Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Les Miserables: Vocal / Piano Selections
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 9, 1999
I purchased this edition recently at a local music store and have enjoyed it very much. The level of difficulty is great enough to sound very much like the original yet simple enough to be performed by a moderately advanced pianist. Castle on a Cloud, Bring Him Home, and On My Own are especially nice.
on June 18, 2001
This book is great book for all those singers and piano players out there who have fallen in love with Les Mis. I first heard the Les Mis songs through playing them with my high school concert band and after that I bought the piano book so I could play the songs on the piano. I just played 5 of the songs in the book in a medley at my piano recital and I believe it was very enjoyable for everyone there since most were familiar with the music. I highly recommend this book because the piano music is not too difficult to play and the voice ranges for singers are good especially if you're an alto like me. Les Mis definitely has some of the greatest and most beautiful songs ever written!
on August 6, 2005
This is a great book for the singer that loves musical theater. As a musician though, I would have liked Bring Him Home to be in the correct key. It is a major 3rd below the original key, or at least from what is sung on broadway and any traveling show. I was hoping to use this piece for an audition, but now I will have to see if I can get a hold of the real score since this was published assuming that anyone buying it would be incapable of singing the piece (an insult to the singers buying it if you ask me).
55 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 1999
I highly recommend this book for singers. The songs are very "singable" and there is something for all vocal ranges, men and women. This book is a essential for your music collection!
on April 25, 2004
The music of Les Miserables is incredibly captivating, and being able to play it makes it even better. The music in this book isn't for beginners, and with alot of effort an intermediate pianist could play the music. Every part is covered for the vocals in songs like "A Heart Full of Love" and "In My Life." I was a little dissappointed with "Red and Black" not included, but I still enjoy playing from this book every day.
on December 16, 2000
I saw that someone else has the same gripe as I do, I wish that the contents of the book were listed here. I loved the book, the songs were wonderful and easy to follow, but if I hadn't been able to find a copy before I bought it I would not have known which songs were in it, and I might not have bought it. Just a suggestion.
on May 29, 2000
I really liked the book and how it treated many of the songs, yet I was really looking forward to singing the song accompanying Javert's suicide. This is not in the book and that was very disappointing to me.
on June 18, 2015
I consider myself a solid middle of the road piano player. Not a beginner but definitely not an expert. In terms of skiing, I like the blue runs of piano/vocal music -- this book fits the bill perfectly. I can play through it by sight but it sounds good and challenges me enough to think but not get frustrated. Great arrangements in singable (mostly) keys.
on March 22, 2011
If you like the music from the play, this book is a very nice set of arrangements for vocalist or pianist. I've had the book for years and just recently purchased one for one of my vocal students who also plays piano. She was thrilled.
on January 11, 2013
This book has about fourteen songs, it is not the complete set so do not buy this if you want to play every song. The song are beautiful and heartfelt. The difficulty depends on your skill level, it's the same as any other musical piano scoring like Beauty and the Beast etc in which they add some little things to make it sound fuller. If you're not a diehard and just an admiring fan like me than these songs will be enough. Once again they are magnificently arranged, and included are pictures and the storyline from the broadway musical.