5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop
Published 8 months ago by spudboy

3.0 out of 5 stars wireless problems
This computer is beautifully designed and fast. The only reason that it is not receiving 5-stars is because of the issues that it had with the wireless signal dropping constantly. This issue began out-of-the-box. The network drops consistently and upon reconnecting, will sometimes only give limited network connectivity.
Published 5 months ago by Matthew R. Schwartz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop, April 2, 2014
This review is from: Lenovo IdeaPad U430 Touch Ultrabook 14-Inch Touch-Screen Laptop, (Intel Core i7-4500U processor, 4GB Memory, 500GB Hard Drive) (Personal Computers)
While it might not look like anything special out of the box, this is an incredibly versatile computer. There is an m.2 NGFF SATA slot inside, so one can install an additional SSD (up to 42mm in length, i I think 128gb is the max capacity available in this size) alongside the 500gb stock drive. This will allow you to have a blazing fast SSD for your OS and programs while using the stock SSHD for storage. The included 4GB of RAM is not soldered onto the board so you can remove it and upgrade to an 8GB stick. The laptop might be slightly heavier than other ultrabooks but case is aluminum and feels incredibly solid. Outstanding build quality for such a low price point. It is a fairly "thin" laptop (closer to MacBook Pro thickness instead of MacBook Air). The backlit keyboard is nice to type on. The battery life is excellent (I get 6-7 hours mixed use) and there is even a gigabit LAN port built in with no adapter required.

Cons? The UEFI BIOS can cause issues if you decide to reinstall your OS and aren't careful. The screen isn't the greatest. The resolution is perfectly adequate but it starts to look washed out at anything below 50% brightness if you're outdoors. The included Intel WiFi 7260-N card is not the dual-band variant; I haven't run into any reception issues as a result, but it's worth noting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall very pleased! 3 week in review as of 6/11/14, June 11, 2014
I have to say that overall I am pleased with this ultrabook. I'll list the pros and cons so you can decide for yourself!

Pros:
-Great battery life
-Quick charge
-Great heat management due to fan placement
-Sleak and beautiful design
-Backlit keyboard thats very comfortable
-Very light and thin
-I7 makes this machine work wonders
-Contains use 3.0 USB
-strong hinge so it seems to be quite durable compared to other laptops

Cons:
- Speakers are OK but not the greatest
- The mousepad randomly freezes for short periods of time then fixes itself (using the touch screen will fix the issue if you dont feel like waiting a few minutes) do note that I believe this is a Windows 8 issue
-brightness is not the best on this device so using it outside in the daylight might not be the greatest...
-SD cards do not go inside the device all the way they only go in halfway

Overall I recommend this laptop to anyone and for the price I would consider it to be one of the best bargins you can possibly get! If you have any questions I would be glad to answer them.

3.0 out of 5 stars wireless problems, July 21, 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid laptop with some drawbacks, May 28, 2014
I spent about two weeks looking for a laptop/ultrabook in the $500-$700 range with the following characteristics: lightweight and thin (i.e. no optical drive), 14" display, 4-8 GB RAM (or at least capable of memory upgrade), expandable hard disk, SSD (ideally, but not a requirement), at least one USB 3.0, and good reviews here on Amazon. I ultimately bought a refurbished U430 after also considering a few ASUS models.

After about a month and a half with my U430, I'm mixed on my purchase. While the display resolution is a notch up from comparable ultrabooks in this price range, this isn't really noticeable to me because of the generally washed out colors, and worse, the very shiny, reflective monitor that make the computer very annoying to use in all but dark environments. After a few hours on the computer, my eyes feel worn and tired from all the glare. Another issue is this model's continuous scroll function, where the mouse continues to scroll when I move my fingers into the top or bottom of the mousepad. I don't know how to disable this function, and it makes scrolling extremely annoying. I have to keep my fingers within a narrow area of the mousepad when scrolling or the page will quickly scroll away. I would also say that the mousepad is far less responsive than the mousepad on the MacBook Air (which my girlfriend owns). Perhaps this is an unfair comparison because these two computers are in different price ranges, but like the issues with the display/monitor and the continuous scroll that I note above, I think basic hardware and computer functions should not be noticeable issues in a mid-level computer from a manufacturer like Lenovo. I would also say that this computer feels heavier than the 4-point-something pounds that is listed in the specs.

On the plus side, the machine works fast, feels solid, is thin, and the battery keeps a long charge (5-7 hours depending on energy settings). The keyboard is also very comfortable to use. I also like that the RAM and hard disk are upgradable for when I have the budget to do that.

Overall, a nice machine that I'm liking more as I get used to it, but a machine that I don't feel really psyched to have, either now or over the next 4 or 5 years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice components ruined by a bad screen, September 21, 2014
Luc (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
Out of the box, the system was very slow. I had to update all of the drivers and rebuild the search index to get the system running smoothly. Once that was completed, the system ran well, but the screen is awful. Colors are washed out and incredibly innacurate, the contrast is abysmal, and the screen isn't very bright. The higher 1600x900 resolutiondoesnt really matter if its the only good thing about the display. On the plus side, this laptop has excellent battery life, 7-8 hours of normal use. Its very fast, but the wireless card is junk. It doesn't support the new AC standard and constantly dropped connections. Even driver updates didn't help. The worst part is that the wireless card can't be updated because Lenovo uses a BIOS whitelist. I cannot recommend this laptop, I would spend my money elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars So impressed, especially for just $700, July 9, 2014
My roommate for college just bought this computer because he is stuck on a $700 budget. I have a expensive Macbook Pro, and I love it, but I am so impressed by what he got for the price. He paid just under his budget, and got a 14-incher with an attractive aluminum build/chassis. Its pretty light (4 lbs) and feels sturdy enough. The screen resolution and speakers are just decent, but the keyboard is great, keys are nicely sized and pretty snappy, unlike some of its best competitors. This is especially what set it apart from Dell's Inspiron 15, alongside battery life. My only mild concern is that the touchpad is a bit unresponsive; two-fingered gestures for scrolling were sometimes either not picked up or a bit lagged in their response (more of the former than the latter). When they were detected, the page liked to zoom up/down a a zippy rate that wasn't nearly as accurate as of that of my macbook.

What really delighted me was how the machine was overall quiet and didn't generate much heat, even while watching movies and such. Im not a fan of windows 8.1, but the computer runs it well, and fast. The i7 processor is quality, and despite the powerful processor, the battery life is still as good as some of the best windows out there. My Macbook barely outlasted it by 45 minutes in a video test we did for fun.

All in all, I think this laptop is superior to others in its price range and some beyond, and it looks and feels like a $900 computer. If only the screen was a standard HD 1920x1080 resolution. Its a 4 star laptop at a 6 star price!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great laptop with an unbelievable price, September 24, 2014
This is a great laptop. It has plenty of power to handle just about anything you throw at it. The screen viewing angles are decent, but not spectacular, but the touch screen works very well. The keyboard is comfortable to type on.

Overall, the size and weight of the laptop is also very good. It was much sleeker than I thought it would be (the wedge shape helps there).

Note that this is NOT a gaming laptop, and you shouldn't buy this expecting to be able to play new games maxed out. That being said, in recent years Intel has really stepped up their game in integrated graphics, and this laptop shows it. It'll play older games and push video content with absolutely no problem.

For the price, I don't think there is a better general purpose laptop out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Laptop yet, June 3, 2014
Alana Weston (Clinton, MS United States) - See all my reviews
This is my favorite laptop I've had so far. Super fast, super light, super quiet. Having the backlit keyboard is so nice and having the touch screen is a must with Windows 8. Seriously - wish I could give it more stars. Super impressed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a great laptop for the price!.........except for..................., September 8, 2014
Incredible computer! Super fast, quite light and thin. Nice keyboard, thanks for making it backlit. The touchscreen is alright I guess...I've never seen the point. The trackpad isn't great...But overall it's a great entry level ultrabook....except for one VERY HUGE FLAW. The horrendously terrible screen. I read reviews it wasn't great, but WOW is it absolute s**t. I turned it on to see what was SUPPOSED to be a black booting screen. The top was an awkward dark greyish purple while the bottom of the screen was a lighter grey. I understand this isn't an IPS display, but this completely redefines the low for TN panels. There is nothing even remotely close to black. I often find myself searching for ways to angle the screen so that I can comfortably type while being able to even read the screen. It's that bad. Lenovo WHY would you spend so much time and effort to deliver such a great ultrabook with an i5/i7 CPU, premium aluminum body, and super thin design and cheap out on a display??? I just have to return it. It's unusable. I am completely and utterly astounded by how terrible it is. The average person probably wouldn't care...but this isn't geared toward the average unintelligent human being!! It's made for someone who's willing to spend a very substantial $700+ on a laptop. Always been a fan of Lenovo for their sense of style, but this may be the end of our relationship. I would give it a single star, but they did such an outstanding job with the rest of the ultrabook (minus the display) I just had to take pity and add another. Fail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refurbished for a Bang of Your Buck, December 9, 2014
This laptop is an ultrabook mainly for the cause of the lightness an the portability. I have had this laptop since 3-4 months. From what i have experienced with this laptop are the battery is great for a laptop; it last 5-7 hours mostly but it really depends on what applications you are opening, even though it may not be smaller than a mac air it has touchscreen capability. What I really like is the back light keyboard which allows me to see during the dark. The prices new are relatively the same ($650-$700) with a mac air but buying a refurbished product of this Lenovo U430 may save you a lot of money($530).
The downside of this laptop is, it is not a detachable laptop where the touchscreen may be a lot useful if it could be detached becoming a tablet. Even though the battery life is relatively long, what I hate the most is, it is an unremovable battery which may cause problems for people who like to plug in their laptops the whole day. No optical drive (for DVD/CD) which could be handled by buying an USB optical drive but it would not matter if you are the flash disk type of person. The screen also has a reflective glare which happens if you are in a well lit area. For some people it may really annoy you.
Overall to me this is the best laptop for the price of the refurbished one. If you rather buy new things than this might not be your best choice.