Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

Format: PaperbackChange

on May 15, 2013
The lesson of this book, for me, is there's always plenty more to learn. I've been playing blues bass for nearly two decades and there are still aspects of the blues language with which I am not familiar because I don't play much guitar. Having started on baritone 'ukulele just last year, I wanted to try to learn some of those aspects, and ran across this book. It is quite surprisingly thorough. The author starts with a wide variety of chord progressions -- much more than the standard I-IV-V7, 12-bar form -- some of which I'd learned by ear on bass from recordings, but had not thought much about in theoretical terms. For a blues book, this might seem to some as too expository about harmony, but I am interested in learning that. I've just gotten started and there's a lot left to learn. This is not for the novice uke-ist, but a great third or fourth book, which will have you strumming unusual chords, playing lead, and fingerpicking. If you play soprano, concert, or GCEA-tuned tenor 'ukulele, this book will give you no problems. As a baritonist, with a DGBE-tuned instrument, I must either follow the chord symbols and ignore both the notation and tabs, or follow the tabs and play in a different key (a fourth down). So far I've done a little of both. I would prefer to have a baritone edition of this book to keep working on note-reading, but there's probably not enough of a market for that. In short, I highly recommend this book/CD -- it has great exercises and explains the theory or thinking behind them; and it is chock full of things to work on. I bet it'll keep me plenty busy this summer.
11 comment16 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 18, 2013
One thing that constantly amazes me about playing music is that there is always something else to learn. Despite playing ukulele for 52 years and teaching it for 25, I still find pathways in music that somehow eluded me in the past. Rubin's blues ukulele book is not just an intro but a great reference. I especially appreciate the clarity he brings to the various scales used in playing blues. A good book to keep handy.
on February 10, 2013
This book takes you through blues comp, 8 bar and 12 bar blues along with the blues scales. Various other tools to add to your tool kit as a blues ukulelist are added as well. A good book with good tablature and a CD to play you through the music you learn.
Just wake up, look around for your shoes and uke and get started on the blues :D
on June 12, 2014
This is a really good book. I highly recommend it. It's easy to learn and I have only been player for a short period of time. The only small issue that I have with the book is that there are times when it is not clear enough. Part of the book acts like it is for beginners and then it acts as if you just already know the information. It is a very good book though.
on January 17, 2014
This book is great and I highly recommend it. The CD that comes with the book is very helpful in showing how to play the different sample pieces within the book. Anyone interested in learning blues should purchase this book.
on March 29, 2014
This is a great lesson book with easy to follow tabs and tracks to go along with it. I wouldn't recommend for a strict beginner but after a year or so of playing a beginner should be able to pick it up.
on February 8, 2015
These specialty supplement books Hal Leonard offers are a good addition to lesson studios libraries. This is a cool book to use with adults or intermediate players.
on January 7, 2016
Perhaps too advanced for me. I have tried to master a number of the exercises, but find that the ones that I do learn do not seem to have a practical application at my skill stage.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2015
Quite informative. A good buy for those beginning and even also bit more advanced.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse