Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Outdoor Deals on DOTD Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon

VINE VOICEon September 20, 2011
Honor Gillette has to make a split-second decision that will save her and her four year old daughter from Lee Coburn an accused mass murderer. He says he is a victim of circumstance but Honor's only concern is their safety and what he plans to do with the gun pointed at her head. Coburn's mission is to absolve himself of the crimes he did not commit and find something hidden in Honor's house.

Whatever is driving Coburn to tear her house apart and terrorize her is nothing she knows anything about. Her late husband did not leave anything worth killing for and his death was accidental but Coburn begs to differ on all her accounts including the details she believes to be true about her late husband. As time goes by and more people wind up dead she starts to wonder who is telling the truth and who is pretending to.

Coburn has both saved Honor and terrorized her, yet as Honor asks questions his answers begin to make more sense about what he is doing. Going on the run was never on anyone's to do list but staying ahead of the local authorities and the FBI is a challenge she is showing she is up for and proving she is worth the risk Coburn is taking by keeping her with him.

As more people become involved in the manhunt for them, Coburn and Honor tear across the state in search of the key to unlock the secrets with absolutely no idea what they are looking for. The place they keep landing is her father in law's house and it is time for a showdown with him. Coburn believes the hunt for answers began there and will end there one way or another even if it involves tearing apart childhood dreams and momentos. But will Honor be able to protect her husband's reputation or is she helping Coburn prove him to be a dirty cop.

Meetings are set up, shots are fired, cars explode and the person behind Coburn believes is behind everything the elusive "Bookkeeper" is still lurking in the shadows. The mysterious "Bookkeeper" can't be found or identified but has been sending out the orders and running this nightmare organization from burn phones and secured emails.

Sandra Brown has proven year after year the incredible ability she has to write thrillers that draw you in and take you on a adventure. But this book far exceeds any in the past as it keeps you guessing as to who is the shadow boss, where is the key to the answers, and what is the motive behind all of this. Unbelievable barely scratches the surface of how great this book and when it all comes together you find yourself gasping with unexpected revelations. The only downside is Ms. Brown apparently likes to tease her fans with cliffhangers - which you have to read to understand.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2011
Excellent story, grabs your interest at the beginning. The "bad" guy is almost likeable from the start and the likeability grows. The main characters were all interesting and seemed well rounded, but beyond that you get dumped into a new chapter or section with another person and might not get back to the main characters for a while. There are a lot of extras in the book. Lots of surprises. I would have preferred a little more romance, but I wasn't upset about how little we got -- maybe because there was so much of Lee's thinking to take your mind off of it. However, I was so disappointed in the ending. All I can say is I need another book with either these characters or a book where they are prominent so that I can have the ending I would have expected. I honestly wondered if my book was missing pages when I remembered I was reading on the Kindle! Except for the occasional unnecessary violence that pops up in Ms. Brown's books, I love everything about her writing and stories. Mirror Image and Charade are the two that I recommend to anyone who hasn't read her books. I look forward to her books and I'm always satisfied with the mystery, the amount of suspense, and the romance -- always a good mix. Lethal just didn't have what I would call a complete ending -- I know what I think Ms. Brown wants us to think, but I would have liked two more paragraphs, two more pages, something.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2011
think this was the first Sandra Brown novel that I didn't absolutely race through holding my breath. Instead, I found myself a bit bored.

On the run for killing 7 men in a warehouse, Lee Coburn is on the run. He runs straight to Honor's house. Honor will do anything to protect her daughter Emily, so she allows Coburn into her house and even helps him search for something he say's her husband was hiding.

I have to say I usually feel a connection with the characters and I was expecting the same thing from this novel but it didn't feel the same. Something seemed a bit off.

There was plenty of action and lots of guesswork. I was kept guessing until the end and still wasn't sure even after the unexciting reveal of The Bookkeeper. One thing it wasn't was predictable. Which is always a positive thing in my opinion.

One thing it lacked for me was the romance that I am so used to in Sandra's books. I didn't feel the passion or the connection between them. Not to mention the ending lacked a bit of everything for me. There was no closure for me at all. I know some people won't mind the ending the way it was but I just can't stand leaving things up to me. Of course I could probably work through some things but I don't want to have to.

As I've said, Sandra is one of my favorite authors and one I look forward to every time a new book comes out. This one, however, was just alright for me.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2011
Loved it,lots of action, no time for romance in the relationship forming between the two main characters,
They do have the hots for each other though.
The end could have been a bit longer instead of letting us make it up with our imagination. I like to read the words to be satisfied.
This made me feel grumpy and disgruntled. I wanted to write Sandra and say "what the heck? Girl!"
on September 20, 2011
Sandra Brown has yet again written an excellent book to keep you captivated. I couldn't put it down. It is one of the few books I've read where I couldn't guess the ending or predict what was going to happen next. It was well written and why I love Sandra Brown so much. Well worth the money!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2011
Just finished reading Lethal - took me about 7 hours, reading straight through without stopping, snarling at anyone who dared try to talk to me while I was reading, taking it with me into the kitchen or bathroom... yeah, it's that good. I'd pre-ordered it (in hardback, which I usually won't do) and it was well worth the price. If you're a Sandra Brown fan, you'll definitely want to run out and grab this one. Just make sure you've got the time to read the whole thing, and maybe warn your family ahead of time... :o)
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2011
Loved this book. Love the character of Coburn. Wish we could see him pop back up in a future book! This was a great read!
on October 9, 2011
Sandra Brown is a very talented writer. Lethal was well written, interesting and suspenseful. I hated the ending because it really didn't end. I don't want to formulate my own endings. I pay for the book, you should give me a ending, whether I like the ending or not.
on September 20, 2011
If you have not bought this book, you really need to, that is all I am gonna say about it,, it is excellent,, I am not saying anymore about it because I do not wanna be a spoiler and she HK will be on soon enough telling you all about it and taking the joy out of it,, Job well done Sandra, !

Thanks for writing it for us.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2011
Honor tries to help an injured man lying on her lawn when he pulls a gun on her and takes her and her 4yr old daughter hostage.

Oh how I loved this story! With that being said, I didn't love the ending. If I didn't enjoy ALL the characters so much, I would have counted this one a 4 ½ because of the incomplete ending.

I was constantly trying to figure out the bad guy and trusting no one throughout the entire book. I did suspect the person that turned out to be the actual Bookkeeper as the villain, but I was going back and forth between that one and another.

Honor and Coburn had a great dynamic from the start. She was strong and capable, not some damsel who was in constant need of saving. One of the things I loved most about her is that not one time throughout this book do I recall yelling at her "That's so stupid. Why are you doing that?"

I enjoyed how the story took on different viewpoints of the secondary characters. I really got emerged in Tori and Bonnell's story as well as Diego and Isabel's. I was emotional about both.

The only thing about this book I didn't love is once again the end. I was flipping pages thinking maybe my copy was missing a few pages there at the end. You have to draw your own conclusions as to what happens with Lee and Honor, and I didn't really care for that. But this book did leave me wanting more and hoping for some kind of sequel.