Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Leprechaun's Gold
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

85%
15%
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 17, 2007
There's so much to like about this book I'm not sure where to begin. First off the author/illustrator team of Pamela Duncan Edwards and Henry Cole is well known for their many popular collaborations including, Some Smug Slug, and Clara Caterpillar. The Leprechaun's Gold easily upholds their fine reputation. Edwards's writing is so fluid it flows off the tongue.

The text doesn't rhyme, but there is a lilt as the words spill from page to page. This is not a short book. It takes about 7 or 8 minutes to read aloud, but the story is appealing and actually humorous in areas. The Leprechaun's Gold is recommended for children 4 to 7 years, which I deem appropriate not only in content, but in vocabulary as well.

The illustrations are eye-catching. Cole uses watercolor as a base and adds either color pencils, or pastels on top of the paint for added detail and contrast. The result is very rich, deep hues that pop off the pages.

As an added bonus Cole includes a hide and seek quality that we love in picture books. At the end of the story, the author challenges the reader to find all 16-four-leaf clovers hidden throughout the pages. My son was so intrigued he spent close to an hour looking for all those silly clovers. The Leprechaun's Gold is a remarkable book that has the potential to teach several lessons about greed, and egoism to kindness and forgiveness.
on March 17, 2011
I had ordered several books for St. Patrick's Day from Amazon that I was planning on reading to my grandchildren. With background as a preschool teacher I felt I had been careful in my selections and had found the best of the available books. When I visited the grandkids on the day before St. Patrick's Day I brought along a pile of the newly arrived books and we enjoyed reading them together. However, somehow in my ordering I missed this one. Luckily my daughter had purchased it because the kids love it and after reading the story (and finding the shamrocks on each page) we had to go back through and find the shamrocks again, not once, but twice. The story has good values to teach without feeling heavy-handed in the process and the illustrations are rich and inviting. I've got it on my wishlist for my next Amazon order.
on July 4, 2010
I teach 1st grade and every year my students love this book. It is the perfect representation of the spirit of Leprechauns.
on February 9, 2012
The message of this leprechaun book is that kindness and unkindness will be repaid in full, and truly Young Tom learns the hard way to treat others well. This book is fine for even the youngest of audiences -- nothing but niceness in the book.

Other leprechaun books are more entertaining. Try "Too Many Leprechauns" by Stephen Krensky.
on February 21, 2016
I purchased this book for my first grade classroom! I love to have seasonal & holiday books to read with my students. This book with be great for discussing character traits and problem/solution! I know the kids will love it. Recommend!
on June 12, 2011
I bought this book to share a bit about leprechauns and Ireland around St. Patrick's Day with the children I taught at a daycare. I loved the story, but as we read the story, we all noticed that there was a four leaf clover on each page. So, besides enjoying the story, we also had the fun of going back through the story to find all the four leaf clovers. After we read it as a group, several of the boys asked to look through the book on their own. So, this story is a winner in my book!
on February 19, 2007
I am an elementary education major and am planning to use this book in one of my direct teaching lessons. The story will entrance the third graders and learn a lesson in the meantime. Great story for St. Patrick's Day.
on April 27, 2016
The lyrical phrasing in this story makes it a great read aloud, The illustrations are charming and help tell the tale. I have read a lot of leprechaun stories and this is fresh and different. It contains all the elements of a memorable story and has a very satisfying ending. I have read it about a zillion times now to my three-year-old grandaughter and she still requests it. This is now an important volume in my St. Patrick's Day collection.
on March 29, 2012
Did you ever do something mean to some one. Well, in The Leprechaun's Gold a man named Tom did. In the beginning a man named Old Pat was playing his harp. He was trying to win a contest. Tom wanted to eliminate him.
So he started to walk to the contest. If you want to see what's next read the book.
My favorite part in the book is when they are walking to the contest and they find a little man stuck in a hole. That was my favorite part because it is funny.
I recommend this book to all ages because it is funny, exiting and there is sixteen four leaf clovers in the book. Get this book!
on March 16, 2013
Looking for a new & different book to add to my children's reading collection. Lved this one - so did the kids!

HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY!