5.0 out of 5 stars ThinkPad Twist (3347-2HU)
ThinkPad Twist (3347-2HU)
i5-3317U(1.7GHz), 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HD+24GB Micro Solid State Drive, 12.5in 1366x768 LCD, Intel HD Graphics, 802.11abgn wireless, Bluetooth, UltraNav, Secure Chip, Camera, 8c Li-Poly, Win8 Pro 64

Published 22 months ago by FIRE WITCH

3.0 out of 5 stars Better suited for the more advanced/patient user
Update at end of October:
Published 14 months ago by JKTexas

5.0 out of 5 stars ThinkPad Twist (3347-2HU), November 25, 2012
This review is from: Lenovo Twist S230U (33472HU) 12.5" Multi-Touch Ultrabook - Core i5 500GB HDD 24GB SSD 4GB RAM Windows 8 (Personal Computers)
ThinkPad Twist (3347-2HU)

(added info 4/13/2013: First things first,ditch Norton Internet Security. It slows down the twist! But it will put up a fight. After you select it and click "Uninstall", it will make two last ditch efforts to stay installed. Don't fall for it. Under the screen "Select your Uninstall Preference", click the second option: "Please remove all user data." I had to try several times before I figured out the fake out.)

It's sleek looking, light weight considering it is a tablet and a laptop combined. If only it could switch back and forth from Windows 8 Pro to Android. It is fast, loads some sites faster than my Note. (ADDED INFO 12/17/12: WITH AMD APP PLAYER by BlueStacks You can run your fav Android Apps,in a window w/o doing a dual boot! And its a free download. Just google it.)You can have the best of both worlds!

I say the battery life is no so hot, 4 to 5 hours w/ regular surfing the net and non online use. Less if you add in music or Youtube. Running a video on Netflix, 2hrs of vid and surfing and writing this (At same time). I showed battery at 36 min left. But when I stopped movie, power level then said I had 1 hr. So I started movie again, I went in the Kitchen and came back, It had gone into sleep mode w/ only 4% battery left. (Note I run w/o power saver mode, I go for performance)

I was shocked when I ran the Windows experience test, I got a 4.4 over all . I figured it would be better.
Posted results:
Component Details Subscore Base score Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz: 6.9
Determined by
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
Storage
Total size of hard disk(s) 456 GB
Disk partition (C:) 426 GB Free (456 GB Total)
Graphics
Adapter
Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Network Adapter Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
test on 11/25/2012
After running the test, I wish I had went for the i7 w/ 8GB ram. But only had it 2 days at test results, maybe I will figure out how to optimize this thing. I Want to take a peek under the hood and see if I can add ram, This unit supports 8GB.

I love the keyboard, feels as good as the old IBM/Lenovo Laptop keyboards I have always loved. Same goes for the touchpad.(my 1st laptop 10 or 12 yrs ago was IBM)
I like having the bonus of being able to use the keyboard and touch screen simultaneously.
Windows 8 is taking some getting use to. So far I like it, I do hope more apps get added.

The Wifi is excellent, I have not even tried connecting with the RJ-45 yet.

The audio is ok (like most laptop speakers),OOPS! Just tried same song against my Samsung Note 10.1 (android tablet), Sound quality is Superior on the Note. I would not want to hear what the non W-8 PRO would do, Pro is the only version that has a Dolby Home Theater experience, it has a great graphic equalizer. If you use other than the on board speakers it sounds great.

Other cons: no digitizer pen. Auto Rotate is a little annoying, but easy on the side button to turn it off.
But over all I give it a 5 star because it dose a little more that I thought it would. And the for the price, especially on a New release(what I really wanted was $1,600.00).

Lenovo PDF at: [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, December 10, 2012
I've had this for a month now, and although having Windows 8 and a touch screen on a laptop take some getting used to, I really like this laptop / tablet combination. The laptop isn't as good as my X1 Carbon ($1849) and the tablet isn't as good as my 64GB iPad ($799), but considering that the Twist costs only a little bit more than one third as much as the two combined, I'd say the Twist is a screaming good deal.

Here's my opinion of the pros:
- Touch screen
- Doubles as tablet AND ultrabook (.8" thin and 3.5 lbs light)
- Legendary ThinkPad quality
- Best-of-breed spill-resistant keyboard
- Shock-proofing
- Mil-spec durability
- Steel hinges
- TrackPoint pointing device(mouse substitute)
- Great prices on enhanced warranty options (3-year extension, accidental damage protection, battery replacement, and on-site service plans are all quite reasonable)
- Has excellent ports (2 USB3.0, Gb Ethernet, mini-DisplayPort, mini-HDMI, headphone, 4-in-1 card reader, 2 PCIe Mini-card, & security tether)

Cons:
- New system (Windows 8 & touch screen) comes with a steeper learning curve than most laptops
- Auto-rotate is still flaky - can be managed using the side button but is a nuisance if you're used to the iPad
- Windows 8 is still working out a few kinks

In summary, it's a fun system to learn because it represents a new way of interacting with a computer - but that can also be a frustration if you're not prepared to spend some time learning how do to things a bit differently than you're used to. But once you learn the new ways, it feels a lot more productive and enjoyable to use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect for me after tweaks. My best laptop ever!, February 10, 2013
This is not an excellent machine out of the box and almost makes me pretty frustrates at the beginning. However, after tune ups, it works almost perfect.

Overall, it is an ultrabook with no compromise and with not much more dollars i spent, it also supports touch for your desktop apps and also serves as a tablet. What's more, it is also powerful enough to use it for work. The TWIST mode made it very flexible to use in any scenario. My favorite mode is display mode when use it in bed. With the keyboard supporting the laptop, the screen is like a tablet in front of you without the need to hold it. Plus the angle can be easily adjusted.

I love the keyboard, trackpad (although still not as good as apple's but can be fixed by driver update), screen ,touch, powerful, and most importantly the various form factors i can twist it into.

Tweaks i did to solve the problems i had oob.
1) touch pad: i need to change the touch sensitivity to make it follow the finger well. Multi-touch can be enabled from the see of options in the driver preferences. However, there is neither two finger touch as right click, nor inertia for two finger scroll.

2) screen rotation lock: after the driver update recently, it is solved.

3) system freeze once in a while: I believe this is due to ThinkPad's patent that it lock the harddrive when motion detected. You can disable the feature or you can do what i did that I swapped the HD to an SSD. I got a 512GB SSD from amazon for 400 dollars, which is much cheaper than get one from lenovo.

My configuration is core i7, 8GB, 512GB SSD and it is super fast thanks to the SSD. The system restarts in 10 seconds and hibernate/wake in 2 seconds. I use it as a laptop enjoying the great keyboard together with touch, while also use it as a tablet in bed when using IE10. When use it for work, I connect it to the USB3 hub and miniHDMI, and i will three screens (one from USB), external keyboard/mouse. This is really a TWIST that satisfies all my usage cases. Perfect for me at least!

Lastly, i must remind you several things.
1) I was looking for a ultrabook. The functionality of tablet is my second concern when price doesn't add much. So if you are looking mostly for a tablet, this may not be the exactly what you want.
2) The metro apps, lenovo drivers, win8 are all fixing and improving. I am fine with small glitches but if you are not a techie person, you need to try this in the store.
3) The memory is not easily upgradable, so get the 8GB version from lenovo.
4) if you need to upgrade to SSD, you can clone the system using win7 system recovery tool. Then restart the laptop using win8 recovery from thumbdrive after BIOS tweaks (disable secure boot as far as i remember). Then you can recovery the image to the SSD. It is much more trickier to clone/recover in win8.
5) battery is around 3-5 hours. However, battery is not my biggest concern since I don't use it without power adapter for more than 3 hours often. If you need to use it as real mobile device, this may not work for you. Since it uses intel CPU, games, Flash, videos should all drain battery pretty fast. HOwever, browsing web only and closes all other apps will consume battery pretty slow. The lenovo rated 7 hours may come from this usage case.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better suited for the more advanced/patient user, July 10, 2013
Update at end of October:
After reading so many negative recent reviews, I felt compelled to come back and update. First, for those that have a hard drive, turn off active protection. Don't reduce the setting to low , turn it off completely. With that said, I upgraded to the EVO 840 SSD a few weeks back. This thing flies now. Very, very fast. Boot up and shut down are rapid too.

I would be inclined to not purchase this if I read all the negative reviews, but if you will read the comments in these reviews, do your bios and driver updates, turn off active protection and think about getting a SSD, you can't go wrong. And no, you don't need 8GB of memory. W8.x uses memory very efficiently now, and 4GB is going to be enough for most users.

**Update after a few more months (10/13): I thought I would come back and update this review in case anyone finds a twist and is still interested in it. I still love, love, love the fact that I can use the keyboard when I need it without having to dock (or locate the keyboard first). Yes it adds to the bulk but I have other tablets that I use too. I have come to really appreciate the screen too. Battery life is only so-so and wireless is not fantastic but seems to have improved over time to where it is tolerable. There have been at least 2 bios updates and this last one seems to have done the trick on all of the other minor annoyances - screen freezing, not flipping when you want it to etc. So all in all, I have to say that it is one of the better technology purchases that I have made. Comes out of sleep really fast, hibernation and power off - not so fast, but I will remedy that with a SSD soon.

The Twist is a great laptop/tablet in concept. But I have a hard time right now recommending it to the more casual user as there are too many issues with it. As other reviews have said, the machine has issues! It sometimes freezes up, sometimes takes a while to boot, has a flakey wireless signal, and the screen flips around like it has a mind of its own.

I am learning to work through most of these issues. But that is the point of this review, I shouldn't have to know how to deal with the quirks. I should be able to turn it on, and it should do what I want it to do with ease.

I have put 8.1 on it (and several other machines) so I don't know if 8.1 has anything to do with it. But I was having issues with 8.0 also.

Can I live with it? This machine is still in the return period, so the jury is still out, but I am inclined to live with it as I do think it is a great form factor.

Strongest:
- Small, but not too small
- Very nice IPS display with good color
- The "twist" part of the laptop

Weakest:
- Flakey wireless
- Wish it had a hard drive activity light so I could see what it is doing when it freezes up
- The fact that it freezes up
- The fact that it is hard sometimes to get it to power back on.

Overall, this is why I only recommend it for the more advanced user. Just my opinions. I hope this helps someone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Misrepresented Product, April 10, 2013
R. Stevenson (Madison, WI USA) - See all my reviews
In the description of this product, it states that the OS is "Genuine Windows® 8 Professional 64 bit". The tablet/laptop I received had Windows 8 (regular version) on it. I did not realize that the wrong OS was installed until after installing Office 2013 and other software.

I asked the vendor (Tek Depot via Amazon) if they could send a code for Windows 8 Pro since that what I paid for. They said that they were aware the unit is misrepresented on Amazon.com and that they will not help me in any way with the claim. They said I should return it if I am not happy with it and did not acknowledge the DRM issues that would cause with the other software packages.

I chose to spend an extra $100 on a Windows 8 Pro upgrade and give the device to a salesperson. He says the device is a little slow but otherwise acceptable.

Do not buy from Tek Depot! Personally, I will never buy another Lenovo from Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Ultrabook if you like Physical Keyboard, February 18, 2013
First - This is not an iPad replacement. So please do not compare it with cheap tablets.
Description
My configuration includes Core i7, 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD with 24GB SSD which was bought from ebay for 1019$.

Pros:
Weighs only 1.5 Kgs - That 25 grams more than MBR, but hey I have 500 GB HDD
Superb Keyboard
Twist function is a great add-on
Touchscreen is excellent
System is fast to load application (Office, Corel Paint Shop, Wondershare Video converter)
Trackpad has great functions for Windows 8
Good speaker with Dolby
Camera is excellent for Video Chatting but not for taking photos.
Spill Proof Keyboard
Touchscreen works with or without keyboard

No systems is perfect so here are the cons

CONS
Battery life is just about 3 Hrs (But remember this is Core i7 config, i5 will have better battery life)
No Backlit keyboard (Not a Con exactly, but some people like fancy items)
Does not come with Stylus
Small Power button
Screen Rotate has few software bugs, which should be fixed in few weeks (as told by Lenovo)

Conclusion
This is a great work Ultrabook with a comfort of touchscreen when you want & a comfort of keyboard when needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo Delivered as Advertised!, January 27, 2013
Frederick A. Rose (Herndon, VA United States) - See all my reviews
In my search for an Ultrabook with touch screen, I have taken a look at the ASUS 11.6" and Sony T series 13.3" before settling for this Lenovo Twist. I have had this machine for almost a month and so far its been performing great.

PROs- The conversion of the screen to tablet mode and other positions makes this far superior a machine to the others on the market. The HD screen with ISP is the brightest and sharpest 1366 x 768 resolution screen I have seen. I am also happy to have the I5 processor in this machine, it performs very capable and fast. The extra Windows button and volume controls on the screen is a nice idea. This machine is light, portable, has hard disk protection built-in and very stylish. The speakers sound is not strong but adequate. I like the 500 GB hard drive and 24GB SSD combination which makes booting-up very fast and provide lots of storage as on regular laptops. Ideal partner for using Windows 8 with the touch screen features.

CONs- not too many for this machine. The battery doesn't last as long as claimed and is not easily removable. The machine comes standard with 4GB RAM which can be expanded to 8, but access to memory upgrade is extremely difficult for do-it-yourselfers. The touch screen don't always react on first touch but this might be a function of Windows 8 as I have noticed this with other models.

So far, I am very happy with the choice of the machine and would highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars For the price, one of the better tablets, November 26, 2012
I got this for $700 at Staples (black Friday) and I'd say it was a pretty good deal. For the price (even at $900) it is a pretty good offering compared to other intel win8 machines that are currently on the market (which right now is very few). I hope to review things that are Twist specific and not patently obvious on the product description page.

Pros:
- Intel windows 8. Runs most of your x86, amd64 programs (windows programs).
- Runs StarCraft II just fine (low settings), so should be good with other games of similar qualities.
- Runs HD video with ease.
- Runs Photoshop/ CS6 fine.
- Size is perfect. I needed a laptop that could double as a tablet for cramped spaces (car/bus/train)and this works great.
- Hinge is solid build.
- Overall build is acceptable. There is some flex, but I don't think this will crack or break under normal wear.
- Fan/heat is there but it isn't an issue.
- Little bloatware (seems like the bloatware trolls haven't written junk for win8 yet)
- Windows 8 specific pro... it is a very well thought out OS. It has many nice features and, despite what some "first impression" people say, it does not sacrifice any desktop functionality (except the ability to see programs while you access the start menu).

Cons:
- Touchpad is awful. Has lots of "features" but almost none of them work with regularity. Right clicks don't always register, left clicks mostly do but not always. Scrolling is splotchy. The cursor will jump a bit up and down as you try to move it in a straight line. However, the trackpoint joystick thing works great.
- Chiclet keyboard layout isn't my favorite.
- Battery life is way low, 3 hours is to be expected under normal use (web browsing, notes, music)
- Ambient light sensor is poor. It is located at the bottom of the screen and has a bit of the delay. I turned it off after having it change too much.
- Rotation sensor isn't super responsive. To do "tent mode" you have to put it in tablet mode, lock the screen rotation and then use it (this is the official way, as stated on the Lenovo site).

Other notes:
- Function keys (F1-F12) are disabled by default, giving way to special hotkeys (volume up/ airplane mode etc). This is how Mac does it and is annoying for me. I use the function keys a lot. You have to press "function lock" to put it to normal. As far as I know, you have to enable the fn lock after every login.
- fn key is bottom left on the keyboard where I expect ctrl to be. Just something to get used to.
- Webcam is like a webcam. Adequate for Skype, but don't use it to take pictures of the family vacation.
- Sound can get loud enough for me, even if the quality isn't anything special.
- Brightness is adequate.
- [edit] Just noticed the keyboard doesn't have the context menu button! This is the one that is on the right side near ctrl/alt etc that brings up right click menus. I use it all the time while proofreading (spellcheck etc) and it is missing.

[Update 9 Jan 2013]
I was having horrific standby/resume times as well as occasional system hangs, but the culprit was Microsoft Skydrive (the full x86 version). I uninstalled Skydrive and (for the most part) the system is steady.

3.0 out of 5 stars great when it actually boots, June 15, 2013
This laptop is fine when it actually boots up. It often doesn't boot, and can take several tries before it will actually boot up. In this it's not unlike a previous netbook I've had which was quite temperamental about booting up.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is the future of laptops, January 8, 2013
Very light and easy to carry around. Even in tablet mode it feels natural and not very heavy. Fast processing speed. Downside is relatively low battery (lasts about 3.5 hours on average) but otherwise great product.

Hoping future models will have higher resolution and better battery.

Rate and Discover Movies