4.0 out of 5 stars Lepai amp performs most of the time.
Published on October 23, 2012 by Harold

3.0 out of 5 stars Amp is fine, but included power supply is misleading
Published on February 9, 2012 by Riledup

3.0 out of 5 stars Amp is fine, but included power supply is misleading, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Lepai TRIPATH TA2020 Class T Mini Amp Hi-Fi Stereo Audio Amplifier (Electronics)
For $25 this amp is a good deal. However, the included power supply is rather weak. In the specs section, it lists 12v 6a input (power supply included). I think most people reading that would expect the power supply to be rated for 6A. At most, the supplied adapter limits the output to 12 watts total. The $8 2A adapter from Parts Express bumps that to 24 watts total. That is still well below what the unit is capable of producing.

I'm looking for something bigger. 4A or higher, but most come with larger 2.5mm plugs.

Update: My brother found a 6A 12 volt laptop power supply on ebay for about $12. I also had him order a 2.5mm plug adapter for $4.50 so I can use this power supply with other electronics that use the slightly larger 2.5mm barrel plug. Now I should be able to get the full 40 watts out of this amp without taxing the power adapter too much.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality control issues, November 9, 2011
I have 5 of these, bought here or at P---- Exp-----. When they work, they are wonderful little amps. But the last 3 I bought have issues. One generates a faint buzz when hooked up to a computer; the previous amp in that role had no problem. Another generates a varying, high pitch whine when the tone defeat is not engaged. Touching the case diminishes the whine - this is a shielding or grounding issue, and that's inexcusable in an amp in any price range.

The price is certainly right and the sound quality - when they work - is good, clean t-amp sound with enough power to drive most decent speakers. But don't be shocked if you have to return the occasional unit. The quality control has apparently gone to pieces. Pity, because otherwise for the price these things rock.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked once , second time ... kaput !, February 20, 2013
It worked great for me the first time I used it but something blew the next time I hooked it up . Now it's a paperweight .

1.0 out of 5 stars Great Idea, but Cannot Recommend, August 9, 2012
Great concept and great price, excellent service from the seller. Unfortunately, I tried two of the Lepai 808 amplifiers and neither worked longer than 15 minutes (buck-a-minute). Both amplifiers were correctly wired in an automobile with a 12-volt switched power source and both were satisfactory at first. After less than 15 minutes, less than three songs on the iPod, both amplifiers failed. I cannot recommend the amplifier because of the device failure. If you purchase one, and if it is durable, please send it to me because I would love to have one work continuously in my car.

1.0 out of 5 stars POWER SUPPLY IS NOT INCLUDED!, December 24, 2011
Seller : earphone world

I purchased this item because it stated clearly in the item technical details that the power supply is included but the I received the item today without the power supply.

I mean, yes, it's cheaper than other company's price and you could easily find some power supply it needs at about $5.99 on ebay but hey, you shouldn't give a wrong information like this because it's one of the top issue that people would consider before purchasing this item, and if you, as a seller, don't wish to include the power supply then please do not list yourself on the page that says it does!

Original item description :

TRIPATH TA2020-020 IC
P.M.P.O,: 2 x 180W, R.M.S.: 2 x 20W
Input power: 12V 6A DC, (power supply included)
Input sensitivity: 200mv
Speaker impedance : 4 - 8ohm

2.0 out of 5 stars WUSS VONAGE POWER SUPPLY, July 12, 2012
First of all, the amp is flat out AWESOME. I have connected a FOUR AMP 12 volt power supply to this. The WALL WART supplied with is seems like a CAST-OFF 'Vonage' WUSS supply. This wall wart is rated at TWO amps. The listing contains a FLAT OUT LIE that alleges the power supply is SIX AMPS. I would really like to figure out how to get a partial refund since this is FALSE ADVERTISING with the LIE of SIX AMP POWER SUPPLY included. With the original WUSS VONAGE, when increasing the volume, the blue ring around the volume control dims. With the FOUR WATT it will not do this until really cranking. This amp IS really 20 watts RMS, how can you use a WUSS TWENTY FOUR watt WALL WART and expect only FOUR WATTS of loss in the whole system. I wish Amazon had an easier complaint form so I could rectify this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Snap, crackle, pop !, January 4, 2013
Left channel developed a crackling sound at all volume levels making it useless. Not sure what it would take to fix it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lepai amp performs most of the time., October 23, 2012
This amp is meeting my needs but does not deliver anywhere near advertized power. I tested it with an audio signal generator for input, and load resistor, AC voltmeter, and oscilloscope on the output. With an 8 ohm load I get a good clean 8 watts per channel then it goes into distortion. With a 4 ohm load I can get 10 watts of distortion free output. These tests were run with the supplied 2 amp power supply. A 7 amp power supply improved the output by a fraction of a watt. The data sheet for the TA2020 chip shows similar results but claims 20 watts at 10% distortion.

The amp refused to power up once after being left in a cold car for a couple hours. It worked after warming up indoors for about 10 minutes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does Not Come With a Power Supply, December 2, 2011
A. Prest (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
I bought this for $35 because it said in the listing that it included the power supply. Amazon also lists the same amplifier without the power supply for $21. Because I needed the amplifier this weekend I paid extra for one day delivery so the total cost was $38.99. When I received the amplifier today there was no power supply included and without a power supply the amplifier cannot be used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audiophile quality sound, January 25, 2011
The sound of this thing is so good that it may be better sounding than my high cost Yamaha AV receiver. I have on order a switch so that I can do rapid switching between both amplifiers to help with the listening tests. I have tried this little amp on three different set of speakers, two of which are 8 ohm and one set is 6 ohm. The 6 ohm set are my audiophile quality speakers; Norh 9.0 marble. The sound is fabulous with great weight to the bass, sparkling treble and clear midrange. The sound has great detail and resolution. The power is plenty for the sound levels I use. I'm never again going to think that high power ratings are important.

The build quality is adequate but certainly not high. No banana plug receptacles for example.

I actually bought the amp for use on the job (outdoors). It performed with high efficiency not completely draining my 12 amp hour 12 volt rechargeable battery car jumper setup I bought for it, in two days of use.

I love how it sounds at home on the Norh 9.0 marble speakers.

This model is the only one available with tone controls which is very important to me because some of the music I listen to has too much bass and occasionally too little.

If your unit has the light on but outputs no sound the problem could be with the supplied power adapter. The amp has an over voltage protection circuit that shuts off the amp when it receives too much voltage. The Ktec model KSAS0241200200D5 with 2 amp output works great.