Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

on February 27, 2013
As one who was there, I applaud Phil for this boffo documentary. Well told and a great teaching tool... I recommended it to a high school student I mentor. TheThird Wave represents a seminal event in terms of teaching "outside the traditional book".

Jones may have used it as a springboard for the United Student Movement---a subject only he can address. Would recommend "Hassling ---Two years in a suburban high school" by Sylvia Williams as a followup read that continues the Jones saga..No question Cubberley in the1960's was cutting edge. Probably why th PAUSD got rid of the school.

In summary, this is a short film that should be watched by all high school government students. It's an event that will not be replicted.
on April 4, 2013
I liked it. I wish there was more talk about how the students actually felt, rather than just "what happened," but it was a good film overall.
on April 17, 2014
This is not a high-budget documentary, but they did a fantastic job of telling the story from firsthand witnesses and participants in Ron Jones' totalitarianism simulation. They kept the pace fresh and interesting throughout the documentary. I appreciated the choice of guest interview from the Stanford Prison experiment Psychologist Philip George Zimbardo. Everyone I've watched it with has come away with fresh-perspective and respect and sympathy for those that fall prey to collective group think, and I think are more guarded in their lives to our own biases and participation in these "tribal" systems. Many of my family members are teachers, they also found a challenging take away in their power to teach, and caution for taking a lesson too far.

Note to the makers and interviewees: Thank you for your participation in the making of this fantastic documentary, this was a great story that needed to be shared.
on December 24, 2014
be sure to watch the Bruce Davison 45-minute TV movie as well so that you can see what really happened when a h.s. teacher tried to give students a lesson about how easily people can get sucked into fascism. It is quite accurate for the most part, as borne out by this documentary. Chilling and still relevant, esp. post 9/11.