5.0 out of 5 stars Love it
Published on September 13, 2011 by Jewel Shepard

1.0 out of 5 stars Not ready for prime time
This product is an interesting concept, but I think it is simply underpowered to do the job. I am returning it for a refund.

Published on November 23, 2011 by Bingoprof

1.0 out of 5 stars Not ready for prime time, November 23, 2011
Bingoprof (West Hartford, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaCentre Q150 40812HU Desktop Computer - Black (Personal Computers)

The main problem (others reported this, but I thought it might be due to operator's error): turns out that the 40812HU cannot stream 1080p material from the internet. It is hard for me to identify where the bottleneck occurs: is it the ATOM dual core CPU, the NVIDIA ION GPU, or the mere 2 GB of RAM? Whatever it is, Netflix streaming would simply not output smoothly for more than 30 seconds.

Coming with virtually no documentation, it took a bit of trial and error to get sound to output through HDMI. Nothing a techie can't handle, but I always wonder in situations like this what a novice might do. Speaking of documentation, there is virtually nothing on the Lenovo support site concerning this product, and what exists is not easy to find.

And honestly, the cool-looking keyboard is atrocious, particularly since it is not backlit. Try using the keyboard in a home theater.

So bottom line - save yourself the trouble. Cool concept; failed implementation.

And thank goodness Amazon is so good about returns!

1.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to like it., December 20, 2011
I was looking for a HTPC to serve as my digital hub in my living room. I was looking for a device to stream Hulu, Amazon on Demand, Netfix, as well as my own media collection. Getting the little thing to do this was possible but frustrating and I had to retire this unit due to the fact that perfermance was underwhelming to say the least. It worked fine at first albeit I could not watch movies from Netflix or content from Hulu at 1080 without the picture becoming choppy. I decreased the resolution to 720 which defeated the purpose of getting the unit. Even under reduced settings the unit freezes frequently and to utilize all the ports you have to use run wires from the front and back. This wasn't really a problem because I kept the unit hidden behind a speaker but now I have a unit that doesn't perform as well as my gaming console for streaming and one that I would be embarrassed to show off. Finding something capable of talking to this unit is a nightmare and I've tried multiple wireless keyboards and responsiveness was lacking. It would be working great and then all of the sudden the cursor would freeze. That started happening too frequently. You get what you pay for and I chose to get a cheap unit and I've paid for it in hours of frustration. I fooled around using a macbook air as my htpc and while that is not what those are designed for it kicked this unit's butt. Got to the point where I had to swallow my pride, admit that this product sucks, and order a mac mini.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, September 13, 2011
Jewel Shepard (Jackson, MS United States) - See all my reviews
The set up is easy. Don't make the same mistake as I did with the mouse. The USB dongle is in the back between the batteries. It says it but it kind of goes unnoticed if you go by the illustrations. So it does actually pay to read the instructions. The customer service rep was very patient and very kind. I got this for the TV to pay web content. It is tiny and completely noise free. I have to admit, though, after a few days I got a wireless full size keyboard and mouse. That would be the only drawback I can see to purchasing this. The remote mouse/keyboard is tiny and hard to see in anything but very bright light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for XBMC, November 27, 2011
T. Alyaseen (Stuttgart, Germany) - See all my reviews
I'll keep this short, This box is perfect for XBMC.
Unboxed it, and used it on XBMC straight away while streaming 1080p content, no jitter, no failures. Loved the keyboard/trackball that came with it.

This box is worth the price. I kept reading about this box having a loud fan. Honestly, it didn't make a sound at all.

Wished it wasn't Atom processor, but what more can I ask for :).

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact excellent performer, September 26, 2011
S. Bierner (Dallas, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Lenovo is very compact, fits behind a monitor. Performed flawlessly right out of the box. Set up was easy. Wish it had more USB ports.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT GOOD ENOUGH, September 18, 2011
Nice little box with a lot in it but unfortunately not good enough. Not suitable for 1080 HD viewing, especially (but not only) Netflix. Choppy video which after a moment freezes completely. Since I bought it for HD use I had to return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, Portable, and Efficient, September 8, 2011
If you're using this for gaming, It will work on simple games, and lower HD graphic games. For a cheap price, it is portable, and has fulfilled everything I have asked for. HDMI for me to watch my movies, and clips in 1080p. It has a fast enough processor, and a decent enough graphics card to fulfill that. Mines came with a small keyboard and mouse combined, and it's very convenient. If you're looking for something simple that you want to use for everything but high end gaming, this is right for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only good as a decorative piece, March 19, 2012
This PC, if you can call it one, has no horsepower for anything other than to just display the desktop screen. I bought this device as a unit to stream videos from the internet onto my LED TV. It was not even able to do that. There was no horse power at all that the videos were so choppy because of CPU bandwidth limitations it rendered itself useless. DO NOT BUY.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, December 14, 2011
I bought this for my media room to be used strictly for storing my music so I could sit in my chair and use the remote to play any song "on the fly" instead of either listening to a complete cd or playing a song or two from a cd then getting up and playing another song or two from another cd. This product is great. If I needed to replace my laptop I will buy another one of these, attach it to a monitor, buy a wireless mouse and keyboard and be done. I don't know why you would ever need a desktop or laptop (unless it is for travel) again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo computer, December 7, 2011
Wonderful product, attach to your TV, and you have an instant large screen computer, and that is a plus for us old folks, lots of other advantages. Very compact unit and powerful.

Lenovo IdeaCentre Q150 40812HU Desktop Computer - Black