Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Let All the Children Come to Me: A Practical Guide Including Children with Disabilities in Your Church Ministries
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on February 19, 2007
A book on the topic of including special needs children in church ministries was badly needed and this book is VERY well done! I am a teacher and the mother of a son with autism. I found the book to not only address issues for the Sunday School program, but also to be a TERRIFIC handbook for parents, regular ed teachers, and special ed teachers -- There are some really great activities included in the book that will help demystify the special needs child to the neurotypical child. In my opinion, all faiths will find this to be a tremendous resouce. I bought two the first time I ordered-- one for our family and one for our minister. I have just placed an order for another to give away...I hope that the authors will write a sequel -- addressing the supports that siblings and parents of special needs children would find helpful from their church families. I'll be first in line to buy it!!
on September 13, 2008
This book is written for the typical Sunday School teacher with no prior special needs training, however, even special educators can learn from it, or at least be reminded of essential principles. I loved this book because it offers practical advice for putting Christ's practices in to action in the Sunday school classroom. More important than changing what we are teaching to reach the child with special needs, is the changing of our attitude about why the child is there to begin with, and from there how to impart the lesson, which may be different than the lesson being taught to the other children. We all learn differently, and we all come away from a situation with a different experience. I loved the book and recommend it for use even in a secular classroom. I had our church purchase several of these books for all of our Sunday school teachers to read. It's easy to read and can be read in a few sittings. It should be required reading for ALL (not just special needs) Sunday school teachers.
on January 13, 2008
This book gets you started in integrating the special children into Sunday School programs and other children's program at a church. It also prepares the teachers. I do wish though, that it also integrated more ideas and programs to actually start the program and implement it. Good book to get the ball rolling though.
VINE VOICEon June 5, 2011
What I like:
--Begins with the groundwork that salvation belongs to everyone, whereas many other guides begin with the premise that we are all created in God's image (which is true, but not as central to why we do what we do. The image of God is why we shouldn't exclude anyone with special needs; the hope of salvation is why we should include them in meaningful ways)
--Three authors allow for more voices and pooled knowledge
--Great forms integrated into the text
--Love the title.

What I don't like:
--Forms aren't designed to be easily copied from the manual and used in ministry settings due to formatting issues (but this doesn't bother me because I like to make any forms our own anyway, with our logo and our wording)
--Also could provide a little info overload, but not as much as Special Needs Smart Pages.

Best for: Those engaged in children's ministry

(If you only get one special need ministry book, though, I think your best pick is Same Lake, Different Boat: Coming Alongside People Touched by Disability.)