4.0 out of 5 stars Clarification on product description
I believe the other reviews have already described how fast and sleek this machine is and the value that you're getting in a laptop that can actually run modern games and do video editing at this price point. I agree with those sentiments. However, I felt compelled to give potential buyers some more information regarding the product description.

I bought the...
Published 16 months ago by Learning2bdad

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy This Laptop
Published 13 months ago by miketkong

4.0 out of 5 stars Clarification on product description, August 7, 2013
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p 15.6-Inch Laptop (Metal - Dusk Black) (Personal Computers)

I bought the IdeaPad Y510P - Model Name: 20217.

1. This model does come with two NVIDIA 750M video cards in SLI configuration.
2. The 1 TB 5400 RPM hard drive is partitioned into 2 drives. One primary one and a smaller 24gb partition for Lenovo's system backup.
3. This model does NOT come with an on board SSD hard drive to cache windows. I was curious if I could simply buy a small mSata hard drive and install it myself to speed up windows a bit. Upon opening the case, the area where the mSata SSD is supposed to go does NOT contain a connector to plug in an aftermarket mSata drive. The mSata connector/adapter is not soldered onto the board for this model. I'm assuming this is to cut costs. I don't know anything about soldering components to a motherboard so I will eventually replace the 1 TB mechanical hard drive with either the next generation hybrid drive or a SSD for a smoother and faster computing experience.

No regrets on buying this machine. I am happy with the purchase. I just wanted to let potential buyers know what they're getting since the various reviews and product descriptions were a bit unclear if this notebook had a SSD and/or a 2nd video card in SLI or not.

I hope you find this helpful in your laptop buying experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strange Shipments of the Y510P, July 30, 2013
This laptop is labeled without an SSD however, the one I ordered came with a 24gb SSD loaded with the laptop drivers. along with 1TB HDD 5400RPM
Also, The SLI was included making this laptop an extremely good deal at this price. (I was worried at first, the wording is vague)
1x8gb of ram DDR3 were included as stated

Update:
This thing is blazing fast. At first I was slightly dissapointed with the SLI performance. But after i updated the video drivers through the NVIDIA website, I was getting 30-40% better fps
Skyrim with 22 graphic enhancing mods and ultra video settings -> 60fps
Rift Ultra settings -> 60fps
Bioshock infinite ultra settings with a few high tweaks due to some broken features -> 55fps

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy This Laptop, November 12, 2013
miketkong (San Diego, CA) - See all my reviews
As someone that relies heavily on being able to connect to the internet, this laptop is a huge pain and a major obstacle to productivity as it disconnects me from networks every few minutes. This is straight out of the box, brand new. The problem is well documented by users of the machine while it is not acknowledged by Lenovo (search y510p connection problems). I've spent hours troubleshooting the network settings for the settings on the laptop such as the drivers for both the wireless network card (Intel wireless N2230) as well as the Operating System drivers as well as the network itself, from the wireless router to the modem, to the settings and drivers for each network component and this laptop remains the only device on the network that can't maintain a connection out of an Apple Air, multiple iPhones and iPads, PS3, Wii, wireless printer, etc. You'd think that when you buy something brand new it would work--at least be able to connect and stay connected to the internet--assuming that you had a stable connection to begin with (which I do), but that's not the case. A quick Google search for y510p connection problems will show you that I'm not the only one--and to be honest, I wouldn't want to use this laptop even if it was free because of the connectivity issues. This problem makes using it a frustrating headache. I wanted to like it, I tried to like it, I thought that my experience with computer software and hardware would allow me to fix it even though it shouldn't have been broken in the first place, but after almost 3 months of using it I feel compelled to warn potential buyers of this connectivity issue because they deserve better. Buy something that works. Unless you don't want to. The choice is yours.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop but defective WiFi card, August 13, 2013
I had this laptop for about a week before I was forced to return it. This thing is a beast for a great price and I was so excited to use it but after a few days the internet started to randomly drop and I had to keep reconnecting. I tried everything imaginable to fix it, from making sure the drivers were up to date to reformatting the hard drive and everything in between.

There is apparently an issue with this laptops WiFi card according to others who have had similar problems on the Lenovo forums. Their remedy is basically to make sure the drivers are up to date, which I did. It is also apparently impossible or very hard to install another wireless card because of the way the laptop is set up.

I really wanted to keep this laptop but because part of the main reason I bought it was to use for an upcoming deployment, I can't take the chance that the wireless issues will work themselves out with a future fix and risk losing communication with my family for an extended period of time.

Overall, this would have been an excellent laptop for the price if not for the issues that I came across with the WiFi card.

2.0 out of 5 stars wifi card defective, August 31, 2013
I bought this laptop for my son who is starting college. The wifi connects only intermittently. After reading other posts on the companies forum, it appears this is a common problem for which there is no easy fix.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite Impressed, May 6, 2014
I have had my Lenovo y510p for 8 months now and I am so far very pleased with it. There are some discrepancies in the description versus what I bought, but the only differences are that my machine was $999 and came with a 1080p screen. I had been watching the deals on the y510p all last summer and snagged one up when I saw a good price.

Pros: GORGEOUS screen (I get comments all the time from jealous friends on how nice, sharp, and bright it is), soft keys (makes typing papers a breeze), and an all around fast machine.

Cons: Finger print magnet and poor trackpad. The case really does attract quite a few finger prints, but they come off quite easily with a soft cloth (I just use a cloth meant for eyeglasses and it works well). The trackpad is really lackluster, but I mainly use a mouse with the computer so it doesn't both me much, but if you mainly use a trackpad you might want to invest in something else.

I would highly recommend this computer. I use my computer very frequently, mainly for school and gaming, and this fits the bill. It has no problem running most games in the upper-quality settings. I don't play too intense games, but it lets me play LoL and Skyrim on max settings without a problem. Running 10+ tabs on a browser, iTunes, MS Word, and a slew of Adobe programs under load all at once and it never bats and eye. I use the always-on usb port more than I thought I would and it has turned out to be a nice extra feature. The speakers also are very nice for a laptop, although I do mainly use a standalone set of speakers. I would highly recommend this machine. The performance you get for the price is well worth the money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Y510P, good and bad, July 31, 2014
I bought this to take with me traveling for work and for light gaming/video editing. I will start with the bad:

- Its a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Its 15.6" but you really need a 17" sleeve to fit it (and its still tight) as the width is much bigger than other 15" laptops and the bezel is really big around the screen.
- the track pad is really bad. The material its made out of seems to make your fingers "skip" and due to its one piece design the left and right clickers make the mouse move when you try to click them.
- The actual build quality really doesn't feel great to be honest. The biggest worry for me is the casing around the screen. When you push down on the screen when the laptop is closed you notice clear depressions. I would be loading this into a pack with other items placing pressure on the screen and honestly without a solid hard case I dont think I would be able to to trust its durability. I have heard other stories of screens cracking/breaking due to this.
- SLI configuration can give you micro studdering which really can be annoying. Its a downfall of the SLI setup.
- SLI configuration really gets HOT. You may want to consider a cooling pad as it can actually get annoying to your hands
- Battery life is not great but for now thats inherent with gaming PC's, especially with dual graphics.
- Can NOT play games without the charger plugged in. It just does not have the power without it, so take note of that. If you plan to game in a vehicle or something you better have some power solution.
- Lastly, and definitely not least, the wireless card. Its just plain bad. I also have an HP elitebook 840 G1 and have them open at the same time. The wireless on the HP is full bars the whole time while the lenovo skips between full and 2-3 bars. The connection seems really inconsistent and I dont think I would trust it for business.

The good:

- The laptop looks cool, I will give it that.
- The keyboard is nice. I dont necessarily like the cut off shift/backspace/enter keys but I could get over it
- The backlighting is really cool. May be too much for some, but Id prefer too much over not enough. Either way, its effective.
- The screen is pretty nice (especially compared to my HP 720 screen)
- Graphically it does well. It can play the most demanding games at decent settings. I was playing FarCry 3 last night on pretty much the highest settings.
- Although the laptop IS thick, it is thinner than some other gaming laptops (alienware for sure) and its managable. I think the Y410P would be a good compromise.
- I personally dont like windows 8.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, powerful laptop, but..., October 12, 2013
I've had this for a month now, having bought it on the Lenovo site. Mine has the dual graphics card setup, and no DVD drive. Can't say that I miss the drive, and there are cheap USB-based DVD drives available should I need one for a software install.
The processor kicks butt; faster than my quad-core i7 desktop unit from last year on math problems (1 million point matrix inversion using LAPACK). The screen is very nice--on a par with my three year old Macbook Pro. One thing that this computer isn't is portable. It is thick, heavy, and the screen has a border of about an inch of cheezy plastic around it that not only takes up room, but detracts from the otherwise clean, functional look of this laptop. Were that the only thing wrong with it, I would probably still give it 5 stars. The touchpad is a disaster--don't even think about using it for more than setup of the computer. You get random crawling of the cursor across the screen, impossible-to-make double clicks because the cursor moves every time you hit the buttons (left or right), and no amount of driver rollback or sensitivity adjustment in the Elan software will make it go away. Just get a mouse and live with it.
And then there's the power brick. Computing power like this comes at the price of a 3 pound power supply the size of a brick. You can do curls with it for your morning workout in the hotel, but then you probably won't be traveling with this computer much, given the size of it. It doesn't fit in my 15" Targus laptop bag because it is too wide and thick.
Other problems, like the wireless and the Windows 8 Metro user interface, can be dealt with by driver rollbacks and doctoring of the OS. I'd rather not have Win8 on this computer (it isn't a touchscreen after all) and will probably do away with it in the future. Hopefully by then it will have a better touchpad driver to make it a real laptop.
To summarize: If raw computing power is important to you, give this a look. Then decide if the heft and the inconsistent aesthetics bother you. The touchpad is a total loss--but easily worked around.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great gaming laptop for the price, August 10, 2013
Setup
Y510P 750M SLI config 8GB Ram 250GB intel extreme SSD

Summary
Pros:
Dual 750M's
stylish design, red backlighting.
Great keybaord and screen.
Not too bad on weight
Speakers are awesome.
Cons:
Front edge on the laptop feels sharp.
With SLI there can be problems.
THE CPU NOT ACTIVATING TURBO BOOST (biggest con if you couldn't tell ).
Attracts fringerprints.
Does not come with a NGFF connector if you do not get the ssd cache(NGFF is the newer form of MSATA) If you want this get the laptop with an SSD cache.

Experience with laptops.
I buy and refurbish laptops of all kinds. I am coming from an M17x r4 gaming laptop with a 7970m.
I downgraded to this laptop as I never fully utilized the power of my 7970M as I really only play league of legends on my computer but I do alot of CPU intensive programs.

The laptop looks really nice and the keyboard is very nice with a spring behind every key, almost the feel of a mechanical keyboard. The sharp edges on the casing are noticable on the wrists when typing and playing games, this is my biggest flaw with the laptop.
The laptop came with an amazinly bright Matte screen which blew me away with the quality for the price.
The red backlighting is nice although I sometimes miss being able to change the color like on my M17x.
The speakers are very clear and crisp I was very impressed with them.
The exterior design is a nice carbon fiber like look with a nice looking lid with slight jet style curves on the top IE ASUS ROG. The lapop is a fingerprint and oil magnet.
The trackpad that everyone hates, I do not see any issues with it. Yes you must be use to the windows 8 gestures to like it but when you are it is great. I like it much more than my Alienware's trackpad.

Performance.

The laptop performs wonderfully in all day to day tasks. Even without the SSD boot-up time was still acceptable. During CPU intensive programs like compiling and running Verilog programs through large test cases I am noticing the CPU is throttling back down to the 2.2GHZ instead of using the turbo boost feature it comes with. This is very dissapointing.

The graphics setup allows for most games to play nicely, the SLI 750's are very nice but with SLI there can be problems I have had some freezing but it is during the burn in of the graphics card. It has not happened in the last 2 nights of playing games which is a plus. Some programs do not recognize the dual 750's and run with only one gfx card.

3dMark is not recognizing the dual 750's and is giving me a score of 2200 for one card, I am updating to a newer beta driver now to see if this fixes the issue.
Edit: After updating the drivers it still did not work but upon further investigation SLI was turned off in the nvidia control panel after fixed i get over P4000 in Passmark and great gaming performance.

Battery life I can not account for as it has been plugged in as the dual cards only work when plugged in. You have to keep in mind this is a gaming laptop which means battery life will not be as good as an ultrabook or even a standard laptop as it has to run the 750M and this laptop does not have optimus to save battery.

Heat

Honestly the laptop runs much cooler than my alienware even though it hss two graphics cards. The laptop is always kept on a notebook cooler though just because i play on my lap and want the fans propped up. The cooler is not always plugged in becasue I feel it is not as needed as it was before.

I am happy with the laptop and will hopefully fix the 3dMark issues with driver updates.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beast!, August 12, 2013
Sergio (Manassas, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
I ordered this laptop directly from Amazon on Thursday the 8th, and I received it on Saturday the 10th. As others have pointed out, the description is different from what I got, but in good way as I got the version with 1080p screen rather than the 720p screen specified here. And yes it does have dual graphics. No SSD drive though.

Out of the box, the Windows rating were as follows:
Processor 7.6
Memory 7.8
Graphics 7.5 and 7.5
Disk 5.9.

Before I received the laptop though I ordered a OCZ Agility 4 256GB solid state drive. Getting the laptop open and replacing the HDD with the SSD itself was a breeze, however the issue was reloading the OS on the new drive. The problem is that you can't create recovery media like you would with HP or Dell or any other brand computer, you actually have to call Lenovo tech support and order recovery media. While the built-in backup/recovery software is decent, it is useless for hard drive to hard drive transfers. Now I didn't want to call Lenovo tech support and pay whatever they wanted for the recovery media and get it in a week, and then having to go out and buy a DVD drive, that would've been my last resort. Luckily I found a Windows 8 Standard iso (not a cracked or illegal version, just the iso) and used the trial version of PowerISO to create a bootable USB. Then all I had to do was plug the USB drive in and boot from it, then followed the Windows 8 install prompts. Since the Windows key is built into the bios, it automatically activated it. If you try to use Windows 8 Pro here, it will warn you that the key is not compatible with this version, and you don't get the option to put in the Pro key, so if you are thinking of replacing the HDD with an SSD, first you must use a Windows 8 Standard disc/USB and then later upgrade to Pro. I'm planning on doing that since I already have a Pro key.
Now most of the important drivers automatically get installed here, but you still have to go to the Lenovo website to get some of the other drivers and software if you need. I also recommend going to NVIDIA's website to get the latest driver, even though on the NVIDIA website they recommend getting it off Lenovo's website.
Now that I have a fresh clean install of Windows on an SSD without all the bloatware, the laptop boots up in less than 10 seconds. And the Windows rating has even seen a boost:
Processor 7.9
Memory 7.9
Graphics 7.5 and 7.5
Disk 7.6

Hope this review was helpful to anyone thinking about purchasing this and upgrading the hard drive, which I highly recommend anyone buying this laptop does. The mechanical hard drive really bogs this beast of a computer down.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p 15.6-Inch Laptop (Metal - Dusk Black)
$1,099.99 $1,088.00