5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Leopard Lives up to expectations of Apple OS
I delayed upgrading to Snow Leopard because I suspected that it would be necessary to upgrade many of my applications. This has not been a problem and those that did't work have been upgraded at no cost to me. I'm happy. Thanks.
Published 16 months ago by Stewart Kull

1.0 out of 5 stars INACCURATE description!
This is NOT a review of Snow Leopard (which I purchased directly from Apple and I would rate as *****), it is of the description by the seller Chris Betamacs (and any others) who are selling version 10.6.3 but passing it off as version 10.6.8...

Published on November 15, 2012 by Aural Architect

1.0 out of 5 stars INACCURATE description!, November 15, 2012
This review is from: Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD-ROM Full Version In Retail Box (DVD-ROM)

The upgrade is free but the distinction of which version is ACTUALLY on the disk is crucial because Macs with certain hardware- certain ATI video cards mainly- (released after a certain date or if upgraded by the owner) can NOT install or even boot up with versions of OS X which don't recognize the hardware.

So... If you can't install or even boot up the operating system, it is IRRELEVANT whether the upgrade is free.

PRODUCTS SHOULD BE DESCRIBED PRECISELY & ACCURATELY!!!! What about that concept is hard to understand or follow?

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Leopard Lives up to expectations of Apple OS, August 19, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.3, December 17, 2012
Very happy with purchase. Product shipped promptly & received within allotted shipping time frame. Product worked great. No problems. Only discrepancy was webpage says version 10.6.8 but it is version 10.6.3. But after loading on Mac, checked for updated software & got the 10.6.8 update.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snow Leopard 10.6.8, October 9, 2012
Received new in the box as advertised, exactly like I would have bought it from Apple. My system upgrade from Tiger 10.4 went perfectly and my IMAC is running like new! Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed., March 1, 2013
My Mac did not have enough memory to upgrade to Snow Leopard. I bought some more RAM from Amazon at a great price. Once my RAM was in place, upgrading the OS was a breeze - the disk had simple, easy-to-follow instructions.

2.0 out of 5 stars great product, March 22, 2013
this is a great product, works perfectly with older macs that you try to upgrade the software. the only problem is that you can order it straight from the apple store for only $20..... probobly a little more for shipping, if they charge for that.

overall perfect product, cost is to much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early intel iMac /video problems, OK or not? RAM?, June 12, 2014
Although 10.6 will run on a 4,1 iMac, be aware, you may have problems. In a nutshell, after install you may begin seeing lines in the display, within applications, and or distortions of the graphical interface. There is little discussion about this except to tell people their computer has a problem with hardware, condemning the life of the unit, (video board-logic board). This is not necessarily true! I partitioned off the internal HD and installed Tiger 10.4 and guess what, no more video problems. Trust me, if you are having any graphic display problems after installing 10.6 on an early machine such as mine, try reverting to 10.4.11. I can't speak for 10.5. My guess is the earlier machines built during the 10.4 reign may not have played as well with the newer OS as the units produced later.

Update: I have 10.4.11 running smooth. Some interface glitches persisted but cleared after preference repairs. Trust me, this improvement was never possible under OS 10.6.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Did another complete wipe and reinstall. Ran Disk Warrior several times. Erased the heck out of drive. Plugged computer into hard-wire, installed 10.6 and updated. Seems better. Can find no reported hardware problems. Trouble is truly elusive. Video "lines" seem to be held at bay. I also installed a cooling fan override but running the unit at a cooler temp. has no confirmed effect either way. Could be a RAM problem? Yes, everything goes through RAM. Yet I can not prove a RAM malfunction. Could be slightly non-compliant brand? Meh...? The OS itself is great, I'm increasing recommendation to 5-star as I cannot confirm the problem is or is not the software.

LAST TIME YOU'LL HERE FROM ME: The video scramble returned. There was nothing left on this model to change-out than to replace the RAM. I bought 2gb matched pair from OWC. Problems gone, it's been several weeks. There was no RAM malfunctions discovered through any memory test performed. My conclusion is the way OS 10.6 interacts with RAM is somehow different than 10.4. If you designed this Mac you may know the answer, otherwise we'll all be left to guess. Buy RAM only from reputable source and don't trust any RAM tests, is this the lesson? 5-star is held.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Having a Brand New Mac!, June 24, 2014
Darci DeNicho (Des Moines, IA, US) - See all my reviews
I upgraded from a 10.4 to 10.6 using the Snow Leopard DVD. I backed up data on an external hard drive and performed a clean install. It worked like a charm and now Mac is up and running with the Big Boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect OS X Install and Subsequent Software Updates, June 20, 2014
The DVD arrived in a small case, a nice paper box approximately the size of a regular CD case.
A small, round, green sticker on the front of the little box reads: "New Version 10.6.3".
The install was easy and successful. This required the first computer restart.
Automatic software updates were then detected and downloaded by the computer, including Mac OS X 10.6.8.
These steps of various software updates (Safari, Adobe, etc.) required a couple of more computer restarts.
In the end everything was dandy!
I am still not sure why there seems to be two identical products advertised on Amazon for different prices. This one claimed to be in the unopened, original retail box (which I assume is what I got at $31) but the other product made no such claims (at $27).

3.0 out of 5 stars my Snow Leopard purchase/, June 14, 2013
From the time I bought a new printer trouble started. After hours on the phone to get help IYogi told me to order Snow Leopard and then let them know when it arrived. More hours later my machine worked with my E-mails. For two days. Then I could not get into my E-mails so next I needed flash player a few days later again I could not get my E-mails to print for someone else to read etc. Again I was on the phone for hours with help from Apple. I also had help from H/P at one point for another hour, since this is their printer. Is that what you wanted to Know? I hold my breath some when I turn on the computer. Edna Zambo