5.0 out of 5 stars A review from somebody who's actually used this product.
Published on November 17, 2009 by D. Giesler

3.0 out of 5 stars Addendum to the lack of tech. details
While it doesn't seem to me to be that difficult to hit Google and find the description direct from Lensbaby LLC, I do have to agree that the technical details section is not only lacking in details, but downright erroneous.

Published on January 11, 2009 by Dennis L. Bieber

5.0 out of 5 stars A review from somebody who's actually used this product., November 17, 2009
This review is from: Lensbaby Optic Kit (Camera)
I love my Lensbaby Composer. It gives a very artistic and unique look to any photo you take with it. While my Composer came with the double glass, which is very sharp in the sweet spot, the single glass, plastic, and pinhole/zone plate optics are just as fun to use. The single glass optic gives a softer look in the sweet spot, the type you'd find in an antique camera. The plastic optic is very fun, giving you the look/feel of an old toy camera. Very soft images, dreamy in a sense. The pinhole/zoneplate optic is very different. You have to have a tripod for this optic, being as the zoneplate is a fixed f/19 and the pinhole is fixed at f/177.

All of these optics will work with the Lensbaby Composer, Muse, and Control Freak. Also, the creative aperture kit will work with the Single glass and Plastic optic, in addition to the Double glass optic, but not the pinhole/zoneplate.

These are very easy to use with the lensbaby, have great instructions that come with them, and the Lensbaby community is very supportive and knowledgeable.

These cannot be used by themselves, they must be used in concert with a Lensbaby Composer, Muse, or Control Freak. If you need additional "technical details" (this is directed at the other reviewers), I suggest you actually use the internet and google Lensbaby, or just go to [...] and check out the kit from there and quit writing erroneous reviews, bringing down the star-rating of this phenomenal kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Lensbaby, March 12, 2013
This review is from: Lensbaby Optic Kit (Camera)
I own the entire Lensbaby system and I love it. That being said, there are a few things to think about before jumping in:
• Lensbaby is fun and addictive; once you start you’ll want to buy the whole system.
• There is a learning curve to using the Lensbaby lenses. You should be comfortable with using your camera in full manual mode or at least aperture preferred mode. You should understand exposure and how aperture, shutter speed and ISO affect your image and how they interrelate.
• Learn to be disciplined in using Lensbaby or any other technique. To adopt an old saying; “When you have a new hammer, every problem looks like a nail.” I’m a great believer that the shot should dictate the technique not the other way around. The exception is when you are learning to master a new technique or piece of equipment. Put your new Lensbaby on your camera and spend a day or more shooting anything and everything. You’ll learn not only how to use it, but when to use it. Then put it in your bag and you’ll be ready to pull it out whenever the perfect shot comes along.
Lensbaby has a terrific website. Spend some time looking at all their videos and then jump in.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun lens WITH soem serious artisitc applications, July 29, 2014
This review is from: Lensbaby Optic Kit (Camera)
Love the lensbaby for certain types of shots- What I do is ride around I n a car, set the focus to about 20-30 feet away, and take very quick snapshots out driver's side window of buildings, people walking by, trees, mountaisn etc- and ity gives the photos a real spontaneous and almost ethereal feeling to them because it picks up the motion as well- with practice you can get some pretty neat looking shots this way. I don't even look through the viewfinder obviously, because I'm driving, but like I said, with lots of practice, you can time your shots and get the framing you want for most shots- It's more of a special occasion lens system- as the lensbaby look isn't for everyone, or for every subject- but I've found it works really well for the look I'm after which includes blur motion, sharper subject capture, with great ethereal lensbaby colors and softness- you just have to try it to see what I mean- Also, it's great for certain looks of certain subjects- for instance, Kathleen Clemmons uses the lensbaby and macro filter to get absolutely great shots of flowers- a subject particularly well suited to the soft lensbaby look- check out her work to see what I mean-

I Mostly use the double glass and the f-stop 4-8 or so occasionally using the f/2- I don't bother with the smaller f-stops like f-22-16 as I'm not as crazy about the look of shots at those smaller f-stops- it approaches regular lens look by those f-stops in my opinion- I want the soft, cool colors you get with the larger f-stops

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but I don't use them much., April 13, 2014
This review is from: Lensbaby Optic Kit (Camera)
These are fun lenses, but I rarely use them. I wish I had more chance to use them, but they are difficult to find reasons to use them... Worth it if you have a little extra money and enjoy photography.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be creative, February 10, 2010
This review is from: Lensbaby Optic Kit (Camera)
The set of lenses help to bring out the creative part of your photgraphy. There is a nice selection of images that you can do. Chances are you will prefer one over the others and use it more.

5.0 out of 5 stars great addition to the lensbaby, April 3, 2013
Peter Moore (MANCHESTER, NH, US) - See all my reviews
easy to use
great effects
nice price
well made
color coated
durable
would recommend to a friend
will buy other like items

4.0 out of 5 stars Good deal on 3 optics, but why no aperture disks?, August 15, 2011
This review is from: Lensbaby Optic Kit (Camera)
I'm quite happy with the price for this set of optics and happy with the optics themselves. The only issue I really have is that for some reason this set does *not* come with aperture disks. Often this won't be a problem if you, for example, bought a Composer with a double glass optic (which should have come with all of the disks), but if you bought a Composer Pro with Sweet 35 that didn't come with any aperture disks then you're out of luck if you then buy this.

I contacted Lensbaby and they rectified the problem by sending me all the aperture disks I was missing, which is great service, but the "kit" should have come with them in the first place.

So I would give the optics in the kit 5 stars, but I give the "kit" itself 4 simply because it was missing something that was essential for making this a real kit rather than an "expansion bundle" that appears to assume that you already bought a double glass or something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a counter-rating, October 20, 2008
This review is from: Lensbaby Optic Kit (Camera)
Some guy reviewed this product as a one-star without owning or using it, or even knowing what they do. I'm just submitting this ranking to bring the overall rating back to ground level.

By the way, knowing what these do, once I'm able to get these, I'm going to love using them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Addendum to the lack of tech. details, January 11, 2009
This review is from: Lensbaby Optic Kit (Camera)

So far as I know, this kit ONLY fits the Lensbaby Composer model -- it does not fit the three earlier incarnations (original flex-bellows uncoated lens with screw-in aperture holder, v2.0 flex-bellows coated lens with magnetic aperture holder, and the flex-bellows version with the snap-lock angle-holding legs). The Composer uses a solid shaft with ball-joint for angling (and probably has a helical focus system -- mine is due to arrive this week so I can't be definitive). As a result, the lens elements can be easily swapped out of the ball-joint/shaft.

Off-hand, I believe this kit consists of: single-element glass lens (the Composer comes with a double-element glass); a plastic lens; and a pin-hole camera fitting.

Correction: It appears the /newest/ flex-bellows model (now called the Muse) DOES accept this kit... But I stand by the statement with regards to the original, the 2.0, and the one with the legs being incompatible

Lensbaby Optic Kit