5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet.
Published on September 26, 2012 by Michael C. Doman Sr.

3.0 out of 5 stars good hardware, some software problems
Published 12 months ago by RJJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet., September 26, 2012
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad G780 21823DU 17.3-Inch Laptop (Dark Brown) (Personal Computers)
I've only had this for a few days but this seems to be a quality machine. I've owned 6 computers so far, 2 desktops and 3 laptops before this, and this seems to blow them all away. It has a button you can push that will take it back to the original factory settings, the same as the day I received it. Which is fine for me as I always have important things backed up on disks anyway. It is blistering fast and the 17 inch display is excellent. I called tech support the day I received it and was on the phone with someone who spoke english as well as I do in under a minute, who answered everyone of my questions and walked me through everything I needed. This is my first experience with Lenovo and I'm really liking this product and this company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the lot, December 23, 2012
I've had no less then half-a-dozen notebooks in my lifetime. This Lenovo G780 tops them all.
It powers up in a flash and has many pre-loaded Lenovo helps. One of the best is the Lenovo Solution Center.

It came with 6GB of ram and I quickly upgraded it to 16GB. I know, specs say only 8GB maximum but not true. The two sticks of 8GB installed like a breeze and was instantly recognized.
The keyboard is large enough to be comfortable/not crowded. Keys have a definite snap to them making them ease to use.

The only quirk I don't like is the touch pad seems to get in the way when it's active...moving the cursor at random if you accidentally brush your thumb across it. Ah! Easily solved by hitting the Function Key and F6 to turn off the pad. Once the machine 'wakes' from sleep, the pad is active again.

I use a wireless mouse however; if you wish to use the touch pad, it operates flawlessly. ..very sensitive, and large enough to have full the range of control.

Getting inside the machine to replace or upgrade is a snap. One panel exposes most of the 'workings', no more "This little panel here or this little panel there"

That lovely 17inch screen is near HD quality. I watch movies a lot and with a set of Bose headsets, it's better than being at the theater.

This is one of the best. Buy it and you won't have any regrets.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly Well-Rounded, December 26, 2012
A laptop is an important purchase, so this is an extensive review:

I am a freshman student in college, and my old laptop was just not keeping up with the workload. Admittedly, it was a five year old Toshiba Satellite, so it was high time for it to retire. I spent weeks researching laptops. I wanted certain things I was not going to settle. In the end, I went with the Lenovo G780.

At first, I was a little skeptical of the dark brown color, but when I opened the box, I saw that it was beautiful. Just a shade lighter than dark chocolate. The design is sleek for a 17.3 inch laptop yet I don't feel like it will snap in half like some other models I saw in stores. The screen is huge and the brightness is easily adjustable-- something my roommate will appreciate when I'm writing papers at one o'clock in the morning.

Another thing my roommate will appreciate are the keys; compared to standard keyboards and the keyboard of my Toshiba, it is relatively quite. I type at over 60 words a minute without even trying so I need a good keyboard to keep up with me. The G780 definitely does. The AccuType keys are curved and made of a matte type plastic, which is wonderful after having to type on sleek, sticky keys that left my fingerprints all over them. They are also well spaced and large-- I always hated keyboards where the backspace button is just an arrow, which is not the case here. It also has a number pad, one of my requirements for a laptop.

Really, the entire system is quiet, even upon start up. I was so used to the annoying hum of the fans working at full speed and the click of a touchpad's buttons that this is practically silent. The touchpad itself is large and slightly textured, with the edge scroll being uniquely textured so I don't have to look down to see if I am touching the right spot to scroll. Maybe this is a common attribute of touchpads, but I could adjust just about everything on it, from what a two finger tap means to what a three finger swipe does. If you aren't used to the mouse holding onto something until you click again(like a window you tried to move or a scroll bar you just used) it can also be changed.

One of my biggest fears was that the OneKey Rescue System, which puts the computer back to factory settings, would be a part of the keyboard and that I would hit it on accident. I have everything backed up on an external hard drive, but I was still a little hesitant. Don't be worried though. The OneKey Rescue system is near the power button and is slightly indented into the computer, so you really have to try to push it for it to work.

Down to the actual system itself. Of course, like all computers running Windows 7 Home Premium, there is a start menu and such. I actually looked for Windows 7 over 8 because I didn't want to use that launch pad or whatever it was. When the computer boots, it took 51 seconds. (I know this because there is a program that helps you optimize the booting system. It was so fast!) And when you open the laptop after it goes to sleep, the lock screen pops up before you can blink. My old laptop was running Intel Core i3, so this is so much faster than what I expected.

I'm not one for gaming, so I can't really say how well this holds up on that end, but I have been running several programs at once like photo editing software, Itunes, Google Chrome (with several tabs), and Microsoft Word. There have been no freezes or anything like that. However, I do like watching movies and streaming videos and such, and this computer holds up well. I did run into a problem with Netflix, but I just needed to run Google Chrome as an administrator for it to work. Also, YouTube and Hulu videos were coming up green and splotchy. All I had to do was right click, hit settings, and disable the hardware acceleration. That happened to me on the other computer though. The speakers are on the edge near the touchpad, underneath the computer. It works well despite the weird positioning, without any skipping. In face, I can lift the computer and dance around with it without the sound skipping.

I would give the web camera a 10/10. The video quality is super high; I swear I could practically see the pores on my face with that thing. It even has the desktop capture thing that lets you record what you are doing on your own screen, kind of like those how-to videos. You can put up a whole bunch of fun effects and there is a link to directly put videos and such on Facebook from the web camera software.

Really, there is nothing bad that I can say about this laptop, except for maybe that the charger is a little short, which is easily fixed with an extension cord. Beyond that, it is a perfectly lovely laptop for what it is designed for. It is a little too large to be super easily portable; you'll need a bag or backpack to carry it around, not a little purse. If you are looking for a well rounded computer that has all the power of a desktop, this is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo Review, September 19, 2012
david bublitz (Montello, WI, US) - See all my reviews
Have had this Laptop for a month now. I simply love it. I have no complaints except one. It came with Macafee. I had Norton 360 that I wanted to put on this machine. Just could not get it too install. Norton tried and tried and tried. No luck. In fact they messed it up trying to fix it that I used the feature that came with this unit - the 1 key restore.

This is awesome - if your pc does not load or you get a problem. Just shut it off - press the 1 key button next to the power button and will restore your pc to factorey state. Now you will lose everything but hey - if you use have files that are important you should save them to an external drive anyone.

I bought acronis software and that backs up my whole pc - but I love this PC

OH one thing I do hate - it is a fingerprint magnet.....get ready to wipe it down constantly

Oh, by the way - I was successful in upgrading this model to Windows 8 - I like Windows 8! The PC boots up faster - runs fine. Make sure you run the Windows Upgrade tool but I had no problems. I don't know if my one key recovery will work - guess I will have to wait and see. Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars everything ok, October 20, 2012
I bought one with slightly higher spec 8gb RAM
Take 40 sec to resume from hibernating state
60 + 15 to boot
Monitor not as colorful as my other cheaper Asus
Freeze randomly for 2,3 sec

Otherwise no problem, a jack of all trade.
Scroll and type well!

I think next time I'll buy an Entertainment Asus and see

3.0 out of 5 stars good hardware, some software problems, February 21, 2014
Good quality and appearance. Slim for a 17" machine. Has plenty of memory and runs programs pretty fast at least for my basic needs. Compatible with all my accessories (wireless mouse, cameras, printer etc.). Has a problem with downloads. The vendors had to log on and install Office and Norton. Still haven't managed to set up automatic back-up. Won't shut down properly, it gets stuck on Microsoft downloads.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo IdeaPad G780, June 5, 2013
Bought this laptop for a friend and was happy with the reviews obtained to its sleek design, fast processor and larger memory and hard disks.

5.0 out of 5 stars great machine, October 14, 2012
Received my Lenovo 17" lap top and it has lived up to all of the expectations that I had.
Plugged it in and it was so easy to get started I almost turned it off to find out what I did wrong. This is all that I was looking for and plenty fast.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo IdeaPad G780 21823DU 17.3-Inch Laptop (Dark Brown), September 7, 2012
Recieved the Lenovo IdeaPad G780 21823DU 17.3-Inch Laptop (Dark Brown) in good time, and it was well packaged. Unfortunately the DVD/CD player was not recognized by the Windows 7 operating system. Also the DVD/CD player was not secured in the laptop. Apparently a single screw holds the two together, and it was not installed.

Took the computer to an Lenovo authorized repair shop to be repaired under warranty - it was only three days old. Two days later we were told Lenovo would not pay for the repair!!!

We did not even ask how much the repair would cost. If Lenovo can't stand by their warranty for even one screw, we were not interested in keeping their computer.

While we had the computer, it performed admirably, the screen was sharp, hooked up to our wireless easily, etc. Just no DVD/CD player.

We returned the defective computer to Amazon, no problem - I cannot praise Amazon enough for holding up their end. If you order one we hope you don't get ours. We have since ordered a Dell Inspiron i17R-2105SLV 17-Inch Laptop (Silver). The Dell Inspiron i17R-2105SLV 17-Inch Laptop (Silver) so far has performed flawlessly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, March 2, 2014
Not 5 stars because of the bloatware included. Also, took extra effort to partition the hard disk the way I wanted, because of the way it was originally partitioned.