Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lenses of Contact
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Audio CD|Change

on July 20, 2003
This is a great CD but three out of the four songs on it are also on her The Other Side of Time, which is a five star CD by anybody's definition. I'd give this one five stars except that there are only four songs on the whole CD. Get The Other Side of Time instead, you won't be disappointed!
on January 19, 2001
Once, while in a Dayton mall I heard October Project's "Bury My Lovely" for the first time. And music will never be the same for me. I still love everything about OP, but it was Mary Fahl's voice that first drew my attention. Had it not been for her Siren's call haunting my mind, I might never have been drawn toward her amazing sound.
She's back in her first Solo effort, LENSES OF CONTACT. Sadly the disk is too short, but I judge it was never meant to be a full effort, just something to whet your appetite, something to tide you over from the Downy commercial or that Animal Planet theme. This disk is cheap at twice the price.
Simply put, LENSES OF CONTACT is a beautiful disk, full of deeply felt lyrics, and beautifully-produced melodies that never overpower Mary's singing--as if that were possible. I shouldn't be surprised, but I was; with this effort Mary has established herself as a lyricist and poet. Mary was the major force behind all the lyrics with the exception of REDEMPTION by Ramsey McLean (New Orleans jazz combo. Ramsey McLean & the Survivors) Regarding Ramsey's prowess, Harry Connick Jr, once said, "He's amazing." ( ... ) But know this: REDEMPTION is not a jazz riff.
Mary's four songs pull your heart strings. For me, they conjure up images of rain swept landscapes and melancholy Sunday afternoons. These are songs of love, songs of emotion, songs of break-up, songs of longing, and songs of growing.
No one tune outshines another, but my favorite is MEANT TO SAY. For me it's a haunting memory of a thousand fights between couples and a thousand attempts at mending fences. In a few words she speaks volumes on that theme.
"If what I said and what you heard today, had only been what I had meant to say, I know you'd understand ..."
PAOLO is amazing as well and so heartfelt, it must recount a past love. Beautiful, clear piano to complement Mary's voice, a lilting acoustic guitar far in the background, and just the right touch of percussion so effective, so much a part of the music (not the rhythm), I think it could be tympani. But you can do so much with drums these days.
I hope RAGING CHILD is autobiographical. I am probably way off, but here's an incorrigible daughter captured in a ballad so haunting it makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. "Don't ever minimize the cool girl. She is a warrior and still tender. You have no choice. Her heart is numb to your voice."
If you're reading this review, you certainly know October Project. If was Mary's voice that drew you in, you are going to love this disk. Buy it now, then tell your friends Mary's back.
on February 13, 2001
Like others before me I first became entranced with Mary Fahl's voice from her days with October Project. Her voice is dark, haunting, and pure. While a great fan of many of the woman vocalists over the years, I can offer no one I would compare to her. I had the great fortune to see October Project three times when they performed in the Detroit area before they broke up. I could not believe that someone with that voice could retire. The current EP, Lenses of Contact, is a must for any October Project fan. Her new material has stripped away some of the catchy music and exposed the raw soul of Mary Fahl. Mary, do us all a favor and record some more of your music for us. It has been way too long to wait.
on December 10, 2001
After the demise of October Project, I wondered when Mary was going to have a solo project out. Fear not, fans of October Project...the voice is back and as amazing as ever!
Hearing Mary in concert on December 1st, 2001 in NJ, I was astounded by how tiny her body for such an enormous sound. She opened the concert with "Raging Child" and it was magic for the rest of the evening.
"Raging Child" is fantastic. Powerful, emotive and strong...all of which I had come to expect from Mary Fahl.
"Paolo" is sentimental and poignant.
"Meant to Say" is beautifully written and Mary's voice shines on the chorus.
"Redemption"...what can I say...this song was amazing in concert. When I purchased the cd, I wasn't expecting it to live up to the majesty of her live performance. I can admit it...I was wrong! Soaring vocals, bare instrumentals to back-up the poetic lyrics...it is stunning and worthy of the idolized Mary Fahl.
Thank You, Mary Fahl...again, the Goddesses have sent you to muse to the world and you have delivered. Blessed be.
on September 28, 2004
There's no question that Mary Fahl has a great voice, as most of the reviewers here have attested. But check out the fine print (that Amazon forgot to mention) "Selections from..." There are only 4 pieces on this CD, three of which are on The Other Side of Time, which is a great CD and costs less than this one. What kind of marketing hype is this? Buyer beware.
on January 17, 2001
October Project fans have been eagerly awaiting something new by the voice that has us continually enchanted. Mary Fahl's sound is not just unique, it's real; no fluff and no apologies. She doesn't sing from the heart, she sings from the soul. However, the listener who thinks s/he's getting more October Project from this EP is mistaken; this one is all Mary. The lyrics for Meant to Say are powerful without being in-your-face. Paolo pulls gently at the heart. Redemption is a theme often overdone in music, but McLean's lyrics and Fahl's presentation are hauntingly convincing. It's just an EP (4 songs) but is sure to keep us all sated until she graces us with a full-length album.
on May 17, 2001
October Project raised the musical bar for me, and ever since then, no music has moved me as much. Until now. Mary's new solo work is every bit as powerful, and moving as October Project. For the first time in years I have a CD in my car that is on endless repeat most of the time. Even though it's only four songs, I just can't stop listening to it. As an author, the passion of Mary's songs inspires my own creativity. Her voice resonates in your soul. I can't wait until she releases a full-length CD!
on January 31, 2001
Mary has the most amazing voice I ever heard. Period. This solo venture is a moving, sensual, dark journey. I was a huge fan of October Project (and still am), but somehow this strikes me as more meaningful, richer, textured. She has somehow transcended through something and to something else entirely and her voice is actually luminous. And if' that ain't enough, she's proven herself a notable songwriter. The song "Paolo" is especially haunting. The first time I played it, my 7 month old stopped dead in his tracks (well, he was crawling) and stared at the stereo, transfixed. I never saw him respond to anything like that before, even the Teletubbies' opening song. Well, there's no comparison between Mary Fahl and Dipsy Wipsy, but if she can capture the heart of my impossible-to-please son, she can capture yours.
on January 20, 2001
INCREDIBLE and MOVING. These two words best describe Mary Fahl. She has a voice that is not only distinctive but pure. I was very saddened to hear she left October Project, but very excited to hear this new (4 song) CD. What a teaser for us fans, and a fantastic way to prep us for the upcoming full length CD. A MUST BUY, you will not regret it. She is a woman with definite soul.
on August 15, 2001
I LOVE Mary Fahls voice, and really love October Project. This CD is good, but its clear that the songwriting is just not up to par yet. The phrase "lenses of contact" really comes off as one of those "oh! isnt this clever, Ill have to save it and use it sometime.." kinda things.That, for some reason bugged me. I do recommend this one for Mary fahl fans, but if you have never heard her, go to October Project first. They were an unbelievably astounding group. I hope the full release album from Mary will be more fulfilling