on December 22, 2011
I have purchased the Lenovo All-In-One desktop computer model B520 on Nov 15th. It arrived in my office on Nov 21st. It's been a month now after using it, I would like to share my thoughts about it.

Pros:

Saves space, this is the biggest advantage of AIO desktop; this is the primary reason that why I have switched. Computers with a case and a separated monitor is a big issue for me. I never liked these cables for mouse, keyboard, speakers, ...etc. it causes a huge mess under the desk. Now, with the All-in-one style, everything is simplified. The only cable I need for this B520 Lenovo desktop is for the power source. It's designed with different wireless technologies. Mouse and Keyboard are connected through Bluetooth; The system has build-in with the latest 802.11b.g.n WiFi wireless technology. It also has the enhanced integrated 5.0 speakers system that supports SRS Premium Sound Audio.

High Performance, out of all the All-In-One desktop models out there in the market, this machine has the highest hardware specifications. Quad Core Intel 2nd Generation CPU i72600 with Hyper Thread Technology. This is a really powerful CPU, it gives its best performance when it comes with Video Rendering and image processing. Word processing and gaming is a piece of cake for the it to handle. I do a lot of video editing so I will only chose this model of CPU.

The B520 model also comes wit a Nvidia Geforce GT555M. This is a middle class close to a high end video card. It handles most of the 3D games in an acceptable setting, but will not be able to run games like BF3 or Crysis kind of games in high settings. This machine is not for serious gamers, because All-in-one desktops has the performance bottleneck with the video card. Computer manufacturing have to keep down the power it consumes to prevent the machine from over heating. High end video cards all have a very high demand for powers, at same time produces huge amount of heat. This is why there are a lot of people start to customize their own computer cases with water cooling system. It is more sophisticated and comes with a lot of trouble. If you want to have something easy, well organized, and just simply works, go for All-In-One. You will love it.

The Lenovo B520 comes with a Touch Screen, which I don't usually use that often. If there are kids in the family, it will be a fun toy for them to play with. What I like better, is the Bluetooth mouse. The unique part about this mouse is that it has a build in gravitational sensor, means, this mouse is functional in the middle of nowhere, even hanging in the air. You can imagine using it like a Wii game controller.Just move the mouse and wave it in the air and you will see the cursor on the screen goes where ever you are pointing. How accurate is it? very accurate!! it's is more sensitive and feels better than using a Wii controller. Lenovo has pre-install some games that can be played interactively with the mouse. The screen is 23', so it would be a fun experience. I don't have any kids in the house, so I uninstalled them all to save some disk spaces and speed up the system a little bit.

The keyboard and mouse are both connected by Bluetooth; I also noticed that every time when I start the computer, it takes about 2-3 seconds for them to become effective. I assume Lenovo has designed it with a "sleep feature" for this two devices; it helps to save battery and extend the replacement cycle.

The computer also comes with a 3D glasses. The touch screen has a very high refreshing rate(120Mhz) which is better for the eyes. The screen works interactively with the 3D glasses. When the computer is playing a movie in 3D format, when I wear the 3D glasses and facing the screen, it automatically turns on and I am in 3D mode!!! It supports a lot of 3D games too!! The feeling in a racing car 3D game is UNBELIEVABLY REAL!! I love it so much! It's a TOTALLY NEW LEVEL of gaming experience!

Also, Lenovo has designed 4 slots for memory modules. they have installed 8GB onto two slots and there are another 2 slots available to use. This is very useful for people like me demands for more rams. It also provides four USB 2.0 and two USB 3.0 port; more than any other All-in-one desktops on the market. The 5 in-one card reader is convenient for uploading photos from cameras. two HDMI ports, I can also connect my PS3 or Xbox360 to it if I want to use it's 3D touch screen. It has a building TV tuner, so watching TV on it is another feature.

Cons:

Even the computer is very well designed, as a high end user I found there are still a couple places that Lenovo can improve.

1. Lenovo has researched and developed this RapidDrive technology; I see this is an option on the Spec-sheet for the product, but I never had the chance to upgrade it. I demand for a high disk performance; I was a little disappointed when I found out that I wasn't able to install another SSD high performance disk into the computer. I had to take out the 2TB standard disk drive and replace it with the SSD. It would be really nice if I can have the high performance SSD installed as the system drive, and the HD installed as the storage drive. The RapidDrive technology may become failing out now, because it was from those years that SSD weren't popularly used. Compare to the present, SSD is getting more and more popular, the SSD is improving it's performance and lowering it's cost. In the next one or two years, the RapidDrive technology will likely become a history.

2. I have opened the B520 model to see the inside modules. I see there are still plenty of spaces that Lenovo engineer can use to expand the upgrade capacities. I can use some simple tools to modify the inside body a little bit to fit another hard drive, but it stopped me from doing it because there is not another power cord connector. Those extra mSata connectors are sitting there and watching me could do anything about it; = (

3. Lenovo technical support did not have a most updated tech sheet for their system. Again, I am a tech kind of guy. I was looking for a manual to better understanding the B520 motherboard.(so I can modify it and add some extra hardware to it) I have called their technical support, talked to people, went through their online data base, they weren't able to provide me this manual. The lastest information they have is for the previous model. The B520 Model I have a the newest I believe. Lenovo should keep up with their technical support, and be prepare for experienced users.

Conclusion:
I am satisfied with it. I feel I have made a great purchase. Would be nice it I can install an additional SSD in there. Would nice if they can put a high end video card in there. Good for home offices, and home entertainments. Not recommended for hardcore gamer.

Price: 4.5 / 5
Performance: 4.5 / 5
Exterior Design: 5 / 5
Interior Design: 3.5 / 5
Customer Service: 4.5 / 5
Time from order to receive the product: QUICKLY
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on October 12, 2011
I picked this Lenovo all in onecomputer but got as present from Hubby. I went from Asus gaming laptop and wanted a gaming computer to update too. Wow Graphics are awesome and if you play Wow no worries it handles it easy turn up the graphics see what u have been missin i see things i never saw before. It runs very fast fires up in like 36sec and shuts down quickly too. It is a bit big but not to bulky i love having larger screen view, I have loaded all my videos and pic easily.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again