Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Storm Fire TV Stick Grocery Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day

on December 30, 2012
Overall, this is a decent computer for the money as long as you don't mess with it. If you want to add a discrete graphics card upgrade or other upgrades then that's when the problems start. Lenovo has grossly under-spec'd the power supply in this line of computers. It's adequate if you leave the computer as-is, but the power supply will be the first thing that has to be replaced if you want to add a mid-range graphics card. Lenovo would be much better off if they didn't try to emulate Sony when it comes to PC products.

I'm still trying to update the BIOS to fix an issue with this computer not supporting standby sleep modes. Lenovo has an updater, but it runs only on 32-bit Windows. Why? Any computer with more than 4GB of memory (which is most) needs 64-bit Windows.

Update: I did manage to install a discrete graphics card (it has a PCIe slot) along with a bigger power supply and all seems to be working. There are still some sleep mode problems that Lenovo will hopefully fix with a future BIOS update.

Update2 (March 2013): OK, well I'm not all that pleased with Lenovo support. I have been trying to get a BIOS update to resolve a sleep/standby issue and have been unsuccessful. Lenovo support finally admitted that the BIOS on their support site is only for an H430 that shipped with Windows 7. If you did manage to flash that BIOS on your Win8 system then you were probably left with an over-sized door stop. I know that there's a later BIOS being shipped for Windows 8 (ESKT20A), but they have not posted it on their support site.

I stand by my original statement that this computer is just "OK" as long as you don't want to enhance it. It's not a computer for someone who knows how to build their own computers. Lenovo uses their own re-branded and modified motherboards so you're entirely at Lenovo's mercy and lose the ability to find usable updates from component OEM sources.

Signed: Sleepless in PA
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 4, 2012
This product was on sale at staples during black Friday for $450. The computer comes with windows 8 which isn't that bad. It also comes with a lot of useless bloatware (I love Lenovo). There is a cheap keyboard and mouse that also comes along (the mouse is pretty good for my needs). The first thing I did was order a graphics card and it recognized it right away. This computer is very fast and meets all my needs and streams 1080p even with integrated graphics.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 5, 2014
The machine has slots for extra devices like a PCI-E card, but the power supply doesn't have enough capacity for even the most power efficient card. I tried to run the EVGA GeForce 210 in this machine and the screen froze for lack of amps. This card has the lowest power requirement of any DVI card. So the machine might as well not have a PCI-E slot at all. I also tried replacing the power supply with a standard ATX PSU, but it did not fit because the case has these ridiculous form-fitting things that only allow the Lenovo PSU to be installed. Perhaps there is a way to upgrade the power supply from Lenovo--but they can definitely forget about getting a dime out of me! This machine is a SCAM.
on July 23, 2013
I usually assemble my computers. This is the first store bought computer I've purchased in maybe 15 years so I don't know what to expect in the way of typical quality and features. They may all be like this, but it's a cheesy computer. They skimped on everything. It only has a 250 watt power supply. I haven't had that underrated a power supply since maybe the 1990's if you load it down with a decent video card and several USB devices I have to wonder if it can deliver. The onboard video does not support digital video, only analog. It doesn't have several motherboard features like support for extra memory, support for ATA drives, support for more than one extra SATA drive, no USB 3, no serial ports, etc. I could go on, but I should get to my experience with it.

This computer was delivered on a Friday, and I began hooking it up on Saturday. The USB ports immediately began bing-bonging like they do on Windows 8 when you connect and disconnect them. Ignoring that I finished connecting everything but the bing-bonging would happen randomly even when I wasn't touching anything on or at the computer -- sometimes this was accompanied by either the mouse or the keyboard quitting working and throwing up USB error messages. A little investigation showed if I just touched one of the USB connectors it would make the sound and maybe one of the devices would stop working.

A brand new computer and it doesn't work right -- swell.

I called Lenovo support Monday morning. They were very polite, seemed concerned, and I could understand them on the phone. (NOTE: Except for my next to last conversation, which I describe below, they were good to deal with on the phone and seemed to want to be helpful.) They said the motherboard needed to be replaced. They said someone would be out between 3pm and 5pm on Wednesday. Someone from their local repair called on Wednesday to say a repair tech would be out Thursday between 1pm and 3pm. Thursday morning someone called to say they couldn't make it and the tech would be out between 9am and 11am Friday. The tech called about 9:30 and explained he had just been assigned the job and was on the far side of Houston, had calls to make and had to pick up the part, but would try to be at my house by 11am. He showed up at about 11:30. He began by pointing at my Belkin USB hub, which has worked flawlessly for about seven years, and started criticizing USB hubs suggesting it might be the problem. At this point he discovered he had the wrong part. He said someone would come Monday (apparently their company doesn't work on weekends). Monday near noon another tech called and said he would be at my house between 2pm and 4pm. He arrived promptly at 2. He swapped out the motherboard and I immediately noticed the bing-bonging began when he inserted the USB connectors just as they did with me when I set the machine up originally. The problem is erratic/intermittent, so my heart sank, figuring he would assume it was fixed and leave, so I showed him that if you just barely touch the USB connectors they would start bonging. He said, "You mustn't touch USB connectors, even lightly, they become unpredictable." It's funny I'd never noticed this before in the ten years I've been using USB devices. But, to what I thought was my great good fortune, the keyboard stopped working while he was standing there and he witnessed the intermittent bing-bonging when I wasn't touching anything. I was almost joyous he got to witness what he had had to take my word for up 'til now. At this point, because it happened to be the keyboard this time, he began criticizing my keyboard calling it nonstandard assuming, I guess, my explaining it happened with the mouse too was false because he had only seen the keyboard do it.

I asked him to call Lenovo and explain that, even after changing the motherboard, he had witnessed the very problem I had reported. He did so, but emphasized I had a "nonstandard" keyboard.

Their Headquarters person argued it was a compatibility problem with my mouse and my keyboard (which I've been using with my Win7 computer with no problems for five years). I have a ordinary Microsoft optical mouse 1000 and the HQ person said only THEIR mouse would work with their computer. So, if you buy a Lenovo computer, plan to use their and only their mouse and pitch the computer when it fails (of course this isn't really true because it isn't the problem). I do have an older keyboard, but I explained the problem had begun happening while I was still using their keyboard, before mine was hooked up, she continued to focus on the keyboard and kept making up reasons why my "nonstandard" keyboard wouldn't work with their computer. I finally saw discussion was hopeless and hung up, explaining to the tech since he had no more constructive suggestions he could leave.

Later I swapped their DVD RW for my Sony Optiarc AD-7200S. It made the Sony DVD run unbelievably slow. Lenovo says there's an incompatibility issue with my Sony drive.

This makes my keyboard that (I've used with three other computers), my standard Microsoft mouse and my regular Sony DVD drive incompatible with Lenovo's computer.

There are four SATA ports on the motherboard. One of them is dark ( black/brown?), the other three are orange. Their hard disk and DVD drive are connected to two of the orange ports. When I installed a second hard drive I hooked it to the dark port. It wouldn't work until I moved it to the one remaining orange port.

I called Lenovo support and again they were very pleasant, but said they don't know what the dark port is for and have no way to find out. Apparently they have no way to elevate a problem above the telephone support level.

An information screen that appears at the beginning of bootup says "Error:00CE Machine Type and serial # are invalid" The tech support person said this cannot be fixed in the field, I must send this brand new computer to them to get it corrected. I don't know what happened to the phone-self help or onsite repair that was promised.

In summary, with the exception of the Lenovo rep I spoke to when the repair person was at my house, everyone a Lenovo was very good to deal with on the phone. I'm using the computer, but I haven't figured out what I'm going to do yet and I sorely regret buying this computer.

February 2015 update: I still have it and I hate it.
on February 6, 2013
I had my H430 for a week, during which time it would repeatedly lose the registry entry for the DVD ROM, which necessitated a total reload of the operating system 4 times along with all my apps and documents. Lenovo customer service blamed it on me. Also, my external hard drive would sporadically become unavailable. After the fourth time, I called the retailer and they allowed me to send it back.

And don't try to install a video card in order to run two monitors. I went through 2 cards, was told by Lenovo it wasn't their problem, that the card would work in the computer but it didn't. I then called the card manufacturer and they informed that their cards wouldn't work with this model.

I've wasted days and hours loading, reloading, configuring and reconfiguring. Good riddance. I will never purchase another Lenovo product.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2013
First of all, I want to note that this computer is extremely sketchy. I've had two of these, an both of them have had problems with either the OS, or the ram not functioning properly. The components are all proprietary, which keeps you from being able to upgrade anything unless you completely replace the motherboard and or power supply. It runs very slow despite the fact that it runs an Intel core i5 3330 CPU. I guess it's a good pc if you want something for basic productivity. But as for anything that might stress it just a little bit, it's gonna slow down significantly. Plus the ram is garbage, only running at 1333mhz.
on June 9, 2014
I bought this refurbished directly from Lenovo. It worked fine, but after 10-11 months, the desktop basically died (lost power) while in use.

Then I had to deal with the so-called Lenovo Customer Service, which meant talking to people in the Philippines who give you variety of promises that "somebody will call within ___ business days" or even set up specific times someone will presumably call (or email if they can't reach you). Of course, no one ever calls or contacts you. They want you and your warranty to "go away".

It's been 4-5 weeks since the H430 died and after 1-2 hours on the phone with the Philippines I've gotten nothing except excuses and lies and "escalated tickets" (which they later could not find) from these people. Thanks, but with this type of dishonest runaround behavior from the company I want no more Lenovo products for me and my family or friends!
on March 7, 2013
Looking for a good computer with most of the features that make a good basic desktop system, this Lenovo fits the bill. Windows 8 64 bit OS, Intel core i5 processor 3rd generation, 8 GB DDR3 memory, DVD Reader/Writer optical drive, 1 TB 7200rpm HDD, HDMI out, Card Reader 6 in 1. One thing to state is that this unit is (obviously) not a Game Machine ( of course the price alone should give this away). So for the price you'll get a decent computer from a well known company. Mine is paired with a Dell 21.5" HD monitor.
on February 21, 2013
So far the computer has lived up to expectations. Clean design. Only had it 2 months so far but no issues.
Navigating Windows 8 was more of a challenge till learned than assembling the Lenovo itself.
Too early to tell if I would recommend it yet but working well at this point.
on January 21, 2013
The computer is fast. I really like it. Lenovo put an app on it that makes it look sort of like traditional Windows. The operating system, Windows 8, is horrible! Finding anything is next to impossible. I honestly cannot stand Windows 8, but I don't know what to do. I am not a novice at computers.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...