Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

on October 15, 2012
I purchased this nettop to do basic HTPC functions.(stream video from popular online sources as well as my network storage and video photos and local video). The overall video playback was very poor. Lots of choppy video with tearing and freezing. I spent hours updating network, graphics and chipset drivers to the most current versions, then configuring the OS to get the best possible video performance. I was left with sub-par video playback(@ 720HD) and had dumbed down the OS to its most basic appearance. If you are just looking for a slim, low power usage box to browse the web and do desktop(OFFICE) type publishing, you'll be just fine. If you are asking any more of this system(though they say it is capable) consider stepping up to a more powerful machine.

I will say the Multimedia mouse is great. I had version one and this unit ships with 2nd generation backlit Multi-function mouse. I will be ordering one separate to use with my Acer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2012
This computer is configured and sold as a mini-media center. Yet it will not stream Amazon Prime Movies. The Video is horrendous. I don't believe there is a fix. If your thinking of running Windows 8 forget it. I spent the weekend working with Lenovo and Microsoft trying to get Windows 8 to run properly. It did not happen. Lenovo finally admitted it would not work. Yet the Lenovo website leads you to believe you can do the upgrade. I am totally disappointed with this machine and I am going to return it if I can. Sincerely wizardofoz.
on December 25, 2012
It seems to me that the main use of a computer with this form factor is to use as a HTPC (home theater PC). That's why I bought it, anyway. After hooking it up to my TV, I tested it with the three main websites I watch regularly, YouTube, Netflix, and YouTube and Netflix were OK, but when I tried to watch, the framerate was terrible unless I kept it in a tiny window. I checked google, and apparently everyone has this problem. I'm guessing there's a driver issue that prevents Flash from being hardware-accelerated with whatever graphics card this has. Of course, this made it completely useless for my purpose. I sent it back and got a full refund.

Don't buy this if you want to watch Hulu in full-screen mode.
on August 16, 2012
I'm a desk top user. I have a 30 in monitor on my main machine which this isn't but I've also noted that the real computing power needed by most users is almost nothing and that includes me most of the time. I don't like having a big clunky tower on my desktop when you can shove the same amount of power into a laptop. I have therefore been looking around for a mini computer that didn't get in the way and waste desk space. I decided to give this a try. Considering that an Ipad could drive my 30 inch monitor I'm not overly impressed with that side of this machine. It is adequate for 1080p tv and most monitors. The cpu is kind of lame but adequate for everything I do except work with video and my main machine can handle that. It is my opinion that this machine hooked up to tv would make and all in one for most people. It should work great in your kid's room, a den, or a man/woman cave. You would want a full 1080p and if the monitor was over about 30 inches you would notice pixilation if you didn't back up however you most likely don't set that close to your tv anyway. A wireless mouse and keyboard allows you to back up with rather more comfort than the mini keyboard/what's it supplied. Unfortunately tv makers seem to think you don't need a full 1080p on monitors in the 30 inch or less size though this seems to be changing. Windows media center software works as well for media as anything. Microsoft isn't going to keep upgrading it but that is because they want you to buy and Xbox to use as a media center.

I ditched the mini keyboard and hooked up a wireless mouse and keyboard. That freed up a USB port. The out on sound is in the front and you have to leave the flap open if you use a regular monitor but then this is meant to send audio to a tv and be a media center. If you don't connect to a tv the blueray player doesn't work as such due to DRM. The usb 3 connections allow you to hook up some big external hard drives and do fast backups if you wish or connect with a large media library.

For the money this is a good buy.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2013
I bought the Q180 as a HTPC and was supper excited about the form and size of it. Unfortunately it fails at its most basic purpose: video streaming. Whether it is from the web or from the HDD/memory stick, video streaming is choppy, cuts off, and is off from the sound track. DVD playback is only passable.

The Intel Atom processor feels underpowered, and is crippling to any function. HDD is far too slow.
on March 8, 2013
This product works great with our television. It came with Windows 7 (which was a must for us) and has Windows Media Center on it. Since we do not have cable tv, it gives us a way to have a menue of the tv programs that are available so we can look ahead and see what we want to watch. Most other computers we viewed have Windows 8 which would not have worked for our purposes.
on December 10, 2012
good small PC, the size ,design ,and hardware , the processor its not that fast but its OK and you have to find compatible apps and softwares for windows 7 !!!!
on December 9, 2013
Arrive on time, the product as description, and easy to install, the price is more cheap than frys, but the quality is the same
on December 2, 2012
I have had my Lenovo Q180 for about a year now and it has been a great little computer for my needs. It is not a real powerhouse but you already knew that. It is reasonably quick and it is very quiet and it's a low power consumption device so it doesn't eat too much electricity which will save you $$$ in the long run. That is a plus since it is always on (albeit in low power consumption sleep mode). I use it mainly as my Media Playback/Web browsing/arcade emulator machine hooked up to my Samsung 46" LCD TV. I have an HP USB ATSC Tuner hooked up to an indoor antenna and I recently purchased an HDhomerun Dual tuner which is hooked up to my cable for tuning in unencrypted QAM. The tuners are used with windows 7 mediacenter to create an homebrew free DVR which works pretty well as long as the antenna signal is strong. (I have had certain shows record with lots of stuttering and other shows with extremely smooth playback) I also use Hulu desktop to stream TV shows which works ok but sometimes the tracking is a bit off. I haven't tried Netflix or Amazon's streaming services yet so I can't say how well they work. I can say that XBMC mediacenter makes this little box the ultimate movie playback machine. With the right software this tiny little computer can do amazing things. It isn't without it's flaws though, I wish that it came with 4GB ram instead of 2gb and I wish that all the USB ports were USB 3.0, not just the ones on the front. You will want a big ext. USB 3.0 harddrive for it and it would have a much cleaner look if the cable was attached to the back side but unfortunately you get the best perfomance on the USB 3.0 front ports.
on December 21, 2012
We have installed 10 of this computers. We use them in conference rooms and they are great cause you can hide them behind the screen. Computer works great for internet search and power point presentations.

See 1 answered question