5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Laptop for the Price
Published on October 12, 2010 by Bala Rajagopalan

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing - don't buy one of these
Published on May 30, 2011 by Robin

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Laptop for the Price, October 12, 2010
This review is from: Lenovo G560 Series 067999U Laptop (Black) (Personal Computers)
If you want a basic laptop with excellent price to performance, this is a good choice. Looks and feels sturdy, minimum flex, relatively light, excellent display (fonts could be sharper), very nice keyboard, DVD writer, and enough RAM (4GB) and HD (320 GB) for normal home use. No HDMI port, weak sound, and no fancy bells and whistles. Battery life seems to be reasonable (3 hrs fully charged on a 6-cell battery). Overall, an excellent value for money, especially compared to similarly configured Dell, Sony, or Toshiba (which cost anywhere from $150 to $250 more).

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Laptop For Productivity, October 31, 2010
I'll keep this review short and sweet. This laptop is perfect for those looking to do every day tasks.

Pros:
1. Great price for performance. Although I upgraded the SSD, which made a significant improvement, even without the laptop is quick.
2. Easy to upgrade, if desired. Removing the back panel reveals the CPU and hard drive bay. Personally I had a 80GB SSD sitting around from my previous laptop so I replaced the 320GB HD with it. Huge improvement, instantaneous loading is FTW.
3. Good battery life. After a few discharges, I'm currently getting ~3 hours of battery life with non-intensive use.

Cons:
1. Headphone static when laptop is plugged in. Not overwhelming but clearly there. Seems to be a common issue with G560's.
2. Laptop charger cord is a little short. Another foot would have been much appreciated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, October 16, 2010
Everything is fine. Looks good. Screen, Keyboard, battery life is good (over 3 hours). Does not get hot however long you use. Lighter than expected. Only the sound quality is a bit dull and low. I would recommend to friends, acquaintances with a tight budget.

5.0 out of 5 stars I shopped ALL around- best choice for the money., March 10, 2011
reflectionmommy "reflectionmommy" (Indianapolis, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Okay- first things first.
This laptop is NOT high end. I am used to that as I am typing on a 6 year old Everex machine that I have pared down to run very smoothly and has never given my any problems that I did not create. SO. I understand low-end, economy, yet I want it to do the max possible for the dollar. This is it in my opinion. Even though it is not top-notch in some areas, what you get for around $400 or so, I feel is WELL worth this small expense.
Some highlights.
Textured plastic case. No fingerprints. Some have remarked negatively about the touchpad. It is textured as well- that may be their issue. So, at first, when you are using it, your finger does not slide easily. It is a matter of pressure as I got used to it within a minute.
It is a dual core Pentium, albeit a basic one. No hyperthreading and some of the other tech that takes basic to WOW. Big HDD for the price- spin speed is 5400 on the HDD. Hmmmmm. As it says- for surfing, burning the occasional disc off, and general computing needs, I think that this does a great job.
We have kids, and I was worried about OneKey restore being right there for all to see on the upper part of the deck above the keyboard! Yikes. Can't disconnect the use of the key (at least I haven't found a way yet), but it can be password protected. So I am cool with that.
It is relatively light @ not quite 6 lbs. Replacement batteries aren't that expensive, and, should you need to go portable around the house, 4 hours is plenty to sit and research something, or do a bit more. Haven't done much else with it, so I may come back and list some other plusses or minuses as they arise.
Bottom line- the computer that this is replacing, another Everex that utterly died after almost all day, everyday use for about 5 years, met our expectations- (not exceeded) THIS Lenovo will continue to exceed.

Update: 3.15.2011
Still great. After loading up all that we needed to, our programs, photos, screensaver, extras, catching up on all of the updates from various and sundry places... still GREAT. Web: Browsing is only a second or two delay and then nearly instantaneous on filling out the whole page. Do remember that this machine is not tops on anything- so I find the speed exceptional. I had 3 different programs in various stages of loading, downloading, and installation, and they were all done in lightspeed fashion, with no locking up, no hold ups, no hitches. Done in a New York Minute.
Keyboard is well arranged, responsive, and does not miss a beat. Dual number key pads... sometimes an assistance.
Hate to say it, never been overboard on Microsoft products, but Seven is good. No problems so far, like Vista. Always had to come up with workarounds for that OS. Ugh. Not so here. All set up and customized. Works GREAT and without any hitches with the various Freeware that I use. You know, let me touch on that one.
I have NEVER had a computer crash due to anything other than hardware failure due to heavy use and age. With that said, here are the programs that I like to use, again it is all Freeware, and all of it is from CNET. Here is the list, in order of use to clean up your system entirely:
Free Registry Fix
COMODO System Cleaner
IObit Advanced System Care
Spyware Terminator
IObit Smart Defrag #2 Beta
I find that these programs work very well together, no matter what OS you use from XP through Windows 7, cause no conflicts, and keep your system totally clean of everything, and running as fast as is possible.
Screen quality is great. Very tight for roughly 720 video and picture quality.
Lastly- sound quality is great. Once you dive into Windows to customize your setting, you come across an area of sound customization, including I believe 10 band graphic equalizer, or presets like concert, rock, or classical and the like- and, then you can set up the 3d perceptual range and some other functions. Very nice. Makes these little speakers sound so much better, so much more presence, and even, dare I say it, a little note of 3D digitally manipulated Bass? Surprising, but true!
Buy this computer. I love it, and have had an easy time of things using it, setting it up, and the customization of Windows is a lot of fun.
Buy it. I have no cons on this for the price. Not one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo G650 Series 067999U, January 19, 2011
So far, this laptop has been wonderful. Windows-7 is a bit of a learning curve if you're used to XP (like I am), but so far it's been simple to use. My only complaint is this product came with some bloat/crapware along with important Lenovo software--I accidentally uninstalled something thinking it was bloatware only to realize it was a needed file (it was Easy-Camera). Re-downloading the needed software resulted in being given the runaround (in the end, I had to download a Vista version of the program because Windows7-64 bit just wouldn't work with the download). It would be nice if Windows would more clearly specify what's an important file versus what's not (not just specifying for system files) so the laymen out there don't accidentally delete things, but oh well.

When the fan blows, it's rather quiet. I haven't had any issues of the laptop overheating. The speed is wonderful, too, very fast. The image quality and sound is pretty good, I haven't had much problems compared to the other reviews. What's also interesting is you have the option to create a face-recognition log-in using the camera instead of signing it; it's a neat touch.

For those who use word-processing files, you'll have to either buy Office or go with something like Openoffice instead (the latter of which I did). This laptop also comes with McAfee, which I ditched that in favor of Spybot and Avira; it's best to go with your personal preference for virus/spyware protection.

Overall, I'm VERY pleased with the quality of this laptop. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best out similar laptops, February 23, 2011
I researched several laptops such as HP, Dell, Gateway, Toshiba for sveral months with similar features and when this came up for sale for $399 I jumped at it since it had very good reviews and met my key criteria.
The two things I am disappointed with are the battery life which is less than 3 hours compared to over 5 hours on my Dell which cost over $600,and the touch pad. The touch pad is not an issue since I got a wireless mouse for under $20.
I have used it for a couple of months and I am very pleased with it,the features and the cost make up for the shortcommings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't ask for more value for the price, February 14, 2011
This was an excellent deal for the price. I am happy with all aspects of this Lenovo Laptop. It performs well, and does everything I want it to. I appreciate that the processor runs so cooly, and provides enough computer power for my needs, which are administrative and for video. I am not involved in video gaming, so more processor power is not a necessity for me. The screen is good, I am happy with the sound quality, even though its speakers are not very loud. I use headphones anyway. Also, I am beginning to like Windows 7. I would recommend this laptop highly, it is perfect for those like me, whose computing needs are not overly specialized.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great. Fast. Reliable., December 24, 2010
What else can you ask of a laptop?
I have generally had good luck with Lenovos.... I would stick with the brand - if only they made a larger screen resolution (I do a lot of photography), I would be a VERY happy camper, as opposed to just a happy camper. 768 vertical is a bit short, considering that older 15.4" laptops did 1280x800....

Otherwise, it is a very good laptop, slick, not too many bells and whistles, but reliable and reputable (former IBM). If only fewer things were pre-loaded - but they do not hinder performance of a powerful processor and plenty of RAM this one has...

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't Try to Use TrueCrypt to Encrypt the Entire Hard Drive, December 29, 2010
I have had very good luck with this product, but with one exception.

When I tried to use TrueCrypt to encrypt the entire hard drive, it turned the laptop into a brick. The BIOS is not compatible. Fortunately, after much effort, I found a way to decrypt the drive using the rescue disk. It took almost a full day.

If you use TrueCrypt with this machine, only create encrypted folders. Do not try to encrypt the entire machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing - don't buy one of these, May 30, 2011
I had high hopes when buying this Lenovo G560 Laptop - it seemed like a bargain. But don't be fooled... it isn't worth half the money. The touch pad is next to useless - the buttons aren't well defined and the touchpad is confused when you rest one finger on the button and try to navigate with the other... I have had many laptops and none have been this incredibly hard to use... I have updated software, changed drivers etc, but it seems like many others share this problem. It is like haveing a loose steering wheel on a car - sometimes it steers and sometimes not!

The other issue is that the computer freezes whne you shut the lid or leave it for a while - it doesn't effectively go into hibernate or standby, so the only option is to turn it off. Again - I have had many laptops, and none are really brillliant at power managment but this is the pits.

Stay away from this - after reading many forum posts, the company seem to be useless at responding, both to enquiries, or to overcoming repeated design faults as they bring out new models. Never buying Lenovo again.

Lenovo G560 Series 067999U Laptop (Black)
Used & New from: $679.50