100 Sci-Fi & Fantasy Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now STEM Toys & Games

VINE VOICEon May 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Let me quickly list the features:

CPU: Intel 4200M @ 2.5 GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 6GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz. Only 2 of 4 slots used.
HD: 1TB @ 5400 RPM
SCREEN: 15.6" touch screen @ 1366x768, glossy finish. I think it is a TN panel, not the best viewing angles. Definitely not IPS.
PORTS: 2 usb 3.0; 1 usb 2.0; full-sized HDMI; RJ-45 Ethernet Port; VGA port; 3.5mm headphone jack; multi-card reader
WIFI: 802.11 a/b/g/n (no ac support)
Bluetooth: 2.1+EDR
Optical Drive: Matsushita DVD-RW drive. Windows device manager shows DVD-RAM.

The Setup. When you first turn the computer on, you will have to go through the traditional Windows initial set up process. Although some bloatware is included, most are just url shortcuts that can easily be added to the recycle bin. Some of Metro apps are also included which I swiftly deleted by right clicking. The major portion of the bloatware is the Lenovo software package. I kept a couple of the applications, but uninstalled the rest. The lenovo applications are designed to facilitate the maintenance of your machine. A GUI interface is included for updating drivers and windows. I think it could be useful to many a user, but I went ahead and deleted it. It does come with McAfee pre-installed, but it is only a trial version. I personally use other suites for protecting my computer, so I went ahead and deleted this, as well. It also comes with a link for activating MS Office, also requiring a subscription or payment.

Not all the applications are useless, I did keep the Lenovo PowerDVD10, a rebranded Cyberlink program. It's a mobile versino of the program, and not the full pro version. But considering this laptop only comes with a DVD player, I decided to keep it. I guess I could use VLC instead, but I like the GUI of an actual DVD player. It's free, so no harm keeping it.

Now please note, this laptop does not come with the newest version of Windows 8.1. It does not come with the newest service pack (I know MS isn't calling it a service pack). You have to update your machine to the newest service pack. This is actually quite time consuming, so anticipate having to go through this process before using your computer. Trust me, it's worth it.

The overall look of the laptop is nice. Although it is made of almost entirely plastic, the finish does a good job of simulating brushed aluminum. It is a 15" laptop, so this is not an ultrabook by any means, but considering the screen size, this is a a relatively slim laptop. The lid of the laptop is a tiny bit thicker than normal, but I would think that is due to the additional touch layer.

The monitor is decent, not great. Because it is a reflective TN panel, the viewing angles are rather finicky, especially vertically. Definitely not a cutting-edge, matte-finish, greater than HD panel. This panel is more akin to the panels we've had about 2-5 years ago. At 1366x768, or just above 720p resolutions, it's not bad. Colors are decent, and offer a decent level of contrast. Overall, the screen itself is meh. The touchscreen aspect, though, is very responsive and accurate. There is a slight imprint/comet trail that appears when you touch the screen--which appears to a way to provide visual feedback to the user. My fat finger hides most of it, but it's a nice little touch, no pun intended. There doesn't appear to be any liquid layer displacement. I personally don't use the touch screen very much, but it is a nice feature to have, especially in Metro.

The keyboards are of the chiclet variety. It does come with the ten-key numberpad--15.6" form factors generally do. Not much to say, here, I think we are pretty familiar with chiclet keys now. The touchpad is multi-touch. So you can use two finger tap for right click. You can two finger swipe to scroll. Once again, no complaints here. The touchpad is made of a nice frictionless material and it is nice and roomy. It does have two physical buttons for left and right clicking.

Although it does have the newest Haswell chips, battery life isn't spectacular. On power saver mode, you can get almost 5 hours on light browsing. In balanced mode, you are more likely to get around 2.5 hours. The problem here isn't the CPU, it's the battery. This laptop comes with a rather small battery--2800mAh. That's about the same as my Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

This is a really solid laptop at this price range. Lenovo definitely had to cut some corners to come in at this price point, but if you want a cheap 15.6" laptop, then this is a decent option. For an entry-level machine, this laptop is very attractive, sturdy and performs well. The only two gigs are the TN reflective display and the small battery. If they switched to IPS and provided a larger battery, this would definitely be a 5-star product.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm replacing an entry level Compaq about 3 years old with this computer. At that time, the cheapest laptops were around $300, while entry level models that weren't dirt cheap were around $400. This laptop strikes me as a well updated version of the entry level models, while managing to be a bit more expensive, most likely because of the addition of the large touchscreen.

It has everything you need to do most things you'd want to do at home easily. I'm very happy to have HDMI and USB3.0 ports, as well as a standard keyboard and a standard touchpad. As with all laptops, I had to turn off some of the fancier features on the touchpad software to keep it from doing things I don't want it to do. The addition of the number pad means the touchpad has to be off center in order to be centered with the space bar. I believe the processor is a tried and true Intel model, but nothing cutting edge. As usual, more RAM would be the best thing you could do for this computer, but you'll probably have to throw some away to max it out (I'm guessing it can take up to 16GB; please comment if I am wrong about this). It's great to have a 1TB HD built in, but some solid state memory - on its own or as a hybrid drive for programs - would do wonders for this machine. I don't see a place to add it without completely replacing the built in drive.

When I selected and purchased the high end Lenovo X220 for work a few years ago, all the reviews raved about it, but each and every professional review mentioned they were disappointed in the looks (old skool IBM ThinkPad style), claiming that it wasn't sexy (yes, at least one actually used the word sexy). This computer, although not a contender for the high end work laptop market, makes a change in classic ThinkPad appearance in order to appeal to those seeking a sexy computer. It looks fairly modern, but it does not look super expensive and it won't make you cool. This doesn't bother me in the least.

Windows 8 and this computer.

By the way, you don't NEED the touchscreen to run Windows 8. Microsoft wants people to use their operating system on both their computer and their phone. This idea is understandable, as all the big companies are trying to get ALL your business, not just a portion of it. But it gets annoying really quick when there are so many preloaded and "pushed" apps that won't let you use them until you make an account, which in turn makes it easy to spend money in their respective markets. They also want so badly to host your information in the cloud, when it's more secure properly stored locally in most cases. Frankly, for a laptop, I don't use a touchscreen, and I don't want it to act like my phone or my tablet. Luckily, after about two hours of playing with settings, I was able to get this working 98% like Windows 7, which makes me fairly happy.

Apparently, all Lenovos include some app that replicates a Windows button in your taskbar (on your desktop, which does exist, but you have to first find it) so you can basically bypass all those "app squares" and just run the computer like a computer (I am a young guy on the brink of being a computer nerd, btw, so this is not coming from an old guy resistant to change. I just like classic technologies that work well, while shiny things don't easily impress me...). To summarize, if this will be your first Win8 machine and it that fact worries you...don't worry, you can fix it to your liking with some patience.

I'm a picky guy who always has plenty to complain about, so don't be startled by this long list:

- New proprietary power input. Although the rectifier is the same one that comes with most Lenovos that I've seen, it now has a new connector, meaning I can't just use my existing docking stations and other power bricks. That's annoying. More annoying is that they probably did this to be "hip" like Apple (which, to be clear, I do not find hip).

- To augment this, most cheaper laptop batteries start to lose capacity after a while, which will eventually keep you tethered to a wall; time with tell with this model, but if my theory holds out, it'll be even more of an obstacle to not have additional rectifier packs laying around; you'll have to haul the power block around with the computer when you move it.

- In all this trying to look sexy, they had to make the top as large as the bottom and integrate the hinge (like an Apple). But now when I sit cross legged on the couch with this on my lap, the two rear corners dig uncomfortably into my legs, which is a problem I do not have with other computers. The fairly large size exacerbates that small issue.

- And about the size, it's a bit larger than it has to be to accommodate the size of the screen and keyboard (even with number pad). Like, you can see unused space around the screen, and the bezel is larger than necessary as well. When I pick it up by the front, already open, with one hand, the weight of it makes it flex slightly. My old Compaq did this as well, but lower weight and a stronger feel would always be appreciated.

Despite my list of (minor) annoyances and the fact that this will never be a high end business or gaming computer, it is a pretty solid, useable, and configurable home machine. With the exception of solid state memory, it appears to have all the basics covered and hopefully will not become outdated because of missing ports or features any time too soon. I like that mine looks classic enough to sit in my living room, works well enough to do browsing and downloading at home without hassle, and that I can play with Windows 8's new interface, apps, and touchscreen at my leisure should I become bored (who knows, I may later decide that I cannot live without these things). I would recommend it for someone in the market for a new home computer.
on June 23, 2014
I'm NOT a techie in any sense of the word, so this review is written by a layman, with layman's expectations of a solid, serviceable machine. I bought this computer to replace a six year old Dell Vostro 1510, which served me well and faithfully until the updates for the programs it was running overwhelmed its 4GB of RAM. This computer, the Lenovo G510s Touch, is not as good in any respect. It didn't ACTUALLY fall apart, so I'm not giving it one star, but it's close. I'm returning it and looking for another brand.

The computer is HEAVY. That might not be a problem if it's a desktop replacement, but not for a computer which is intended for mobile use (and, after all, isn't that the point of a laptop?).
The trackpad and buttons are sluggish to respond. I MIGHT be able to come up with an excuse for this - they want you to use the touchscreen interface, so that's where they spent their money - but that's still a piece that's going to break before its time.
The workmanship is just plain flimsy - EVERY part of the case flexes alarmingly. The keyboard flexes up and down with the slightest touch. The protector between the keys isn't anchored around the edges of the depressed keypad area.
The optical drive isn't anchored or protected within the side of the computer, and it moves up and down and side to side even in the locked position. It sits right where I put my hand to pick it up, and I was afraid that one of these days I would tear it out by accident.
The center bottom edge of the screen housing flexes back and forth if you press on it even slightly (as if, for example, you were holding it in one hand in the middle).
The housing around the camera was not hooked together when I got the computer - I had to snap it into place around the edges of the screen.
The worst part, though, is the hinge mechanism. As I flex the screen back and forth, the hinge catches on the edges of the base housing (around the vent and power port) and snaps it open and closed. Opening and closing the screen flexes the BOTTOM cover of the computer, as if the hinge isn't anchored properly inside the machine.

The OS isn't bad. I got rid of most of the extras which make Windows 8 okay for mobile devices and ridiculous for computers, made it more like Windows 7. It's fast, downloads programs and files quickly, and can handle the tasks which brought my old computer to its knees (simultaneous use of Excel, Word, Chrome, OneNote, Windows Explorer and an audio analysis program). But the issues with the case are a dealbreaker for me.

All of this adds up to a machine which will disintegrate too quickly and too easily. I want a computer which will stand the test of time, not break apart in my hands.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My first computer was a Commodore 64; that's 64k as in 64 kilobytes of ram; it sold for $595 in the early 80's. I remember in the mid 90's when I saw an advertisement for a computer with a 1GB hard drive and I was shocked that so much space could be in one computer. Now here's a 1TB hard drive in a laptop, which is almost 1,000 gigabytes! Plus 6GB of ram; mind boggling to me! And the price is less than I paid for the Commodore 64.

This is my introduction to Lenovo and I'm pretty impressed. This is a sturdy, good looking laptop with a 15.6" widescreen and the screen doesn't "disappear" when looked at from the side. To me the screen is super thin (1/4" maybe); I'm use to them being much thicker. It is, however, pretty heavy for lugging around (almost 6 pounds). The laptop has fallen off the stand and didn't skip a beat, thank goodness.

The setup took a while installing Windows 8.1 (which is much better than Windows 8 even though it still takes some getting use to). During the install it found another computer in the house on the network and asked if I wanted to set up this computer the same as that one or separately. I would suggest if that happens to set it up separately because I set it up like the other one and found that all the exact programs and wallpaper that I had on that one was now on this one, and I did not want all of that. I found out the Windows program called OneDrive syncs both computers so they're exactly the same, so I ended up signing into my Microsoft account and changing that.

At the beginning I received a message that being plugged in at over 70% of battery was not recommended and to enable "Conservation Mode" in settings. To do that type in "energy manager" on the start screen (when the screen shows up start typing; there doesn't need to be a place to type in). In settings on Energy Manager I clicked on Conservation Mode and now the battery stays charged at 55-60%. I can't tell yet whether that's helping the battery performance or not.

For those of you familiar with Windows 8; Windows 8.1 does not come on with the start screen and all the icons like Windows 8, although you can click on the icon on the lower left of the task bar to open the start screen. Also, when a program is newly installed it does not show up on the start screen like it previously did in Windows 8. I had to research to find out that to open a new program go to the start screen and at the bottom left is a down arrow; click on that and it will show you the programs installed. If you want to put one on the start screen right click on it and either pin to start or pin to taskbar. I had a heck of a time finding a game I had downloaded until I searched Google to find out where it was. I also downloaded a game at the Windows store that I thought was for the PC and it ended up being for the Xbox. After that the computer froze up and that's the only time in over a month that I actually had to turn it off using the power button. :-(

There are a few Lenovo programs that come on it that may or may not be beneficial. Lenovo Photos I thought was a photo manager but it's actually an online printing service. There's a program called Lenovo VeriFace, a face recognition program that scans a face by webcam in order to authenticate Windows users. Lenovo PowerDVD10 is a universal player for movies, home videos and digital music. Lenovo Reach is a cloud storage service and Lenovo Solution Center lets users identify the status for system health, network connections and overall system security.

The one thing I do not like about this laptop is the touchy touchpad. I'm a person who loves touchpads but on this one I haven't seemed to get the right sensitivity; I've changed it from a light to heavy touch many times. I don't know if it's because I don't hit exactly the right spot on the touchpad. This touchpad also has separate buttons below for right and let clicks which I didn't realize at first and have to get use to. And yes, it is a touch screen which works great but I'm usually sitting too far away to use that, although when I get frustrated with the touch pad I remember I can actually touch the screen, lol.

I have watched lots of Amazon Prime Instant Video movies and they play seamlessly without any interruptions. The laptop does get warm playing a movie but hasn't over-heated. I installed a 10 year old game (Far Cry) and once I put it in compatibility mode for WindowsXP it worked great. I have downloaded some games from the Windows store and they work fine. Some people have mentioned this is not a gaming machine, but for me and most of the games out there I think it's awesome (it does have 6GB of ram after all). I'm not a heavy gamer, however, and don't have a bunch of brand new Windows games that require a huge graphics card.

The battery life is not very good; when watching an Amazon Instant Video I've gotten a message before the end of a two-hour movie that I need to plug it in, and it was fully charged when I started the movie. I'm typing this on my new Lenovo IdeaPad (and I haven't had any problems with the keyboard). I'd have to give it 4 1/2 stars; 1/2 a star taken off for the touchpad and battery life. Other reviewers have detailed the technical "stuff" so I wanted to give you my personal experience. I hope this review helps you make a decision; if you have questions, feel free to comment and I'll try my best to answer; thank you. :-)

7/15 update: I said to my hubby today that I didn't know what I did before having this laptop. I installed another game - "Alice", a 2000 game, which runs perfectly when using WindowsXP compatibility mode. I've been watching Amazon Instant Video almost daily on it and both the picture and sound are great. :-) I rarely use my Windows 7 laptop now (which cost more than this one).
VINE VOICEon June 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First the major negative aspect I found:
The keyboard is made of very cheap and thin plastic; the keys have no dercernible pressure point, and the sound they make is a horrible clacking noise. There is no way to type fast on this keyboard, and even slow deliberate typing is a painful experience.
On the other hand, the outer casing of this laptop is made of sturdy and strong plastic, which makes the laptop quite lightweight. That is one of the major advantages, as well as the big screen which has very good color rendition, brightness, and sharpness. The other technical specs are acceptable - this laptop is no burner, but for general household use it will certainly suffice. But you better make sure to have a wall outlet in reach, because the battery is not the strongest and will give you, depending on the usage of course, no more than five hours of life. That is clearly the trade-off for the big screen and could be expected. But the deal breaker for me would be the sub-standard keyboard - and yes, Windows 8 is supposed to be operated with your fingers, I know. But what do you do when working in Word or Excel? Wouldn't you want a good keyboard to assist you to type in numbers and letters? Me too ...
on August 8, 2014
Regular guy's review:

I read up on lots of reviews and did lots of research before buying this Lenovo S510 Touchscreen. The only other laptop that could match the specs for the price range (Under $600) was a Dell Inspiron i3542-6666BK. So I went with the Lenovo because of the better product reviews and I felt the Lenovo had a better brand image.

I've had the laptop for 2 weeks now, and I use it for an around the house laptop. General internet browsing, streaming, some gaming (nothing to system strenuous) and I do like to run lots of programs or multiple tabs. So here is the straight truth, no personal bias or loyalty towards any brand of laptop or OS system.

- Great price ($530) for 6GB RAM, 2.5 GHz i5 processor, w/ 1 TB Hard drive.
- Touchsreen works well because it's glass
- Battery works better than expect still (4-5 hours on battery saver w/ average internet and apps use)
- Overall speed is good, not blazing fast by any means, but excellent for an average user
- Not a lot of bloatware preinstalled
- Looks good, not a cheap feeling. Plastic case is made to look like brushed metal
- Sturdy feel to it, keyboard and screen don't flex like on some others
- Has a DVD/RW drive, not many laptops do anymore
- Runs cool and quiet

- Did not come with a full version of Microsoft Office (only a limited trial)
- Screen has lots of glare unless the brightness is all the way up (definitely not an outdoor laptop)
- Touchpad is a little finicky, and left centered (works for me since I'm a lefty)
- Pointed edges so can dig into you if you rest in your legs or whatever

Other Thoughts:
- Since it's a 15.6 inch and not a high end, it does weigh a little more (6lbs)
- Touch is great for the Windows 8.1 tiles and makes navigating around a hell of a lot easier
- Speakers work well, you can get a nice clean sound that's pretty loud. However they are on the front bottom edge so you can easily muffle some of the sound if you rest the laptop in your lap
- The viewing angle is directly affected by how much glare you have. (Darker to normal light room = great angle and brighter room or outside = no view angle)

You can't beat the specs and overall satisfaction of this laptop for $500. Phones cost more than this now!

- Pete
on July 18, 2014
Many of the reviews here about the construction of the laptop are legitimate. Casing needs to be popped into place after arrival, the laptop does flex more than you'd expect. All that being said, it's much more durable than many of the reviews claim.

I purchased this laptop to replace my V570 (something in the motherboard that tells the computer it's charging melted) and I've been mostly satisfied. The first thing I did was run a game. I had several issues on low graphic where the laptop ran out of memory (I was also running Skype and Chrome in the background).

I pulled the 4GB memory chip out of my V570 and replaced the 2GB chip in this one mostly because I had it and I could. The laptop now runs that game maximum graphics with extra programs running in the background including Skype and Chrome. I would even say it's worth purchasing a memory chip specifically for this. (Windows 8 takes up a lot more memory per program running.)

Touch screen responsive; programs run as they should; 0 errors, freezes, or slow spells. I would like to be able to change filters on the webcam more.

There's also something with the speakers: if you are running multiple programs playing audio at the same time (e.g., Spotify and Game), one of the audio programs will have lower sound quality briefly (e.g., when Spotify switches to the next song, there's less bass to it for the first few seconds). There's no way to keep this from happening. That being said, the speakers are significantly better than my experience with any other Lenovo. They're located on the bottom front of the laptop rather than up by the screen where I'm used to.

The battery is small. I keep mine plugged in.

Comes with 8.1; good OS.

Can't say much about trackpad other than that I had to disable it because palm detection wasn't particularly great. I use mainly the touchscreen and a wireless mouse.

USB slots are VERY sturdy. In fact, I had trouble taking my wireless mouse port out because there's so little grip to it.

The function keys (F1-F12) are Fn keys on this laptop with the various other function buttons (volume and brightness control, screen witching, airplane mode, disable/enable trackpad, refresh) are the default keys. Not used to this. They make sense, though. (Close window is F4 correlating to Alt F4, refresh is F5...)

The keyboard is good but it took some getting used to after my last laptop. Not better or worse; just responds differently. Num Lock and Caps Lock keys have lights on the keys themselves saying they're active rather than somewhere else.

I like the texture of the casing. Only complaint is the edges your wrists may rest on are a little sharper than comfortable.

I'm more than satisfied with this laptop.
on September 15, 2014
I bought this laptop for my daughter who needed it for school - she is technology savvy and has used various computers, laptops before. Delivery was very efficient . Unfortunately after she used it for two days the laptop ceased to function and would neither turn on nor would the battery charge. It is now with a Lenovo agent who has had to order necessary parts for this brand new laptop - my daughter has been unable to use the laptop for two weeks and it will be a further two weeks before we know whether the laptop will work. Depending on how the issue is resolved I will re-submit the review; sadly for now I cannot give it a better rating as the item is not working.
on September 4, 2014
There is some issue with the charging in the laptop. Even when the charger is plugged into the laptop, the icon on the right down corner of the screen says, 'plugged in and not charging'. Have tried everything I know to solve it, but to no avail. The laptop works only when the charger is put on. As soon as the charger is plugged out, the screen switches off automatically. It is strange given the fact that the laptop is brand new and no outside application or anything has been installed in it as yet. Not happy with this outcome.
on September 8, 2014
This laptop is nothing but a headache. First it says it's a touchscreen, it won't work and now my son can't even do his school work because either its doing something stupid or crazy all together. I emailed the customer services and they told me to contact the manufacturer, yes as if we all have time dealing with different people, so now the laptop is in the computer shop and cost me another over $100, how's that for a good company? I should have gone to walmart and got him the $300 and maybe work better.