4.0 out of 5 stars Capable Laptop / Budget-Friendly Price
Let me quickly list the features:

CPU: Intel 4200M @ 2.5 GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 6GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz. Only 2 of 4 slots used.
HD: 1TB @ 5400 RPM
SCREEN: 15.6" touch screen @ 1366x768, glossy finish. I think it is a TN panel, not the best viewing angles. Definitely not IPS.
PORTS: 2 usb 3.0; 1 usb 2.0; full-sized HDMI;...
Published 2 months ago by S. Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Craftsmanship
Published 1 month ago by me

4.0 out of 5 stars Capable Laptop / Budget-Friendly Price, May 20, 2014
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad 15.6-Inch Touchscreen Laptop, Black (59406579) (Personal Computers)
Let me quickly list the features:

CPU: Intel 4200M @ 2.5 GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 6GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz. Only 2 of 4 slots used.
HD: 1TB @ 5400 RPM
PORTS: 2 usb 3.0; 1 usb 2.0; full-sized HDMI; RJ-45 Ethernet Port; VGA port; 3.5mm headphone jack; multi-card reader
WIFI: 802.11 a/b/g/n (no ac support)
Bluetooth: 2.1+EDR
Optical Drive: Matsushita DVD-RW drive. Windows device manager shows DVD-RAM.

The Setup. When you first turn the computer on, you will have to go through the traditional Windows initial set up process. Although some bloatware is included, most are just url shortcuts that can easily be added to the recycle bin. Some of Metro apps are also included which I swiftly deleted by right clicking. The major portion of the bloatware is the Lenovo software package. I kept a couple of the applications, but uninstalled the rest. The lenovo applications are designed to facilitate the maintenance of your machine. A GUI interface is included for updating drivers and windows. I think it could be useful to many a user, but I went ahead and deleted it. It does come with McAfee pre-installed, but it is only a trial version. I personally use other suites for protecting my computer, so I went ahead and deleted this, as well. It also comes with a link for activating MS Office, also requiring a subscription or payment.

Not all the applications are useless, I did keep the Lenovo PowerDVD10, a rebranded Cyberlink program. It's a mobile versino of the program, and not the full pro version. But considering this laptop only comes with a DVD player, I decided to keep it. I guess I could use VLC instead, but I like the GUI of an actual DVD player. It's free, so no harm keeping it.

Now please note, this laptop does not come with the newest version of Windows 8.1. It does not come with the newest service pack (I know MS isn't calling it a service pack). You have to update your machine to the newest service pack. This is actually quite time consuming, so anticipate having to go through this process before using your computer. Trust me, it's worth it.

The overall look of the laptop is nice. Although it is made of almost entirely plastic, the finish does a good job of simulating brushed aluminum. It is a 15" laptop, so this is not an ultrabook by any means, but considering the screen size, this is a a relatively slim laptop. The lid of the laptop is a tiny bit thicker than normal, but I would think that is due to the additional touch layer.

The monitor is decent, not great. Because it is a reflective TN panel, the viewing angles are rather finicky, especially vertically. Definitely not a cutting-edge, matte-finish, greater than HD panel. This panel is more akin to the panels we've had about 2-5 years ago. At 1366x768, or just above 720p resolutions, it's not bad. Colors are decent, and offer a decent level of contrast. Overall, the screen itself is meh. The touchscreen aspect, though, is very responsive and accurate. There is a slight imprint/comet trail that appears when you touch the screen--which appears to a way to provide visual feedback to the user. My fat finger hides most of it, but it's a nice little touch, no pun intended. There doesn't appear to be any liquid layer displacement. I personally don't use the touch screen very much, but it is a nice feature to have, especially in Metro.

The keyboards are of the chiclet variety. It does come with the ten-key numberpad--15.6" form factors generally do. Not much to say, here, I think we are pretty familiar with chiclet keys now. The touchpad is multi-touch. So you can use two finger tap for right click. You can two finger swipe to scroll. Once again, no complaints here. The touchpad is made of a nice frictionless material and it is nice and roomy. It does have two physical buttons for left and right clicking.

Although it does have the newest Haswell chips, battery life isn't spectacular. On power saver mode, you can get almost 5 hours on light browsing. In balanced mode, you are more likely to get around 2.5 hours. The problem here isn't the CPU, it's the battery. This laptop comes with a rather small battery--2800mAh. That's about the same as my Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

This is a really solid laptop at this price range. Lenovo definitely had to cut some corners to come in at this price point, but if you want a cheap 15.6" laptop, then this is a decent option. For an entry-level machine, this laptop is very attractive, sturdy and performs well. The only two gigs are the TN reflective display and the small battery. If they switched to IPS and provided a larger battery, this would definitely be a 5-star product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Computer with Most Necessary Features, May 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm replacing an entry level Compaq about 3 years old with this computer. At that time, the cheapest laptops were around $300, while entry level models that weren't dirt cheap were around $400. This laptop strikes me as a well updated version of the entry level models, while managing to be a bit more expensive, most likely because of the addition of the large touchscreen.

Hardware:

It has everything you need to do most things you'd want to do at home easily. I'm very happy to have HDMI and USB3.0 ports, as well as a standard keyboard and a standard touchpad. As with all laptops, I had to turn off some of the fancier features on the touchpad software to keep it from doing things I don't want it to do. The addition of the number pad means the touchpad has to be off center in order to be centered with the space bar. I believe the processor is a tried and true Intel model, but nothing cutting edge. As usual, more RAM would be the best thing you could do for this computer, but you'll probably have to throw some away to max it out (I'm guessing it can take up to 16GB; please comment if I am wrong about this). It's great to have a 1TB HD built in, but some solid state memory - on its own or as a hybrid drive for programs - would do wonders for this machine. I don't see a place to add it without completely replacing the built in drive.

Looks:

When I selected and purchased the high end Lenovo X220 for work a few years ago, all the reviews raved about it, but each and every professional review mentioned they were disappointed in the looks (old skool IBM ThinkPad style), claiming that it wasn't sexy (yes, at least one actually used the word sexy). This computer, although not a contender for the high end work laptop market, makes a change in classic ThinkPad appearance in order to appeal to those seeking a sexy computer. It looks fairly modern, but it does not look super expensive and it won't make you cool. This doesn't bother me in the least.

Windows 8 and this computer.

By the way, you don't NEED the touchscreen to run Windows 8. Microsoft wants people to use their operating system on both their computer and their phone. This idea is understandable, as all the big companies are trying to get ALL your business, not just a portion of it. But it gets annoying really quick when there are so many preloaded and "pushed" apps that won't let you use them until you make an account, which in turn makes it easy to spend money in their respective markets. They also want so badly to host your information in the cloud, when it's more secure properly stored locally in most cases. Frankly, for a laptop, I don't use a touchscreen, and I don't want it to act like my phone or my tablet. Luckily, after about two hours of playing with settings, I was able to get this working 98% like Windows 7, which makes me fairly happy.

Apparently, all Lenovos include some app that replicates a Windows button in your taskbar (on your desktop, which does exist, but you have to first find it) so you can basically bypass all those "app squares" and just run the computer like a computer (I am a young guy on the brink of being a computer nerd, btw, so this is not coming from an old guy resistant to change. I just like classic technologies that work well, while shiny things don't easily impress me...). To summarize, if this will be your first Win8 machine and it that fact worries you...don't worry, you can fix it to your liking with some patience.

Annoyances:

I'm a picky guy who always has plenty to complain about, so don't be startled by this long list:

- New proprietary power input. Although the rectifier is the same one that comes with most Lenovos that I've seen, it now has a new connector, meaning I can't just use my existing docking stations and other power bricks. That's annoying. More annoying is that they probably did this to be "hip" like Apple (which, to be clear, I do not find hip).

- To augment this, most cheaper laptop batteries start to lose capacity after a while, which will eventually keep you tethered to a wall; time with tell with this model, but if my theory holds out, it'll be even more of an obstacle to not have additional rectifier packs laying around; you'll have to haul the power block around with the computer when you move it.

- In all this trying to look sexy, they had to make the top as large as the bottom and integrate the hinge (like an Apple). But now when I sit cross legged on the couch with this on my lap, the two rear corners dig uncomfortably into my legs, which is a problem I do not have with other computers. The fairly large size exacerbates that small issue.

- And about the size, it's a bit larger than it has to be to accommodate the size of the screen and keyboard (even with number pad). Like, you can see unused space around the screen, and the bezel is larger than necessary as well. When I pick it up by the front, already open, with one hand, the weight of it makes it flex slightly. My old Compaq did this as well, but lower weight and a stronger feel would always be appreciated.

Despite my list of (minor) annoyances and the fact that this will never be a high end business or gaming computer, it is a pretty solid, useable, and configurable home machine. With the exception of solid state memory, it appears to have all the basics covered and hopefully will not become outdated because of missing ports or features any time too soon. I like that mine looks classic enough to sit in my living room, works well enough to do browsing and downloading at home without hassle, and that I can play with Windows 8's new interface, apps, and touchscreen at my leisure should I become bored (who knows, I may later decide that I cannot live without these things). I would recommend it for someone in the market for a new home computer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Craftsmanship, June 23, 2014
I'm NOT a techie in any sense of the word, so this review is written by a layman, with layman's expectations of a solid, serviceable machine. I bought this computer to replace a six year old Dell Vostro 1510, which served me well and faithfully until the updates for the programs it was running overwhelmed its 4GB of RAM. This computer, the Lenovo G510s Touch, is not as good in any respect. It didn't ACTUALLY fall apart, so I'm not giving it one star, but it's close. I'm returning it and looking for another brand.

The computer is HEAVY. That might not be a problem if it's a desktop replacement, but not for a computer which is intended for mobile use (and, after all, isn't that the point of a laptop?).
The trackpad and buttons are sluggish to respond. I MIGHT be able to come up with an excuse for this - they want you to use the touchscreen interface, so that's where they spent their money - but that's still a piece that's going to break before its time.
The workmanship is just plain flimsy - EVERY part of the case flexes alarmingly. The keyboard flexes up and down with the slightest touch. The protector between the keys isn't anchored around the edges of the depressed keypad area.
The optical drive isn't anchored or protected within the side of the computer, and it moves up and down and side to side even in the locked position. It sits right where I put my hand to pick it up, and I was afraid that one of these days I would tear it out by accident.
The center bottom edge of the screen housing flexes back and forth if you press on it even slightly (as if, for example, you were holding it in one hand in the middle).
The housing around the camera was not hooked together when I got the computer - I had to snap it into place around the edges of the screen.
The worst part, though, is the hinge mechanism. As I flex the screen back and forth, the hinge catches on the edges of the base housing (around the vent and power port) and snaps it open and closed. Opening and closing the screen flexes the BOTTOM cover of the computer, as if the hinge isn't anchored properly inside the machine.

The OS isn't bad. I got rid of most of the extras which make Windows 8 okay for mobile devices and ridiculous for computers, made it more like Windows 7. It's fast, downloads programs and files quickly, and can handle the tasks which brought my old computer to its knees (simultaneous use of Excel, Word, Chrome, OneNote, Windows Explorer and an audio analysis program). But the issues with the case are a dealbreaker for me.

All of this adds up to a machine which will disintegrate too quickly and too easily. I want a computer which will stand the test of time, not break apart in my hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basically Everything, July 18, 2014
Many of the reviews here about the construction of the laptop are legitimate. Casing needs to be popped into place after arrival, the laptop does flex more than you'd expect. All that being said, it's much more durable than many of the reviews claim.

I purchased this laptop to replace my V570 (something in the motherboard that tells the computer it's charging melted) and I've been mostly satisfied. The first thing I did was run a game. I had several issues on low graphic where the laptop ran out of memory (I was also running Skype and Chrome in the background).

I pulled the 4GB memory chip out of my V570 and replaced the 2GB chip in this one mostly because I had it and I could. The laptop now runs that game maximum graphics with extra programs running in the background including Skype and Chrome. I would even say it's worth purchasing a memory chip specifically for this. (Windows 8 takes up a lot more memory per program running.)

Touch screen responsive; programs run as they should; 0 errors, freezes, or slow spells. I would like to be able to change filters on the webcam more.

There's also something with the speakers: if you are running multiple programs playing audio at the same time (e.g., Spotify and Game), one of the audio programs will have lower sound quality briefly (e.g., when Spotify switches to the next song, there's less bass to it for the first few seconds). There's no way to keep this from happening. That being said, the speakers are significantly better than my experience with any other Lenovo. They're located on the bottom front of the laptop rather than up by the screen where I'm used to.

The battery is small. I keep mine plugged in.

Comes with 8.1; good OS.

Can't say much about trackpad other than that I had to disable it because palm detection wasn't particularly great. I use mainly the touchscreen and a wireless mouse.

USB slots are VERY sturdy. In fact, I had trouble taking my wireless mouse port out because there's so little grip to it.

The function keys (F1-F12) are Fn keys on this laptop with the various other function buttons (volume and brightness control, screen witching, airplane mode, disable/enable trackpad, refresh) are the default keys. Not used to this. They make sense, though. (Close window is F4 correlating to Alt F4, refresh is F5...)

The keyboard is good but it took some getting used to after my last laptop. Not better or worse; just responds differently. Num Lock and Caps Lock keys have lights on the keys themselves saying they're active rather than somewhere else.

I like the texture of the casing. Only complaint is the edges your wrists may rest on are a little sharper than comfortable.

I'm more than satisfied with this laptop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop, but could be better, June 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First the major negative aspect I found:
The keyboard is made of very cheap and thin plastic; the keys have no dercernible pressure point, and the sound they make is a horrible clacking noise. There is no way to type fast on this keyboard, and even slow deliberate typing is a painful experience.
On the other hand, the outer casing of this laptop is made of sturdy and strong plastic, which makes the laptop quite lightweight. That is one of the major advantages, as well as the big screen which has very good color rendition, brightness, and sharpness. The other technical specs are acceptable - this laptop is no burner, but for general household use it will certainly suffice. But you better make sure to have a wall outlet in reach, because the battery is not the strongest and will give you, depending on the usage of course, no more than five hours of life. That is clearly the trade-off for the big screen and could be expected. But the deal breaker for me would be the sub-standard keyboard - and yes, Windows 8 is supposed to be operated with your fingers, I know. But what do you do when working in Word or Excel? Wouldn't you want a good keyboard to assist you to type in numbers and letters? Me too ...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great budget friendly laptop, June 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My first computer was a Commodore 64; that's 64k as in 64 kilobytes of ram; it sold for $595 in the early 80's. I remember in the mid 90's when I saw an advertisement for a computer with a 1GB hard drive and I was shocked that so much space could be in one computer. Now here's a 1TB hard drive in a laptop, which is almost 1,000 gigabytes! Plus 6GB of ram; mind boggling to me! And the price is less than I paid for the Commodore 64.

This is my introduction to Lenovo and I'm pretty impressed. This is a sturdy, good looking laptop with a 15.6" widescreen and the screen doesn't "disappear" when looked at from the side. To me the screen is super thin (1/4" maybe); I'm use to them being much thicker. It is, however, pretty heavy for lugging around (almost 6 pounds). The laptop has fallen off the stand and didn't skip a beat, thank goodness.

The setup took a while installing Windows 8.1 (which is much better than Windows 8 even though it still takes some getting use to). During the install it found another computer in the house on the network and asked if I wanted to set up this computer the same as that one or separately. I would suggest if that happens to set it up separately because I set it up like the other one and found that all the exact programs and wallpaper that I had on that one was now on this one, and I did not want all of that. I found out the Windows program called OneDrive syncs both computers so they're exactly the same, so I ended up signing into my Microsoft account and changing that.

At the beginning I received a message that being plugged in at over 70% of battery was not recommended and to enable "Conservation Mode" in settings. To do that type in "energy manager" on the start screen (when the screen shows up start typing; there doesn't need to be a place to type in). In settings on Energy Manager I clicked on Conservation Mode and now the battery stays charged at 55-60%. I can't tell yet whether that's helping the battery performance or not.

For those of you familiar with Windows 8; Windows 8.1 does not come on with the start screen and all the icons like Windows 8, although you can click on the icon on the lower left of the task bar to open the start screen. Also, when a program is newly installed it does not show up on the start screen like it previously did in Windows 8. I had to research to find out that to open a new program go to the start screen and at the bottom left is a down arrow; click on that and it will show you the programs installed. If you want to put one on the start screen right click on it and either pin to start or pin to taskbar. I had a heck of a time finding a game I had downloaded until I searched Google to find out where it was. I also downloaded a game at the Windows store that I thought was for the PC and it ended up being for the Xbox. After that the computer froze up and that's the only time in over a month that I actually had to turn it off using the power button. :-(

There are a few Lenovo programs that come on it that may or may not be beneficial. Lenovo Photos I thought was a photo manager but it's actually an online printing service. There's a program called Lenovo VeriFace, a face recognition program that scans a face by webcam in order to authenticate Windows users. Lenovo PowerDVD10 is a universal player for movies, home videos and digital music. Lenovo Reach is a cloud storage service and Lenovo Solution Center lets users identify the status for system health, network connections and overall system security.

The one thing I do not like about this laptop is the touchy touchpad. I'm a person who loves touchpads but on this one I haven't seemed to get the right sensitivity; I've changed it from a light to heavy touch many times. I don't know if it's because I don't hit exactly the right spot on the touchpad. This touchpad also has separate buttons below for right and let clicks which I didn't realize at first and have to get use to. And yes, it is a touch screen which works great but I'm usually sitting too far away to use that, although when I get frustrated with the touch pad I remember I can actually touch the screen, lol.

I have watched lots of Amazon Prime Instant Video movies and they play seamlessly without any interruptions. The laptop does get warm playing a movie but hasn't over-heated. I installed a 10 year old game (Far Cry) and once I put it in compatibility mode for WindowsXP it worked great. I have downloaded some games from the Windows store and they work fine. Some people have mentioned this is not a gaming machine, but for me and most of the games out there I think it's awesome (it does have 6GB of ram after all). I'm not a heavy gamer, however, and don't have a bunch of brand new Windows games that require a huge graphics card.

The battery life is not very good; when watching an Amazon Instant Video I've gotten a message before the end of a two-hour movie that I need to plug it in, and it was fully charged when I started the movie. I'm typing this on my new Lenovo IdeaPad (and I haven't had any problems with the keyboard). I'd have to give it 4 1/2 stars; 1/2 a star taken off for the touchpad and battery life. Other reviewers have detailed the technical "stuff" so I wanted to give you my personal experience. I hope this review helps you make a decision; if you have questions, feel free to comment and I'll try my best to answer; thank you. :-)

7/15 update: I said to my hubby today that I didn't know what I did before having this laptop. I installed another game - "Alice", a 2000 game, which runs perfectly when using WindowsXP compatibility mode. I've been watching Amazon Instant Video almost daily on it and both the picture and sound are great. :-) I rarely use my Windows 7 laptop now (which cost more than this one).

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising Hit!, June 19, 2014
Corey A. Doyle (North Canton, Ohio) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's been a long time since I've worked on a PC and even longer since I've worked on a PC laptop. I mostly work on MAC which I love but sometimes you need to be mobile and that's where this PC comes into play.

Windows 8 works flawlessly on this computer and the ease of use when combined with the touch screen is impressive. It seamlessly works into your workflow and makes life simpler and everything is very intuitive on this machine. While the touch screen is not something I use all the time, the option for it is nice and handy and the screen is just sensitive enough for it to be easy to use and not a pain in the rear.

The speed is quick and while it may not be the fastest machine around, it gets the job done for what the aver consumer would need/use it for. Note: it is sluggish with Lightroom and Photoshop when processing a lot of files. In bits and pieces it's fine but for professional work this is not the machine to turn to. I'm not a gamer but I'd imagine the same goes for people wanting to use this for heavy graphic gaming... it WORKS but wouldn't be what I would recommend for someone to go to if that's their end game in mind.

The only thing that was disappointing with this computer is that the disc drive pops out all.the.time. I mean if you look at it sideways it pops out the drive to say hello. It's kind of bizarre but it's not a dealbreaker. Just annoying.

Bottom line: for the average user that needs/wants a laptop that is a PC, this is a great machine for the price if you are not a gamer or will be using it as a workhorse if you are a photographer. For the average consumer/student this machine will meet and even exceed your expectations especially for the price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Family Laptop (Kid-Tablet replacement), June 23, 2014
Rebecca N (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
You don't typically see touchscreens in this price point, and if you have no need for one, you might be paying for something you don't need.

But if you want an all-purpose laptop for a family, this is perfect. It is completely thorough and consistent with respect to features and functionality - It leaves nothing lacking when it comes to the standards you expect from a mid-priced laptop.

Here's where it goes above the standards:

1. It has a more had drive space than others - that ITB is so good for movies and home videos.

2. what sets it out as the perfect family laptop - the touch screen is also just great for kids who are exposed to tablets and other touch-screen devices. So while I use the keyboard, it's great that the touchscreen is so intuitive for my daughter as well.

It's essentially two laptops -- one for me for browsing, working, emailing ... general laptop stuff that I wouldn't use a tablet for ... but it's also got the storage and touch interface that makes is a great tablet/ media device for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars the construction quality is poor, the keyboard is cheap, July 16, 2014
Many complained about something with this laptop: the construction quality is poor, the keyboard is cheap, etc. I had low expectations from the laptop, but I just needed something basic for work, so I figured it would probably be fine. It has far exceeded my expectations. The touch screen is responsive, there is substantial documentation online for it as well. The keyboard feels very functional and not cheap to me. Pairs bluetooth just fine and wifi also works with few complaints. Runs Windows 8 well, and Ubuntu just fine as well. The i5 is certainly fast enough for most normal uses barring heavy gaming, but the video card will stop most heavy games faster than the processor itself. Overall, for a work computer that needs just a little more than barebones power, it works much better than expected.

4.0 out of 5 stars 4-star machine, July 6, 2014
This is the best laptop I've purchased from Amazon so far. I definitely recommend it based on how terrible the HP laptops I bought and had to return were, but this one isn't quite problem-free either. Here are some problems specific to my machine:

1. The screen turns into a mirror when outdoors or in light - you cannot use your laptop at all unless you're indoors or in the shade.

2. You can see your reflection in the screen when indoors too, due to lighting I guess.

3. The touchpad is unresponsive to taps so good luck tapping the touchpad to close a page or open a link. It's so unresponsive that I've taken to double-tapping, which very illogically opens a link twice, or clicking the super-loud bar at the bottom.

4. A few of the keys seem funny now... when I press certain keys it's like there's foam underneath it or something.

Other than these four items this is a great laptop and even with the four items it's still the best I've ever purchased. No more HP for me!

Rate and Discover Movies