4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good
Published 8 months ago by Pippa Lee

1.0 out of 5 stars Lenovo's latest short-coming, The "B" should stand for "Boat anchor".... Please pass on it.
This is a laptop in name only. It's much more a local bank's freebie give-away, such as when you open a hundred dollar account. Kind of a nothing for something.

Lenovo happily took money from us, and gave us only the lamest, most mundane-performing boat anchor in return. This door stop is in NO WAY suggestive of the former glory which was the IBM ThinkPad...
Published 1 month ago by BoredCutter

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, March 30, 2014
Pippa Lee (Honolulu, HI USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lenovo B590 Windows 7 i3 15.6-Inch Laptop (Black) 59410451 (Personal Computers)
Since Microsoft is ready to pull the plug on its Windows XP this coming April, I decided I needed to buy a new computer. They have made it clear that it is not going to be safe to surf the Internet and do online transactions once WIN XP is no longer updated. Instead of a traditional desktop tower, I decided to give myself more mobility and location flexibility by buying a laptop.

My computer needs are pretty basic: Internet surfing, word processing, light photo editing and the occasional DVD watching. The Lenovo B590 has so far fulfilled all those needs pretty well. This laptop has a plastic case and a matte finish that means I don't have to be afraid of leaving unsightly fingerprints or oil marks all over it. However, I have to admit that the Lenovo B590 is not the sexiest or most exciting-looking laptop either. It's actually rather plain looking. It weighs a little over 5 lbs. and if you plan to buy one of those tight sleeves to protect it, make sure the sleeve stretches to at least 1 1/2" to accommodate the laptop thickness. What you get in the box is the laptop, the battery pack, power cord, and ac power adapter and a sheet of paper with the initial setup instructions and an illustration of the controls and indicators of the laptop. If you want a manual or user guide, you have to download it from the Lenovo website.

Setting up the laptop was easy. I had no problems configuring WIN 7. I just followed the instructions on the screen. The laptop had no difficulty identifying and connecting to my wi-fi home network. Until I get a wireless mouse, I've plugged a USB-corded mouse to the laptop and it's working fine along with the touch pad. This laptop comes preloaded with Adobe Reader X, Nitro Pro 8, Evernote installer, Skype, Lenovo tool suites to manage and check for updates from the maker, a free trial of McAfee Internet Security and a limited-time free subscription to Lenovo Cloud Storage. It doesn't come with any Office starter but there's a quick link if you're interested in purchasing it or in trying Office 365 free for a limited time. Since MS Office is so expensive, I've downloaded the free, open source LibreOffice suite instead and it fits my word processing needs for the time being. The battery lasts me about 4 or 4 and half hours. The laptop gets warm underneath but not hot. My brother actually complimented the keyboard of the Lenovo. He said it was better designed than his Toshiba laptop. The tray for the DVD seemed fragile to me. I was afraid it was going to come off completely when I was pulling it further out to put the DVD in it. The speakers didn't seem impressive to me. The camera is suitable for Skyping. The only things that have annoyed me so far are the McAfee pop ups to remind me to buy the their services before the trial period is over; Lenovo's ones, encouraging me to install their Small Business Solution (I'd like to know more about it before doing it) and MS Windows updates that are configured before I even had a chance to sign on to the computer. As I don't use this laptop to play games, I can't tell its performance in that respect. Other than those pop ups, I'm happy with the B590 laptop. It works well for my basic computer needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with my Lenovo, March 30, 2014
I had a desktop and I had no room on my desk to put anything else but the computer but with this laptop I can push it back and have plenty of room. I was recommended to get a Lenovo Laptop and my husband was recommended to get a Lenovo desktop by our computer guru and so far they have been very good. No problem with them at all. I had never heard of Lenovo in my life till our computer man highly recommended it and we looked on the Consumer Report guide and it was rated very high so we bought the two of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Basic Windows 7 Computer, May 5, 2014
Albert Mathieu (Norwalk, Ct., US) - See all my reviews
For the price meets speed, core i3 intel processor, and good all around surfing and business requirements. The 4Gb RAM and 500 GB HDD round it out nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Love Love, April 15, 2014
This is a great laptop - and it has Windows 7. It's fast, it's professional looking, it's rugged, and the price is reasonable. The "out of the box" Windows 7 installation isn't the best with all the bloatware but after you either uninstall the bloat or perform a fresh install like I do with the legitimate COA key on the bottom of the laptop, this baby is smooth sailing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth Running Laptop, April 30, 2014
Nice laptop that runs smoothly and well. Built solid and should give years of service for normal office use. Speeds is more than adequate for normal office use (MS Office) and for surfing the net. Not for heavy gaming but good for my needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic computer !!, May 7, 2014
Fast and dependable. Light weight and easy to carry. The battery seems to remain charged in the 90% range for several hours. I would recommend this Lenovo for general business use.

5.0 out of 5 stars excelent, March 19, 2014
I have very little space for a computer in my home and the laptop always has worked for me. Additionally, I only need a computer for a very small amount of things and the Lenovo was highly recommended by a friend who is an it techie and knows my needs due to my near computer iliteracy. As usual the Amazon price was right and delivery of the computer was within 2 days of ordering. How amazing is that? what a wonderful place it is to shop at Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazin Computer and Bargain!, May 1, 2014
Thank you so much! Amazon has never failed to me. This time I bought more than 1,000 dollars in electronic products and every on them got my home safe and working. No issues. All Good!

5.0 out of 5 stars ... couple of days and it works perfectly Thank You Good Job!, July 5, 2014
No hassle exchange for the one that did not function as it should
The new one came in a matter of a couple of days and
it works perfectly
Good Job!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine for basic tasks, July 31, 2014
WiseOldMan (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought the Lenovo B590 to replace my wife's aging IBM T60 laptop. The T60 was running XP and had only 2G of memory. I don't want to spend the money to upgrade the memory and Windows 7 OS on this fairly slow laptop. If you don't have too high of expectation on a $430 laptop, this B590 would be fine for everyday basic tasks like email, word processing, and web surfing. I guess the letter B in the model number must be stand for Basic or Budget. Comparing to T60, which is a business class laptop, the B590 just feel cheap. The keyboard doesn't have that nice IBM keyboard feel. The display is not as sharp as the T60. The sound from the speakers is muffled, you can understand the speech but you probably won't like the music. The laptop boot up fairly fast, it takes about 30 seconds from power up to a stable dasktop. Unlike other laptops, it is not hot at all so you won't need a cooling pad. There are no dedicated media control buttons, instead PF keys are used for these functions. The touchpad is very sensitive, I found the cursor moving around while typing because I accidently brushed the touchpad, luckly the touchpad can be disabled easily with push of a PF key.