Industrial Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now Tikes

on April 17, 2007
This is the best tasting shredded (= dessicated) coconut I have found anywhere in the USA. It is organic and sulfite free. This is the unsweetened, finely shredded, very small pieces of dessicated coconut which is used in South East Asia, Australia etc. This is not the same product as American style coconut, of which the most common type is Baker's sweetened angel flake coconut.

I like to buy finely shredded/dessicated coconut because I often bake Australian, British and European style cakes and cookies, which do not work well when made with flake coconut. I have also discovered that finely shredded coconut can be used to make your own coconut milk or coconut cream at home.

Flake coconut and dessicated coconut have a different taste and texture. A cup of sweetened angel flake coconut has about 2 tablespoons of sugar added to it, so it is very sweet compared to shredded/dessicated coconut, which has no added sugar at all. The shredded/dessicated coconut is drier and the pieces are very small compared to the flakes, so it has more surface area. Because of these two things, 8oz of dessicated coconut will absorb more liquid than 8oz of flake coconut. Some recipes will work quite well with either kind of coconut, but others will not, even if you compensate for the sugar and liquid. Its better, especially for baking, to use whatever the recipe originally calls for.

The coconut I received from Amazon tasted very fresh and had a good use by date. If you want to increase the shelf life of the coconut, throw the bags into the freezer or the refrigerator. They will keep there a year. Once a bag is opened, I always keep it in the refrigerator. I don't like buying this kind of coconut from health food stores, as it often comes in bulk bins and has been exposed to the air. Unsweetened organic coconut can get stale or even develop a rancid taste if it is stored open to the air. The sweetened flake coconut is much more stable because it contains preservatives and sugar.

If you are an Australian wanting to make things like lamingtons or coconut ice, you need to use dessicated/finely shredded cooconut. Flake coconut will not give the right results. Dessicated/finely shredded coconut is also excellent for replicating those little coconut macaroon cookies that you find in many Chinese buffet restaurants.

Shredded/dessicated coconut can be mixed with water to make your own coconut milk or coconut cream. I find this is useful because I rarely use more than 1/2 a can when I cook with coconut milk (curries, soups, laksa etc). Sometimes I only want a spoonful or two, to add a little flavor to a smoothie or a banana cake. I have tried making coconut milk from flake coconut, but for my taste, it was way too sweet and did not have a good texture.

To make coconut milk from dessicated coconut:

Method 1. Put equal parts of coconut and hot water by weight into a blender (eg 8oz coconut to 1 cup of hot water). Whizz in the blender for a minute or two. If desired, you can strain and press it through a cloth or a fine sieve when it has cooled down. This is not necessary for most recipes, unless you require a silky smooth texture for the end product. For a lighter coconut milk, use 8oz of coconut to one and a half cups of water, or you can use "lite" shredded coconut to start with.

Method 2.

Simmer equal parts by weight of coconut with hot water until froth appears. Do not boil. Remove from heat and let it sit until it cools down. If desired, you can strain it through a cloth bag or a very fine sieve, pressing out as much liquid as possible.

To make a thick coconut cream from dessicated coconut:

Use either method above, but use 4 parts of coconut to one part of water.

I thought the price from Amazon was excellent, especially for an organic product. At the time of purchase, it worked out at one dollar forty two cents per 8oz bag and in my case, shipping was free. I can't find organic dessicated coconut anywhere else at this price.

Overall I was very pleased with the taste, freshness, price and quality of this coconut. I don't think that I will have any problems using up the 12 packets in one year, especially as I won't be buying any cans of coconut milk.
1919 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2007
I use plenty of this product regularly when making ice cream, cookies, cakes etc... I find that this product has a sort of natural sweetness or flavor on its own. Because of this much less added sugar is needed in baked goodies and in some cases added sugar is eliminated. To obtain this, i use this organic unsweetened coconut in combination with organic whole milk.
on July 27, 2007
Essentially the price is 2.65/lb. This is a really good deal. I bought 24 of this earlier (to take advantage of free shipping) and I love it. It's full of the healthy saturated fat that the Weston A. Price Foundation praises. I go through each package in about 3 days, sometimes 2. I just sprinkle it on my meat and vegetables.

The product itself has a nice natural sweetness to it. It doesn't taste too much different from sweetened coconut. It's nice to finally purchase a quality functional food that's cheap.
on February 15, 2009
This is the most natural and most delicious shredded coconut I have found anywhere, and the price here was fantastic compared to my local health food store. I keep it in the freezer and it stays fresh for months. Oh it's SO good!
on February 9, 2008
Delicious, organic. I use it in my (gluten free) cereal. I find that it needs no sweetener. It is great in smoothies, and with berries in yogurt. Excellent for baking as well. A good way to get coconut oil without the richness of it. Highly recommended.
on September 23, 2011
I wasn't quite sure what I'd do with so much coconut, but I've started using 1/4 cup of this mixed with water in my Vitamix as a base for daily smoothies... like home-made coconut milk (without the preservatives.!
on August 2, 2013
We are coconut lovers, especially coming from the part of India where everything starts and ends with coconut. Unfortunately we have not been consistently getting good fresh coconut in this part of the world. We have been on the lookout for a way to satisfy our craving for good coconut. Our only other alternative was to use frozen coconut from local Indian stores. Even though we have been seeing dried coconut in wholefoods, we were skeptical about the freshness and the wholesomeness. After extensive research on the web, we found that there were many others like us, and they were using and recommending this brand of Organic dehydrated shredded coconut. We got our first batch a few months back and have been using it since. Extremely happy with the quality of the coconut. We have tried so many recipes, including desserts, entrees and also fresh coconut milk.

Highly recommended :)

here are some nice recipes using this coconut:
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2010
As someone who has lived in the Caribbean and is therefore very familiar with coconuts in all forms, I am very disappointed with this product. The coconut is dry, stale and lacking in flavor. None of the mildly sweet, deliciously unique flavor of dried coconut is present here. Save your money and look elsewhere for a superior product.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2015
We love this. It's just organic coconut with no additives. I use this, a blender, and a nut milk bag to make coconut milk. Each 8-oz. bag makes half a gallon of coconut milk. I blend for 2-3 minutes with 4 cups of water, then strain through the nut milk bag, repeat with the pulp from the bag, then add enough water to make half a gallon. We add a touch of stevia and a little vanilla, and I blend with a teaspoon of sunflower lecithin to keep it from separating. This is the most inexpensive way we've found to make coconut milk for drinking and recipes, and as a bonus, we don't get any of the nasty stuff from canned coconut milk.
on May 8, 2013
I wanted shredded coconut to use in cookies and other recipes. The coconut was called finely shredded. I never imagined it was so finely shredded that it would be small bits of coconut.
Someone may want to use this coconut in a recipe where you really don't want it to be apparent that you have included coconut in the ingredients.