5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the book I've been waiting for!
Published on August 19, 2010 by Kats Eye

2.0 out of 5 stars Neophytes only
Published on November 17, 2010 by Darrell J. Lew

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, the book I've been waiting for!, August 19, 2010
This review is from: Lensbaby: Bending your perspective (Paperback)
I got my lensbaby composer back in February and immediately started looking for books on the subject so I could learn how to use it most effectively. Imagine my disappointment when I realized there were none available. Then I found this book and it was everything I had been hoping for. I learned so much about the various ways to use the lensbaby and its accessories. I learned tips and tricks for doing things I hadn't even thought of. Since I got this book I've had my lensbaby out every time I've gone on a shoot and I've gotten the most amazing images! I finally feel as though I can use my lensbaby without fear of missing an important shot.

This book is very inspirational as well as informative. Looking at the pictures in the book shows me the possibilities and really makes me want to grab my camera and just go shoot something. I haven't gotten so much enjoyment and knowledge out of a book in a long time.

I highly recommend this book to anyone with a lensbaby as well as those who don't have one. If you can read this book without wanting to instantly buy a lensbaby, you're not a real photographer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Creativity becomes you!, November 12, 2010
Eric Hobart (La Center, WA United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Lensbaby lens system is a relatively new innovation in photography, and this book is by far the best I've found to help someone get ideas on how to use the Lensbaby and execute those ideas.

When I ordered this book, I did not have a Lensbaby lens, though I was seriously considering one. This book really pushed me over the edge, convinced me to actually purchase the lens, and I am very pleased that I did so.

The book is a tad limited/dated, though. It only addresses 3 lenses - the composer, the muse, and the control freak. It does not really touch much on the 3G (the original) or the newer Lensbaby innovations, such as the tilt-shift lens. These limitations notwithstanding, the book is an outstanding addition to your creative library!

I especially enjoyed the 'accessories' section, which helped me to better understand why I might want to purchase such peripherals as the 'Creative Aperture Kit" or the Wide Angle/Telephoto Kit.

The Lensbaby certainly does not replace the standard lenses in a serious photographer's bag, but it is fun, and this book will help you make the most of your investment in this new concept. I highly recommend this book to all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great overall how to/explanations/examples for the lensbaby, November 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this book for my wife who is a professional photographer and has her own lensbaby that she has been playing with for quite a while.

This book is extremely helpful for the new and experienced lensbaby user. Not only are there superb examples of the amazing results you can get from proper use of the lensbaby, but there are very good sections that explain all aspects of the use and features of the lensbaby.

The sections also include some technical explanations if you are wanting to know which accessories or lensbaby version will be best for you. Extensive examples and portfolios help the reader to find which techniques and accessories will work for the desired effects.

Overall a great how to with plenty of examples for the new and experienced user.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps to decide which baby you want to adopt..., November 4, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been wanting to get a lensbaby for a long time - but there are so many choices available - which one should I get first? At first blush, the photos look as though they could be reproduced w/ similar effects in Photoshop. Yes and no. One thing any photographer learns as they gain experience is that it's far better to do all your cropping and composing in the viewfinder first, so there's minimal tweak time afterwards. The effects attained with still life and portrait photography are nothing short of amazing. Adding a dream-like halo or streak in each shot - helping to keep the viewer's eye on the subject, not distracting surroundings. It takes the randomness and guesswork out of Holga photography. This book highlights every lens in the lensbaby lineup with several examples and detailed descriptions. It's a great resource to not only help you make a purchase decision, but also to get the best out of any lensbaby you acquire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this new aspect to Photography., September 1, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having loved photography since I was a small child I was immediately drawn to this new way and concept in creative photography. I have always loved macro shots and using filters. I have a Meranda SLR 35mm with many filters and lenses. From that I have endless wonderful shots. Then I switched to digital and currently have a basic 8.1 Mega Pix Pentax. I can do a lot with it but not like I did with the 35mm. So then I got into doing my modifications with photo programs but that is just not the same as getting a great shot you don't digitally enhance.

I now have on my wish list an SLR digital camera that will be compatible with the Lensbaby lenses. This book will be all I need to dive into the new world of Lensbaby. The photo's are beautiful and the explanations of the individual lenses are excellent. To a lover of photography this book is eye candy. My favorites so far are the double glass shots.

The book is very high quality with glossy paper and color photos on almost every page with the name of the lens shot at what speed. You get details of how Corey was able to get these beautiful shots. It is all you will need to compliment you Lensbaby collection.

So bend baby and see a new perspective you never dreamed possible.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an inspiring book, October 27, 2010
MichiganTraveler (Midland, MI United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been a photographer - both professionally and casually - for years. And I'm always on the lookout for inspiration and creative ways to enjoy what is now a hobby. The LensBaby is a great tool for doing that and you can spend hours upon hours exploring all of the possibilities of that lens. The great thing about this book is that it provides a starting point for you to explore what you didn't even know was possible. It short-cuts the creativity curve and lets you go out and enjoy the LensBaby lens instead of spending all of your time experimenting. There's something to be said for learning on your own. But I recommend this book if you want to go right out and start using this lens and having fun with it. Easy to read. Fun to look at. And inspiring.

2.0 out of 5 stars Neophytes only, November 17, 2010
This review is from: Lensbaby: Bending your perspective (Paperback)
I have used the Composer lens for a few months now and was looking for a refence manual to help me with some pointers how to use the Lensbaby more creatively. This book sounded good and seems to one of the only ones dedicated to the LB itself. After finishing the book I felt that it was a little too generic. It's the type of book that should accompany the lens itself if you know absolutely nothing about the book. Anyone with that's been workingbwith the LB for a few weeks or so wouldn't benefit from it tooi much.

The book didn't really give any insight on how look at things in a more creative way in photographing with the LB itself. For me, the book wasn't too inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful for the new Lensbaby owner, December 31, 2010
This review is from: Lensbaby: Bending your perspective (Paperback)
I am only up to page 55 and I feel like I have gotten enough helpful knowledge to give this book 5 stars. It gives a lot of basic information and it's one of the few photography books that I have read word for word and not just skipped through to the bits I was interested in. I find it very helpful that the photo examples in the book share the aperture disc size and which Lensbaby/optics were used. I can't say that this book inspired me, but it did give me the knowledge I needed so that I can stop fighting with the mechanics of the Lensbaby and find my own inspiration through the lens. Because of this book I found so much more enjoyment in my Composer that I also adopted a Muse.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to begin, January 10, 2011
This review is from: Lensbaby: Bending your perspective (Paperback)
I had bought the lens baby lens at a photo show as I had been intrigued with some of the work that had been done with it. The problem that I had was I was at a loss as to how to proceed with its use. This book helped me to understand how the various components work together to accomplish the interesting results that I have seen. Although because of the weather and my lack of mobility at this time of year I have not been able to be out to do the kind of photography I like. Come spring I'm looking forward to taking some interesting wild flower shots because of the help of this little book .

4.0 out of 5 stars Ah HA!, October 21, 2010
Corey A. Doyle (North Canton, Ohio) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've owned my Lensbaby Composer for about 2 years now and I've NEVER got it to take the pictures I want. Rather than messing with it I just tossed it on the shelf. This book has finally got me to drag it out again and figure what I was doing wrong. I love that all of the specs are on the images in the book and that they walk you through each lens and aperture ring along with shooting in different situations. This is a great book for anyone wanting to learn to get the most out of their Lensbaby.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Lensbaby: Bending your perspective
Lensbaby: Bending your perspective by Corey Hilz (Paperback - July 7, 2010)
Used & New from: $4.01