Let It Snow: Three Holiday Romances
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$6.50+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 20, 2015
I read this book every Christmas. Sometimes even when it's not Christmas, just to out myself in a jolly mood. This year was a bit depressing, and I read it 3 times.

I'm past the age of "young adult" describing me, however I still very much enjoy YA lit. This book is three interconnecting stories written by three different YA authors. I was familiar with Maureen Johnson and John Green, but had never read anything by Lauren Myracle. It was a quick read, and even though it was YA, with characters in high school, I can still see it appealing to older ages groups.

The first story, by Johnson is my favorite, and I would think the most universal. A girl is stranded in a strange town on Christmas Eve. She meets a strange boy who by the end of the story is not so much a stranger. The characters are quirky bit believeable. After reading this story I went out and read all of Johnson's other works, as you should. I was not disappointed.

The next story is by John Green who is perhaps currently YA's most famous author. He wrote this before Hollywood realized they could cash in on him. It is not my most favorite of his writings, but it is typical of his work. Smart brainy boy who is too cerebral to see what is plainly in front of him, goes through a quest and then sees what is in front of him. In this story it is two best friends and an ethnic third wheel (another John Green staple) who travel through a blizzard to reach cheerleaders trapped in a Waffle House.

Finally there is Lauren Myracle's offering. This is my least favorite of the stories. However since they all converge, this story contains the ending and a chance to see all the characters brought together. How do they do that? Coffee of course. Myracle's plot centers around a selfish girl who has broken up with her boyfriend but wishes she hasn't. She has some hardships and trials and then has about 8 epiphanies in one hour and lives happily ever after. If you aren't a teen, this story will be the hardest to swallow. I kept wanting to scream at the book. This girl is in no condition to be in a relationship. And no...just no.

But then all the storylines get wrapped up nicely and it is Christmas and snow and it makes me remember all my awkward teen doings at Christmas in snow. And I curl up on the metaphorical big comfy purple chairs in my head and let the book carry me into that great holiday feeling.
on April 27, 2010
This was probably one of the cutest books I've ever read. It features three different stories, from three fantastic authors, but in it's own way- they all seem to intertwine perfectly. A teensy tiny character would be introduced in the first story, and would end up having a big role in the third. It was so easy to see that these three authors really put their heads together to make every piece fit.

The first story, The Jubilee Express, written by Maureen Johnson, is about a girl named Jubilee, who gets whisked away from her usual comfortable Christmas routine, and tries to travel to her grandparent's house with unexpected trouble along the way. This was my least favorite story out of all of them. It wasn't bad, don't get me wrong, but everything just flew by way too fast. Even with the short length, I felt there could've been more progress between the characters.

The second story is A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle, written by John Green. It involves three best friends, two guys and a girl, who try to journey through the harsh snow after receiving a call from their friend at The Waffle House, informing them of lonely cheerleaders taking shelter there. This was my favorite out of all three. It was so light-hearted and wonderfully written that I think I was smiling the entire time.

The third story, The Patron Saint Of Pigs is written by Lauren Myracle. Addie must deal with the aftermath of cheating on her boyfriend, while trying to find a way to convince everybody that she's not self-centered. This was the one that really tied everything together, and it was the perfect tale to end the book.

Overall, it was really good. It definitely lifted my spirits after reading it, and it just puts you in a happy mood. The ending of the book was perfect, and I was sad that there wasn't another story attached. It's not heavily Christmas-oriented, it's really just a time frame that it takes place, so you could really read it at anytime. I most definitely recommend!
on September 23, 2009
From my experience, anthologies are rarely 5-star readings. The quality of stories is always uneven. This book is no exception.

The three romantic short stories in this book are set at the same time and in the same place - a small storm-stricken town during Christmas. They have common characters and crisscrossing story lines.

The first story written Maureen Johnson is about a girl who finds herself stranded after her train is stopped by a snow storm. During the following two days she realizes that her seemingly golden boyfriend is uncaring and selfish and finds new love.

Second novella written by John Green narrates a story of a boy and a girl who have been friends for years. While the girl is in love, the boy is unable to view her as his romantic interest. In the course of the story he discovers that she is in fact an attractive girl and finally realizes he wants to take their relationship to the next level.

The third story by Lauren Mycle deals with a girl's determination to change herself, become less self-centered and get back her boyfriend after their ugly breakup.

Out of these three stories John Green's is definitely the most entertaining and clever. I might be biased because I am a fan of his and don't know other two writers, but at this point the short stories by Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle didn't entice me into giving their novels a try. Their stories just seemed a little too childish and superficial.

Overall however, this is a pleasant and light feel-good book that is perfect for a snowy winter day read.
on January 2, 2014
Let it Snow is a story of romance, strangely realistic main characters, festive festivities, and slightly irritating writing. This short story compilation contains three stories written by Maureen Johnson, John Green, and Lauren Myracle respectively.

When I say slightly irritating writing, I don't mean anything hateful toward the authors whatsoever. In fact, I happen to like all of three of those authors just fine (okay, I haven't actually read anything of Myracle's writing, but I won't hold her short story to her. In fact, I really want to read The Infinite Moment of Us by her). It's just that I didn't really like the characters that they created, and they ultimately seemed to get on my nerves. I know I said that they were realistic in the first paragraph, and they are. But they're realistic in the sense that they're annoying.

And just so I don't leave you hanging, I'll tell you why I thought they were annoying. Okay, well Maureen Johnson's character Jubilee didn't annoy me. It was mostly Tobin and Addie. Tobin just discovers that he was all of a sudden in love with his best friend who's been around forever just by one look? It just seems like a cliche male character thought, to be honest. I thought that it was shallow and annoying, if not boring. I love John Green's writing to bits, and I have to admit that I'm really bummed that I didn't particularly enjoy this short story of his. I didn't hate it, but it was really slow at first. Slow beginnings turn me off instantly. Always. But in Green's beginning, the first seven chapters were literally Tobin and his friends either talking about cheerleaders or getting themselves stuck in idiotic situations like being stuck in a snow drift.

You didn't want to be stuck in a snow drift? Oh, well, here's an idea: don't take your parents' car out in the dead of winter because your friend said that there were cheerleaders.

But Tobin wasn't even that annoying compared to Addie. It wasn't even the writing that got me for Myracle's short story, it was her character. Throughout the entire short story, Addie is being told that she only thinks of herself. At first, I didn't see it. But then one of Addie's friends specifically asked her to do something for her, and Addie said yes. But then...she just doesn't do it. She forgets. She forgets. I'm sorry, but if you promise you're going to do something for someone, especially your best friend, do it. Don't make up excuses. When Addie realized that she forgot, she was about to take her break at Starbucks from her job when the water pipes break. Addie screws up yet again, and the water squirts all over behind the counter. She calls her other best friend, trying to tell her all about her horrible day all the while the other best friend is asking if Addie had done that thing their mutual friend asked her to do.

She hadn't. And yet she still tried to continue on with her story...about herself.

In all, I just wasn't really impressed with the stories or the characters. Jubilee was the least annoying if she could even be considered annoying at all, but she still wasn't that memorable. It's her name that's so memorable.

I hate giving it one star, because I usually give one star to unfinished books or books I wish I ever read, but I can't give this book two stars either because I had to force myself to finish the third story. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't amazing either. I don't really know how to make this a nice review without distorting my version of the truth, aka what I really thought about this book.
on August 25, 2009
I loved the first two stories. I think Maureen Johnson's (the first) was my favorite. It was just such a sweet, classic love story. John Green's (the second) was hilarious. The end was great too, even if it was a little abrupt. It was so nice once I got there that I'd have liked it to keep going. A little more kissing maybe! Lauren Myracle's story (the third, and last) was good but just not on the same lines as the first two.

The cover advertises the book as "three holiday romances," and Lauren's story focused mainly on the main character discovering herself and learning that she can change. I really wish that the romance in Lauren's story was more prominent since Jeb was set up in Maureen's story as such a nice guy. I'd have liked to see his story get more attention. The best part was the end when the characters from all three stories reunited, and we got to see the couples from Maureen's story and John's story after they got together. Overall, a recommended read!
on February 19, 2013
I got the book because I love John Green's writing. However, my favorite story turned out to be 'The Jubilee Express' by Maureen Johnson. It was cute and funny, but not overly deep. John Green's piece was a little less serious, but his writing draws the reader in. I had to keep reading, although if it had been written any other way I would have laughed at the plot. I do love his characters, so it was a nice read. The last story was by Lauren Myracle. I read the beginning and couldn't bring myself to keep reading. The protagonist was too self-pitying and annoying, and the kind of girl Johnson's Jubilee would have detested. It did get better towards the end, however, and the way it was finally wrapped up was a little contrived but still cute. If you're looking for some typical teenage fluff and humor, check this out.
on October 26, 2009
I picked this up on a whim while at the grocery store, and I'm so glad I did! It's a quick, fun and easy read, and you won't want it to end. The authors blend their stories seamlessly, while still keeping their unique voices. Plus, if you haven't read anything by these writers before, it's a nice introduction to their work.
on July 7, 2015
Though the snowdrifts are high, love still manages to make its way through to these stranded teens. Told in three installments by three of the best-known Young Adult authors today, Let It Snow is a heart-warming set of intertwined stories that confirm the joy of a little snow, a change of plans and Christmas.

In the first story, The Jubilee Express by Maureen Johnson, sixteen-year-old Jubilee Dougal's intention to spend Christmas Eve with her boyfriend, Noah, is upended when she finds out that her parents, who were waiting in line to add to their Flobie Village set, have been jailed because of an ensuing melee that broke out over this year's piece. She has one hour to pack and get on a train to Florida to stay with her grandparents until her parents get released. On her way, the train is disabled by a large snowdrift, and she finds herself stuck in Gracetown, North Carolina. They will be stuck there at least until the morning, so when she sees a Waffle House not too far away, she heads that way.

There she meets Stuart, who keeps her company on his way home from work. He invites her to come and stay at his house, saying that his mother would never forgive him if he didn't offer. Along the way, Jubilee has to face some facts about her current relationship. Is she happy?

Next is A Cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green. We see another side of the Waffle House when fourteen cheerleaders descend upon it from the same train. The high schoolers in charge of the diner call their guy friends to come, but they have to race to get there. Only the fastest group bringing the game of Twister will gain admittance. Tobin and JP are up for the challenge, but their other best (girl) friend, known as the Duke (long story) has to be talked into going with promises of hot, cheesy, onion-y hash browns.

Over the course of the evening, trying to make it up the big hill in the family minivan and racing the Reston Twins (fraternal), realizations are made with regard to feelings and hopes and attraction. And how taking a chance can be risky but ultimately rewarding.

The last story, The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle, ties everything up in a neat bundle. For Jubilee had met a sad Jeb on the train. He's not sure he still has a girlfriend, so he's miserable. But his gf/former gf/status unknown, Addie, is even more unhappy, especially when she is hit with some truth bombs about her self-centeredness. Certainly they're not serious! She just has a lot of drama. But there's an angel in the form of a senior citizen, a teacup pig and a journey that she needs to go on in order to even hope to get Jeb back. He's the love of her life and she is heartbroken without him. But is he done with her for good?

Really, there is nothing but good story here. I always love a tale where the stories are mashed up and you get to see things from all angles. It's certainly very clever and what's best is that the voices don't change from one writer to the next. It is seamless and hopeful and perfect.

Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle was published October 2, 2008 by Speak. I spent my hard-earned money on this. Gladly.

Rating: 4

Genre: Young Adult Fiction Contemporary Romance
Ages: 13 and up
on December 29, 2014
This book was great for the holidays! Oddly enough, I just watched Love Actually and these mini books remind me of that. I give it 4.5 stars. My favorite was the first one(by Maureen Johnson) and the other two tied. Warning: There may be TINY SPOILERS ahead
The first book by Maureen Johnson:
I loved it! My only problem was that I felt it should have been longer and the timing was a little confusing. I think it should have been lengthened to show what happened with Jubilee's transport(the train was stuck) and her parents (did they get out of jail?) I wondered if the train just left, bc days later she's at a Starbucks in the same town(little unrealistic). I did love how she ended up with Stuart and the whole story up to that point. I found that Jubilee was kind of like me, and I liked her personality.

A cheertastic Christmas Miracle by John Green:
Honestly, the first part of this book was extremely boring-there was no real action. Also, I never got attached to any of the characters. Normally I do, but with this... idk they just weren't that great. It kind of annoyed me how they dropped everything to go see cheerleaders. Basically summed up what I find wrong with many guys. On the plus side, in the end it worked out. Also, the small humor,(and the Duke) pulled it through.

The Patron Saint of Pigs by Lauren Myracle
Ok, so this one is kind of a mixed bag. First, the 3 girl characters seemed half bipolar( and slightly mean). The two supposed friends of Addie(who recently parted with her boyfriend and had a breakdown) are taking constructive criticism to a new level. I do think Addie was self absorbed and inconsiderate(for reasons I'll let you discover), but her friends put her down way too much and basically yelled at her when she did nothing extreme. In addition, the ending was not as climatic as the other books and frankly kind of underdone. Lastly, since when do 2 customers take up 2 hours? The book just seemed illogical- I say 3 stars. However, I did like the backstory and how in the end all the other stories got tied into this one Starbucks
I liked this set of 3 mini books, especially how everything was connected in the end. I think it would be a great movie!
on November 17, 2014
When I first got the book I thought it would be this “three-books-in-one” type of book, but it turned out to be this three chained holiday stories all piled up in to one! This is my first book that was written by three authors and I thought it’s pretty creative. The authors were able to express their writing styles on a section of the story where the were assigned to. In order to make the story look like it was written by one author, they managed to mutualized their individual styles and at the same time they also showed their own spark. The authors applied the modern lifestyle that is relevant today in their characters. Such as how the characters talk to each other and what is around them. For example, Starbucks, Target, iPods, teen relationships etc. which personally, I really enjoyed reading.

The book started off with the first holiday romance of Jubilee Dougal and Stuart Weintraub, written by the first author, Maureen Johnson. Johnson titled the first holiday romance as “The Jubilee Express”, which completely makes sense to the story since it started off when Jubilee’s train had to make a stop in a town called “Gracetown” due to a blizzard and ended up in a waffle house on Christmas Eve, where she met a target employee name Stuart Weintraub. Then the book transitioned to the next holiday romance of Tobin and “The Duke”, and written by one of my favorite authors! John Green. Green started the story off with three best friends named Tobin, the Duke, also known as Angie, and JP. The three of them casually sitting on a couch doing a movie marathon on Christmas Eve, then ended up on a “waffle house race” on a blizzard! And lastly, the book transitioned to the last holiday romance titled “The Patron Saint of Pigs”, written by Lauren Myracle. Myracle started off with a heartbroken teenager named Addie that is going through a crisis after breaking up with her good-looking boyfriend, Jeb. Throughout the story Addie pulls herself together, proved everybody she knew that she’s not what they thought she were and was able to have a Christmas Miracle. Others may not like the book since it is written by three authors, research about them so you won’t be disappointed. As I read this book, I never wanted to stop reading it! If could bring this while I’m in the shower I would! If you LOVE the holidays and you’d like to read some love stories that one of them is written by John Green, Maureen Johnson or Lauren Myracle, then this is PERFECT for you!