4.0 out of 5 stars it is just great. the wifi problem is fixed now
I wasnt expect the building quality is so wonderful, very cool very solid!
The old wifi signal problem is fixed now, I've tested it intensively use on varies conditions comparing to my thinkpad laptop, iphone, ipad, etc. People who are interested in this laptop shouldn't worry about it now.

but the battery life is not that great. It is advertised as 7h...
Published on September 6, 2012 by chemnash

2.0 out of 5 stars wifi issues a killer
I did a good bit of research on laptops before making a purchase, went into stores, read reviews, etc. A few comments.

A number of people note how the screens are flexible, go into a store and try bending screens, all thin laptops are quite flexible. Seems odd to me too, but if everyones doing it, it must work.

I saw a few reviews about wireless...
Published 24 months ago by Ryan England

2.0 out of 5 stars wifi issues a killer, September 20, 2012
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad U310 43752BU 13.3-Inch Ultrabook (1.7 GHz Intel Core i5-3317U Processor, 4GB DIMM, 500GB HDD, 32GB SSD, Windows 7 Home Premium) Graphite Gray (Personal Computers)

I saw a few reviews about wireless problems with the u310, but saw many other good review so I disregarded. Don't disregard. There is a detailed summary at [...].

Seems to be that lenovo figured out the wifi was really bad, but kept selling units and just fixed it on the new ones. I bought my laptop on Sept 20, it was manufactured on May 28, the fix didn't come out until July 23... The date is printed at the bottom of the tag on the outside of the box, so if you buy in a store you can check.

In my case, the speed seemed not great to me, but the range was terrible. I got maybe 50 feet from the router before I lost signal. Even my phone (which I think has pretty bad reception for wifi) was better than that. I decided to go into work and see if I could pick up signal at my desk and couldn't ... back to the store we go. I read lots of reviews of 2-3 weeks for repairs and the problem not fixed, didn't sound like what I wanted to do with a brand new laptop.

Aside from the wifi issues, it was a great unit, solid build, really nice touchpad, good keyboard, screen was fine. I suppose some people might only use a machine at home, but for anyone that travels around, I think the wifi problems makes this machine a no-buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars WiFi Issues., January 3, 2013
I ordered this laptop for my wife for xmas. It is going back after two days of light use. Take the warning that there are WiFi issues seriously. Amazon must have a bulk hold on the older models that still have this issue. Do yourself a favor and get something else.

2.0 out of 5 stars Stay Away, December 23, 2012
The first laptop I received was obviously defected. The bezel around the screen was unattached and the wireless card refused to work at all.

The replacement got off to a better start, however things ultimately ended up in a return and a refund. The body of the laptop is okay. Metal bottom and lid but the inside is plastic. The screen brightness is very low even at max settings and the colors are extremely washed out.

The deciding factor in returning the laptop came down to the wireless card. It just doesn't work correctly. I re installed windows, updated the drivers, upgraded to Windows 8 but nothing helped. It had problems connecting and when it did connect my speeds were horrible.

There are much better alternatives out there for your money. It's a shame, Lenovo used to be my go-to brand.

Do yourself a favor and spend a little bit more for an HP or even a DELL (can't believe I just recommended a Dell laptop).

4.0 out of 5 stars it is just great. the wifi problem is fixed now, September 6, 2012
I wasnt expect the building quality is so wonderful, very cool very solid!

but the battery life is not that great. It is advertised as 7h which is not quite possible.
under normal usage of wifi and multimedia, I got about 4h battery life.

1.0 out of 5 stars No wifi, October 5, 2013
Wifi does not work ... period. What else is there to say? Lenovo should reimburse all purchasers of this flawed product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not purchase, August 25, 2013
Without a doubt the worst wifi connectivity of any laptop on the market. Looks beautiful; but without reliable wifi what good is it?

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away, October 7, 2012
The following is my post at the Lenovo forum.

My experience with U310 (India, build May'12)

The beginning:
My late evening purchase of U310 was eventful. I'd planned to get a MacBook Air 13" (MBA). But certain reservations about MBA, opportunity to save some bucks & the dark impulse to buy resulted in a predicament.

The conflict:
Same night, as I opened the lid of my new laptop, I could smell -- as everybody here knows -- WiFi issues. Within minutes I was on this thread -- on my desktop -- and my 'experience' of purchase was polluted with regret, fear and disappointment. I stayed up almost the entire night, and my hunt continued in the morning -- I took leave from my work. Threads/experiences confirmed my fear. I owned a defective box.

Suddenly, I could notice other issues with the laptop -- flexing of keyboard, the extremely light keys (which leaves one with a feeling of poor material quality), frequent undesired outputs of trackpad. The overall experience was -- simply -- sad.

The resolution:

I took a suggestion on a thread on Lenovo forum quite seriously -- 'return your laptop'. Most impactful was the article by a 'Bastler' (Second from top, Link: [...]. I am extremely grateful for the active members of the thread.

So, on the next evening of purchase, I went to the retailer and -- after 3-4 hours of persuassion -- finally convinced him for an exchange with another laptop. Those from India may understand the struggle.

After enough research I finally set my mind on MacBook Pro 13" -- of course at a premium. I got it within a week.

The experience of my first Mac was, again simply, awesome. The build quality, the trackpad, the design and almost everything is just wonderful -- and a lot better than U310. Macbook is an experience.

The ouput:
Every company has problems. Macbooks have their own history of hard drive failures. New OS X update (Apple) for Macs has -- and had -- serious battery, WiFi problems. As per users (apple forum), some of those issues still exist after years. I think 'issues' shall always exist. It , now, depends on what and how much can you tolerate. I've had Thinkpad R410 -- and I had loved it. The U310 experience was a disaster nullified by a great experience of a MacBook.

Do your research -- I tell myself -- before an expensive decision.

PS. I want to thank all the users -- vicitims, should I say? -- to highlight this issue.

Regards
Vikram

1.0 out of 5 stars keep searching, November 16, 2013
Keyboard was unresponsive on the refurbished model I tested but at least the wifi issue seemed to be fixed. Also it's bulky compared to options in the same price range.

2.0 out of 5 stars Believe the reviews on poor wifi, June 17, 2013
I've had to return two of these Lenovo U310's manufactured prior to the wifi reception fix. The reception drops off very quickly as you move away from the router, when compared to other properly functioning laptops. Otherwise, a pretty sharp computer.

4.0 out of 5 stars I installed hackintosh on it and works well, April 4, 2013
Everything seems ok. Only two problems are:
i)I dont like the integrated graphic card
ii)The noise of the fan.
But overall, this little machine is above average for sure. I really like it.

Rate and Discover Movies