4.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop for the price, good laptop in general
The last laptop I bought was several years ago and cost me over a grand, it was a performance gaming laptop and now I think that everything on this Ideapad outperforms it, minus the video card.

Pros:
Extremely light (I've already dropped it once and chipped a small part, the lightness contributed to the lack of more damage)

Windows 8(.1) is...
Published 12 months ago by Joseph Corrie Stroup

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't recommend
Not a terrible laptop, but the technology is old and a little sluggish at times. The fan noise on this was continuous by design but also unbearable so I returned it
Published 9 months ago by Justin Rovida

4.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop for the price, good laptop in general, January 17, 2014
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad S415 59385549 14-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (Silver Gray) (Personal Computers)

Pros:

Windows 8(.1) is really fun and after being used to a desktop and a tablet, this touchscreen laptop feels like a great combination of the two

Very quiet - some reviews have remarked about how you can hear the fan constantly; well, you can. But it's so quiet it doesn't bother me. After my desktop being the beast it is and my old laptop sounding like a huge turbine, the little noise this makes is negligible.

Matte finish - This may seem like a little thing, but after my last glossy laptop, it's such an utter relief to have a matte finish.

Cons:
Windows 8(.1) - It's riddled with inconsistencies with the hardware and that's not Lenovo's fault at all. My "720p camera" only functions at .9MP at the moment because of a driver issue between the camera and Windows 8.1

Not quite as snappy as I'd like - with a 2.0 quadcore, I imagined it would be a little more snappy than it is (not that it's slow)

Track pad is also ON the mouse buttons - I don't know WHO thought it was a good idea, but because the clickable buttons are also part of the track pad, I get frustrated VERY frequently when I'm trying to click on things and the mouse gets confused. I'm thinking about putting electrical tape on the buttons to solve this. You shouldn't have to jury-rig a touchpad to work, Lenovo.

Verdict:
All in all, for what I pad for it and what I got it for (office work and school work), this laptop is a great deal. I haven't tried low-key gaming yet, but I don't think that will be too much of a problem; most of the games I play have engines that are over a decade old.

If you're getting this for a child in high school, a college student, an office worker, an older person, or anyone who just needs a good, reliable machine for working on, watching videos on, listening to music on and staying connected on, this is the device for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, November 22, 2013
I'm very happy with my new Lenovo IdeaPad. It has a nice feel, screen brightness is great, touchpad can be very "touchy". It is fast and sound quality is fine for my needs. It does come with A LOT of "bloat ware" that took me awhile to get off and Windows 8 does take a bit of time to find everything, but the OS has nothing to do with Lenovo, or this model laptop. I would definitely recommend this one. Great deal for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. My laptop came in 1 day and I payed for prime free 2 day delivery., March 26, 2014
Touch Screen , Display and Audio work great. Perfect for Windows 8, which comes with an updated 8.1 for free. If you want your desktop mode to function like Windows 7 or earlier, Google Classic Shell and download it. There are videos on youtube for full instructions. Type in Make Windows 8 like Windows 7. It is free. You can donate if you want to. Doesn't come with a dvd or blue ray drive. I have a dvd drive with a VLC player that my friend downloaded for me. It will cost $20-$30. Don't buy the blue ray player for this device sold on Amazon for $40, because it won't work. You need one compatible for Windows 8, which will cost around $100 . This is a good laptop for browsing the internet, watching youtube or netflix, and basic functions. Watch out for free streaming Websites because they can give you a virus. If you get a virus, don't call a technician, unless you can afford $200. I bought squaretrade insurance for about $88 and that covers accidental breaking or hardware issues for a year. They also can fix any software problem for $25. If your laptop slows down from viruses and your internet doesn't work you should use the onekey recovery, and it will restore your computer to default settings. Good buy for $445.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Low Cost Laptop, February 28, 2014
This laptop is perfect for what I need - small, light, low cost computing. I am a freelance photographer and I submit photos after a shoot to the newspaper. My old laptop is several years old, heavy, hot and a little sluggish. This laptop, although not as highly polished or expensive as a MacBook, does what I need, runs well (after I uninstalled the various bits of trial software that come pre-installed) and upgraded to Windows 8.1. I'm becoming very comfortable with Windows 8.1, and appreciate that the interface is the same as on my Surface tablet. I also like that all my settings are automatically kept from my old laptop - like my internet connections, email accounts, etc. Everything was there when I logged in. Very nice.

The keyboard is a good size - but everyone has to get used to things like the feel of the keyboard individually. I turned off tapping on the touchpad (like I always do) and that works fine now.

Not sure if there's anything I really don't like - but all touch screen laptops suffer from the minor problem of the screen being heavier than the keyboard - so the tablet can be a little top heavy. This laptop seems pretty well balanced though.

So far I'm liking this laptop very much. If anything happens or anything changes I'll update this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop for the price, but needs some tweaks, April 4, 2014
Waaay too much bloatware that had to uninstalled. All the drivers were out of date and needed updating. Windows 8 had to be updated to windows 8.1 All of this was quite a time consuming task so I haven't really had a chance to enjoy the computer.
But....
it's quiet
Speakers are loud
It's light
Battery life is average
No wifi card issues
Touch screen works. Read some reviews that says it's not really touch screen but mine seems to work fine

Wish it had a back lit keyboard. ...

It does what it's supposed to do. For the price I wasn't expecting anything grand just something functional. Will update in the future if anything changes. If you want a cheap, functional laptop and you're not looking for any bells and whistles this is the one to get

4.0 out of 5 stars good laptop for nothing crazy, December 28, 2013
got this for my mother. put a SSD harddrive in it for her. uninstalled all the bloat. shes happy. resolution isnt the greatest but for her no biggie. she loves how thin it is and so do i. perfect size laptop. the keyboard works very well. that is all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't recommend, April 3, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, November 23, 2013
Nice computer. Compact and fast enough for browsing and email. I use it as a testing machine for web development and it works great for that purpose. Touch screen is nice but not particularly useful. Only downside is the batter life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, January 28, 2014
For the price point, this laptop has great value. It's study, fast, and has a nice touchscreen. I'm very impressed with Lenovo so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, March 28, 2014
I seriously love this computer. It's super easy to use and I really like the set up with the apps and such. It's also really light, which is another reason I purchased it. I'm only using it for personal use, so I don't get any lag really. I wasn't sure if I wanted/needed or would even use the touch screen, but I do use it and I really like it. It makes it kind of fun. It's just awkward trying to use the touch screen for a long period of time because your arm gets tired, but you can always resort to the mousepad. I don't understand the other reviews claiming Windows 8 is hard to learn. It's pretty straightforward and, I think, makes things more organized and fun to use. For the price, this computer is an awesome deal. Don't let the size of the screen give you any hesitance, it's fine. One drawback is the mousepad sometimes is hard to click things, it can be pretty finicky if what you are trying to click on is small. But its not that big of a deal, you just have to be careful when trying to click. The other is that I feel the battery life isn't that long. It's still several hours, but I would like for it to last longer.

Update: I've had the computer about 2 months now, and sometimes it freezes up. Its really frustrating. Also, sometimes the touch screen freezes/doesn't work. Battery life is pretty bleak