5.0 out of 5 stars Love my Lenovo
Published 18 months ago by Daniel Haworth

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid system, but hinges SUCK!
Great reliability, tough, fast, workhorse, but on my third set of NEW hinges (they last about 3-6 months max before they start to become wobbly - bad design, every one of these I've played with has the same crappy hinge problem).

Published on October 22, 2011 by TRJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my Lenovo, February 23, 2013
This review is from: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 7658 Notebook (Personal Computers)
Let me tell you a story. A great many years ago, I had an IBM T30. That thing was a tank. It got dropped, battered, and abused. At one point it even flew out of a bicycle toddler trailer and into the middle of a road with very minimal damage. After the life that thing lived in my care, I sold it to a friend, who abused it for 5 more years before the motherboard gave up.

After that machine, I was sold on Thinkpads, and I saved up to custom build a T61. I ordered mine direct from Lenovo and had it customized... 4GBs of RAM, nVidia graphics, Windows XP.. Later on, I put a 500GB hard drive in it and Windows 7.
Lenovo carried on IBM's legacy with the Thinkpads. The quality on this unit is fantastic.
The casing is solid and reliable, all of the components are incredibly reliable. I've never had an issue with my T61.

This thing has been taken all over, dropped, stepped on, and battered. And it's taken all of this abuse with just one little piece of plastic breaking off. The lid hinges are solid stainless steel, the top is solid magnesium, the bottom is thick rugged plastic. This is one well built laptop.

The nVidia NVS Quadro graphics used to be able to play most games with ease. The most modern of games tax it pretty heavily though. Considering it's a business laptop and not really a gaming one, this is pretty good.

All features work well on it, including the kinda gimmicy keyboard light, which actually is quite helpful in the dark. Parts are readilly availble for it as well, so it's an easy machine to fix.
Lenovo's support is second to none. After reinstalling Windows on this machine, the only thing you need to download is the Lenovo update utility and it will take care of the rest. Never seen another manufacture do that!

The only things I've really had issue with is the power supply, which failed on me after a couple of years, and the sound card, which, like most modern systems, is this little Realtek thing that sounds terrible.

But, those are my only real complaints. This poor laptop has been through a lot, and it's been a tough little beast.

I would recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 y/o ThinkPad T61 still gives other laptops a whipping, August 20, 2013
LarryLMedina (Mililani, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 7658 Notebook (Personal Computers)
I did not buy this laptop through Amazon but I wanted to share my thoughts here. I'm a poor counselor, living from paycheck to paycheck in highest-in-the-nation-cost-of-living state of Hawaii, and in college working toward my MSW. I needed a robust laptop to put up with college/work/personal life so I bought this T61 from a refurbisher for $130. It came with Win7, 80GB HDD, 2GB RAM and integrated graphics. Key tops were half-worn on the Home row and the LCD is wobbly from worn hinges. When closed, there is still a bit of play with the lid not latching down tightly. 6 years of existence and the laptop does creak a little on sides. I'm not complaining as this is a used T61 and I didn't expect roses.

I upgraded the HDD and RAM and installed Windows 8. The T61 boots/runs faster with all the upgrades. The non-glare LCD is easy on the eyes, although dimmer than other non-glare LCD's I've seen (this is likely not due to age, since I read similar comments written back in 2007 when the T61 was first released). The touchpad is the smallest I've ever come across on any laptop and took me a while to get accustomed to. The T61's Trackpoint is a relic from the 1990s and I feel is outdated as a mouse control device and useless like a human appendix or a vestigal tail is. Lenovo still insisted to include it (and still does to this day) apparently to keep Trackpoint fans happy. The keyboard is louder/noiser and less firm than other keyboards I've used on other business/professional-grade laptops; however perfectly usable and comfortable to type on happily for hours without fatigue. Speakers aren't loud; a bit tinny to my ears but clear. The LCD lid's rubber coating mars easily but is easily cleaned up with a wiping of Windex. Contrary to another review written here, the lid itself is not solid magnesium: instead, it is a composite plastic (not carbon fiber) over a magnesium frame. Its construction still does the job in keeping it solid and near-flexible. The T61 is of the "thin-and-light" category when "thin-and-light" was defined at around 4-5lbs (the weight of this T61 is 5.2lbs with the stock batt). I got a new 7800mah batt off Amazon.com ($25) which bumps the weight up past 6lbs. Thin, yes. Light? No.

Incidentally, batt life is 9+ hours with this new 7800mah batt under Win8 and in Power Saver mode, wifi off, and LCD dimmed to 50%.

My T61 is good, solid-feeling (and solid-looking) laptop. Everything just works. The T61's early-1990's conservative looks, severely angular lines and all-black color make it look either 20+ years old or modern and contemporary, depending on who's eyeing it (I just think it looks "classic"). Other resellers sell T61's with better specs for up to $400 (and likely in better condition than mine) but I'm happy with the one I got and the price I paid for it. //

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid system, but hinges SUCK!, October 22, 2011
This review is from: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 7658 Notebook (Personal Computers)

I like being able to swap out the memory, hard drive, keyboard easily by yourself. Since Lenovo took these over from IBM, the quality has been going down, but this one is still nicely made (again, except the damn hinges!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo ThinkPad T61, January 29, 2014
This review is from: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 7658 Notebook (Personal Computers)
Lenovo has always come through for me. Rugged, affordable, reliable, these older laptops have delivered good performance and are always a solid financial choice, hundreds of dollars below similar, newer products. I purchased mine through Amazon marketplace with XP installed. I like XP and I don't need anything else for now. I installed 2 memory sticks of 2GB RAM each. The laptop, predictably, went to 3.2GB Ram, not 4. That is the maximum you'll get. I also had the HD replaced at Microcenter, but made the mistake of believing the salesman and instead of a full SSD, I let them put a hybrid HD. My laptop is faster than it would have been with its regular HD, but not even close to as fast as it would have been with a Solid State Drive. Besides, Microcenter charged me a pretty penny for the hybrid HD and for the installation. Corollary: install an SSD, period.

Still, the laptop is great. I bought it used from Tampa Laptops (great seller, by the way). I tweaked what I judged was necessary and I've had a smooth-running laptop ever since. My previous Lenovo I gave to my youngest son, who is not into being really careful with his possessions, and the laptop has faithfully worked as well as when I had it.

My eldest son has a newer Lenovo and that one is excellent, too. Solid brand.

3.0 out of 5 stars Got my money's worth, May 24, 2014
This review is from: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 7658 Notebook (Personal Computers)
Great price on a very usefull laptop. Like the sturdiness and the Zorin OS. Suspect the affordable price may have had something to do with "e" and "down arrow" needing to be cleaned so that it doesn't require a hammer to make those keys work. I have owned several IBMs in the past and still like the "post" much better than a mouse pad. I would make the same purchase, even with difficult keys, again if I needed a utilitarian laptop. aside from the keys issue, everything met my expectation well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Found mine on eBay, December 7, 2013
This review is from: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 7658 Notebook (Personal Computers)
Won this laptop and love it! Definitely has that old school look. I did upgrade the RAM from 3 to 4 and it smokes right along. Love the keyboard and typing is a joy. Love the rock solid feel and can tell it was made back in the day when workmanship mattered. Laptops nowadays are disposable. Love it and look to use it for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars great school/collage laptop!!! durable and powerful!!!, November 23, 2013
This review is from: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 7658 Notebook (Personal Computers)
ok, so im going to start with my specs:
CPU- core 2 duo 2.0ghz
RAM- 4 gigs
HDD- 600 gig seagate

ok, now on to the review. i've had this laptop for a little over a year now and have not had a SINGLE problem with it. as a mador as a fact i'm righting this review on the laptop now.
i upgraded the laptop to windows 7 ultimate and it runs extremely smooth. it boots up just as fast as my teachers mac bookpro!! and that's a 1900$ computer!!

i beat this laptop and it just laughs in my face and comes back for more!!! this is one beast laptop. i would no hesitate when it comes to buying a 2en one!!!
in other words i would tell the world about it.
this laptop has survived drops, spills(on the keaboard), it being thrown, and alot of other crazy things!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a tank of a Laptop!, February 20, 2013
This review is from: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 7658 Notebook (Personal Computers)
The day that I got the T61, I was a little skeptical. It came with Windows Vista Business and it was very laggy and unresponsive, although the PC itself was in great condition. I took windows completely off and put Ubuntu 12.04, since all I do on this is surf the Internet and word processing. I also took the liberty of adding 2 more gigs of RAM. It literally takes about 5 seconds to boot up, I cannot tell you how fast this thing is now. 5 stars all around for a great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great refurb at a very competitive price from Tampa Laptops, January 5, 2013
MarkP (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 7658 Notebook (Personal Computers)
Computer arrived in very good condition and as described. While heavy, the T61 is a solid workhorse that runs Win 7 just fine. Put Linux on it and it will run very fast indeed. How can you do better for $200?

4.0 out of 5 stars Clean, Working, But Some Fan Noise, May 4, 2012
This review is from: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 7658 Notebook (Personal Computers)
This was a good solid deal for a used laptop. It came in nice and clean. I could tell from the stickers on the bottom that it used to have issues which were repaired. Everything worked, and the battery was even fully charged out of the box. The adapter and shell were in good condition. No blemishes on the screen. A cpu and ram test resulted in no errors.

The only fault I can see is the fan does make sounds like its worn and needs to be replaced. I found a cheap replacement part at Amazon, and found some easy to follow instructions on YouTube. So, this shouldn't be a big deal.

I ordered two T61's, and only had a problem with one of them, which the seller, Open Electronics, quickly offered to replace at no cost.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the purchase. These refurb'd Lenovos, along with some new RAM, make for great gifts.

Lenovo ThinkPad T61 7658 Notebook