Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 27, 2004
FIRST OFF THIS CD IS GREAT, IF YOU LIKE UPBEAT, UPTEMPO, WITH A LITTLE FUNKYNESS THROWN IN. PRETTY MUCH HALF OF THE CD IS MOSTLY DIFFERENT THAN THE OTHER RIPPINGTONS CD'S, AS NOT SO MUCH SMOOTH JAZZ BUT MORE UPBEAT. I THINK RUSS AND THE BOYS JUST GOT TIRED OF DOING THE SAME OLD THING AND DECIDED TO HAVE FUN. KIM STONE REALLY SHINES WITH SOME GREAT SLAP BASS AND THE OVERALL MELODIES MAKE YOU WANT TO TAP YOUR FOOT TO THE POINT OF GETTING UP AND DANCING. THERE ARE STILL SOME GREAT LATIN AND SMOOTH TRACKS THERE BUT THIS CD IS NOT FOR RELAXING WITH A GLASS OF WINE, IT'S MORE FOR A SPEEDY MOUNTAIN DRIVE WITH THE TOP DOWN. I REALLY RATE THIS CD HIGH, THOUGH IT IS A CHANGE FROM MOST OF THEIR OTHER WORK.
Peak Records new release from The Rippingtons "Let It Ripp", completely blows you away ~ each musician Russ Freeman (guitar/keyboards), Dave Karasony (drums), Scott Breadman (percussion), Bill Heller (keyboards), Eric Marienthal (sax) and Kim Stone (bass) totally bring smooth jazz to a higher plateau. Their sound is unmistakable, from the very first note you know you're in for a great performance with room to spare.
Entire album is a trip and a half ~ but there are some stand outs "A PRIVATE GETAWAY", with solo guitar opening by Freeman is excellent, as percussion blends a spell over the listener ~ "HIGH LIFE", gets low down with a syncopating beat penetrating through a wall of melodic avenues much like late scores from Henry Mancini ~ "BELLA LUNA", if you like flamenco guitar this one's for you ~ "STINGRAY", the opening to this track resembles the tune "Watermelon Man", great stuff ~ "CAST A SPELL", a mixture of the "X-Files" theme, as this cue does what the title states ~ "GET OVER IT", funky blues with hints of smooth as glass jazz, wonderful performance by one and all.
If you're a fan of smooth jazz and The Rippingtons, this has your name on it ~ don't pass this one up. Definitely some smokin' jazz players in this group of dedicated musicians. Stand up and take a bow on this great rhythmic, upbeat gig that will groove you with funk and mesmerize with hints of latin thrown in for good measure, gotta love it!
Total Time: 50:23 on 11 Tracks ~ Peak Records 8514-2 ~ (5/06/2003)
on November 15, 2005
First, I have to admit that I picked up this CD in a discount bin for a really low price. I had heard of the Rippingtons but didn't own any of their music, so I thought I would give it a shot as if I didn't like it I could easily have thrown it away from the price I paid for it. Maybe it is because this is my first Rippingtons CD, but I really, really enjoyed 'Let It Ripp!' It is a highly energetic disk, great driving music to open the sunroof and roll down the windows! I lean more towards acid jazz and funk, but I like lively jazz and this CD fits the bill! I really don't understand why others have berated this particular CD, it has motivated me to pick up more Rippington releases. I know what I like, and I liked this CD!
on July 24, 2003
A common practice with my first listen/review of a CD is to review the insert. Russ indicates that, ". . . our fan's seem to really love our high energy stuff, so we decided to go for it." Well. . . ., almost. This CD is a far cry from Weekend in Monaco, Curves Ahead and nowhere near the brilliance of their first recording Moonlighting. There was a certain edge to the upbeat stuff on the earlier Rippingtons CDs that disappeared somewhere around/after the Black Diamond release. Let it Ripp certainly hints at some of the "lost energy" but never attains the heights. Now, this review is not a complete pan. The musicianship is top notch - kudos to Bill Heller for some really nice keyboard work and Eric Marienthal is solid as always and a great addition. The tunes are solid (albeit with the Russ Freemanisms mentioned by another reviewer) but the group, as a whole, never really "lets it ripp."
on December 16, 2003
This is in regards to the Rippingtons release of Let It Ripp. I'll keep short and sweet. If you are a true Rippington's fan, you will certainly want this CD for your collection. Sure the familiar guitar sounds of Russ Freeman might get a little boring since he has so many CD's out, but his creative arrangements always amaze the listener. It might sound the same but in a different package, yet I will continue to buy and listen to his work. 4 out of 5 stars. Thanks.
on May 15, 2003
First, I am a huge fan of the Ripps...having purchased nearly the entire collection, and had the highest hopes for the new album after having my socks blown flat off by the sterling 2000 effort, "Life in the Tropics". That CD dazzled; this new one fizzles. Don't get me wrong...good production values, good writing, good playing, but the inspiration, drive and variety, well noted in the 2000 effort, and some stunning past releases, are just not there in this one. Perhaps it was because they avoided bringing in guests, unlike recent albums in the past, but, sadly, this is a sonically monochromatic effort, and I am used to hearing them in Technicolor!
The true Ripp fan will pass on this one other than just to add to the collection, making a complete set. Sorry, guys! Give me another "Avienda Del Mar" or "Til We're Together" next time...and bring on the guests!
on May 22, 2003
I am a fan of the Rippingtons since 1989. Seen numerous live concerts of them perform. Own almost all their CD's. But then, this album....with a title like LET IT RIPP.... is extremly disappointing. What happened Russ ? Barring a few songs like Private Getaway, Bella Luna & Cast a spell, the rest of the songs lack melody & direction. Russ seems to have lost a hold on this one. The instrumentation could have been much better with less/milder usage of sax & horns. Come on Russ...you are capable of something much better than this.
on January 31, 2004
Having been an ardent fan of the Rippingtons who scoured the earth for the rare albums, I am afraid to say that today's Rippingtons has lost its magic.
Much of that magic was from percussionst Steve Reid. Without him, the music has lost its sparkle, surprises and excitement. Having listened to Let It Ripp at the shops four times at a leisurely pace, I couldn't bring myself to get it. The musicianship is still there; the compositions are pleasant enough... but that raw energy, that Steve Reid mysticism, the stunning dynamics and interplay during the solos... all are absent here.
on May 24, 2014
Every song on this CD Deserves credit. The Music Industry is NOT THAT EASY. In fact it's a very difficult place to be. The Rippingtons make everything alright. All and All, EVERY SONG IS A GREAT SONG!
on April 17, 2013
As always, The Rippingtons give you great music. The "less is more" style on this album is superb!
The package was received in perfect condition and ahead of what i expected (always nice).
If you like jazz/ smooth jazz, you have to hear this one!