5.0 out of 5 stars not how to photograph but how to be a photographer
Published on August 7, 2011 by DrDanno

3.0 out of 5 stars Introspection but too little on photography
In the spring of 2005, writes Lorenzo Dominguez, he and his wife became separated, and he found himself looking for a roof to put over his head. He eventually found a small room in a Manhattan church sanctuary, and while living there, going through the introspection that most of us do when going through traumatic events in our lives, he took up photography.

His...
Published 18 months ago by Zinta Aistars

5.0 out of 5 stars not how to photograph but how to be a photographer, August 7, 2011
DrDanno (Hadera, Israel) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 25 Lessons I've Learned about Photography...Life (text only) (Kindle Edition)
Of the over 100 books on my kindle, this is the one I cherish and identify with the most. Also the one I will search for a hard cover copy to keep near me on my desk. I took up photography around a year ago as a way to cope with my MS which became progressive. Did the usual surfing between many great and not so great web sites, did a course in an exclusive school and read a number of books on the subject. I did learn how to photograph. What Lorenzo gave me though was the soul my craft was lacking. Lorenzo doesn't teach technique but he gives whole heartedly the essence of photography , of being a photographer.
In the process he shares his philosophy of life with us. He is very well read and knowledgeable and it is a treat to read the passages and quotes with which he enriches his book. Indeed he seems the perfect partner for an intellectual conversation over coffee.
It was easy for me identify with Lorenzo and how he coped with the turmoil in his life as own had immersed in turmoil. A father of three girls, an Orthopaedic surgeon with many years of intensive training in endurance athletics my life turned upside down when my marriage began to unravel and I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis ( which turned into a constantly progressive type). The way I coped , my outlook on life parallel those of the author's. Many times i though I was reading my biography.
This book is a must for photographers of all levels, amateurs, enthusiasts and beyond. It shines a light on what is forgotten while we delve into technique .
This book is a must for anybody dealing with personal crisis of any sort.
Lorenzo is inspiring , and one hell of a good photographer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feeding the Creative Soul, November 5, 2011
This book is about an inspirational creative journey through a challenging life change for the author. He invited us into his emotionally torn world to illustrate that it is possible to reconnect with a repressed creative passion and in that reconnection remember some life lessons. He retreated to photography, the lost passion of his youth, after a separation from his wife. He picked up a camera once again and found creativity that helped him at a time of loss and disappointment. As he fed his creative soul photographing the city at night, every night, he began to heal and new doors opened.

Exploring and seeing the city each night through his viewfinder seemed to bring him peace. He immersed himself in seeing and capturing scenes of his city with a different point of view. Sometimes he became so focused on his quest that he found himself in unsafe areas. He climbed and straddled fences and stood in the street among cabs to capture a unique point of view. He demonstrated that if we are willing to give ourselves over to our creative passion, we may see everyday things in a different way, including ourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars 25 Lessons I've Learned about Photography. . . Life, November 18, 2010
I absolutely loved this book! The author presents his real life stories about photography and life in 25 fun and engaging ways. His lessons learned on the streets of NYC are inspirational and motivating. As a perennial student of innovation, I found many of his 25 lessons to be metaphors for creative thinking. The author's candor is refreshing and the book a must for anyone who wants to see photography and life in a fresh new light.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Matter of Perspective, November 14, 2010
Where you are makes a difference to what you see. New York photographer Lorenzo Dominguez found himself in a difficult position when his marriage failed. He, like many, had painted himself into a corner by accepting the values of others: the usual, wife, children, house in suburbia, mortgage, corporate job, respectability, doing the right thing. Everything was right. Everything was false.

Lorenzo's family had broken up, leaving him desperate and grieving. Somehow he broke free of self obsession. He sensed that many others shared his plight, if not his position. Armed only with a camera, Lorenzo took to the streets. The photographs he took were focused with the love he could not express to his wife any longer.

A twirl of the f-stop, a step to one side that moves the frame: the picture in the lens changes. Lorenzo went on a search for the beauty he had seen in his wife and children. He found there was not just a focus and a f-stop. There was an angle of beauty.

Because his photography was part of his healing process, Lorenzo learnt to see photography as a metaphor. If what you see causes you pain, you can move, adopt another viewpoint, another perspective. Happiness is mobility, flexibility. There is a perspective for everyone where what they see brings contentment and fulfillment. They just have to keep moving until they find it. There is a point of view we can all seek out. From it we can view the beauty inherent in all things. No need to resent the ugliness and sterility we see around us. Move!

Lorenzo formulated 25 lessons. Based on his adventures roaming the city taking photographs, they are techniques and tips about taking better photographs. They are also techniques and tips for leading a better life. The book is a compendium of what Lorenzo has learned. The book succeeds though because it is uniformly genuine. Based firmly on his life experience, Lorenzo is personal and unaffected throughout. He avoids playing the sage, though his book is generous with quotations and references from writers and sages he admires.

A photographer deals in light. Like a river, light is always changing. Like a river, a person is always changing. Just like a river, when we cease to change, we start to stagnate. Lorenzo's book is an autobiography. It begins with the drama of his marriage breakup, continues with his 'therapy' of photography and the wisdom he derived from this practice, and ends with the story of his early life. Unavoidably, the first section is more engaging, because tragedy is more involving. What Lorenzo calls lessons are wisdom he has distilled from his own life, and the reception this part is given by readers depends very much on their willingness to learn, and their willingness to match experience with Lorenzo.

The book I read ended with a selection of 37 photographs (though the text referred to photos in context eg "to the right" etc.) These are predominantly of people waiting in the streets of New York. Each picture tells a story, and the viewer can have a lot of fun decoding and telling each story. There are stories about illusions, fantasies, loneliness, poverty, celebration. The comparison with Cartier-Bresson is apt, however extraordinary that claim may seem.

The book goes a long way towards explaining why two people can photograph the same scene and end up with two very different photographs.

5.0 out of 5 stars So inspiring for an aspiring photographer, February 18, 2012
Picked up this book just for fun, thinking it could be interesting. I'm so glad I did! As an aspiring photographer, 25 lessons has given me inspiration and motivation to really go for my goals. Thank you Lorenzo for your helpful hits, tips and tricks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book to read, February 3, 2012
Enrique Gonzalez (Cape Coral, Florida) - See all my reviews
I usually don't read much due to time restrains, but saw the title of this book and the price and decided to give it a try. Even though I had little time I couldn't put it down.

It helps you appreciate life and as a photographer I can see how we can turn anything in life into a situation where we can record that split second through a still image and make the best out of any moment of our life no matter how hard it gets sometimes.

I really appreciate this book and I think Lorenzo is a great artist and writer, a true inspiration to all not just phophotographers

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, January 11, 2012
I just finished reading your book and it was breath taking. It's as if you placed all the words I've been wanting to say throughout my life time.You really inspirited me to look further into my own life and what I've always craved for.
Every inspirational. Motivates you to reach out and accomplish your true spritural goals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give the Gift of Inspiration, December 11, 2011
I absolutely couldn't put down Lorenzo Dominguez's "25 Lessons I've Learned About Life". As a photographer, the book was more than instructive in ways to approach my my craft. But what truly grabbed me was the inspirational story which Lorenzo wove through the piece and which jumps out and grabs you at each turn of the page. "25 Lessons" is richly written from the heart of a true Renaissance man who lived through a difficult time, had the courage to share his story with his readers, and to come out of the experience that much stronger. So, as we wind down the year and gear up for another, why not give something lasting to a colleague, family member or friend? Why not consider the gift of inspiration that is: "25 Lessons I've Learned About Life".

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, November 21, 2011
JMinSF (SAN FRANCISCO, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
Lorenzo's "25 Lessons..." is a gem of a book: Part autobiography, part self-help treatise and partly an inspirational essay intended specifically for aspiring photographers, he manages to speak clearly and in a heartfelt way about the trials and joys of self-expression, with or without a camera in hand. The book itself is a beautiful manifestation of the philosophy of life he aspires to: seize the day, go for broke, be yourself, Lorenzo tells us, and with this book he DOES it. His primary message and his folksy and easy conversational style fit right in with the business model of this book (Lorenzo has chosen to make it available very, very cheaply here on Amazon so everyone with any interest in reading it can get a copy without thinking twice), and I swear that his occasional misspellings and malapropisms could be intentional, a way of saying "the important thing is to get it out and to say it and not to worry excessively about other people's ideas of what does and what does not constitute great art". I loved this book, made pages of notes to myself as I read it the first time over the course of a week or so, and then one rainy day I read it again all the way through in one sitting.

Delightful. It costs 99 cents. You owe it to yourself. Get a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to be inspired, March 16, 2011
Let's face it - there are hundreds of books out there that will instruct you on how to use your camera, adjust your exposure, and frame the shot. How is this book better than those? It makes me want to actually USE my camera. And even better than that ---- it makes me want to live my life more fully! This book shares one photographers personal growth journey as both a photographer and a student of life and takes us along. The writing is engaging and accessible and fills your heart up. It is a quick read that will stay with you for a long time.

Rate and Discover Movies