5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT book!
I just received this book in the mail, after pre-ordering it prior to publication, and I am thrilled. I couldn't wait to try the recipes.

Published on September 29, 2011 by CAC

2.0 out of 5 stars Great pictures, bad recipes
Published on January 28, 2012 by Penelope

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT book!, September 29, 2011
CAC "CAC" (washington dc) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Les Petits Macarons: Colorful French Confections to Make at Home (Hardcover)

I love macarons,and I have purchased several books on the subject, but this one is by far the best. Although it has several amazing recipes (such as the key lime with marshmallow fluff -- YUM!), it also offer endless variations on shells and fillings. Fillings include ice milks for frozen treats, jams and pate de fruit, ganache, and buttercream. Shells include variations in nuts, flavors, and colors -- even savory recipes such as a maple bacon bourbon filling. You are limited only by your own imagination in flavor combinations. And BONUS -- you get really wonderful recipes that are excellent all on their own for jams, ice milks, and buttercream.

The troubleshooting chapter at the end of the book, complete with thumbnail visuals, is especially helpful. I spotted several of my own mistakes in this chapter, and I now have the guidance to correct them.

If you have unsuccessfully tried to make macarons in the past, or if you are an experienced macaron maker, this book would be great for either the novice or the expert (and everyone in between). The directions are very detailed, the recipes are professionally written in language that is easy to follow, and the book is beautifully designed. I also love the fact that measurements are listed by both quantity and weight. The recipes range from simple combinations to complex presentations.

I'm so glad I purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes, March 12, 2012
I tried baking macarons in the past with internet recipe. They didn't look great, and I felt the recipe called for too much sugar. Thanks to this book I know there was too much sugar and why they didn't look great (troubleshooting section). So far I've tried the book's Italian and french meringue techniques. Both came out great, but I do prefer Italian. I did not like the sizes offered (1 or 2 inch) and created 1.5" macarons by following baking directions for the largest and cutting the final baking time in half. Few prior reviewers mentioned the cost of ingredients, but considering these babies cost a minimum of $2.50/each at a patisserie... Yes, nut flours are expensive and recipes call for a lot of egg whites. I have been using my scale to measure the ingredients and found that using large eggs you need less egg white than the recipe calls for. I do refuse to spend money on flavor compounds recommended by the authors so to make fruit flavored macarons I have been using freeze dried fruit powders by following the espresso recipe and replacing coffee with fruit powders. You can add a little more than 1 tbsp, just don't go overboard and enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great pictures, bad recipes, January 28, 2012
I am a hobbyist baker; I've made plenty of macarons in the past. I sell them on the side and I've always had great success when making these delightful cookies. So, when I saw this book at a local store and saw that there were variations on the recipes that I have tried, as well as an "easy" way to make macarons, I caved and bought this. As one of the other reviews mentioned, the "easy" recipe was anything but successful. It instructed to not age the eggs, and not to set them before putting them in the oven. My "easy" macarons turned into one big blog that barely rose and really didn't taste all that great. I was shocked!

I thought I had messed up on my own, but no, after 2 more tries, it really wasn't me. It was the recipe. And the other recipes? Why mess with cooking the meringue when hundreds of other bakers have successfully instructed otherwise. Honestly, this book instructs the baking of macarons in a long, complicated, and/or completely unsuccessful way.

But on the other hand, the pictures are nice and the fillings suggestions are quite inventive.

Sorry, Gordon & McBride, I just wasn't happy with this.

~~An unhappy baker

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Resource, May 17, 2012
I've been making macarons for a few months now with OK results. I recently purchased this book which uses a completely different macaron method than I'm used to. (See my review for Mad About Macarons for another great book.) I was definitely hesitant to try especially because of some of the poor reviews. A few things I'd like to points out:

*Many bakers are not used to combining the sugar with the egg whites before beginning to whip them. I know I'm not. But the whites still whipped and I got a nice firm meringue. I didn't notice any difference adding the sugar first vs as the whites' foamy stage.

*Not all macaron bakers let their batter set before putting them in the oven. This book has you dry the batter out in the oven for 15 minutes at 200 degrees to dry out the batter, accomplishing the same setting affect to achieve feet. It works.

*The troubleshooting guide is outstanding. It's helpful for the methods used in this book as well as for any macaron making method. The only thing that rattles my brain is that one macaron symptom can mean many things (i.e. air pockets can be too much air in batter, too high oven temp or too low oven temp). But that doesn't mean the guide is useless. Like baking anything, trial and error is how things eventually come out perfect.

*The book does not state to not age the egg whites. It is always stressed. It contains an alternate method for baking if you're just that impatient that you don't have time to age them. And it clearly states that your results will not be as good as if the whites are aged.

My macarons always look amazing. Using the method in this book was no exception. My only problems I've had with macarons are hollow shells, using both this method and Jill Calonna's method (Mad About Macarons). This is not the fault of either book. It is going to take more experience on my part to get them absolutely perfect. And hollow shells by no means says that my macs are inedible. The video on Le Petits Macarons website is a must-watch. You really get to see what consistency your batter should be and how to slam down your baking sheets to release and excess air in the batter. Who doesn't love making noise and slamming baking sheets in frustration?

I gave this book 4 stars because I am not a fan of it's layout. I have to flip to different sections for recipes, baking instructions, piping instructions, etc. It's good how everything was put together in sections, but it was complicated going back to the different sections as the clock was ticking during making, macaronage, etc. But all of the important information is included in the book.

Overall it is a good book and an extremely useful resource for any macaron recipe you may try. But for the traditionalist, this may not be the best book with it's alternative recipes and methods.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beautiful book!, October 8, 2011
This book is very well written and easy to follow. I love the pictures and the classy look of the book. I can actually make macarons now! I love the trouble shooting section - every cookbook needs that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum Yum, September 2, 2013
My Friend Monique Desvoyes of St. Nom La Breteche, France taught me how to make the macarons the French way. She gave me very precise instructions and tips. I wanted a book that would give me recipes for the fillings and variations for the cookies themselves. I looked, and looked, until I came across this treasure trove. This little book gives excellent directions and excellent photographs. Tells you the correct way for your macaron to look (the French are very discerning of the correct "look"), how to prepare your ingredients (even aging the egg whites), preparing the pans, and photos of how the batter should look. This is not all, besides the basic French Method, the authors give you recipes for the Italian, Swiss, and Kathryn's Easiest French Method. This book has all the tips Monique gave me and more to boot. Buy this book and you will not be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Inadequate, December 21, 2013
N. Richman (Petaluma, California) - See all my reviews
Although the pictures are pretty, the directions are inadequate, leaving out much of the technical details that make for good macarons. I made two batches following the author's directions and threw out both of them. After taking a class in macaron making, I discovered how many things I had done wrong, from not sifting the almond flour with the confectionery sugar sufficiently to baking with the convection on in my oven. I have done a fair amount of cooking and baking, but macarons need much more detailed instructions for cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!, November 14, 2011
I love the way this book looks but what i love most is the great and delicious results you get from the recipes. I'm glad i got it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book as beautiful to look at it is delicious to follow!, October 7, 2011
Cynthia Rhea (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
And the recipes are easy to follow, with very yummy results. A perfect gift or treat yourself. The quality of the paper, photography and design elevate this from the cook book shelf to the coffee table.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointed!!, March 8, 2014
This was a huge dissapointment! And sadly I feel that most people who have given it 5 stars have not actually tried to make the macaron recipes yet, If I was only rating the pictures and layout of the book I would give it 5 stars also. I have made macarons several times before and have most recently started selling them as a side business. I have tried several recipes from various blogs that have always brought me great results. I purchased this book about a year ago and have tried using the recipes in the book on three different occasions. Each time has brought horrible horrible results, the first AND second time my shells cracked and the third time my shells were wrinkly! I did enjoy the troubleshoot section in the back of the book so you can see what you have done, but really?!? How can I fail at these recipes 3 times in row and make every other recipe perfectly!! Something is not right!!
I will say that the filling recipes are amazing! And I have gotten several great ideas from that. But overall I'm pretty disappointed about the recipes!

Les Petits Macarons: Colorful French Confections to Make at Home
Les Petits Macarons: Colorful French Confections to Make at Home by Anne E. McBride (Hardcover - October 4, 2011)
$18.00 $10.44