Top critical review
38 of 43 people found this helpful
Miserable Doesn't Describe It
on January 21, 2013
Bought this just before Christmas. It arrived right before New Year's. I started moving my files off my external hard drive to the Lenovo and foolishly thought I was back in business. Wrong. Here are all the problems I confronted in the last 3 weeks. Note that some can be fixed, some can be fixed but instantly revert to how they were before, and some can't be fixed at all.
1) The wifi is shaky. It will connect to some networks, not to others. The computer will slow then halt, and you can't access anything. Rebooting doesn't work and it has nothing to do with resetting the wireless router.
2) The computer crashes in sleep mode. I'm used to being able to have some documents open, close the screen, open it either 5 minutes or 5 hours later and have my documents all there again. It's fine for a few minutes, but anything longer and it crashes. It's hard to tell when this happens since Windows 8 boots so quickly, I'm not sure if the crash is happening on the restart or during sleep, but regardless, it crashes and you have to restore all your work. Lenovo support walked me through a "fix" for this, but it didn't work. In fact, none of their attempts to fix this worked. When you go to your power profile and select "what computer does when I shut lid" as sleep mode, it still crashes. Lenovo support's great idea was to change it to say "do nothing." Well, then it drains the battery down just as fast when it's closed as if you were working on it. I changed it to hibernate, which worked for 2 days, then it started resetting itself backward to "do nothing."
3) The battery indicator cannot be shut off. I first tried to shut off the low battery indicators in the sound profile, that didn't work. I disabled all sound, and that didn't work. I have to mute all sound which does work, but then you can't listen to music at the same time. It's aggravating that at 10%, your computer will loudly beep every 5 seconds and you can't stop it.
4) The media card reader won't read my SD card. Lenovo support had me reinstall drivers, still won't work. They told me I need to connect with a USB cable and I said this is brand new - it should work the way it was intended. They said to send it back to them for a factory reset. Three weeks old and this hunk of junk needs a factory reset? Awesome.
5) Every hour the computer tells me that it's running low on memory and I need to reboot. This is fantastic news isn't it?
6) The keyboard is shaky at best. If you know how to type, you'll be shocked that your fingers keep hitting the wrong keys. There's some give in the whole keyboard that makes it feel like it can easily break. In fact, when I pulled this out of the box, the keyboard shell was actually outside of the computer. I had to snap it back in.
7) Why why why did these idiots mess with the function keys? I had to access the BIOS profile (boot up, hit FN F2) and change the hotkeys to legacy mode. I've worked in Excel for years, and F2 allows you to edit inside a cell. But no, Lenovo had to make F2 the volume key.
I did manage to fix some Windows 8 issues - added a shutdown key and modified the registry to get rid of the annoying lock screen because it would hijack a couple letters of your password so you'd get the "wrong password" message every time you logged in. But those two fixes weren't enough to console me through the rest of the drama.