1,067 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and shiny on top of being functional
I bought this battery charger on the recommendation of a friend of mine. It's a tiny little piece of equipment that does the job as well as look aesthetically pleasing. After a few days of usage, here are my thoughts:

Pros:
Published 15 months ago by Hank Hu

3.0 out of 5 stars Great at first, but now doesn't recharge
Published 6 months ago by Rachel Buck

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek and shiny on top of being functional, July 28, 2013
This review is from: Lepow Moonstone 6000 mAh External Battery with Dual USB Ports for Smartphones - Retail Packaging - Apple Green (Wireless Phone Accessory)

Pros:
- The packaging it comes in is extremely minimal, with little in the way of extraneous materials. It comes with a felt-like clam shell carrying case that has a band that wraps around it to keep it closed.
- It comes with a flat, durable microUSB cable that lets you connect to either a USB port (computer or AC adapter) to charge the battery, or connect it to whatever you want to charge.
- There are two USB ports on the device: fast and slow charging, depending on whether or not you're charging a tablet or phone. This comes in handy as I've severely damaged a phone's battery by accidentally charging it with a tablet charger in the past.
- It's very small, as it shows in the product description. The green one I bought stands out easily amongst the black and grey chargers I have scattered throughout.
- It charged to full in about 8 hours, so you can easily charge it overnight prior to, say, a business trip.
- It charged my HTC DNA to full in about two hours, which is about the speed it would take to charge from its usual AC adapter.

Cons:
- The base is a little too rounded, so it wobbles a bit. Not a big deal.
- The case's finish is slick, so it's a little harder to wipe off dust. Also not a big deal to me.

With all of the portable battery options out there, the Moonstone 6000 stands out due to its unique design and thoughtful accessories. The first thing I usually notice when I enter my office is the charger! The carrying case is a nice touch, and the extra USB cable that can be easily rolled up is even nicer. I highly recommend this battery charger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleek battery, lots of extras, respectable performance, January 1, 2014
Length:: 0:55 Mins

LEPOW - MOONSTONE 6000 Power Bank Pack is compact. It is similar in size to hockey puck 3.25" x 3.25" x 0.75". I got the white one and even its light indicators are white in color, which makes it look very nice.

It weight 5.5oz that makes it small and light enough to carry around without feeling like you have a brick in your purse or pocket.

Charging starts and stops automatically. If needed the back of the unit has on/off button.

The package contains a lot of extras:
➺ Felt pouch with two pockets to carry the battery in one and cables in another (4.5" x 4.5" when folded)
➺ A canvas draw bag for storing cables or whatever (7" x 4.5")
➺ 24" flat micro USB cable
➺ Double sided suction bad that lets you position your external battery anywhere you need it, useful for travel when space is at a premium (1.5" x 2.75")
➺ A 1.75" stylus
➺ Gold plated bow sticker (it is labeled as a electro magnetic waves filter, but given its tiny size I am not sure how it was intended to be used)
➺ 6 Apple home button stickers
➺ A fish cord wrapper, I like to use these to keep my earphones cords organized
➺ A key cord keeper
➺ A micro SD to USB 2.0 adapter

All in all this is a very nice package!

Of course, the key question is how did this battery perform. I tested this battery pack with iPad Mini and Samsung Galaxy 7.7. Its performance was average, not outstanding but not bad. If you are interested in the details of the tests I am including the numbers below.

➨ How I tested this battery pack:
======================

To test this battery pack I used a current monitor. In addition to the current monitor I also used a 10 minute charging test which is less abstract than the measurements of current and voltage.

I have been testing chargers and batteries for a long time and people often ask me why results on different ports of the same unit or similar units are different. The results are different because they are affected by a number of factors. To help with a numerical explanation of a differences I began using a USB current monitor which shows the voltage and the current flowing between the battery and the device.

Most of the batteries are 5V devices and most devices show the voltage very close to 5V. If the voltage is higher it can damage a device and I will report higher than expected voltage if I see it. The interesting number is the current as it varies from port to port and from unit to unit. The amount of energy transferred from the charger to the device is calculated by multiplying voltage and current.

The current varies based on what the device requires and what battery provides. This communication happens using different protocols depending on OS. Newer Android OS versions have adapted their protocols to get better performance from ports aimed at Apple devices. An addition variable that effects performance is whether a data cable or charging cable is used to charge the device. The charging cables short the two data connections together (rendering them useless for data transfer), but this fools devices to see the cable as an AC power connection, and thus accept the higher current of the charging source.

The 10 minutes test consists of charging each mobile device on each port of the battery pack for 10 minutes and measure how much each unit was charge in that 10 minute period. Since the charging speed is non-linear I start charging each device from approximately the same charge level. I use Battery App by Elvison to determine how each device recognized the charging source. 'AC' status means the charging is at full charging rate. 'USB' status indicates charging at a lower charging rate. 'Discharging' status means that the charging rate is below the power that the device is consuming so it slows down the discharge rate but does not re-charge.

➨ Test Results:

✔ iPad Mini
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Charge at AC rate ~~~~~~ 3% change in charge in 10 minutes
Current monitor: ~~~ 0.94A, 4.99V

I received this power pack from the manufacturer for an honest review be it positive or negative. I found this external pack had respectable performance, I liked its compact size and sleek look.

Ali Julia review

5.0 out of 5 stars Stands apart from the competition, November 2, 2013
Length:: 0:56 Mins

Most battery packs like this come packaged in thick plastic wrapping and are offered in basic black and white color options. The Moonstone comes wrapped like a gift, ready for unwrapping. Upon opening the cardboard box, inside you'll find the Moonstone battery back nestled in a thick felt carrying case with two pockets. One side holds the battery pack, the other the USB charging cable for recharging the pack.

The battery comes about half charged. Using the included cable, attach the micro USB end to the Moonstone and the regular USB end to your computer to fully charge it. Also, if you have a USB wall charging adapter you can recharge this pack using the adapter with the included cable by plugging it into any wall outlet.

The Apple Green color is just like a Granny Smith apple, a bright green with a yellow/lime undertone. Unlike many battery packs, the Moonstone is offered in a variety of bright and fun colors, which is perfect for choosing the color that goes best with your device.

On the side of the Moonstone there are 3 ports, two USB charging ports and the small micro USB port used for recharging the Moonstone. This battery pack had no difficulties recharging both my iPhone and my iPad Mini. On the top of the Moonstone there are LED lights that indicate the amount of power left available. As the Moonstone is charging, these also light up so you can see just how more more it still needs charged.

It's bright colors and smooth glossy design make it one of the best looking battery packs on the market. It's packaging is quite nice and it's almost like a presentation when opening it. Very suitable for gift giving. And it even comes with it's own storage pouch for keeping everything in. Very nice!

A sample was provided for an unbiased review.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great at first, but now doesn't recharge, April 2, 2014
I bought this because I travel a lot from work and am often not near an outlet to recharge. I received it in time for Opening Day, used it out of the box and loved it! It fully recharged my phone and two friends also used it to charge their phone. At the end of the day I still had one bar of power remaining! The two people who also used it also went out and purchased the product because they were so impressed at the short amount of time it took to charge a phone.
However, I tried to recharge the unit itself the other day. I plugged it in and left it all day while I was at work. When I came home it had only moved to two bars charged. I unplugged and tried plugging it back in to charge overnight. It got to two bars and kept flashing, but I let it go and in the morning again it was not fully charged. I don't know if this is a product defect, but I'm a little disappointed because I really liked the initial use of the product!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought three.... Do not recommend., May 9, 2014
I ordered 3 of these for Christmas gifts and not one of them has consistently worked. They take all night to re-charge and one quit taking charge after the first week. The other two worked fine for the first few charges and then did not take a charge. When they did work, they were amazing. I didn't get to return these before my 30 days were up and contact with Lepow seems non-existent. I cannot find any contact info to return while under warranty. I do not recommend purchasing this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody Must Get (moon)Stoned, March 5, 2014
I received the Moonstone 6000 as a 'for review' item but the vendor never asked for or even implied that a positive review was expected in return. And they didn't have to because a quality product that does what's expected of it and then it manages to exceed expectations can speak for itself. So here are my thoughts after trying it out.

INNOVATION AND DESIGN

There's not a lot of room for originality when your product is a phone/tablet 'charger' but don't tell that to the Moonstone's designers. They managed to not follow the traditional 'smartphone' shape of most other chargers and packed their battery inside a nice, different shape. They call it 'parabola' and I'm not sure if this is translation for a Chinese word that better describes it but you can see it in the pictures at Amazon's page. It's very much in the shape of a Roku, only a little smaller and lighter.

The status button is concealed and the status LEDs blink from under the Moonstone's skin so the only breaks in the stone's body are the one MicroUSB port used to charge the Stone itself and the two output USB ports used to charge your devices.

THE EXPERIENCE

The makers managed to significantly reduce the dulness generally associated with a backup charger trough the innovative design and providing a choice of nice colors to pick from but that's not all. In the package there's a very nice charging cable as well and , believe it or not, TWO carrying bags, one felt with separate pockets for the Stone and the cable and whatever else and a larger nylon bag. I am impressed.

But, wait, that's not all. When you order the Moonstone, that's not all you get. The box comes packed with little gifts. I don't know if everybody gets the same items and I won't list them all here because the surprise should be part of the unboxing experience but I will note that they are colorful and some do have a practical value - a mini stylus, a MicroSD USB card reader. Others are just 'pretty things' and some left us wandering what they were meant to be or do, which was fun.

OPERATION

6000 mAh should be enough to charge most phone at least twice. The stone has 2 charging ports, one for phones, the other for tablets and they are nicely labelled. The provided cable can be used to both charge the Stone itself or to charge your own device. There's not much else to say other than it works well. The device does not overheat while being charged and shuts itself off when it's done charging your gadget or after you unplug it. The 4 status lights will tell you when it's time to juice up the Stone.

RATING

It's 5 stars for the innovative design, flawless operation and all the nice and unexpected 'extras' that come with the product. Good job Lepow.

5.0 out of 5 stars Killing 3 Birds with 1 Moonstone, November 13, 2013
I received my yellow Moonstone6000 a little while back and all I can say is that I am IN LOVE with it! I am able to charge my iPhone5s at least 3 times before needing to recharge the battery. It's extremely easy to use and I love how you can check the remaining power with a simple click of the button; my previous portable charger was unable to do that! Killing 3 birds with one stone (er, moonstone), this charger is compact, efficient, AND cute! Love it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor performance, April 25, 2014
I own 4 external batteries: one Lepow Moonstone 6000, two Anker Astro Mini 3000, and one K-MAX 2800. Surprisingly, Moonstone can provide only one incomplete charge to my iPhone 5: 20% to 88%; Anker and K-Max products, even with half capacity of Moonstone 6000, can charge iPhone 5 full capacity (20% to 100%) and still have more power available. Moonstone is much more bulky compared to the other products; also more expensive compared to Anker and much more expensive compared to K-MAX. As it stands now, it is simply no match to other brands.
Update: wrote to cs@lepow.us (customer service email) about this issue. No reply so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic accessory for smart phone users, July 27, 2013
This small, portable and exquisite device really improves the power duration of my phone. It's easy to carry with and use.

The best point is the charging speed which is very fast, like 45% for only eight to ten minutes.

What's more, which I have to emphasize on is the incredibly fantastic design, I just love it so much~

All in all, definitely an essential for smart phone users like me~

5.0 out of 5 stars Great battery for a great price, February 28, 2014
Brock Rumer (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
There are a million USB batteries out there, but this one truly stands out b/c of great design and attention to detail.

Its compact shape makes it easy to bring along; it looks good; and it feels great in your hand. The pouch it comes in is quite nice, tho it does take away from it being really compact.

The package includes a number of accessories as noted by other reviewers. Are these things you really need? Maybe not, but it shows me that LEPOW is interested in giving you more and not cutting corners.

Which brings me to the most impressive thing - the authenticity check. There is a little scratch-off on the package that reveals a code you can enter on their site to verify you have an authentic product. I've been burned before by fake/knock-off products passed off as real, so it's a nice peace of mind. But the fact that they went the extra mile with that makes me think they put a similar amount of effort into the things you can't see.