Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

I purchased the Lenovo on the second day it was out. I am not normally an adventurer, but I urgently needed a new computer, and had waited until Windows 8 came out so that I could have long use. I was moving from an older Windows Vista, so those with Windows 7 won't be as impressed - although it is hard to separate the experience of Windows 8 from the Lenovo, since they are designed to interact.

Touch Screen
The touch screen is amazingly responsive, it responds as easily as my iPad to my touch. On the other hand, the accelerometer is a bit finicky, and getting the picture to turn is not as responsive. Still, since 99% of my usage is in display or laptop mode, it hasn't been a significant issue. I hope that it is improved in later models.

Twist and Turn
I LOVE this configuration. I primarily use the display and laptop mode. Even with my iPad, I hated TeePee (an inverted V), and I preferred to be able to set my display up to watch and use it. Times I use this in tablet mode are working on games with my Granddaughter, playing solitaire, or it can be easier to use in this mode while sitting in a seat in a car. I use the laptop mode for work, and the display mode for playing games (so nice to have the screen handy and at just the right angle), watching Netflix or Amazon Video. The sound controls are extra easy to use and the "windows button" is quickly handy in display mode.

Special notes on Twist and turn, it is particularly handy to watch something with someone seated next to you, and the display mode is especially nice to watch videos on a plane, if that is something you do. I often will turn my screen to show my husband or daughter something on my computer. It is a really nice feature for families.

Speed
My average sleep to start mode is about 8 seconds. If I am running on battery instead of "leashed" it takes a couple of seconds longer to wake up. I have not had any lag in performance of anything I am using, and my only internet lag is when I am at the end of my router range.

Touchpad and pointer
This was my first experience with pointers, and I have pretty much ignored mine. It has the red pointer and the two pointer buttons at the top of the touchpad. The touchpad itself is very responsive and uses all of the usual gestures. It sets into the case and clicks on either side to mimic the mouse buttons. The pointer buttons may also be used at the top. Since I have carpal tunnel, I use a trackball, so after testing mine, I converted over.

USB ports
Both ports are 3.0. They are placed one on each side of the computer. The 3.0 was very handy when I was transferring information since it helped me to move the information quickly to this computer - essential, since my other computer died only days after I purchased this one. I use a Seagate external drive to back up that has 3.0 USB, so it works well.

At the same time, having the configuration of 2 USB on opposite sides was a bit of an issue when running my external DVD player, since it has the option of plugging into two USB ports for power - and the cord was configured for them both to be on the same side.

Interaction with Windows 8
I took time before it was released to learn a bit about Windows 8, which is why I decided I would like to have a touchscreen to use with it. I love how the touchscreen interacts with Windows 8, and how it quickly becomes intuitive to determine which works better, a mouse or keyboard move or just reaching out and touching the screen. My only complaint involves my fingerprints on the screen.

Another tiny issue I encountered, is that I decided to install Adobe PDF Reader since I didn't really like the Windows Version as much. Adobe has a new reader just for touchscreen that defaults to touchscreen, with no bars on the side. I have to unclick the touch mode in order to use it the way I normally do. It is nice to have software that knows and installs for touchscreens. I suspect more are on the way.

Battery
As you are aware, battery is based on usage. I find that I average around 5 hours running on battery before I get at 10 percent warning. This is mostly doing some internet research and creating word documents, but also includes some playing of simple word or card games. For comparison, I normally average 5 hours on my iPad. I know the battery says seven hours, but I always take that number with a huge grain of salt and divide it in half for a working number. So five, for my use, is a very nice feature. My complaint here, and with ultra books in general is that you can't carry a spare battery to pop in.

Reasons I wanted this model
I wanted a 500G memory, touchscreen, in a reasonable price range. When this was introduced, a local store opened with it on sale, making this particular model particularly desirable. It had the memory, speed, and flexibility that I desired, and it provided some cool configurations that made it particularly nice for someone already used to an iPad looking for a fully functional computer. I like the fact that in tablet mode, I am not worrying about damaging the keyboard. I love the weight - a little more than my iPad - actually the weight of 2 iPads, very nice for travelling.

I don't use mine to stream to TV or count on it for Blu-ray movies. It is a computer, and the screen is all that I personally need.

There are two things to consider when considering this.
Your use determines the laptop you use. If you already use a touchpad, you will enjoy this more than if you are a straight laptop user. If you want fancy screens for movies and such, you might want to look at it in a store before you decide. If you read books on your computer, display mode is perfect, and it sets nicely on your lap. Make sure that you find one that meets YOUR needs. Just because I love mine, doesn't mean you will.

Price is a consideration. There are others that are cheaper. There are others that are more expensive. All have their positives and negative points. Even more, I have seen this model on sale in several locations, so I strongly suggest you look around before buying.

Good luck with your choices. I love mine and hope you can find one that is perfect for you.

EDITED - SOFTWARE UPDATE
A software update on December 6 corrected the issue with finicky nature of the screen turning. If you purchase this or are experiencing problems with the screen turning correctly be sure to get the update.
8787 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 31, 2012
I own several laptops (HP, Dell, Toshiba) and for my son's college laptop, I've looked at all competing laptops (HP, Samsung, Intel, Toshiba, Sony, etc.) and compared them multiple times at the store before deciding on the Twist. Once I have fine tuned the screen adjustments and some other minor functions (see below), and turned off the bloatware programs, it has functioned flawlessly. I could not be happier - this is a great portable laptop with a VERY, VERY, VERY, PRETTY SCREEN. At $700-800, there is *absolutely* nothing like it on the market at this price point: thin ultrabook, IPS touchscreen (don't get Win 8 without touchscreen), 3rd gen. i5, good sized combo HDD/SSD, keyboard with deep travel. Read on for details below.

At bottom half of this review, I have posted all the tricks that you need to do to take care of glitches that you might have with the Twist, so make sure you expand my review to read all of it. It *will* be perfect by the time you do these minor steps.

The laptop is fairly thin at 0.78 inch and at 3.5 lbs is a great compromise for size and weight for a college laptop. The overall size is not too big, the screen is not too small, not too heavy, really a PERFECT COMBINATION OF SIZE and WEIGHT and by far the BEST among many I have had. It has magnesium construction and nice gorilla glass, and all the exposed metal surfaces feel warm & smooth, almost like a rubberized finish. The RUBBERIZED FINISH is WONDERFUL to touch and to lay hands on - it has grown on me! Overall this laptop is sleek and modern looking, and feels very nice to the touch (Sony S for example has cold and cheap feeling metal surfaces). I should add that besides functionality and computing power, I place emphasis on 2 parameters that not everyone may pay attention to: the feel and feedback of the keyboard, for my son the college student - go Sagehens, and the quality of the display, as we both are avid photographers (he's more artistic but I am more "nutty" :-)).

Battery life for current Intel i5 laptops with non Solid State disk drive and touchscreen (consume more energy) tend to be around 4-5 hours, and this laptop in that aspect is par for the course. Sorry it's not 7 hours and it's not going to be like a tablet. Since I don't want to forego the touchscreen feature and want to keep cost low (HDD as opposed to SSD), I accepted this.

Resolution: I actually prefer resolution of 1366x768 for these smaller screens; 1600 would make text and everything too small for these smaller screens. (You could increase text size through display settings but that's not ideal - pictures on web sites become blur, etc.)

3 primary reasons that I picked this laptop, besides the reasonable cost:
1. The excellent IPS TOUCH SCREEN WITH FANTASTIC picture quality/saturation/contrast/viewing angle. This is one of very few ultrabooks, and by far the least expensive, with an IPS panel (google "IPS screen" to find out). If you are into photography, you *will* love this screen; it puts 99% of other laptops' screens to shame, particularly those HP and Sony ultrabooks with their very washed-out screens. Note that it's not just the pictures that pop, text on the Lenovo IPS screen is smoother and seems easier to read as well. Comparing to a Sony S series that I have next to it, the difference is remarkable.
2. BEST KEYBOARD BY FAR of all ultrabooks. Thin laptop computers tend to have lousy keyboard with very little depth travel (HP, Sony, etc.). Lenovo Twist has outstanding Thinkpad-class keyboard, with great tactile feedback and deeper travel than all ultrabook class laptops that I have tried.
3. Why I picked Lenovo Twist over the also excellent Lenovo Yoga: First, the considerable cost difference between the 2. Second, keyboard doesn't get exposed when in tablet mode like Yoga. Regarding the keyboard, for me, the Twist's keyboard has better layout and is better than that of the Yoga when it comes to the feel/feedback/travel of the keys. Yoga's right shift and back space keys are **half-sized** and that bothers me. Third, the Yoga with 128 gb SSD has very little HD space left for anything, and the one with 256 is way too expensive at this point. Lastly, the Twist is smaller and more portable and hence better for my son's intended use in college (YMMV). To me, size wise the Twist strikes a perfect balance for a hybrid laptop-tablet combination; not too big as a tablet, not too small as a laptop.

HOW TO MAKE LIFE WITH THIS LAPTOP EASY: first thing to do when you get the Twist is to type "update" at Metro screen then "enter" to let the system update itself; the original software has a few teething problems particularly with the rotation function. Second, thanks to Win 8 there are several duplicate controls for adjustment of power settings, auto dimming, and screen brightness adjustment that drove me absolutely nuts until I had things figured out. For example auto dim brightness is adjusted by at least 2 independent algorithms: one that operates by sensor (auto dim according to ambient light - turned off by "Change PC Settings" in Windows 8) and one that operates through the power management - turned off or adjusted by clicking on the battery icon. Similarly, brightness and power management are set by using either "Graphics Property" which gives you the Intel Graphics Control Panel, or by clicking on the battery icon to enter power management.

Some fine tuning "tricks" that have helped me:
***Type "update" on Metro screen to update to latest Lenovo's software/firmware change. This will update the flawed auto-rotation function that comes loaded from factory.
***You must turn off the auto dim function that adjusts to ambient light, or it will likely drive you crazy. On Metro screen, wipe from right side, then "Settings," then "Change PC Settings" at right lower corner, then "General," then scroll down to "Screen," then turn off "Adjust my screen brightness automatically."
***There is a second auto dim function that's related to power saving, in the Power Options->Change Advanced Power Settings if you want to get rid of that too.
***Turn off ACTIVE PROTECTION SYSTEM to prevent the Twist from lagging or hanging when you use it in Tablet mode. Type "active protection system" on Metro screen, then click on it, then click on "Configuration" tap, then UN-click "Enable Active Protection System." (Lenovo Support recommends that you turn this feature OFF as it is not necessary and only causes problems.)
***I actually turn off "auto-rotation" in Control Panel->Display->Change Display Settings because I don't really have a need for it, however even after having turned this off, when I start twisting the screen auto-rotation does turn on automatically and this feature works fine.
***Start Button for those who miss it - "Windows Start Menu 8" from CNET http://download.cnet.com/Start-Menu-8/3000-2072_4-75852660.html **CAREFUL** reember de-select (do NOT load) the bloatwares/search program that comes with this program. You only want the Windows Start Menu 8 to load, not the other stuffs.
***To silent laptop speakers when you plug in a headphone: Control Panel-->Realtek HD Audio Manager-->Advanced Device Settings-->Click/check Multi-stream mode. (Edit November 2014: no longer needed for latest generation of Lenovo Twist.)
***Lenovo Solution Center: Oddly enough, I found that if you scan both discs (Hitachi HDD and Samsung SSD) during the hardware check up part, you'll get a failure grade for the Samsung targeted read test. However if you scan the SSD only, then it passes the test. This is a bug in Lenovo Solution Center and I ignore the error message. (Edit November 2014: no longer needed for latest generation of Lenovo Twist.)
***I also turn off all warnings and notifications from the bloatwares that come with this laptop from Lenovo, Intel, etc., so they don't keep popping up annoying messages.
***Wipe-from-left-edge-to-flip-through-opened-programs/apps function: I turn this function off because I would accidentally activate it through the touchpad when I type and cause a different program to open.
***Press "Windows key" and "x" at the traditional desktop screen to bring up critical functions like control panel, etc.
***If you just start typing (any letter, anything) on Metro screen, you automatically activate search function for all apps and programs. Very convenient.

UPDATE 2/5/2013: Continued to function flawlessly; son took it with him to college and loves it. The small size, lighter weight, and sturdy finish are a plus as he takes it to classes.

UPDATE 11/14/2014: Bought a THIRD one for my family: my son, daughter, and now myself. All 3 continue to function flawlessly, all 3 updated to Windows 8.1 without any problem. The latest generation of Twist software seems to have corrected a lot of glitches of the first generation. The screen continues to be a MARVEL, the size is perfect, and the light weight is nice.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 4, 2012
I purchased two of these units for my wife and me from Staples a few days ago. We've both run them through enough of our routine work tasks that I can say I am officially in love. My rating is really a 4.5, but I choose to round up instead of down because, for me, the benefits outweigh the shortcomings.

My wife and I are both Realtors with iPhones and we work full time off our two laptops from a home office. We are very mobile, meeting clients mostly in the field, at coffee shops, or at their homes, but do spend a lot of time at a desk, working in "desktop" mode. She's been bugging me for over a year to get an iPad. I've resisted because I don't view the iPad as a solution to any of our productivity issues, and I didn't want each of us to have a third device to deal with. Instead, I have been patiently waiting for the right Ultrabook, and the Thinkpad Twist is it.

Is it big enough to work on full time?
When we downsized from full PCs to fulltime 15.6 Laptops 3+ years ago, I was very worried about adapting to the smaller size keyboards and screens. It worked out just fine, but I have the same concern going from 15.6 inch screens to 12.5 inch screens, especially as we're both in our 50s now and don't see as well.

For both of us, the Twist passes the size test, no problem. I can see just fine with the smaller screen. So can my wife. The keyboard is, surprisingly, actually better for me than the bigger laptop keyboard or even a full size desktop keyboard. I basically type with two finger (each hand) plus thumbs. So I'm having no trouble at all. All the keys I normally need and use are located well. I tried out some of the Surface Tablets in the Microsfot store in Austin, and, to me, the keyboard provided on this ultrabook is so much better than the keyboards available with the Surface that I wouldn't even consider trying to work full time on anything less.

How is the Touchpad and Button setup?
In my normal work desk area, I use a mouse, so no issues there. I plugged in the small usb plug and it set itself up in a few seconds and the wireless mouse was working, just like that. Easy. (As an aside, i've had no connectivity issues with my wireless printer, WiFi, Home network, Public WiFi either. Everything has connected seamlessly with no problem at all)

However, as I type this in my favorite coffee shop, without a mouse, I'm still adapting to the touchpad and, specifically, the darned gestures that Windows 8 thinks I'm making, which constantly changes the screen to another app. I had no idea that I lightly graze the touchpad with my thumbs so often when typing, but I do, and I'll have to learn to stop that. Meanwhile, in the settings, I've told Windows to not change screens with "swipe from left". Instead, it now pops up a small left-side column of recently used apps, which is still annoying but not disruptive. I simply swipe from left again to close it, then carry on.

The other bit of training I'm having to learn is the actual speed of motion when moving the mouse. Sometimes, when just moving the mouse left, it thinks it's a swipe because I moved too fast. I feel that I will continue to learn and adapt to the sensitivities of the machine and Windows 8.

The other non-mouse issue is the buttons and clicking. I haven't used the red pointer at all, other than out of curiosity. Nor the pointer buttons at the top of the pad. Both the bottom left and right of the touchpad itself depress and act as "right click" and "left click". I find it easy enough to do this because this is where the buttons were located on my old laptop anyway. It's also easy enough to click and drag when dragging and dropping files from one folder to another, or when dragging windows to one side or the other to set up split screen view of two different windows.

Finally, my wife hasn't experienced one single instance of the "accidental swipes" changing her screen. She's oblivious to what I'm even talking about when I ask her. She uses all fingers to type and her thumbs don't flop around the touchpad like mine, and I guess she uses kinder, gentler movements of the mouse. So, this issue will vary from user to use I feel.

Does it get too Hot?
I read some reviews complaining about the heat so I'll address that quickly. Running side by side next to my old Dell Studio 15 laptop, the two systems produce exactly the same amount of heat. I don't think the ThinkPad produces too much heat, and I wouldn't have thought to even mention it had I not read about it in so many other reviews. In tablet mode, yes, I can feel that it's hotter in one area in back than the other, but no more so than my daughter's iPad that her school provides, which I held for comparison. To me, this isn't an issue.

How is it in Tablet Mode?
I spent a couple of hours yesterday in tablet mode. This is actually my first Tablet, so I have nothing to compare it to (oter than iPhone). And I spend more time producing than consuming content on my computer, but I really enjoyed reading news, swiping through articles, etc. I don't play games so I didn't try any of those and can't comment about that.

The system was responsive and quick. The screen easy to read (though it randomly dims temporarily every now and then), and I found it easy to learn the gestures and movements needed to navigate through apps and content. It was especially wonderful watching sports news videos. I tried an app where I could draw with my finger. Not my thing, but it seemed to work just fine for those who want to create/draw or annotate photos or documents in that manner.

The real tablet-mode test will come later as my wife wants to replace paper printouts with pdf files of sales listings when showing properties. Many Realtors do this with iPads, and I imagine this will be accomplished on the Twist in tablet mode with a pdf app of some kind.

How is the portablility?
This is one of the things we will enjoy most. This computer is very small and thin. My wife can actually slip it into one of her larger purses instead of lugging the bigger, heavier laptops we had. We will be travelling for 5 days next week and will put them through the real life travel test then, but already I can tell this is going to be a very easy unit to carry around and work with, especially having WiFi hotspots built into our phones.

Do Legacy Windows Programs Run OK?
This is more of a W8 questions, but I do have two legacy desktop software applications that I need to run, which is another reason I ruled out an RT tablet, and they both run fine in desktop mode.

Did you look at the Lenovo Yoga?
Yes, but ruled it out because the hard drive is too small (way smaller usable hard drive space than the specs suggest) and the keys are exposed at bottom in laptop mode (though disabled). Also, the Twist can assume all 4 positions of the Yoga, so I personally saw a destinct advantage with the Twist. Finally, I wanted a business-oriented build and design, and the Thinkpad is built for business (though I think a home user might also find it a better entertainment machine as well).

Overall, three days in, I'm very pleased. More importantly, my non-techie wife is very happy with hers as well. I'm especially pleased about having been patient and waited so long for the right combination of form factor and utility. This unit really hits the right note for me as a mobile professional. I never bought into the "tablet only" solution. Twist offers both a full fledge windows machine with real keyboard, and a useful tablet for uses better suited to a tablet factor. It has real posrts and connectivity to other hardware. It hits a real sweet spot for me. It's not "too small" as a 12.5" laptop, and not "too big" as a 12.5" tablet. Perfect!

If I left anything out (which I'm sure I did), feel free to ask.

EDIT: I've reduced my Review star score to 3 stars.

After writing the initial review, different problems started showing up. For my wife, the best description would be "Bloatware Gremlins", constantly pestering and prompting her to click this, install that. She kept getting popups for all different things. I have no idea what she did but her IE started freezing up regularly and she started having intermittent issues. On our business trip, she ended up not able to use the computer, but used mine.

For me, I guess I'm not as susceptible to the Bloatware Gremlins, and swat them away without thinking much about it, but I did eventually find the "dripping" out of these prompts and popups to be annoying. Also, my Lenovo Service Window box would remain open constantly and I couldn't get it to close. When I closed it, it would open right back up. I called support and they couldn't find the record of my warranty or registration, even though I could type it in at their website and it confirmed as being a registered computer under warranty. The trouble ticked was "escalated", yet I never heard back from anyone, and still haven't to this day.

Finally, I was experiencing intermittent flickering of the screen in tablet mode. I'd have to turn off the unit and restart to get it to stop. And the screen would not rotate properly from landscape/portrait mode at times. Also, direct sunlight on the screen seemed to cause problems.

I could probably have worked through the issues on mine eventually, but my wife and I always use identical computers in our business/usability, and she was unwilling to keep trying to deal with her unit. With the 14 day return window almost up, I decided to take them back. The lady at Staples said someone else had returned theirs that day also, with some sort of hard drive issue.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 9, 2013
I have owned many laptops and netbooks. I started with the 15" models some years ago but found out they were too heavy to take on my commute to work. So I went to the netbooks and after different models I found out they were too small. My last netbook was a Acer 11.5" aspire. Great netbook but again after time the screen was too small to do excel sheets etc. Went to my local best buy store to check out the Lenovo yoga 13 but found the screen flimsy. Read the reviews on the twist and when Staples came out with a $699 model I jumped on it. I have had mine for a week now and here are my points:

PROS:
1. Great build (thin and sturdy)
2. Best keyboard available
3. Love the stick mouse (I disabled the mouse pad)
4. Windows 8 is very stable (love it)
5. Touch Screen works very well.
6. Battery has improved (see updates)

CONS:
1. None for me!

I do really enjoy having the larger screen (12.5") compared to my old netbook. Windows 8 is like having two operating systems. (a touch screen system and a windows keyboard system (like windows 7). Just press the winkey +D and you are into windows 7. Use Classic shell for your start button and you can copy all the items you used when you did have a start button to the bottom task bar or the classic shell start menu (see updates) Then press the winkey and you are at the start screen and with your mouse you can set the icons you wish to use. Still learning windows 8 but so far I find it very very stable. So far I have found no issues with windows 8.

UPDATE 2-14-2013
I wanted to share this in case someone else has the same problem. Used the lenovo thinkpad on my way to work on the train and while watchinig movies or playing music, I noticed the screen was freezing, audio glitching. Very annoying! I called Lenovo support and they showed me that the laptop has active hard drive protection. And basically if it detects movement it will shut the hard drive down and then allow it to operate again if the vibration goes away. This is an easy adjustment (go to setting and in search type active protection" Works great now! it was set to high so it picked up all the movement on the train!

UPDATE: 2-21-2013
OMG, this computer grows on you! Windows 8 is stable, fun and fantastic. The wireless adapter is the best I have had on a laptop top. The battery is 3-4 hours but I found this was not a problem for me. Best laptop I have had to date and believe me I have had many! I changed my starts from 4 to 5!

UPDATE 3-25-13
Found that when my headphones were plugged in the sound still came out of the speakers!? Here is the fix:, go to control panel, then click on Realtek HD audo manager, click on the top right advance settings and select muli stream mode. Now the sound will switch from speakers to the headphones. Also really missed the start button while on desktop. I installed classic shell. It is a free program and is fantastic. It gives you the start button with plenty of settings!!!! I now have classic shell set so if I press the winkey it will automatically switch between the desktop and the windows 8 start screen. Very cool!

UPDATE 4-2-13
Found that the wireless adapter connects faster to my wifi if I remove the bluetooth icon from my startup folder and drag it into my classic shell icons for easy starting when needed. Now my wireless wi-fi connects instantly. Also found the intergrated camera wasn't working,(showed grey screen with a circle and a line through it) I had to google the fix, clicked into lenovo setting and went to camera and found it set on private mode!? Put it to normal and it works fine! Also went on a skiing trip to Canada BC. Its a 5+ hour plane ride and the screen on my seat was dead so I used the Lenovo thinkpad and it lasted the entire trip (watching videos and playing windows games with my granddaughter) I was so impressed I removed the battery life from my cons list! Will keep updating....
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 28, 2012
If you want a light laptop with a touch screen under $1000 your options are limited right now. The Lenovo works great, has an hdmi, a great video card, and a 500 gb hard drive that is very quick. I have spent a good deal of time looking at computers and I think that this is the best one for windows 8. This computer has a plastic coating that makes it much more comfortable in cold weather. Most ultrabooks are exposed metal which can feel cold. Especially if you bring your laptop to bed. Twisting the screen and laying flat may be a gimmick to some, but turning the screen around and watching movies or touch games in bed, is perfect. And turning it flat for hands on picture editing stabilizes the screen. So if you are an average person, this is the computer of your dreams. P.S., I typed this using the Lenovo touch screen keyboard, much faster than an iPad.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2012
Bought this a week ago (Oct 27) and also bought the new Lenovo 13.3 in Yoga Ideapad at BBuy to see which I would like the best and keep. Thinkpad Twist won out even though the Yoga had some better features like longer battery and full 16:9 widescreen and was a little thinner though the weight was the same at 3.5 lbs. The Twist has the traditional Thinkpad keyboard with mouse joystick and buttons above the touchpad while the Yoga had a bigger all touch intelligent touchpad but I liked having the actual conventional mouse buttons as I am more comfortable with traditional mice as a longtime user.

I also liked the huge 500gb harddrive as I learned the 128gb SSD on the Yoga only had 39gb free on the C drive and 23gb on D drive after Lenovo reserved space and win 8 system and software. I also just liked the Twist's fold down screen better for lap work or play as a tablet though the Yoga total fold back screen was cool too. I liked the Twist more for ports too with both hdmi and minidisplay ports so I can connect to any type of monitor, not just one with hdmi. I also liked it having two USB 3.0 ports over Yogas one 3.0 and one 2.0. I would prefer them both on the same side instead of opposite but hey, they are both hi speed.

Sound quality is great and it has dual mics for group discussions like conferencing. Again, this is why this baby is very useful to people in business as well.

The twist exterior skin almost feels rubbery and not smooth like the Yoga (which is beautiful) and is less likely to slip in my hands. The Twist is really a business oriented ultrabook versus what I think is just a consumer oriented one like the Yoga seems to me. It has Lenovo Busines Solutions Software which several utilities built in good for business people. The Twist also has a SIM card port for future connectivity too the Yoga did not have even though the cost was over $200 more. It has TPM enterprise security built in too.

I just love Win 8 and the overall feel and utility the Twist gives me and feel it is the best choice of the new Win 8 hardware released so far. I think Lenovo did a great job on both models but being an older long time PC and notebook user, I just felt more at home with the Twist and look forward to many hours with it.

My only complaint is they state it has up to 7 hours battery, but I have learned that is only possible in power saving mode with dim screen, slower processing speed, and some port turn offs while my actual performance with settings I like are only giving me between 4 to 5 hours of use between charges while the Yoga I know would have given me maybe 2 hours or more battery time. Obviously, I love it and recommend both. It is a new day for computing with these ultraportables that also become tablets for fun and browsing.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 7, 2013
I had a whole host of issues with this product:
1. Light kept changing brightness every few seconds without my doing anything
2. Sound didn't work
3. Mouse cursor was constantly flickering
4. Touch screen didn't work
5. It would take forever for the screen orientation to change when computer was rotated
6. A program would be exited spontaneously without my doing anything.

I sent my computer in for repairs after speaking with a few technical support people.
A week later, they returned my computer, with a replaced motherboard.

All issues but (3) above were addressed by that replacement.
However, after that, I started having another issue: I would get a message, every five minutes, saying that the Windows needs to be activated and that the serial number that was in there was invalid.

I started calling Tech Support again, and spoke with a bunch of different representatives, none of whom knew what to do. Eventually, after wasting hours and hours of my time, I demanded to speak with a manager, who suggested that it would be most wise for me to either get a refund for the computer or get a replacement, and promised to escalate my case to the appropriate individuals.

In a couple days, I got a phone call from another manager, who repeated what the first manager said, and asked whether I would prefer a refund or a replacement. At that point, I said that a refund would be best, because I had no desire to deal with their customer service anymore. He said that he would forward my case to the top tier manager who would send me all the information that would be required to get the refund processed.

The next day, I received a phone call from the top tier manager, Kelly, as promised. She left me a voicemail, the content of which can be summarized as follows: "I don't understand the issue, you should not be having this issue, and for that reason, we're not going to replace the computer or refund your money". I received the voicemail a couple hours before catching a plane to go on a business trip abroad for several weeks. After I called her back, she repeated all of this, completely contradicting everything her fellow representatives had told me earlier. I demanded to speak to her manager, to which she said: "if you want to proceed, you will have to deal with me; otherwise, I will close the case". The conversation got heated; Kelly was obnoxiously rude and unprofessional, and probably the most inappropriate person to work in Customer Relations Management, which was her department. I had to run catch my plane, so decided that I would call back once I'm back in the country.

When I called back, I spoke with a technician who told me that my case had been closed. Thankfully, that technician had been quite helpful and offered me to send back the computer to have it looked at again. It's not quite a refund or a replacement, but I will take what I can get from this horrendous company.

I will never buy a Lenovo again neither for personal nor for business use. I can't deal with defective products, technicians who are (despite being friendly) largely unhelpful, and customer relations managers who are beyond unprofessional. And I hope that Lenovo reevaluates having people like Kelly on their team, because if the likes of her manage customer relations, they will soon run out of customers.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2012
I am sick of carrying around a laptop and a tablet, and this has been a great solution--I can use it as a tablet when I want to use a tablet, or I can use it as a laptop and do real work when I need to--Microsoft Office, visual studio. I can even run Itunes on it and play apple content or charge and sync an IOS device with it.
Sure it is heavier than an ipad, but it is a lot lighter than many other laptops, and sure is lighter than carrying both a laptop and a tablet.
I really like it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2012
This is product which will revolutionize the market. I see people fiddling around with a Macbook Pro, an Ipad and maybe even add a Kindle just for the sake of argument. So the issue with this is these products have many overlapping uses. This product combines a laptop, tablet and an E-reader. The size is actually large enough for having split screen, for instance, writing a paper while surfing the web for info. Or making a powerpoint while surfing the web. however it is actually small enough to comfortably use as an ereader like a Kindle. I know because I had one and I decided to sell it after this. And I decided to sell my traditional ASUS laptop after buying this. Truth is, Windows 8 is REALLY GREAT, it combines the touch friendly usability of a tablet with the word processing ability of a laptop. I bought a android tablet which even had a keyboard, the Asus Slider. However word processing on it was terrible even after buying third party software. This thing you can either get open office or Microsoft Office.
This product will replace your laptop, your tablet and your e-reader. I promise that. It even has a mini-hdmi cable so you can hook it up to a monitor and watch a movie.
I highly recommend this product. Period.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 1, 2012
I purchased my Twist after looking at the Samsung Ativ Smart PC 500T. Both offer interesting approaches to the tablet/laptop hybrid at similar prices. I purchased my Lenovo on sale for $848 after tax, while the Samsung is $750 on Amazon. I decided on the Lenovo because A) it was available locally, and B) I wasn't sure if I wanted to lug around the keyboard dock on the Samsung, and it wasn't useable as a tablet with it attached. I have used HP elitebooks at work before so I knew how the Lenovo's hinge mechanism worked, and decided that was the better alternative for me. The Lenovo also offers the advantage in that it has a far more powerful Intel i5 CPU, while the 500T only comes with the Intel Atom Z2760. Both are dual cores at I believe 1.7GHz, and while I have not had a chance to use a device with this new atom I think it's safe to say the i5 is much more powerful (CPUBenchmark.net gives the i5 3317U a score of 3,211 vs 679 for the Atom Z2760. A side note, the 500T's big brother, the 700T, comes with the same i5 3317U CPU as the Lenovo Twist.

This CPU is a huge advantage as it is pretty powerful for a laptop, but still runs very cool. I installed core temp and did the WEI benchmark, temps got to the mid 60's Celsius, but it never felt more than warm to touch. I'd had a Samsung Series 3 laptop with a i3 before, and in comparison that would get scalding hot compared to the Lenovo. Other components include an acceptable but loud 500GB @ 5400rpm hard drive, 4GB (upgradeable to a single 8GB slot) of DDR3 memory, and a 5 touch point screen that runs at a somewhat disappointing 1366x768 (720p). Windows 8 experience index is :
6.9 for processor
5.9 for Memory (RAM)
4.4 for graphics (Intel HD4000)
6.1 for gaming graphics
5.9 for hard drive

The powerful CPU is definitely a plus, but to be honest the screen resolution is a little disappointing. The 700T offers full 1080p at 1980x1080 resolution. It'd be nice if the Lenovo at least offered 1600x900 as it is a ThinkPad which indicates its aimed towards business users. As mentioned before the hard drive is also a little loud, most of the time it isn't noticeable except when its frequently accessing the drive. A 128gb solid state drive (also used in the Samsung 700T) would be greatly appreciated and I can't imagine would add much cost, though I am sure some would prefer the larger space over speed/lower temps/quietier advantages of the SSD. In any case it's not too difficult to take out the old HDD and put an SSD in, same goes for upgrading the RAM to 8GB.

The final complaint is in the screen, while it is responsive and works and looks nice it seems like it's a little underwhelming. For example, even the atom powered Samsung 500T offers the 10 point touch screen with wacom digitizer and stylus. Again, considering this is a business laptop, I think the Lenovo could benefit from this. Looking at the $300 premium of the 700T, maybe it's not worth the extra price to have an SSD, digitizer, and 1080p screen - but I doubt it'd really cost that much to add this hardware to the Twist. Afterall, the Samsung 700T is cramming all that PC hardware into the screen as the keyboard area is just an attachable dock, while Lenovo has the whole body to basically work around with. That said, I'm still happy with the Twist, I guess Lenovo just got me hooked and now I'll be buying the 1080p version with digitizer when it comes out.

Edit: I noticed the IdeaPad Yoga solves most of the complaints I have about this Thinkpad, it has an SSD, higher res screen, not sure about if it's a 10 point or 5 point touch sensitive screen though. It's also quite a bit more expensive and I'm not sure I like how it converts between a tablet and laptop. I am surprised that an Ideapad has better hardware than a Thinkpad, a little disappointing.

EDIT: 6 months in update.

I am finding it a lot harder to recommend this laptop, having a touch screen is nice, but I almost never fold it back and use it as a tablet because of it's bulky size. I'm probably a bit of a traditionalist but the Metro/Modern UI interface still seems a bit useless to me and is more of a hassle than any kind of benefit.

In addition, the fan seems to be getting louder and more annoying, it kicks on and off constantly if doing anything besides simple web browsing, and it's very noticeable when I'm in my apartment or anywhere remotely quiet. Even with just web browsing it still kicks on enough to be annoying. I monitor temps and it stays about 45-50 Celsius when not being used much.

There are a couple other features which I feel this laptop really should have, and seeing it as almost standard on equivalents is really disappointing. Intel's WiDi would be great on this as it would allow me to project it onto a TV. This would be an awesome HTPC replacement. The battery life is still disappointing. Unfortunately the alternative is getting an Atom powered convertible/tablet which has horrible performance but twice the battery life. The screen resolution is pretty poor, at least a 1600x900 would be a huge improvement. On a thinkpad which is designed for productivity the low resolution really hinders workflow.

Since the tablet mode is not really that functional, I'd recommend the Asus Vivobook lineup. The 11.6inch i3 Vivobook sells for under $500 and offers performance extremely close to the Lenovo Twist. Unfortunately however, even the 14inch i5 Vivobooks still come with just a 1366x768. If I bought again I'd have spent the extra money and gotten the Samsung 700T Convertible. 1080p screen, has WiDi, a stylus/digitizer pen, and a better battery.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...