5.0 out of 5 stars Great product
Published on July 20, 2008 by Carlos Aguirre

2.0 out of 5 stars proprietary Laptop
Published on November 30, 2009 by Mr. Santhanam S. Kumar

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, July 20, 2008
This review is from: Lenovo 59012696 IdeaPad Y510-1 15.4" Notebook (Personal Computers)
This lenovo pc its great, it has a lot of features wich include a megapixel camera wieth face recognition software dolby home theater great wich bring great sound and bass ( it has a subwoofer)for a laptop. Im so in love with this computer it works just fine. the design is awesome and unique the cover texture wont leave any figer prints it feels and looks awesome. for your everyday work its a wonderfull computer it might not be the latest pc for gaming but it does come with a lot under the hood. great value great price and it just looks awesome highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars proprietary Laptop, November 30, 2009
Keyboard keys are in weird places. Fn key is in where usually ctl key is. Eventhough it has a full size keyboard you have to use function key to type certain commonly used keys like home, end which is very annoying. I find typing with this laptop very hard. Finally you cannot upgrade any component other than memory in this laptop. Mine came with Intel 3945ABG wifi and want to replace with 4965AGN card found a good deal over the internet. After the upgrade the laptop BIOS catchup saying non lenovo item found and wont boot at all. Moreover lenovo is not selling this card and lenovo branded card cost you a fortune. If this laptop is not under warranty anything happens to it forget it you have to throw it out. My Dell laptop few things went wrong after warranty I replaced the components with bargain price and this I have to trash if I have any problem. I already replaced keyboard under warrany and the cusomer service insisted me to send the laptop and they will do a through diagnostics that it is not my problem only then they will replace. I don't recommend this laptop and it is good only if you have warranty and definetly not worth for money. Lenovo will lose customers to their competetors until they change their proprietary mentality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dependable Laptop - It's actually upgradeable!, December 3, 2011
Andrew (Thousand Oaks, US, Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this laptop in 2008 knowing that I would use it for an engineering program at school. It did and excellent job and helped get me through my degree. In 2010 I upgraded the memory and processor in it to use as a gaming system, as well as updating the OS to Win7. I was impressed to find that the motherboard inside would support an 800MHz bus speed, as opposed to the 667MHz bus speed that the laptop uses natively. All the upgrades went off without a hitch. Most people wind up buying a new laptop rather than trying to upgrade the old one, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I had some great upgrade options to help give this laptop a significant performance boost. After the upgrades, I continued to use it as a desktop replacement and it has been excellent the whole time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice product, very cool, June 8, 2009
I didn't buy through amazon, but directly from lenovo web. It is the coolest notebook I ever had.
Pros:
1. The design is very cool, the face recognize feature, sound system, touch control key for volume, apps etc.
2. The battery last more than 5 hours, and it not hot at all and not much of noise.
3. The rich interface available, SATA, HDMI, Card reader....

Conn:
1.The wireless control program not compatibly with my linksys wireless router, have to uninstall it.
2. The multi-touch touch pad is not sensitive as my Iphone.

Overall, very impressive notebook, I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dependable laptop, March 26, 2013
I used this daily for four years, and had no problems with it-- at all.
I never had any issues with the hinges, or keys. I have to wonder what people do to their laptops to have so many issues. It is true that I didn't carry it around a whole lot though.
The webcam works great, and comes with easy software. The wireless was quick and powerful. I liked the big orange volume control switch. I had zero problems with the hard disk or OS... zero. No bad sectors, almost never crashed... no freezing or other weirdness. I'd buy another Lenovo.

2.0 out of 5 stars Plastic, plastic, plastic, September 25, 2011
CMS (Ann Arbor) - See all my reviews
I bought a Lenovo Y510 Thinkpad three years ago. As I type one screen hinge is completely broken which has caused the entire screen hinge to separate from the screen. The keyboard is coming apart bit by bit and I have no A key. My hubby warned me about buying a plastic unit but I am quite careful with my equipment so I thought I would have no problem. The repair shop is unable to obtain parts in US so the expense, and time, to get parts from China is both unacceptable and expensive (~$350). The effectiveness of the unit, i.e. performance, ease of use, clarity of screen,etc. is good but heck, if I can't open and close the laptop screen then the other parts mean nothing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad design from Lenovo, December 13, 2010
This laptop moel Y510 has a hinge design problem. This will break quite frequently and the Lenovo customer support will not take care of their problem.
In my case, the hinge attaching the screen to the base was broken during 1st year of warranty and they repaied this free under warranty.
Same thing broke again after warranty. This expalins that there is a design problem and they replaced the hinge without addressing the original problem.
Now they want me to pay for this repair which is their design problem.
I aksed if I pay this time, will they gurantee that hinge will no break again.
They will not do that.
Lenovo is pushing bad products to get the customer stuck with this.
In last 15 years, I never heared about hinge breaking on laptop from anyone.
I rarely use this laptop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, July 31, 2008
Actually bought this computer from office depot. Unfortunately, the computer performs a random memory dump (with a blue screen) every so often. After calling in twice, I sent it back to Lenovo, but they were unable to reproduce the problem and returned it to me with the hard drive reimaged. They were not able to diagnose or fix the problem and I am stuck with an unreliable system. I do not recommend this computer.

Lenovo 59012696 IdeaPad Y510-1 15.4" Notebook