5.0 out of 5 stars Has the speed I need with capacity.
I bought the U410 because it had the best price for an ultrabook with the speed my work requires. The key is the hybrid hard-drive. It has a 32G solid state drive (SSD) and a large traditional drive givin speedy computing experience and capacity. The hybrid works as well as having only a solid state drive but this allows capacity not available in solid state HDs...
Published on July 23, 2012 by WJC

1.0 out of 5 stars Wi-Fi issue is unresolved as of November 2012.
Right out of the box (November 8, 2012) the Wi-Fi speed of my Ideapad U410 was ridiculously low compared to my other laptop, which was sitting right next to it.

I ran three speedtests:

Ideapad U410 - Download Speed: 1.50Mbps, Upload Speed: 13.29Mbps

Acer Aspire 5740 - Download Speed: 51.29Mbps, Upload Speed: 45.01Mbps

I couldn't...
Published 21 months ago by Nennena

5.0 out of 5 stars Has the speed I need with capacity., July 23, 2012
WJC (Albuquerque, NM USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad U410 43762BU 14-Inch Ultrabook (1.7GHz Intel Core i5-3317U Processor, 8GB DDR3, 750GB HDD, 32GB SSD, NVIDIA Geforce GT 610M 1GB DDR3, Windows 7 Home Premium) Graphite Gray (Personal Computers)

The keyboard is good, typical Lenovo. The keys are flat chicklet style. Back lighting is not possible at this price point. I use a LED laptop keyboard light that is USB powered and works better than back-lit keys.

Ultrabooks do not have an optical drive so you need an accessory drive to install new software from DVD. There is no numbers keypad; that is easy to give up in exchange for being much easier to carry.

Be sure you are getting the 3rd generation Intel CPU. Ads are confusing at the moment and you can get 2nd generation and a non-hybrid hard-drive if not careful. In Lenovo series, look for "Prime" in its model name.

Along with the third generation chip, the subsystems in the U410 are quick. The RAM is more than adequate for business use; it may be fine for gaming but I don't know.

I am pleased and can recommend this laptop atLenovo IdeaPad U410 43762BU 14-Inch Laptop (Graphite Gray) $900.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the laptop; experimented on how to get passed design flaw on WIFI, December 3, 2012
J. Woodward (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
Hi everyone, I have had this beautiful laptop (ruby red) for a week now. It is a quality built laptop (made of aluminum alloy) and is often compared to the mac due to its quality build. It has windows 8 which I am getting used to (coming from Windows Vista). I love the 3.0 USBs X2. You do not know how important having those is, especially when I am transferring data constantly for homework and projects for engineering. Extremely lightweight and portable which is important for me since I am moving between classes and carrying this on my backpack all day- need something light. No "optical" drive, or CD ROM drive for playing movies/cd's/etc- know that when you are buying this since it is for making it lighter weight; one can work around this by burning the CD on another laptop and transferring via USB OR by buying an external CD ROM. I might need to purchase an external CD ROM since I desire to download photoshop... and there are 8 CD's. Good to know and be informed as you are deciding..

But, there is a design flaw in terms of the wi-fi. I was aware of an extremely common wi-fi issue coming from Lenova U series (includes this U410 and U310). People would complain that they have either 1) a disconnecting wi-fi internet problem 2) low signals until very close to wi-fi access.

My theory is that since the casing of the laptop is almost 100% thin aluminum, the metal casing is reducing the wi-fi strength. In other words, the wi-fi adaptor is like your cell phone trying to text inside a metal elevator casing- reducing the signal or losing it frequently like when you go through a tunnel. Maybe the design flaw is because they are almost mimicking the mac's metal chassis and they failed mimicking on one key part... like allowing an opening for the wi-fi antenna....

Regardless- My love for this laptop will outweigh returning the laptop- for now- as I am currently purchasing an external wi-fi antenna USB. An antenna will test my hypothesis of whether it is the whole casing, which is the design flaw, or if the brand new network adaptor sucks (unlikely but possible).

Keep you posted.

Edit: 12/6/2012
Design flaw averted by simply adding on cheap external wifi adapter. Acts like an antenna to get better signals than many laptops. Yay!
I bought a CISCO Lynksis external wi-fi adapter for $49.99- even though on best buy I saw it for half off. I needed internet ASAP, so I went for it (I can always order the cheaper version, then return with receipt for the current to save 25$ once it arrives)- it works! I can even access my n network now. My download speed went from 0MB to 8.6MB; Upload speed from 0MB to 3.6MB on [...]

I tentatively recommend getting this laptop and investing in a $10-50 external wifi.

Edit: 8/15/2013
DO NOT GET A CISCO Lynksis external wi-fi adapter! Its long extension broke. Here is my review link:

I recommend a shorter, cheaper external wifi adapter. Size matters.

Otherwise, I am typing on the U410 right now and it is great. Depending on how I am sitting, the abrupt edge can cut uncomfortably into my wrists. The keys are still intact. Sound is a little strange occasionally? Like when I am watching a show voices will 1% of the time sound gargled like listening submerged in an electronic pool. Maybe it's just a software driver issue? My laptop can handle most games I play with my brother. It can also handle engineering software well, especially 3D rendering. I love watching how crisp transitions are between switching views. I could care less about Windows 8, since I normally go to Windows 7 mode (go to desktop). Don't get suckered into Windows 8 UNLESS you intend on getting Office 2013 and/or get a touch screen.

I hope this was helpful!

1.0 out of 5 stars Wi-Fi issue is unresolved as of November 2012., November 15, 2012

I ran three speedtests:

Ideapad U410 - Download Speed: 1.50Mbps, Upload Speed: 13.29Mbps

Acer Aspire 5740 - Download Speed: 51.29Mbps, Upload Speed: 45.01Mbps

I couldn't even watch a YouTube video without it stopping every 5 seconds for several minutes. Insane!

Updating the Wi-Fi drivers did not solve the problem.

FYI, the Lenovo support forum has a 57-page thread about this Wi-Fi issue, which Lenovo still does not acknowledge.
[...]

I would strongly recommend NOT purchasing this item because it comes with this serious flaw.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic Ultrabook., July 18, 2012
David Allison (Lynchburg, Va, US) - See all my reviews
I needed a solid upgrade from my EeePC (what a terrible computer). Typing on the u410 is a dream. The screen isn't the highest quality I've ever seen, but one of the best for the price point. YouTube, Hulu and Netflix look great. Stupid fast boot time. All in all, I was leaning heavily on the MacBook Pro. I swore to myself a little while ago that my next computer would be a mac. However, the specs on this Ultrabook blow my friends with their macbooks out of the water. A backlit keyboard would have put this at 5 stars for me. Other than that... purely lovely.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay AWAY!, October 7, 2012
If you are doing your research before buying a new ultrabook, be advised that this particular model, as well as the U310 from Lenovo, both have MAJOR wifi issues. The problem is so bad that even Lenovo doesn't know what to do. Just read the forums and you will find people all over the globe sending their machines for over 3 different times with no successful fix!

The internet at my place is a 10mb plan and works well on all others computers and smartphones I have, however, my U410 shows onl 0.3-0.4mb download speeds even if I'm right close to my router!! That is unacceptable! Lenovo says it's a hardware issuae, but how does that work if they can't fix the problems themself?? This company has scre*&^% over so many customers that I don't understand how they are still in business selling this notebook everywhere!

Another big issue I have is with the battery. Do not fool yourself into thinking you've got an 8 hour battery that is supposed to last a full day at the office.... hahahaha it's more like 3.5-4 hours at the max on balanced mode! Plus, this unit does'nt have a backlit keyboard, the screen resolutions is a joke at 1366x768, it's thicker than the pictures illustrate and a little too heavy for a 14" ultrabook.

The only pros I find is the processor and the HD4000 graphics which is just as good as the also installed Geforce 610m... yes, go read the reviews on this old video card and see it for yourself what kind of hardware they are pushing to us.

This is the most valuable piece of info you may find online:

[...]

I wish I read that before buying this notebook.
PS: No, all U410/U310 manufactured after 7/23/2012 STILL have the same wifi issue, do not trust the administrators from Lenovo! Would you buy a computer from a company which allegedly sells faulty items and just ignores customers when they ask for help in the forums??

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop For The Price, July 18, 2012
Great laptop for the price. The computer looks really sleek and is sturdy. There is no backlight bleed on this at all, the display is very nice, and the sound is pretty good for a laptop. I had terrible backlight bleed on the new Zenbook Prime and 2012 Macbook pro. I installed the programs I normally use to see how it runs (office, photoshop, starcraft 2) and it runs really well. The start up time is fairly quick.

Cons:
No back light keyboard which I don't really need, I know where the keys are. It's going to be extremely hard to upgrade in the future but I can live past it for the time being (until SSD prices fall) with the factory 8gb of ram and 32gb ssd cache. Runs somewhat warm. There is keyboard flex which isn't noticeable unless I stare at it and press down hard.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy option -- Just get it, October 10, 2012
I had purchased this product from the Lenovo website. It is just working perfect. I had customized it - when I bought ; with I7 processor and 1Tb HDD and bla bla bla. I wanted a powerful computer and I found lenovo worthy (affordability vs features). I just paid $800+ .
I also want to say that the view angle is good. You can see clearly from nearly any angle (of course just don't go behind the laptop) provided you are working in full brightness. Another important point about this ultra-book is its battery life. It is amazing. I nearly use it for 5-6 hours each day without charging.
I removed 1 star because of its heating problem. It heats up ---- little quickly; I am not sure but it may be because I don't normally shut it down before continuously running it for 10-15 hours.

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing a lot of advertised features, August 6, 2012
Well, all I can say is, confirm with the manufacturer EXACTLY what you order. I saw advertised on several websites that this laptop came with bluetooth.... and it doesn't. So the bluetooth mouse I ordered from Lenovo will have to wait. I am really disappointed and feel pretty stupid for buying a brand new laptop in 2012 that is not equipped with Bluetooth. That should be standard. Here's a discussion about this issue: [...]

Also, the case does not have a place for a laptop security lock. Since I take my laptop everywhere with me, this is a big problem for me. This was also listed on a website I saw advertising this laptop (pcrush.com).

I got the blue finish, and it is simply beautiful. This is definitely one of the best looking laptops, with a very comfortable keyboard. I think even if I had known there wouldn't be bluetooth, I probably would have still bought this laptop. The case is so lightweight and compact, it is one of the most portable laptops I have ever seen. Lenovo really outdid themselves with the design. The laptop size is great. It is listed as 14" screen, but has the same dimensions as the 13.3" macbook pro. It was hard to find a sleeve for it though. The 14" sleeves are way too big, but the zippered macbook 13.3" sleeves just BARELY can't zip shut.

Sadly, the battery life is greatly exaggerated. The website says "up to 9 hours." They should have said, Gaussian distribution centered at 4 hours, sigma = 2 hours. Sure, possibility to somehow get 9 hours, but e Withinven when I dim the display all the way and turn off all my applications, estimated time remaining with 100% battery is 4 hours 10 minutes.

I really like the power chord for this laptop. It is really small and the chords are thinner than my previous laptops. I don't think this cable has as great a chance to tear or split as my old chord.

Oh and lastly, if you order your laptop from the Lenovo website, expect to wait at least 6 weeks for it. I ordered it June 23, estimated delivery July 6. Within a day of me placing the order, the expected delivery was changed to August 2nd. So... I waited an extra month for the laptop. I've heard of this problem from several other friends who ultimately canceled their order for other Lenovo products. I would try to buy it in store if possible, even if you can't get the color you want.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Laptop, no WiFi issue, I am a happy camper!!, December 4, 2012
Bought for my 6-grader as a Christmas gift. The potential wifi issue almost kept me away from this nice Ultrabook, but decided to give it a try given vendor's (Costco) return policy. Glad I did... almost bought from Amazon, but got a decent Costco deal after Cyber Monday.

My copy of U410 was made on September 23, even though many buyers with later manufactured U310/U410 have WiFi issue. My router is pretty up-to-date, a Netgear N900 Dual Band. Not sure if that plays a role or not. Had the new U410 set side by side with my MacBook Pro (an older i7 version, late 2011 model), signal strengths are about the same. Used Speedtest.net to test WiFi speed, and the results are very similar to the Macbook (10ms ping, 18.5 mbps upload, and 2.1 mbps download).

I would recommend anyone interested in U410 or U310 to give it a try. The WiFi problem might have been overblown. My U410 has the Intel Centrino N2200 NIC card installed. Driver version is 15.5.0.42, 8/7/2012, if you are curious.

1.0 out of 5 stars The product was out of warranty, October 16, 2013
The laptop which i bought worked fine for a month. After that a vertical green line came up on the screen and it was an LCD defect. I checked the warranty on lenovo site and found to my astonishment that the warranty had expired. The seller had sold me a laptop which was 1yr old.So please do not buy product from this seller. I was cheated by the seller as now I have to pay to get it repaired though my laptop is just 3 months old.

Rate and Discover Movies