2,366 Reviews
 (1,502)

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive entry-level amplifier
I have been using the Lepai amp for almost 2 years. There are good and bad things that I noticed. Below is my summary of the Lepai mini amp:

The GOOD:
1) This amp is really inexpensive. If you cannot spend more than 20 bucks then you may want to take a close look at this amp.

2) The sound quality albeit at low volume is pretty decent. This amp...
Published 11 months ago by Correy Samper

3.0 out of 5 stars Note the power supply voltage
This amplifier is shipped with a 12 Volt power supply. If you are somewhat knowledgeable then you can do the math and figure out that given the 12 Volt supply voltage this amp can deliver without an excessive amount of audio distortion:

- 2 x 18 Watts with 4 Ohm speakers, and
- 2 x 9 Watts with 8 Ohm speakers.

If you further look at the current...
Published 10 months ago by Martin Lange

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best $21 I've ever spent, November 23, 2011
This review is from: Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier with Power Supply (Electronics)
This little amp is just amazing. If you're even remotely interested in audio, amps, etc, then this is a no-brainer: look at the price, realize that it's only $20, and just buy it.

For me, this replaced a $300 Sony receiver which had served me well for about 4 years, until its right channel suddenly died one day. (Actually, it's not quite dead, but it's permanently stuck at ~5% of the full volume coming out of the left channel.) And this little amp is somehow both louder and clearer than that 100-watt Sony receiver ever was (playing through the same speakers, a pair of Infinity RS3s, which have been going strong for about 10 years).

I'm a music lover with hundreds of CDs, but I wouldn't say I'm an audiophile; however, I have a friend who is, and he's been happily using one of these class-T amps for years.

The only real cons I see with this amp are:

1. Lack of remote control. I plan to eventually get a preamp with remote, so that will take care of it.

2. The obnoxious bright blue LED ring around the volume knob. Unlike many obnoxious LEDs on modern electronics, this one can't be fixed with a small square of electrical tape covering over it. I had to open the amp and desolder the two LEDs from the circuit board to remove them. And it was kind of a pain because they're positioned sort of halfway underneath the volume knob. So that took half an hour or so, but the amp's appearance is much improved by it. Note that the plastic ring around the volume knob is clear, not blue; it's the LEDs that are blue.

Regarding the included or not-included power supply: my amp was sold by Parts Express and fulfilled by Amazon, and it did NOT include a power supply. But I have plenty of 12v supplies lying around, so this wasn't a problem for me; indeed I'd rather not pay for another supply that I don't need. And it seems insane to me that people are complaining about having to spend an extra $10 for a power supply; Amazon sells several of them. (And for anyone who doesn't know: you just need to get one with a matching voltage [12v] and *at least* a matching amperage [so 2A or more].)

Finally, regarding the different variations of this amp: the one I ordered was "Lepai Tripath TA2020" (product ID/ASIN: B0049P6OTI). But the box it came in says "LP-2020" and lists the power requirement as "9-13.2V 4A". But then, the amp itself says "LP-2020A+" and "12V 2A". So apparently they aren't real careful with matching the variations to the boxes and the webpage, etc. (And my "LP-2020A+" *does* have the tone/direct button.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Product was DOA, July 10, 2013
I've heard great things about this amp, but unfortunately the unit I received never even turned on. I'm not sure if the error was by the vendor or manufacturer, but I'm bummed regardless. Anyway, I decided to fork over a bit more cash for the Dayton Audio DTA-1 ($45). At least I know Dayton is reliable, plus the DTA-1 has a battery power option if I want to take it with me somewhere.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very low build quality., August 11, 2013
First one I received had a stuck volume knob. Okay, no problem - amazon sent me another one without any fuss. The next one just plain didn't do anything. Turned on, but didn't affect volume, bass, or treble in any capacity. Tried many different configurations, checked my power supply, even looked at solder joints and connections - couldn't get it to work. Very disappointed. I can understand one faulty product, but two in a row? The "QC Passed" sticker on the back is obviously a joke. Hopefully Amazon will accept yet another return...

5.0 out of 5 stars Update: Sound & Longevity Equal To What You Connect To The Lepai, August 14, 2013
SOUND & LONGEVITY
The sound and longevity of the Lepai is only as good as what you connect to it. The LP-2020A+ is not a $24 miracle worker. Don't just take my word for it. In the Amazon reviews for the Lepai, type in Bose, B&W, Definitive, Infinity, JBL, Carvin and Boston. There are well over 100 reviews that come up. People that connect this amp to good speakers have overwhelmingly positive reviews of the amp. Yeah, some of the poor reviews you have to discount because someone isn't happy that it doesn't sound as good as their $500 or $1000 amp. Others aren't happy because it didn't ship with a power supply which is understandable. Looking at those reviews this is a 5 star product! The other interesting thing you notice about people that connect this amp to good speakers is they have very little failures with the amp so long as it worked fine out of the box. I know sites like CNET suggest grabbing some old speakers in the garage gathering dust or go to a second hand store and then buy the Lepai for a very cheap desktop setup but the reality is if you connect cheap speakers to this amp you will probably get very mediocre or poor sound. Worst then that you may damage the amp. This is most likely because 8 ohm speakers and high efficiency speakers are less taxing on the amp. It's got to be the cheaper circuitry and not Tripath's TA2020 chip that is failing because Topping uses the same chip but with better other parts and doesn't have some of the failures you see happening with the Lepai. I understand there are some quality control issues with the Lepai but it can't be coincidence that people connecting good speakers to the amp seem to have very little failures.

VOLUME AND NOISE
When turning the power on and off my speakers pop. This is not surprising of an amp that is this inexpensive. I'm using the amp with Boston Acoustics HS60 speakers in an open 10' x 10' area. The speakers are on opposite sides of the area. The Boston's are 150 watt speakers, are 8 ohms, have a 6 1/2" woofer and 1" tweeter, and have a sensitivity of 89dB. With the volume turned up to 1 1/2 the amp provides adequate listening. With the volume turned to 3 1/2 the area is full of sound. At 5, it's loud! With the volume turned to 5 and no sound coming through noise is audible a foot away from the speaker. At 6, I can hear the noise from a couple feet away. At 7, noise is clear coming through the speaker from several feet away. The LP-2020A+ produces significantly more noise than my Pioneer AV receiver. The amount of noise coming out of the Lepai with the volume turned to 5 is the same as the Pioneer with the volume turned to 7 1/2. I feel no problem turning the LP-2020A+ up midway and considering the how loud it is and the noise produced I don't have a desire to turn it past that.

SOUND QUALITY
Let's be realistic...this amp clearly doesn't sound as good as the Denon it is replacing or the Pioneer AV Receiver running my home theater system. I wasn't expecting it to, I just wanted a much, much smaller footprint! That doesn't mean the Lepai sounds bad. Not at all, it sounds quite good in fact! You know, a Denon isn't a bad amp because it doesn't sound as good as a McIntosh. Doing a comparison with my Pioneer running a pair of Boston speakers which are the floor standing equivalent of the ones in my computer setup and playing the same music at the same time over both amps, the sound from the Lepai does sound thinner, not as crisp, doesn't have the separation, and doesn't have the bass. A small amount of that can be explained by the difference in bookshelf and floor standing speakers even though they have identical tweeters and woofers. The sound from the Lepai is still very good especially when considering the price and size. It's downright impressive!

OTHER OPTIONS
The Lepai has an unbeatable bang for your buck. At $24 it's practically throw away. They I look at it if it lasts a couple of years, great! If you have to have better build quality the Topping TP30 is probably the way to go. Perhaps if you have cheap speakers the Topping is the way to go anyway because the amp, being a better build, will better be able to handle the demand from 4 ohm or inefficient speakers. People that have used both the TP30 and LP-2020A+ say the sound quality is the same unless you use the USB connection on the TP30. In that case the sound is tighter and has better bass. At $90 the TP30 is significantly more. The Dayton DTA 100-a is more powerful than the Lepai and Topping. From reviews it is a very good sounding amp but very unreliable. I was thinking of splurging to get the Nuforce Dia or Audioengine N22 which both retail for $200. According to CNET they both sound the best of the bunch when looking at affordable desktop amps. After running the Lepai though I'm glad I didn't. The Lepai is plenty good for a desktop system and very affordable.

UPDATE 8/20/13:
I thought that the sound quality and power output from the LP-2020A+ paired with the Bukang power supply that shipped with it was good but thought if I could improve sound, power output, and reduce noise by getting a higher amp power supply, why not! I therefore purchased a 6a 12v power supply through Amazon. Having both power supplies plugged and then switching then back and forth on the amp a few dozen times I can confidently say that there is zero difference in sound quality between the 6a supply and the Bukang supply that shipped with the Lepai. I played music from a few different genres while switching the power supplies and not once was there an increase in sound quality or power output from the 6a supply. Pausing the music and then turning the volume up all the way the 6a power supply had no less noise than the Bukang supply.

I don't doubt that the LP-2020A+ has shipped with some bad power supplies. At one time the Lepai shipped with what sounded like a very suspect power supply from Vonage. A part of me wonders if there is now a placebo effect going on. I wanted to believe that buying a higher amp power supply would boost sound quality, power output, and reduce noise. Who wouldn't want those things! When I first played music with this 6a supply I thought, "Wow that sounds good!" Then when I switched to the Bukang supply I thought, "Mmm, that actually sounds the same!" Going back and forth a few dozen times confirmed it. Another option is that with the 2013 model the LP-2020A+ is finally shipping with an adequate power supply. Either way I bet many people have unnecessarily purchased a new power supply for their LP-2020A+.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little amp, but the power supply is too wimpy, June 13, 2012
This great little amp does exactly what I want it to do. I wanted some music on my patio, so I bought this amp, an internet radio, and some outdoor speakers. The combination sounds wonderful!

At least it does now. When I first tried the amp, it would shut down when I cranked it up beyond about half volume. I originally thought it was broken and was going to have to send it back. I did some searching on Google to see if anyone else was having this problem, and sure enough, I found a review where someone was having the exact same issue. They fixed it by replacing the 2 amp power supply with a bigger one.

Rummaging around in my box-o'-wall-warts, I found a 12 volt 3 amp power supply that would fit. Sure enough, that extra amp is all it took to fix the problem with it cutting out. Wish I could send back just the power supply for a refund!

Overall, it's well worth the money. It seems well built and sounds great. I also like the cool blue glow around the volume knob. The power supply is (was) the only issue I've had with it so far, and I think that's just because SoundSoul LLC (the supplier) didn't test it well enough when they bundled the power supply with the amp. If you can find one without the power supply cheaper, get it and buy a better power supply to go with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mighty Mouse of Amplfiers!, February 16, 2012
I know this thing already has 189 reviews on it, but this is such an amazing little amp that I just have to make it 190. I just had a 300-watt rack-mount Carvin go out on me, and I was looking to replace it. I didn't want another rack-mount because I no longer have a rack and no longer need that kind of power -- I'm just driving a pair of Alesis Point Seven studio monitors. I went through at least 200 reviews on more than 30 different amps, and I reached several sad conclusions.

[1] Manufacturers flat-out lie about the power of their amps, generally citing peak power rather than the industry standard average (RMS) power. So you can order an amplifier advertised at, say, 150 watts per channel, and receive an amp that actually puts out 15-30 amps. Also, more and more companies just combine the channels to boost the power rating, so if the description doesn't say "xx watts per channel," the power is probably xx/2 per channel at best. This is very frustrating because you have to read the specs on every amp in order to identify the ones that might actually meet your needs.

[2] The failure rate on amplifiers is appallingly high. If you just read the reviews on Amazon (which reflect what I found on the other sites I used), inexpensive amps tend to have a bimodal distribution of ratings, with threes, fours and fives from people who could actually hear something from them, and a bunch of ones (Amazon -- there should be a *zero* rating) from people whose amps were DOA or failed before they took the time to write a review. The most common complaint is that one channel works intermittently, sometimes cutting out and then coming back in again, until it finally dies completely. There are a *lot* of reviews like this, particularly for the Pyle amplifiers that seem to sell so well on Amazon (WTTW: Read some audiophile reviews before buying these things).

[3] It is still possible to buy a decent amp from a quality manufacturer that is honestly rated, performs its intended function for more than a couple of months, and provides quality sound. But my sense is that you have to spend several hundred dollars to get past the junk threshold, and that's a lot of money for a desktop system or small studio. Now, don't yell at me -- I'm sure there are lots of good amps to be had for under $300. But given all the failures and complaints, it's pretty hard to identify which ones they might be.

Enter the Lepai Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Mini Amplifier with Power Supply. That's a really big name for a very tiny unit -- it's about 4"x5" and under 2" high. The first couple of times I looked at it, I dismissed it as a toy, but eventually I came back to it given that I wasn't finding what I wanted for under $250. This thing drops a zero off the end of that price and it performs like a champ! It's only 15 amps, but it's a *true* 15 amps, and it is amazingly loud. It delivers clear sound through my Alesis monitors well past the danger point for ear damage. The sound isn't true audiophile quality, but it sounded great to my ears, and I tried it out on guitar, vocals, and a wide range of MIDI instruments. I couldn't do an AB test with my Carver amp because it was dead, but based on the sound the Lepai puts out, I don't detect any loss in quality. And I'm quite happy to be replace that 3-pound behemoth with this little gem.

Two other advantages of this unit are worth noting. First, it's based on solid state electronics -- I gather it's built around a single chip. I *think* (but do not know) that this could reduce the failure rate given that single chips tend to be much more robust than systems that rely on multiple chips, any one of which can cause the system to fail. And my reading of the other 189 reviews indicates a much lower rate of DOAs and early failures. But hey, even if I'm wrong, at $25, I can just keep a spare on hand.

Second, this thing runs on 12v, which is supplied by a wall wart. This means you can upgrade the quality of the sound by using a cleaner power supply if you want to (I read reviews by people who did and were happy with the improvement). It also means you can run it off of batteries if you like. This would be an advantage for people who want to go mobile with it, which I do. In fact, I plan to buy a second one and set up a very lightweight amp for my guitar -- one that I can stick in a backpack and play anywhere any time.

In short, it's a sweetheart. If you want a lot of sound for very little money, I don't think you can do better than this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 1 week of use, August 7, 2013
I was excited to find a mini amp for less than $40. I had everything hooked up and working just fine and then later that week, I lifted it up (barely) to clean around it, heard a snapping sound and then it wouldn't play. The LED light around the volume started flickering and then began to flash on/off. I was pretty frustrated and spent an entire afternoon shopping for an amp (cheapest one I could find was used for $87 but sounds great) so that I could continue to use my turntable and speakers that I also bought through Amazon. Pretty annoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound Improvement for my HDTV!, June 24, 2011
Sparky (Walla Walla, Wa) - See all my reviews
Like many who have bought a HDTV I was disappointed with the sound level that the TV provided. Really it was to be expected just how does an ultra thin TV able to provide good sound from speakers that are as thin as the TV? Reading the many reviews on SoundBars and 2.1 sound systems there always seems to be negatives about them. The prices ranged from $98 to over $500 and not everybody seemed very happy. All I wanted was more volume and a quality sound. Why couldn't I build my own system that could achieve those same results? So that's what I attempted to do. I read the reviews on the amplifier, Lepai Tripath TA2020 Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amplifier, and the reviews on the affordable speakers, Dayton Audio B652 6-1/2 2-Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair, here on Amazon. I put the system together here for just $65. Wow, I got the results I wanted and we are happy. Now, it's not surround sound, nor does it have a real stereo effect. The quality sound level is all we wanted. At half the volume that this system is capable of, it blows us away. We control the volume from the TV using the option within the TV itself. So if you are looking for the same results then this home brew system isn't going to break your bank account. Good luck in your search.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptionally high performing mini 1.2 W RMS amplifier with tone controls., October 3, 2013
The LP 2020A+ amplifier is a Class D (Class T) type which is non-inverting input to output with the “direct” button engaged (inverting with direct/tone switch in “tone”) with a RMS output power into 8 Ohms of about 1.2 watts. The LP 2020A+ in the “Direct” mode has a basically flat frequency response, that is -0.6 dB at 17 Hz, and -1.2 dB at 20 kHz. The phase error at 17 Hz is about 24 degrees and the phase error at 10 kH is about 17 degrees. This is an exceptionally well behaved, high performing amplifier, unmatched, as far as I know, in this price range.

No crossover distortion is evident. Some distortion of sine–waves is visible from 8kHz to 20 kH increasing with frequency. This is apparently digitizing error. I suspect this error is difficult to hear.

With the tone control engaged the best 1kHz square wave presentation [an indicator of tone neutrality] is with the Bass and Treble knobs at 11 o’clock (not 12 o’clock). This presentation is very similar to the presentation with the “direct” engaged. There is no increase in phase error with “Tone” engaged (excellent) with the Bass and Treble at about 11 o’clock. There is some change at 1kHz response when varying the Treble control (minor). The Bass adjustment range at 60 Hz is 0.9 V to 9.0 V or 20 dB. Bass adjustment range at 17 and 30 Hz is 0.5 V to 9.0 V or 25 dB. Treble adjustment range at 10kH Hz is 0.8 V to 9.0 V or 21 dB. This adjustment range is available to compensate for speaker errors, “loudness” compensation for low level listening, to adjust for “room response”, or to correct errors in recorded music.

This amplifier is a standard to judge other amplifiers in this price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beats the previous TA2024 designs with Fostex high-efficiency drivers, August 18, 2011
M. M. Jackson (St. Petersburg, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Super excited to be here reviewing this miniature marvel. As you can see, I've drunk the Kool-Aid but I've been a T-amp fan for years. Cheap, delicious, imperfect, but miraculously close. It's like someone giving you $1400 worth of valuable stuff for $25. So, as the whiners and snobs point out, maybe it doesn't beat the $2500 stuff...but it sure beats the $1200 stuff! For the price or the next five price ranges, you just can't beat it.

I have had a T-Amp for three years now, using with my Fostex FE206e - based speaker system (using David Dicks' "1.3" speaker design) which I have loved. Imperfect but good enough for me and a H*LL of a deal in DIY.

At the time, the T-Amp costed around $55 and was worth every penny, but now I saw that there was this TA2020 amp was only $25 and I had a pair of space-age-y vintage speakers to use out in my gameroom-garage, therefore this thing plus my iPod fit the bill for a cheap way to get high quality music out in the gameroom. Even if it was crappier than the TA2024-based original Sonic Impact 5066 model T-Amp, I knew it would be close and good enough.

Well...

I get it home and having a Pyramid 13.8v 3amp power supply (available on Amazon now for only sixteen bucks!) already, I plugged THIS amp into my media room setup, in place of the TA2024-based Sonic Impact T-Amp.

(Note to audiophiles: I had removed the amplifier guts of the T-amp, removing the volume pot and wiring it INSIDE of my Dantimax remote control 5-input preamp...it was small enough to easily fit inside. I just installed two power jacks and was using two separate plugs to power the amp and then the Dantimax).

Anyways...

WOW! Bass EXPLODED with power and control. Took me aback! Kept all it's life and clarity, but the bass was not flabby, not wild, just pure and powerful. Distinctly more natural sounding, more real and alive. The authority of it was head and shoulders above the TA2024 Sonic Impact 5066 amp. It instantly became clear to me that the Dantimax was going to be RE-AMPED in order to use the superior (in my system) TA2020A+ amp guts. So that is where I am headed, and I just put in my order for my second TA-2020A+ today.

Very excited to get it and PLAY.

p.s. make sure you get the 2011 TA2020A+ version...the ability to defeat tone control is CRUCIAL! Setting it to "0 / 0" is SIMILAR but not the same...it is altered sound for sure.

p.p.s. remember, garbage in, garbage out...my harsh CD's still sound harsh with hot treble...but well-recorded discs just sound amazing with a whole new life in the low-end. The previous setup was a bit peaky in the lower bass as well as bass-shy. VERY pleased with this development in chip technology and sound.

My recommendation is a solid "BUY."