5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful album
Published 4 months ago by Maeana K Cragg

3.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly music
Simply excellent. Reverent. Angelic. Perfect for the Lenten season. I am recommending this to my family and will probably buy some as gifts. It's that good.
Published 2 months ago by Warren Klemm

5.0 out of 5 stars Another beautiful album, February 11, 2014
This review is from: Lent at Ephesus (Audio CD)
If you loved the sisters' last two albums, you will love this one too. The album is all a cappella, so it works perfectly as background to prayer or even as a beautiful lullaby album. My children all love having the sisters sing them to sleep. However, as you listen closer, there is a huge variety of music, from chant, to Palestrina, to my personal favorite, the Benedictines' very own compositions. "Mother of Sorrows" is heart wrenchingly beautiful. Having a Lenten album to listen to is such a blessing for Catholics everywhere, but even if you aren't Catholic, the Sisters' lovely voices will help bring peace to your mind and soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album from the Missouri priory, February 11, 2014
This review is from: Lent at Ephesus (Audio CD)
By complete coincidence, as I was driving in to work this morning, I heard a long interview on NPR's Morning Edition with Mother Cecilia, the prioress of the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of the Apostles, in Missouri. The piece contained several excerpts from this new album, and I immediately knew I had to check it out, and sooner rather than later.

"Lent at Ephesus" (23 tracks; 78 min.) contains more of the a-cappella angelic voices (this is the nuns' third album). Starting off with "Jesus, My Love", the group of about 20 Benedictines are praising the Lord, and basically never let up from there. It's hard to pinpoint any highlights as the songs tend to blend in one into another, and it all sounds warm, uplifting and glorious. But there are a couple that in particular caught my attention: the 7 min. "Improperia", with the so-called "droning" sound as described by Sister Cecilia, which sounds heavenly, truly "out of this world". Then there is "Mother of Sorrows", one of a handful original songs brought by the nuns. Another can't miss is the 8 min. "Crux Fidelis", epic in every regard. Just wow. If you grew up Catholic (which I did), some of this will sound immediately familiar, even comforting. But even if you didn't, I am quite certain that this will resonate with you.

This CD is like an oasis of peace and comfort in the midst of our ever-frantic and busy lives. The only unfortunate thing is that we will never get to experience this live, as the Benedictines will not tour or give concerts. On the plus side, apparently the proceeds of these CDs go toward settling their debts and expanding their good works. Even if that wasn't the case, "Lent at Ephesus" is nothing short of a fantastic album, and is HIGHLY, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get your soul right during the Lenten season, February 12, 2014
This review is from: Lent at Ephesus (Audio CD)
I first learned of this album from Carmel Communications, and ever since I received the news of its upcoming release, I knew I had to own it! Lent at Ephesus is another masterful album from the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles. Who are the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles? They are a group of nuns living a religious life in a Benedictine Order. They take their lead from Mary and her hidden life at Ephesus. Church Tradition holds that she went to live with John the Beloved Apostle in Ephesus after Jesus died. Since this group of nuns have a devotion to Mary at this time in her life, all of their albums are labelled "at Ephesus."

When comparing it to the Advent at Ephesus album, one sees that there is substantially more music in this album - 7 songs more to be precise. The songs are sung in an a-capella style, with a nice blend of English and Latin songs. The quality of the voices and audio are heavenly, and the choice of songs is divine. I also really love the sleeve note, as it contains the words to all the songs they sing. This is helpful for following along, learning them yourself, or teaching them to your children. This CD will be replacing Mater Eucharistiae in my car to help me on my Lenten Journey and keep my mind in a holy place even while I'm surrounded by the hustle and bustle of others. With an Advent, Christmas, and now a Lent CD, the only items missing from the sisters' collection are an Easter album and an Ordinary Time one. Five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Albums Get Better and Better!, February 11, 2014
This review is from: Lent at Ephesus (Audio CD)
This is the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles, sixth album. If you go to their website, they have five available for sale; Echoes of Ephesus is currently unavailable. Three of the sisters' albums are for sale on Amazon: Lent at Ephesus, Advent at Ephesus, and Angels and Saints at Ephesus. These three are all fantastic, but you certainly won't want to miss out on the sisters' earlier albums: Marian Hymns at Ephesus and Christmas at Ephesus. Those two albums are well worth ordering directly from the sisters, as they are not available on Amazon.

As to this album, it is perfect as a way to calm your spirit and soul during the Lenten season. The sisters' voices blend beautifully, as always, and the mix of old, new, and original pieces was well chosen.

There are not many CDs out there for Lenten music. If you are looking for a way to refocus your heart, mind, and soul on the Lord during Lent, this album will be a great addition to your music collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent music for the Lent season!, February 20, 2014
First: I do not "understand" Latin (though I trained in Romance languages) and I am not a Roman Catholic. I am a Lutheran - LCMS that practices the observation of Lent. Therefore some of the Latin is familiar (not the song.) I am also active in my church choir (baritone/bass) which sings a lot of J.S. Bach's music (in English.)
This album (MP3) is great! These nuns have captured the nature of Lent and set it free in this arrangement. The mix (sequence) of songs ( Latin/English..English/Latin) is excellent and by no means accidental. The ebb and flow of the melodies and volumes bespeaks the exultations, trials and tribulations of our Lord and our trials and tribulations awaiting His return (Lent/Advent!)
These nuns' voices are very good and in mode A capella , I think fantastic! God inspired!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and soothing, February 20, 2014
Also puts toddler to sleep. Did I say it puts toddler to sleep? Oh, yes I did. Well ok then.

4.0 out of 5 stars The music is very moving..., March 22, 2014
This review is from: Lent at Ephesus (Audio CD)
The music is very moving it has greatly enhance my Lenten journey to the foot of the cross. If you enjoy sacred music you will enjoy this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars A vocal treasure..., March 22, 2014
This review is from: Lent at Ephesus (Audio CD)
This is a beautiful album. The a cappella blending of voices and harmonies is excellent. Their selection of Lenten melodies and performance of them is mesmerizing. I have listened to it countless times without tiring.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful voices, February 26, 2014
No need to be catholic to enjoy this. The beauty and emotion of the nun's voices is warming to one's soul.

4.0 out of 5 stars Soothing, February 21, 2014
I often listen to chant when meditating, exercising, or even doing computer programming. This female choir is a pleasant change for me, since most of my chant albums feature male voices.

Lent at Ephesus
Lent at Ephesus by Benedictines of Mary Queen of Apostles (Audio CD - 2014)
Rate and Discover Movies