25, 2013
Without a doubt the worst wifi connectivity of any laptop on the market. Looks beautiful; but without reliable wifi what good is it?
on October 7, 2012
The following is my post at the Lenovo forum.

My experience with U310 (India, build May'12)

The beginning:
My late evening purchase of U310 was eventful. I'd planned to get a MacBook Air 13" (MBA). But certain reservations about MBA, opportunity to save some bucks & the dark impulse to buy resulted in a predicament.

The conflict:
Same night, as I opened the lid of my new laptop, I could smell -- as everybody here knows -- WiFi issues. Within minutes I was on this thread -- on my desktop -- and my 'experience' of purchase was polluted with regret, fear and disappointment. I stayed up almost the entire night, and my hunt continued in the morning -- I took leave from my work. Threads/experiences confirmed my fear. I owned a defective box.

Suddenly, I could notice other issues with the laptop -- flexing of keyboard, the extremely light keys (which leaves one with a feeling of poor material quality), frequent undesired outputs of trackpad. The overall experience was -- simply -- sad.

The resolution:

I took a suggestion on a thread on Lenovo forum quite seriously -- 'return your laptop'. Most impactful was the article by a 'Bastler' (Second from top, Link: [...]. I am extremely grateful for the active members of the thread.

So, on the next evening of purchase, I went to the retailer and -- after 3-4 hours of persuassion -- finally convinced him for an exchange with another laptop. Those from India may understand the struggle.

After enough research I finally set my mind on MacBook Pro 13" -- of course at a premium. I got it within a week.

The experience of my first Mac was, again simply, awesome. The build quality, the trackpad, the design and almost everything is just wonderful -- and a lot better than U310. Macbook is an experience.

The ouput:
Every company has problems. Macbooks have their own history of hard drive failures. New OS X update (Apple) for Macs has -- and had -- serious battery, WiFi problems. As per users (apple forum), some of those issues still exist after years. I think 'issues' shall always exist. It , now, depends on what and how much can you tolerate. I've had Thinkpad R410 -- and I had loved it. The U310 experience was a disaster nullified by a great experience of a MacBook.

Do your research -- I tell myself -- before an expensive decision.

PS. I want to thank all the users -- vicitims, should I say? -- to highlight this issue.

on July 30, 2013
Bought this yesterday and I really liked the look and design.. however, luckily I tested the Wifi reception due to reading the reviews here. Sure enough it only got good speeds when right next to my router. I moved into next room and it dropped to under 1MB (From 20MB) I even changed the settings and un-installed the power mgmt software as detailed on Lenovo forums and it did not work. My 7 year old Dell gets way faster speed over Wifi which is un-acceptable.

Do not buy until Lenovo fixes it if Wifi is important to you.
on August 20, 2012
Long story short - the product has a manufacturer's issues with the wireless adapter. It is acknowledged by their rep on the lenovo support message boards, but was not communicated broadly to everyone who had purchased one. That is, they are trying to hide it instead of issuing a recall. I called their support and it will take two full weeks to ship back and get it serviced and returned (in the US). Do not buy this computer.
on September 6, 2012
I wasnt expect the building quality is so wonderful, very cool very solid!
The old wifi signal problem is fixed now, I've tested it intensively use on varies conditions comparing to my thinkpad laptop, iphone, ipad, etc. People who are interested in this laptop shouldn't worry about it now.

but the battery life is not that great. It is advertised as 7h which is not quite possible.
under normal usage of wifi and multimedia, I got about 4h battery life.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse