Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on January 21, 2013
Bought this just before Christmas. It arrived right before New Year's. I started moving my files off my external hard drive to the Lenovo and foolishly thought I was back in business. Wrong. Here are all the problems I confronted in the last 3 weeks. Note that some can be fixed, some can be fixed but instantly revert to how they were before, and some can't be fixed at all.

1) The wifi is shaky. It will connect to some networks, not to others. The computer will slow then halt, and you can't access anything. Rebooting doesn't work and it has nothing to do with resetting the wireless router.

2) The computer crashes in sleep mode. I'm used to being able to have some documents open, close the screen, open it either 5 minutes or 5 hours later and have my documents all there again. It's fine for a few minutes, but anything longer and it crashes. It's hard to tell when this happens since Windows 8 boots so quickly, I'm not sure if the crash is happening on the restart or during sleep, but regardless, it crashes and you have to restore all your work. Lenovo support walked me through a "fix" for this, but it didn't work. In fact, none of their attempts to fix this worked. When you go to your power profile and select "what computer does when I shut lid" as sleep mode, it still crashes. Lenovo support's great idea was to change it to say "do nothing." Well, then it drains the battery down just as fast when it's closed as if you were working on it. I changed it to hibernate, which worked for 2 days, then it started resetting itself backward to "do nothing."

3) The battery indicator cannot be shut off. I first tried to shut off the low battery indicators in the sound profile, that didn't work. I disabled all sound, and that didn't work. I have to mute all sound which does work, but then you can't listen to music at the same time. It's aggravating that at 10%, your computer will loudly beep every 5 seconds and you can't stop it.

4) The media card reader won't read my SD card. Lenovo support had me reinstall drivers, still won't work. They told me I need to connect with a USB cable and I said this is brand new - it should work the way it was intended. They said to send it back to them for a factory reset. Three weeks old and this hunk of junk needs a factory reset? Awesome.

5) Every hour the computer tells me that it's running low on memory and I need to reboot. This is fantastic news isn't it?

6) The keyboard is shaky at best. If you know how to type, you'll be shocked that your fingers keep hitting the wrong keys. There's some give in the whole keyboard that makes it feel like it can easily break. In fact, when I pulled this out of the box, the keyboard shell was actually outside of the computer. I had to snap it back in.

7) Why why why did these idiots mess with the function keys? I had to access the BIOS profile (boot up, hit FN F2) and change the hotkeys to legacy mode. I've worked in Excel for years, and F2 allows you to edit inside a cell. But no, Lenovo had to make F2 the volume key.

I did manage to fix some Windows 8 issues - added a shutdown key and modified the registry to get rid of the annoying lock screen because it would hijack a couple letters of your password so you'd get the "wrong password" message every time you logged in. But those two fixes weren't enough to console me through the rest of the drama.
55 comments38 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 19, 2013
There seems to be a known issue with the touchpad of the U510. Google search query "lenovo jumpy and laggy touchpad" for literally PAGES of complaints. Avoid this model, and potentially the entire U510 series. Below is one excerpt:

"After calling Lenovo about the jumpy mouse experience on the first U510 they sent me, they said they would ship me out another laptop as a replacement.

The new machine arrived, and I took it out of the package and turned it on. As it booted for the first time, I was presented with the standard Lenovo "click Accept" screen (so I could create my Windows 8 account, etc.). I touched the touchpad for the first time to try to click `Accept', and the mouse jumped all over the screen! I couldn't even click the very first button to allow the computer to continue setting up! The replacement exhibited all of the same issues as the first laptop!

So I continue working with it. I tried adjusting all of the sensitivities related to the touchpad, but to no avail. I called my wife over, and we stood back and watched the mouse jitter randomly all over the desktop, find its way to a program icon, open the program, and then drag part of the screen to resize the application. ALL. WITHOUT. BEING. TOUCHED.

We now have TWO laptops sitting on our table, each with the mouse jittering away - completely unusable as-is. I have a backup corded USB mouse that I am using in the meantime, and the only way I can prevent the machine from randomly clicking and dragging things across the screen is by physically disabling the touchpad using the F-keys.

And I tried everything to fix it: uninstalling the drivers. Reinstalling the drivers. Trying the drivers from ELAN, as well as Synaptics. I tried working with the Device Manager, and with other Windows 8 settings. No solution.

I have to send the first one back, and the second one will follow.

Lenovo, what are you going to do to fix this? I have been a loyal customer for years, and my confidence in your products is severely shaken. When I called the customer service representative the first time, I specifically asked: "Is this problem typical for this model" and I was told "No". Two unusable laptops in a row, now. And as the second one was on its way to me, I was shopping around for other laptops on your website (Y- and Z-series)... but I refuse to get ANYTHING from Lenovo since they all seem to list "standard trackpad" as the mouse input.

Unbelievable. What will you do to salvage your reputation? Unless something is done, and quickly, I cannot vouch for your products to my friends or family ever again."
22 comments20 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2012
After a month, I thought I fixed it with Lenovo support, but the laptop's wireless adapter stops functioning occasionally after being asleep or off. The only way to fix this issue was to restart the computer, hoping that it would function correctly upon restart--and sometimes it wouldn't. Another issue was that the laptop would shut down instead of go to sleep upon closing the lid (even though the settings were not set to do that). I thought I solved this issue by installing Lenovo drivers and windows updates, but it turns out that wasn't the case. Finally, the brightness indicator did not function correctly--leaving the brightness fully lit when the indicator showed it at half, etc.

Overall, I had purchased this laptop and then exchanged it for a new one when I ran into issues with the first. Turns out, it seems that every one of the laptops have issues like this. In the end, I decided to return and go with a different brand that I've used in the past that I believe is more reliable. Once Lenovo can start proving their consumer lines like they can with the ThinkPad, then maybe I'll pay attention. Until then, consider me a non Lenovo-fanboy.
22 comments14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2012
I got this product because I was looking for a thin laptop with good capabilities. I especially liked the fact that this laptop looked like a mac without the expensive price. However, I got home and whenever you shut off the laptop the wireless disconnects and it doesn't recognize any wireless networks unless you are within a few feet away from your router. Apparently this is a defect that these laptops have and I am not the only one with this problem. Other than that this laptop is ok. I did notice that the picture quality is just okay and its very pixelated.

The bottom line is that I wouldn't recommend this laptop to anyone unless you are going to be using it within a few feet from the router.
11 comment11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2013
I will say I enjoyed the laptop while it worked. The form factor was nice, has a lot of features packed into it for the size, love Windows 8. This laptop was more than enough for what I wanted it for. However, after 2 weeks of use, it began freezing and locking up. Seemed like a hardware issue (I am an IT Guy), but I restored Windows just to make sure. Could not completely recover, so I called Lenovo, they couldn't fix it either. Seems to me that the system board is dead, the Lenovo tech thought it was the hard drive. Either way, it got sent back and I bought a different laptop. I hate to write a negative review about Lenovo as I love there products (writing this review from my Lenovo W520, which is an absolute workhorse), but even the techs at Lenovo seemed pretty sketched out by this model.

My advice is to avoid the u series Idea Pad. Pony up a few extra bucks and get a ThinkPad or a Yoga.
on January 13, 2013
I received the item way before Christmas, even though the estimated shipping date was supposed to be after Christmas, so two thumbs up on that part.
I bought this laptop for mother and I chose this one because the all the positive review and how it is cheaper than HP or Dell, but when I played around with it, I was not impressed at all. It is brand new computer and we did not add any additional program, and the computer starts up real slow. I mean, I would turn it on and I would have to walk away to grab me a snack, other wise I just might punch the damn thing!
The keyboard feel like I was typing on my kids toy laptop. I would like to return the item, but shipping it back would be just too expensive...should have stick with the brand I know, used and liked!
on December 25, 2012
Lenovo ideapad u510 went dead on Christmas day!
It fails to boot, it fails to recognize the SSD!
The laptop is brand new and I was not able to do
much with it yet.
on January 3, 2013
There are so many good things about this computer but I can't understand why Lenovo would release it with this keyboard. The keys have no spring in them & it sticks. The mouse pad is worst. If they couldn't match the Mac pad why not just leave the standard Lenovo mousepad? I'm going to look for another option maybe next year they will fix these kinks. The size, weight & keyboard lights are great... Stinks that they took cheap route on the keyboard & mouse pad.i

Nick
on January 21, 2014
I read many reviews that said the touchpad was jumpy and defective though the deal was too good to pass up. I have had the laptop for 3 months now and the touchpad has worked just fine, no problems at all.The display on this laptop is great and with the core i7, it makes a pretty fast machine.

My one complaint is that the wireless card get horrible reception, areas in my house that other laptops get 3-4 bars of wifi this laptop drops the signal. I have had to buy a wifi repeater for part of my home specifically for this laptop.
on October 28, 2013
Horrible experience. Lenovo only cares to sell the laptop to you. After that Lenovo will consistently lie, cheat, ignore and otherwise avoid dealing with your problem hoping that you will get tired and go away.

Got the U510 in August. Lenovo was supposed to credit 10% of the price based on the promotion they had at the time. After countless promises and ping-pong between various service reps the credit never happened. That's more than 3 months.

Separately, Lenovo lied to MrRebates._com for THEIR discount, too, saying that the sale didn't happen through their website when in fact it did.

If you talk to Lenovo customer service, they have no record of any previous conversations and seem to be there to provide therapy, not solution. If you write to them, they either ignore your complaint entirely or have some drone write "We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience" - and then still ignore you.

The U510 review: decently built outer shell (metal + hard plastic, quite solid). Backlit keyboard is nice but flimsy (the entire keyboard noticeably moves up and down as you type). The keyboard also feels quite strange (can't quite pinpoint what it is, but I think it is the very low profile combined with this "springing" action that together make typing difficult).

The keypad is large, gets in the way of typing, with poorly performing right and left click keys, and loaded with multi-touch capability which actually aggravates the problem. You keep activating scroll or zoom by inadvertently touching the pad while typing.

Hardware is relatively fast for the price. Overall, nowhere near spectacular and coupled with non-existent customer service this 3-star product gets a nice, solid 1 star from me.